• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Alrighty, so I'm currently in the market for a 2-in-1 laptop to use for college work (mainly because I'm a math / science dude, so notetaking is huge for me because typing out math stuff SUCKS). Surfaces seem quite appealing to me because of the detachable screen, which sounds great for note taking and general lesisure time. However, I'm not exactly experienced with these things...

I'm currently looking at the Surface Go vs the Pro 7. I'd actually love a Surface Book but those seem to be QUITE pricey.

So for anyone who has the Surface Go, do the specs hamstring it too much? I like the price, and any video gaming I'd do would be limited to lo-fi indie games since my brother already has a gaming laptop. All I'd do is browse the web, take notes, and maybe some coding in python / octave.

That being said, if the Surface Go 2 is too compromised, I don't mind going for the Surface Pro 7 either. How is the "lapability" with those in particular? If that's poor, that's not a deal breaker for me or anything to be clear, but I'm curious about that!

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Alrighty, so I'm currently in the market for a 2-in-1 laptop to use for college work (mainly because I'm a math / science dude, so notetaking is huge for me because typing out math stuff SUCKS). Surfaces seem quite appealing to me because of the detachable screen, which sounds great for note taking and general lesisure time. However, I'm not exactly experienced with these things...

I'm currently looking at the Surface Go vs the Pro 7. I'd actually love a Surface Book but those seem to be QUITE pricey.

So for anyone who has the Surface Go, do the specs hamstring it too much? I like the price, and any video gaming I'd do would be limited to lo-fi indie games since my brother already has a gaming laptop. All I'd do is browse the web, take notes, and maybe some coding in python / octave.

That being said, if the Surface Go 2 is too compromised, I don't mind going for the Surface Pro 7 either. How is the "lapability" with those in particular? If that's poor, that's not a deal breaker for me or anything to be clear, but I'm curious about that!

I have been using the Surface Go 2 for about a week now. I ordered a Go 2 and a Pro X because I wasn't sure which one I would prefer. The only issue with power I've had with my Go 2 (M3 processor) is when I was running my 4K monitor off it and doing a video call with screensharing. I actually had to hang up completely and switch to my Mac Mini because it got so bad. However I was specifically trying to test the limits of what it is capable of. For my other work, which includes writing, web browsing, calendar and doc stuff it has all been fine. I don't think it is a machine that will be capable of doing these tasks for more than a couple of years though. With my normal writing and light work I'm usually sitting at around 70% processor usage which means it's trying really hard to power those tasks.

The actually size of the Go I really like but that comes with the issue of the small keyboard. I have been able to get used to it but it is definitely too small and I do make a lot more mistakes than normal. For my writing it is ok because it's never more than 1000 words at a time so it's not a deal breaker but it is one of the reasons why I'm leaning more towards returning the Go 2 and keeping the Pro X. I'm getting the Pro X sometime next week (Covid delays) at which point I'm going to use that for a week and see which one I prefer. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Pro X though.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

Recently got a Surface Pro 7 which is fast and great at everything I have thrown at it, including raw photo editing. The Go is an appealing form factor for me but it's still a little ways to go in juice per dollar, but I haven`t tried it so don't take my word for it.

SP7 is pretty big for lap work on the couch if you` re used to ipads, but ideal for notes and drawing pen use on a table, detached from the keyboard. The keyboards are also v good, though not cheap.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a used surface pro 3. Battery sucked shit. I do repair. Bought a battery. Cracked side of glass where windows logo is (not on screen)

ok great. Replace battery. New battery is defective. Well fuck. This is making this purchase not even worth it for me lol.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
The wife snagged a pair of Surface Headphones 2, the sound is certainly better than the Beats that I have been using, but I don't have any other reference. They are comfortable as hell too. She's going to use them for conference calls and music next week.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

Surface Pro is excellent for lap usage imo, especially if you go for the i5 which has passive cooling. Windows kinda sucks for tablet UI compared to ipad, but I used my surface pro 4 and 6 in slate form during meetings and lectures for years.

