• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One is cheaper than the other, so people that want to jump in sooner but don't want to spend so much can choose the lower price option.
I can't believe they're going to go through with this (if true). Never in the history of videa-games has this ever worked (Xbox 360 Arcade, PS3 20GB) and if anything sometimes stifled development for years afterwards.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
What's their rationale for having two different models at launch?
Same rationale they had with 360 with the Core and Pro model.

Different price points for different budgets. This time it's a greater difference but as long as both models are viable, it'll work.

Interested in see exact details today.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So they can claim to be both more powerful AND cheaper than the PS5. Pretty smart move.

But they aren't. Its going to be either more powerful OR cheaper, not both, and maybe even nothing comparible to PS5 (if one assumes that will be at a mass market price).

Same rationale they had with 360 with the Core and Pro model.

Different price points for different budgets. This time it's a greater difference but as long as both models are viable, it'll work.

Interested in see exact details today.
I just don't see it. No one is gonna want the weaker console if they're jumping into next get at launch. Now a cheaper console 1-2 years down the road? Sure. I just don't know.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they're going to go through with this (if true). Never in the history of videa-games has this ever worked (Xbox 360 Arcade, PS3 20GB) and if anything sometimes stifled development for years afterwards.
It's a risk but it may work.

If the lower end is a X replacement with Zen I can see it being maybe viable.

It'll be aimed for non 4K gamers. The scalability of game engines nowadays means that the extra power is used for resolution and effects, while both consoles will obviously work with XCloud and the rest of the new Xbox platform.

It may just be a truly stupid idea but as consoles are a weird bubble where it's flagship or nothing, this approach may just work. Or it'll go pft!

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
But they aren't. Its going to be either more powerful OR cheaper, not both, and maybe even nothing comparible to PS5 (if one assumes that will be at a mass market price).

I just don't see it. No one is gonna want the weaker console if they're jumping into next get at launch. Now a cheaper console 1-2 years down the road? Sure. I just don't know.
How many people even here state they have no interest in a 4K TV.

If there's no functionality difference between the two, and at 1080p it is roughly the same experience it may work out.

Especially for developing markets. A high priced premium console may not hit the marks outside of US and Western Europe while a cheaper one that can do most of the next gen features yet cost a lot less may well be more welcome.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Here come the specs police to shoot down your hopes and dreams. Just have fun tomorrow everyone. Erase all expectations.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I really hope Sony has two skus in terms of power. Might be a pipedream so fuck it.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I already have my Anaconda, it's my gaming PC, can't wait for Microsoft to announce new exclusives for that and PC GamePass line up

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
Well no, not in the same box obviously. But they'll have both those options compared to the PS5, which seems like an excellent strategy marketing wise.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Well I meant in terms of the same ecosystem.

No way, if anything they could have a throwaway line of "we have one SKU so devs can focus on making the best possible experience" and that's a fairly easy PR line to tow.

That is what I meant. Like have 95% of the audience buy the basic model and us snobs buy the premium one.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
No way, if anything they could have a throwaway line of "we have one SKU so devs can focus on making the best possible experience" and that's a fairly easy PR line to tow.
This is not nearly as catchy as let's say "you can jump in to next gen for just 299 and play all the new games with your friends at FULL HD or if you are an enthusiast, you can go all out with our Premium Model, the most powerful console on the planet, X times as fast as our competitor"

Non gaming media will pick this up as: "MS has shown their Next-Gen offering today which is significantly more advanced compared to its main competitor sony. The company says the starting model of the game console will launch at 299 and the premium option will go up to 699. Sonys console will start at 449."

At least that's what they are planning I imagine.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Is that actually true though? I don't think the 360 Arcade edition sold more, but I could be wrong.
Different times and totally different price point arguments.

One was pointless to do because of the requirement of a HDD to actually use the console properly.

This will be the full experience but with less graphic prowess. Like the X Vs S. The key is that the base unit doesn't feel underwhelming compared to the PS5 because that'll be the comparison point.

If MS are smart, they'll make the CPU and GPU on the base model comparable to PS5 power but maybe missing stuff like a huge SSD etc to make it cheaper than the Sony console. The higher end model would be more powerful and match the other features of PS5.

If the selling points are "As good as the PS5 for games but cheaper, and a better premium experience for those who want it" it can work.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Make me hungry again MS, been losing my interest in games for the past couple of years and that sucks. (Hopefully) New hardware announcements e3 presser is still lots of fun though!

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a weird feeling for me this. I'm usually excited about new hardware but honestly I'm not ready. Going from an Xbox One which for me was the worst console I've ever owned and then to the Xbox One X which didn't feel like a mid gen upgrade, it felt like a a brand new generation of hardware, the thing is a beast. I just cant get excited for yet more new hardware from MS, I still feel like theres so much more potential in my Xbox One X left. But then I'm left with the feeling if I don't upgrade to scarlett am i getting left behind, am I missing out etc you know. I feel like the PS4 is different in this respect, I feel like theres lots to improve upon, power, features, fan issues etc. I just dont see aside from pure power how you improve over the X, it's almost perfect.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird feeling for me this. I'm usually excited about new hardware but honestly I'm not ready. Going from an Xbox One which for me was the worst console I've ever owned and then to the Xbox One X which didn't feel like a mid gen upgrade, it felt like a a brand new generation of hardware, the thing is a beast. I just cant get excited for yet more new hardware from MS, I still feel like theres so much more potential in my Xbox One X left. But then I'm left with the feeling if I don't upgrade to scarlett am i getting left behind, am I missing out etc you know. I feel like the PS4 is different in this respect, I feel like theres lots to improve upon, power, features, fan issues etc. I just dont see aside from pure power how you improve over the X, it's almost perfect.
The CPU on the X is still awful.

