• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
If those specs in the other thread are true, then my prediction for Holiday 2020:

Xbox Anaconda - $579 (they'll want to avoid any references to $599)
Xbox Lockhart - $399
Xbox One S - $249
Xbox One S All Digital - $199

Xbox One X gets discontinued

I think PS5 is targeting a $499 price.

Well, Scarlet will be backwards compatible, so of course all the games will play on it.

Lol, what? Xbox One X will be the base cheaper version of next generation. While the Xbox One S and Digital being left out.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, what? Xbox One X will be the base cheaper version of next generation. While the Xbox One S and Digital being left out.
The One X currently sells for $499. You expect them to cut the price by $200+ dollars by next holiday?

They'll want to have a ~$199 console on the market. The One S still fits that role.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
If Microsoft prices their next generation of systems around $700 to $999 PlayStation will have a higher advantage again for next generation.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The One X currently sells for $499. You expect them to cut the price by $200+ dollars by next holiday?

They'll want to have a ~$199 console on the market. The One S still fits that role.
The S version and Digital version are older hardware. It would be impossible for devs to Port games to those hardware in the long run. While the X version could run it on medium setting. Gotta think and yes they could price the X version for $300. While the next generation of systems could cost around $400 to $500 to $600.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just cut the price to $399 on the Xbox One X, I don't see this happening in 2019.

Want to get really wild? A new Xbox this year and Halo Infinite launches with it.

I'll buy it for $700.

I'm Canadian, I expect it to be at least that.

The S version and Digital version are older hardware. It would be impossible for devs to Port games to those hardware in the long run. While the X version could run it on medium setting. Gotta think and yes they could price the X version for $300. While the next generation of systems could cost around $400 to $500 to $600.

Every new gen there are cross-gen games. Sony supports its hardware for like 10 years. I trhink the old way of doing things where you have to upgrade is slowly evaporating. Even the Switch had its biggest game on two different systems. Eventually yes, the old hardware needs to be phased out but it will still get support for at least a few years post launch of the new system.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
If they announce a new Rallisport Challenge game I will flip my shit (and preorder ASAP). I loooved those games on the Xbox.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Again PlayStation would have a higher advantage again.
MS isn't really going to care as much about console sales next gen though. They just care about XBL and Game Pass subscriptions, and if they can bring Game Pass to more and more devices then they really won't mind if their expensive enthusiast console isn't selling as well as Playstation.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
phil-spencer-gif-4.gif

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft prices their next generation of systems around $700 to $999 PlayStation will have a higher advantage again for next generation.

Don't they have low-end and high-end models? They can release a cheap console and an expensive console.

Microsoft will probably care more about gamepass and xcloud subscriptions than console sales anyway.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

We're already seeing hints of a price drop at some point, the One X is $399 right now for the E3 sale. I don't think it would be too far of a guess to see that same sale come Black Friday. If they're launching a new console next year, I could absolutely see the price being $299 at the very least by holiday 2020. The One S launched in the middle of 2016, I don't think it makes too much sense to keep a 4+ year old machine as one of their SKUs.

The One S is starting to struggle on current software, much less "next-gen" games that will probably be developed with 4K in mind.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019

Let's play a game of people complaining about the prices.

If Xbox prices the system higher than the PS5 is going to be. The news media and the gaming community would use that as an advantage to bring down the next powerful Xbox. Here's the narrative I see happening.

• Why would I pay premium pricing when I can get PS5 and still get those games.
Many other narratives could happen. But I rather wait and see what happens. Before making actual assumptions and predictions. Who knows I maybe wrong, they could easily price it at $2000 and it would destroy PS5 in sales.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Let's play a game of people complaining about the prices.

If Xbox prices the system higher than the PS5 is going to be. The news media and the gaming community would use that as an advantage to bring down the next powerful Xbox. Here's the narrative I see happening.