edit:
I just spent some time with onenote this morning in tablet mode and it seems much improved. I can definitely recommend the Surface Pro as a great option for note taking.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Major thread bump - I got a Surface Pro 7 today to replace my 4.5 year old Surface Pro 4, although I'm now hearing rumours about the Surface Pro 8 for October this year including a small bezel. I haven't opened the Pro 7 yet so is it worth sending it back and just waiting it out a little longer to see how the Pro 8 holds up?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Best guess is it's coming out in October, unless COVID. Rumors of a redesign has floated around for a while.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Major thread bump - I got a Surface Pro 7 today to replace my 4.5 year old Surface Pro 4, although I'm now hearing rumours about the Surface Pro 8 for October this year including a small bezel. I haven't opened the Pro 7 yet so is it worth sending it back and just waiting it out a little longer to see how the Pro 8 holds up?
Difficult to know for sure! How much would it inconvenience you? The Surface Pro 7 is a nice machine but the SP8 should be a better refresh. That said, they just released the Surface Book 3 with no cosmetic changes.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Difficult to know for sure! How much would it inconvenience you? The Surface Pro 7 is a nice machine but the SP8 should be a better refresh. That said, they just released the Surface Book 3 with no cosmetic changes.

It wouldn't inconvenience me massively, my Pro 4 works nicely but I just wanted a fresh as the battery only lasts a couple of hours these days with the type cover plugged in. Interesting that the Book 3 had no cosmetic changes though. What are the chances that they reduce the bezel on the Pro 8 to be more inline with the Surface Laptop and Pro X?

May 25, 2019
London

About a month or two ago, I asked someone who may or may not have an connection to Microsoft about Surface Pro 8's date being impacted by Covid and slipping beyond this fall...they said they weren't sure if Microsoft would release a "Pro 8", but that there would probably be a Surface product

Reading between the lines on that, I wonder if they are merging Surface Pro X and Surface Pro 7 and just making the form factor of the X the new standard going forward

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
About a month or two ago, I asked someone who may or may not have an connection to Microsoft about Surface Pro 8's date being impacted by Covid and slipping beyond this fall...they said they weren't sure if Microsoft would release a "Pro 8", but that there would probably be a Surface product

Reading between the lines on that, I wonder if they are merging Surface Pro X and Surface Pro 7 and just making the form factor of the X the new standard going forward

Interesting. Then I wonder if the next Surface Pro will use ARM or Intel.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. Then I wonder if the next Surface Pro will use ARM or Intel.

It's unlikely that they can use Intel in the Surface Pro X body. You should wait but I don't think there will be a massive redesign if the Pro 8 is released. I think it's clear with the Pro X that they are moving forward. It's just uncertain in what way that will be.

Basically, either the Pro 8 won't get much of a redesign or we will see something completely new.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Most definitely Intel, but it is overdue for a form factor shake-up

It's unlikely that they can use Intel in the Surface Pro X body. You should wait but I don't think there will be a massive redesign if the Pro 8 is released. I think it's clear with the Pro X that they are moving forward. It's just uncertain in what way that will be.

Basically, either the Pro 8 won't get much of a redesign or we will see something completely new.

The temptation to hold out is rising. It's just that uncertainty, and I like the current Surface Pro form factor, with the only 'blemish' being the bezels really.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
The temptation to hold out is rising. It's just that uncertainty, and I like the current Surface Pro form factor, with the only 'blemish' being the bezels really.

Have you used the Surface Pro X? The Pro 7 feels like a donkey next to it. I have a Pro X and everything about the design, build, screen quality etc is amazing.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Have you used the Surface Pro X? The Pro 7 feels like a donkey next to it. I have a Pro X and everything about the design, build, screen quality etc is amazing.

Pro X is easily the sexist Surface Pro product. Next to my Surface Pro 4 (Which I adore) there's no comparison. If I had a reason to replace my Pro 4 I'd get the Pro X. Warts and all.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
It's that much better? Need to get my hands on one. Shame all the Microsoft Stores are closing.

It really is, the screen is gorgeous. It's better than my wife's 12.9" iPad Pro or my touchbar MacBook Pro and the design as a whole feels so much nicer. It's so thin, it has tiny bezels etc. Every timeI see a Pro 7 in a store it looks ancient in comparison.

If your usage is fine with ARM it's absolutely the best one to get.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It really is, the screen is gorgeous. It's better than my wife's 12.9" iPad Pro or my touchbar MacBook Pro and the design as a whole feels so much nicer. It's so thin, it has tiny bezels etc. Every timeI see a Pro 7 in a store it looks ancient in comparison.