A new gen will allow developers to work to a decent CPU which will allow for better AI, physics, and lots more besides.

It'll help stuff like the OS too which chugs quite a bit.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I think it's kinda stupid for them 2 have both at launch. The smart thing is just start with the base console, then a couple years later release the more powerful console and then you get the double dippers. I suppose if they launch both it is better for consumers since you can just buy the more powerful one at launch instead of double dipping, unless they still come out with a pro or x model a few years later.

If it was me, I would have just kept the xbox one x as the base console and then launch with the lower specced console, then 2 years later bring out the pro model and then discontinue the xbox one x.

Also to think about it, the lower specced console could be just a streaming box, then that would make sense with what they are doing

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Well I meant in terms of the same ecosystem.

I would imagine that the logic behind releasing two systems is the same. The console market seems to be comprised of two main groups: core gamers, who will buy these devices at launch when the value proposition isn't that great, and the budget conscious who will be looking for the cheapest way to play next -gen games. Having the power advantage means that you can entice core console gamers that won't mind a higher price and having the price advantage means that you can pull in the budget conscious with a device that is cheaper than the competition throughout the generation.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like 75% sure I won't ever end up buying one, and I still can't wait to hear more.

Let's get this shit going.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Xbox devs will have to support a range a PC configurations anyway, so it would be a wasted opportunity not to take advantage of a cheaper option. If the only significant differences are a GPU aimed at 1080p, and less frame buffer memory, they could have a console roughly comparable to PS5, just aimed at 1080p screens, and at a lower price. Not a bad strategy.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would imagine that the logic behind releasing two systems is the same. The console market seems to be comprised of two main groups: core gamers, who will buy these devices at launch when the value proposition isn't that great, and the budget conscious who will be looking for the cheapest way to play next -gen games. Having the power advantage means that you can entice core console gamers that won't mind a higher price and having the price advantage means that you can pull in the budget conscious with a device that is cheaper than the competition throughout the generation.
The cheapest and more popular option to play next gen games is PS4 and Xbox one. There will be cross gen games for a couple years. Sony will be using PS5 for Core gamers and PS4 for the cheaper gamers.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The cheapest and more popular option to play next gen games is PS4 and Xbox one. There will be cross gen games for a couple years. Sony will be using PS5 for Core gamers and PS4 for the cheaper gamers.

At some point developers will stop developing for the current generation. Then customers will have to buy a new console and many will go for the cheaper one.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At some point developers will stop developing for the current generation. Then customers will have to buy a new console and many will go for the cheaper one.
By that time you ensure you are the dominant console and then price won't matter as much . Xbox one is cheaper a lot of the time but PS4 still sales more.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I have zero intention of buying a console but the hype still manages to pull me in.

If I wasn't planning on getting nary a console, I don't think I'd be excited for either showcase. But I'm gonna be a day one PS5 owner guaranteed, so even just looking at the sort of games that'll be on next-gen Xbox hardware benefits me.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
If I wasn't planning on getting nary a console, I don't think I'd be excited for either showcase. But I'm gonna be a day one PS5 owner guaranteed, so even just looking at the sort of games that'll be on next-gen Xbox hardware benefits me.
That's true. I play on PC so the conference is still very relevant to me. I was more referring to the talk about the specs and different models. That's very interesting to me even though I don't intend on buying any.

Enjoy the conference its supposed to be one for the ages.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Make me hungry again MS, been losing my interest in games for the past couple of years and that sucks. (Hopefully) New hardware announcements e3 presser is still lots of fun though!

Ever thought of trying VR? Reignited my whole passion/desire to play games again, Which then translated back to flat gaming again.

Sometimes you just need a complete new way to experience a video game.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Exciting. Let's see what they show, would be surprised if they showed too much of it yet, if it is indeed releasing holiday 2020.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Ready for an Xbox comeback. Loved the 360 to death.

Ready to see next gen games! I'm already very happy with current gen tech and have a tough time thinking about vastly superior graphics!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's kinda stupid for them 2 have both at launch. The smart thing is just start with the base console, then a couple years later release the more powerful console and then you get the double dippers. I suppose if they launch both it is better for consumers since you can just buy the more powerful one at launch instead of double dipping, unless they still come out with a pro or x model a few years later.

If it was me, I would have just kept the xbox one x as the base console and then launch with the lower specced console, then 2 years later bring out the pro model and then discontinue the xbox one x.

Also to think about it, the lower specced console could be just a streaming box, then that would make sense with what they are doing
The lower spec is designed to play next ten games at 1080p 60FPS.

It's for people without the need for 4K.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If those specs in the other thread are true, then my prediction for Holiday 2020:

Xbox Anaconda - $579 (they'll want to avoid any references to $599)
Xbox Lockhart - $399
Xbox One S - $249
Xbox One S All Digital - $199

Xbox One X gets discontinued

I think PS5 is targeting a $499 price.

Well, Scarlet will be backwards compatible, so of course all the games will play on it.
Anaconda should aim for 499 tbh.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I like the fact that they are launching the standard and "pro" versions side by side. When Sony announced the Pro version I was annoyed, to say the least as I would always prefer to own the better hardware. My normal PS4 is usable but has a fault that makes it pretty much unsellable (unless I cheat people which I am not going to do), so I never upgraded to Pro, mostly out of spite. I know, I know....

At least Microsoft are giving the option to get the "better" console out of the door (unless they release another even better one two years down the road, which is there no guarantee they won't).

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
People have no problems dropping £1000 on a new phone.

MS should look into the mobile phone market for inspiration, a 24 month contract to cover the console cost and mandatory Xbox Gold subscription.

Console can be a higher price, better specs and more accessible.