• Why would I pay premium pricing when I can get PS5 and still get those games.
Many other narratives could happen. But I rather wait and see what happens. Before making actual assumptions and predictions. Who knows I maybe wrong, they could easily price it at $2000 and it would destroy PS5 in sales.
Again, Lockhart is most likely to be priced below PS5.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
MS isn't really going to care as much about console sales next gen though. They just care about XBL and Game Pass subscriptions, and if they can bring Game Pass to more and more devices then they really won't mind if their expensive enthusiast console isn't selling as well as Playstation.
I have to agree. They seem to have software more in mind this time around. Selling subs seems like more inline with thier vision and whats been working well so far for them.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
How many code names and boxes are releasing, haha. Confusing launch will equal poor sales, although we will never know as they dont release numbers

Oct 29, 2017
What I find hard to understand is if MS release Lockhart (lower end) and then Scarlett (higher end) are they not crippling the performance difference between both consoles? Surely they'll have to water it down for Lockhart and won't be able to use the full potential for scarlett?? Doesn't quite make sense...?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt you'll be seeing exclusive games for either console for a couple years. I feel like both MS and Sony are going to want to keep things cross gen for as long as possible.
Sony will have PS5 only games and cross gen titles. Microsoft I'm not sure if they will have next gen Xbox only games right away. I would like them to support VR however with full Oculus and Vive support too.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they surprise us with a Spring 2020 release + full backward compatability day one

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What I find hard to understand is if MS release Lockhart (lower end) and then Scarlett (higher end) are they not crippling the performance difference between both consoles? Surely they'll have to water it down for Lockhart and won't be able to use the full potential for scarlett?? Doesn't quite make sense...?
There are ways to easily fix it, like you do on PC.

Lockhart could be 1080p 60
Scarlett could be 4k 60

That could be an easily way to do it without needing to cripple Scarlett.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
I'm always amazed at how quick you guys post here.

I'm really hoping we'll see a new Xbox Elite controller tomorrow.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they surprise us with a Spring 2020 release + full backward compatability day one

I'm sure that there will be full backwards compatibility with Xbox One, but I would be surprised by a spring 2020 release.

_______

I really doubt you'll be seeing exclusive games for either console for a couple years. I feel like both MS and Sony are going to want to keep things cross gen for as long as possible.

I'm going to copy/paste what I said in another thread haha —

I honestly thought it was pretty obvious this past year or so that Xbox games during the early 2020s will more than likely be on both the Xbox One family and Xbox Scarlett family with scaling between all. Microsoft's current compatibility strategy (on top of the fact that Halo Infinite still hasn't been shown yet) would pretty much fit with this.

The upcoming consoles having compatibility with the previous gen will make cross gen titles during the early life of the new consoles a no brainer. You're literally missing out on money and users for the sake of pretty pointless exclusivity — especially in this era of crossplay.

I'm sure that the majority of Next Xbox and PS5 games during the first two years of both systems lives will be third party. I'm also positive that Sony will still sell slim PS4s and that Microsoft will still sell Xbox One S models. Both will be cheap by that point. The Next Xbox and the PS5 will be backwards compatible too obviously. Therefore, the early libraries of the PS5 & Next Xbox will more than likely be bogged down a bit from 2013 model/spec PS4 & Xbox One support. I don't think this will hurt the sales of the PS5 and Next Xbox in any major way though. "Next gen hype" should still be large. For example, the visual improvement of multiplats like NBA 2K, FIFA, and Destiny alongside their great marketing helped the launches of PS4 & Xbox One far more than their early true exclusive games.

I never see the PC gamers that I know that play at ultra settings complain about PC gamers that play at far lower settings and how it "holds them back". I think things will honestly be fine. You'll get some complainers due to them being used to previous typical game console transitions, but I think they'll be a very small group.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Plain and simple:

If Scarlet and PS5 games will all work on the Xbox One X and PS4, I'm not upgrading.

I'm sick of buying new consoles. Just give me the same games at 1080p on my current hardware and I'm happy.

Put me on the DO NOT CARE ABOUT 4K list.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
With this so close I feel like a moron for buying an Xbox One X. Hopefully GameStop will offer a decent trade-in towards the new system for it.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
If they show some of next-gen... it stands to reason we could see next-gen games... perhaps like the Harry Potter game from WB since none of the DC studios are showing up.