It sounds really appealing. To be honest my main concerns would be performance vs. a 10th Gen i5 Surface Pro 7, and also app compatibility. I use PhotoShop CC for example and I've read that only 64-bit apps that have been ported will run on the device?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds really appealing. To be honest my main concerns would be performance vs. a 10th Gen i5 Surface Pro 7, and also app compatibility. I use PhotoShop CC for example and I've read that only 64-bit apps that have been ported will run on the device?

You are correct, it probably wouldn't work for your use case. Performance wise it generally outperforms the i5 and it has Xbox One class graphics performance but that's kind of moot if your apps aren't available on it. Perhaps it will get support later this year as Adobe is porting their apps to ARM Mac but you shouldn't buy it based on that.

For me it does everything I need but you have to really know your use case before purchasing.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct, it probably wouldn't work for your use case. Performance wise it generally outperforms the i5 and it has Xbox One class graphics performance but that's kind of moot if your apps aren't available on it. Perhaps it will get support later this year as Adobe is porting their apps to ARM Mac but you shouldn't buy it based on that.

For me it does everything I need but you have to really know your use case before purchasing.

I'll be honest, the main use cases revolve around office 365 lol I have a powerful PC that can run PhotoShop too. What I do isn't as intense or anywhere near as frequent as a graphic designer or artist for example. Interesting that it generally outperforms the i5 too. Going to look into it some more, as the form factor looks amazing.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest, the main use cases revolve around office 365 lol I have a powerful PC that can run PhotoShop too. What I do isn't as intense or anywhere near as frequent as a graphic designer or artist for example. Interesting that it generally outperforms the i5 too. Going to look into it some more, as the form factor looks amazing.

That's actually pretty much what I use it for. I have a stacked Mac Mini and gaming PC for anything else that I need to do. My Surface Pro X is my writing/web machine. It can actually do all of my work if I want it to but I already have a nice set up with my Mac Mini for that. I considered selling my Mac Mini and just using the Pro X hooked up to my 4K monitor but in the end I didn't want to lose Mac OS as an option.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I would've bought this yesterday but being in IT I have 2 laptops, Surface Pro 4, and I just got a iPad Pro 12.9. So there's no reason to get it, but I still want it! LOL!

My Surface Pro 4 is still my favorite consummation product by far. I like it better then my iPad Pro and I thought for sure the iPad would take over my Surface Pro, but I just like the feel of the pro, can't explain it just fits me. I do adore my iPhone, that I use a ton.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I would've bought this yesterday but being in IT I have 2 laptops, Surface Pro 4, and I just got a iPad Pro 12.9. So there's no reason to get it, but I still want it! LOL!

My Surface Pro 4 is still my favorite consummation product by far. I like it better then my iPad Pro and I thought for sure the iPad would take over my Surface Pro, but I just like the feel of the pro, can't explain it just fits me. I do adore my iPhone, that I use a ton.

Haha my reason for getting a Pro X was borne out of similar circumstances. Between my wife and I we had two desktop PCs, two desktop Macs, two MacBooks and two iPads. I decided to consolidate by selling my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro in exchange for the Surface Pro X. There's some stuff I miss about the iPad but if I really need it I use my wife's. Overall I think the Surface Pro X is pretty much a perfect computer.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Haha my reason for getting a Pro X was borne out of similar circumstances. Between my wife and I we had two desktop PCs, two desktop Macs, two MacBooks and two iPads. I decided to consolidate by selling my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro in exchange for the Surface Pro X. There's some stuff I miss about the iPad but if I really need it I use my wife's. Overall I think the Surface Pro X is pretty much a perfect computer.

Jealous. I keep checking Ebay for a cheap buy or for my Surface Pro 4 to break. Is the Ipad 12.9 really uncomfortable to hold for you? I have the keyboard, but I prefer the kickstand on the Surface. iPad is just unwieldy for me.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Jealous. I keep checking Ebay for a cheap buy or for my Surface Pro 4 to break. Is the Ipad 12.9 really uncomfortable to hold for you? I have the keyboard, but I prefer the kickstand on the Surface. iPad is just unwieldy for me.

The good thing about the Pro X is that you can find them with big discounts almost new on eBay from people who don't know what ARM is and couldn't use it lol. I bought mine for a 30% discount just one month old on eBay.

