• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmaaaooooooo they keep buying studios I absolutely do not care about, wild.

Sony, gon head and figure something out with Square, pls though. Under no circumstances…

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Holy Mother of God, Satya Nadellla is a dangerous man, any gaming CEO should be afraid. This man will try to buy every studio/publisher lol

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Crash is more alive now. They need him more to round out their GamePass offering.

Banjo is not a priority since Rare is working Sea of Thieves, which has been crazy successful.
I hope you're right and they take Toys for Bob off Call of Duty and let them do their thing with Crash. That would be the only exciting thing about this acquisition to me.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
The biggest magic trick Microsoft ever pulled was getting people to be ok about these acquisitions of massive publishers 'cos gamepass'.

As for cleaning up the culture at Activision, Kotick is one of the biggest winners out of all of this with the paycheck he just got.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
www.videogameschronicle.com

Bobby Kotick will remain as Activision Blizzard CEO after Microsoft announcement | VGC

The Xbox company confirms that the controversial exec will keep his current role…

Kotick is staying.

A slight spin - once the deal closes the company will report to Phil Spencer. It's at that point Bobby will slowly ride off on his yacht set for life. They obviously won't say this currently as investors want to see things remaining fairly steady. However he didn't just agree a sell out of the entire business so he can sit there still running it, this is a retirement plan.

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: console warring
I'd love to see whether the people saying it's a bad move and claiming anti-trust are PlayStation owners.

I definitely think there'll be some Xbox owners who think it's a bit much consolidation but I also think if Sony had made this move, there might have been less people saying it's concerning.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
WTF. Time for Sony and Nintendo to start working together.
I feel like the industry for a long time was dealing with Xbox without Microsoft and forgot that beyond Xbox, Microsoft contends for being one of the most valuable companies in the world (either first or second with Apple) far outscaling Sony and Nintendo. Do the others even have the capability to make an acquisition like this? They'd have to buy Take Two for GTA or EA to compete.

Hmm you're looking at it in a very different way than I am. I hate having to switch between my Series X and PS5, depending on where I played a game or where my friends are or where my data is. Most of my historical data is on the Xbox. But I have a PS5 for the exclusives. This just makes it all the more easier to ensure that my online gaming is done on the Series X (especially if I know my friends will be playing CoD on the Xbox and not on the PS5), and use my PS5 as an exclusives box.
I'm just saying you don't get much sticking with a company through thick and thin. Brand loyalty isn't in your favor.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Makes Bethesda acquisition look small, absolutely enormous deal.

Folks are deluding themselves if they don't think won't shape the landscape of gaming. It will, and it will significantly.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'd say come to the table and make some deals.
If I'm Microsoft, I'm asking for every Marvel game Sony publishes, Sunset Overdrive and Resistance (if Sony decides to bring them back).
Any other title can be on a case by case basis, but this way everyone makes money.
Microsoft needs to be careful here.
Don't make it look like you're throwing your weight around, and if you offer your games and services to a rival platform, your fans are going to want to see something in return.
I don't think any level-headed Xbox fan is going to complain if COD continues to be sold on Playstation if it means Xbox players can play Spider-Man and Wolverine.

nah you can keep your cod.

Nevada

Dec 3, 2017
now, the hot question is... we all know Bobby is being transferred to MSFT now. but is he staying?
Spencer is risking quite a lot by keeping him.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh wow that's quite the move…

…Kinda getting worried now, feel like it's only a matter of time before MS starts buying up Japanese companies, oof. Hopefully MS get's rid of Kotick and the rest of the trash at Acti-Blizz.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
CoD is a massive game everywhere. I'm assuming they would still release it multi platform. Game pass makes playing on Xbox more enticing.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time for Relic to work on Starcraft 3.

I think it's great ! I can see some IPs being worked on by various M$ studios. Can't wait !

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me?!

*Checks date*

I had thought maybe we skipped 3 months and it was April 1.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
They have now lost:

The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Doom
Starfield
Wolfenstein
Call of Duty
Diablo

They will *not* be fine. If they want to survive they will need to acquire at least something like Take 2 with GTA.

Once Cod go exclusive it'll be major blow to Sony, bigger than Bethesda imo. I don't play Cod, but boy this thing is huge!

Oct 28, 2017
Zyvy1Hk.jpg

Syinn

Jun 14, 2021
Is it sustainable?!!??!!.

This is crazy, MS is becoming the Disney of games. They're going all in now as they know this is where the industry is going and those gamepass numbers prove it. Is any studio really safe after these megaton buys?

Status
Not open for further replies.