I had the iPad Pro 2017 (touch ID) and my wife has the new look one. I don't find either to be unwieldy but both had good cases which made up for the lack of a kickstand. I have mixed feelings about the kickstand. In a bunch of cases it's better than an iPad with a case but other times it just doesn't work as well (like when on ones lap).

Overall I think I prefer the kickstand because I don't like cases on my devices and it allows me to not have one.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I like the Pro X format but so much software I rely on for work is a non-starter on Arm. The Pro X using a different keyboard to the Pro line is also obnoxious imo.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I like the Pro X format but so much software I rely on for work is a non-starter on Arm. The Pro X using a different keyboard to the Pro line is also obnoxious imo.

Absolutely, Microsoft really needs to get their act together. It's a great product for most people but most people also don't spend $1000+ on a laptop, they need to get app support for professionals.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Well R.I.P. my Wife's 2016 Surface Book.

I had noticed the screen started to become warped. Everything I looked at had like a curve to it. The sides of the panel were turning yellow. Come to find out, the battery is expanding and smashing the screen. It's now a ticking time bomb.

Sadly, MS support says they won't fix it even for a fee. Even shipping it is dangerous.

I went ahead and got my wife a new laptop. Asus.
Design nowhere near as nice. But for almost half the price the specs are good.

Anyhow, pretty sour about it.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I had noticed the screen started to become warped. Everything I looked at had like a curve to it. The sides of the panel were turning yellow. Come to find out, the battery is expanding and smashing the screen. It's now a ticking time bomb.

Sadly, MS support says they won't fix it even for a fee. Even shipping it is dangerous.

It's very curious how common this issue is with Surface devices. MS needs to be doing something very wrong.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

Apparently it's a pretty common issue, although I haven't experienced it with my Surface Book 2 (yet).

I do have the displeasure of being afflicted by another semi-common problem: Dead CPU fan. Happened not long after the warranty ended, too.

Frankly, I think Surface products (or at least the ones I've used) are junk... Surface Book in particular.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it's a pretty common issue, although I haven't experienced it with my Surface Book 2 (yet).

I do have the displeasure of being afflicted by another semi-common problem: Dead CPU fan. Happened not long after the warranty ended, too.

Frankly, I think Surface products (or at least the ones I've used) are junk... Surface Book in particular.
I really liked ours but man....INCREDIBLY disappointed.

My Cheapo Surface RT never had such issues.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
It's very curious how common this issue is with Surface devices. MS needs to be doing something very wrong.
The touchscreen started getting all screwy on mine, so I relegated it to a bedroom PC. I took alook at it closely the other day for the first time in a while, I've never seen anything like it, I can see circuitboard...

20200816_013020oejit.jpg

Considering how common this seems to be, MS have straight up released a dangerous product with these batteries. It's crazy that this isn't news.

showbry

Oct 27, 2017
The touchscreen started getting all screwy on mine, so I relegated it to a bedroom PC. I took alook at it closely the other day for the first time in a while, I've never seen anything like it, I can see circuitboard...
Considering how common this seems to be, MS have straight up released a dangerous product with these batteries. It's crazy that this isn't news.
This is the same issue that I had on my surface pro 4. Screen started having burn marks and then in the bottom left corner it started coming off. The only coverage I've seen of this is from this article. I contacted ms support and they told me I'd need to pay $600 for a refurbished pro 5 or I'd get a $200 credit toward a new surface, all because it was out of warranty. And on top of that they said it was still safe to use.

I ended up replacing the battery myself for about $40 which worked out ok, but it is an annoying repair. You have to remove the screen with a heat gun to melt the adhesive, and then remove the motherboard and components to replace the battery. I think this will be my last 2 in 1 laptop and probably my last surface device. I'd rather just buy a regular laptop where the battery isn't at risk of exploding lol.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same issue that I had on my surface pro 4. Screen started having burn marks and then in the bottom left corner it started coming off. The only coverage I've seen of this is from this article. I contacted ms support and they told me I'd need to pay $600 for a refurbished pro 5 or I'd get a $200 credit toward a new surface, all because it was out of warranty. And on top of that they said it was still safe to use.

I ended up replacing the battery myself for about $40 which worked out ok, but it is an annoying repair. You have to remove the screen with a heat gun to melt the adhesive, and then remove the motherboard and components to replace the battery. I think this will be my last 2 in 1 laptop and probably my last surface device. I'd rather just buy a regular laptop where the battery isn't at risk of exploding lol.
This is a Surface Pro 4 aswell, from what I've been reading, it's super common with this model.

Honestly I was just gonna bin it, do you have a link for the repair guide and replacement battery you used? Could end up saving me a lot of money.

I'd need to buy a heat gun, but compared to buying new...

Last edited:

showbry

Oct 27, 2017
This is a Surface Pro 4 aswell, from what I've been reading, it's super common with this model.

Honestly I was just gonna bin it, do you have a link for the repair guide and replacement battery you used? Could end up saving me a lot of money.

If you're gonna do the repair main thing I would do is backup everything on your hard drive just in case. I also used a blow dryer instead of a heat gun, but I did accidentally break the WiFi antenna underneath the adhesive that holds the screen, so a heat gun might be a good idea. I did manage to fix the WiFi with aluminum foil funny enough, which I guess is a common fix and also probably a good blog post to read before you take off the screen.

As far as the guides, I used several because there wasn't one that completely served my needs. There is a way to replace the battery without taking off the motherboard ,shown in this video. I chose to take off the motherboard completely because it was kind of tough to get the battery out if you don't, which is glued onto the chassis. This video is a good guide on how to do that. I would also recommend watching this video to see how everything comes apart, but I wouldn't follow it for the repair because it's not necessary to take everything off. The Ifixit guide is also good for reference but it's kind of confusing to follow and again they don't take off the motherboard. Oh and I also used the method in this video to take off the screen. Its unfortunate there isn't one definitive guide, but obviously the device wasn't intended to be repaired easily.

I bought my battery off ebay here, not sure if it's third party or genuine but it worked. You could also find it on amazon too but it was more expensive I believe. It definitely is annoying but not the worst repair. I really just hope the battery doesn't bulge again but I guess I'll find out in a year or two.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna do the repair main thing I would do is backup everything on your hard drive just in case. I also used a blow dryer instead of a heat gun, but I did accidentally break the WiFi antenna underneath the adhesive that holds the screen, so a heat gun might be a good idea. I did manage to fix the WiFi with aluminum foil funny enough, which I guess is a common fix and also probably a good blog post to read before you take off the screen.

As far as the guides, I used several because there wasn't one that completely served my needs. There is a way to replace the battery without taking off the motherboard ,shown in this video. I chose to take off the motherboard completely because it was kind of tough to get the battery out if you don't, which is glued onto the chassis. This video is a good guide on how to do that. I would also recommend watching this video to see how everything comes apart, but I wouldn't follow it for the repair because it's not necessary to take everything off. The Ifixit guide is also good for reference but it's kind of confusing to follow and again they don't take off the motherboard. Oh and I also used the method in this video to take off the screen. Its unfortunate there isn't one definitive guide, but obviously the device wasn't intended to be repaired easily.

I bought my battery off ebay here, not sure if it's third party or genuine but it worked. You could also find it on amazon too but it was more expensive I believe. It definitely is annoying but not the worst repair. I really just hope the battery doesn't bulge again but I guess I'll find out in a year or two.
Thanks for the detailed response. I think I'll actually do this, the Surface was so good until it became dangerous.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a Surface Go 2018 delivered. It's the 4GB/64GB version and it's got some small cracks on the screen. Got it for under a 200CAD on eBay. This is my 1st Surface device.

Is Edge the best browser for touch or is there any better ones?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a Surface Go 2018 delivered. It's the 4GB/64GB version and it's got some small cracks on the screen. Got it for under a 200CAD on eBay. This is my 1st Surface device.

I use Edge on my SP4 and haven't had any issues with touch. You for sure want to use Edge regardless based on your specs.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

Edge is the best touch browser, but only the old one. The new one lost mark up features

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

My first model surface pro still runs like a champ, but if I'm charging it and using it at the same time, it gets really hot near the charge port and a burn mark starts to appear on the lcd screen. Not cool. But the mark does go away when it cools down.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I realize we are like a month away from the next surface event I ended up caving on current hardware as we needed another smaller ultra portable for my kids school shit.

2a4e2210-8a1a-46c6-8e4jek.jpeg