• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
70-AE9-CC5-C3-D6-4584-A114-13-C55-C2-EF273.jpg

This is still my work setup! Been using it all year like this and I love it. I wonder how the Surface Pro X will be with external monitors etc.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
dock, that is a beautiful setup. great to hear your positive impressions. i am wondering if the reduced battery life is a real concern or not but the product seems like it doesn't have too many impressions

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
dock, that is a beautiful setup. great to hear your positive impressions. i am wondering if the reduced battery life is a real concern or not but the product seems like it doesn't have too many impressions
Thanks!! I love swapping between desktop and laptop and tablet form factors. I use my PC just like I use my Nintendo Switch!

I suspect the SP7 battery is about the same as SP6 in real world experience! We're a long way from the crappy battery on my Surface Pro 4.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Looks like the Pro X is getting slammed in reviews.

I wish MS would get their shit together when it comes to ARM. If you are going to go in on ARM and this is their second attempt, you can't come in half assed. Looks like that the case once again. Win32 runs like crap I guess and an iPad Pro still has better benchmarks.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Pro X is getting slammed in reviews.

I wish MS would get their shit together when it comes to ARM. If you are going to go in on ARM and this is their second attempt, you can't come in half assed. Looks like that the case once again. Win32 runs like crap I guess and an iPad Pro still has better benchmarks.
Yeah the good parts of reviews are basically "It's a really nice design." Everything else (app compatibility, battery life, speed, all relative to the $1,000 price tag) are fairly negative. I see no real reason someone would buy this over a SP7 or iPad Pro.

This excerpt from the Verge review seems completely unacceptable to me. And yes, MS is addressing it but the device is available to buy right now.

Heck, even Microsoft's own app storedoesn't properly filter out incompatible apps when you visit it from this computer. You can (and I did!) buy apps in the Microsoft Store and only find out after the fact that they're incompatible. Microsoft promises that it will fix this issue, but for now consumers are left to their own devices to figure it out.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently using Chrome massively affects the battery life. They really shouldn't have released this until they had the ARM64 version of Edge Cromium ready to go.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get some advice from dock owners? I have the first Surface Laptop and I'm very happy with it, but it only has one USB port. For most things, I can just use a cheap little Anker USB hub, but I tried recently to record video off a USB webcam and record audio from an audio interface (UMC404HD) and the video stuttered. It was fine when hooked up directly. I know I probably need a better hub, and so I'm interested in the dock. Does anyone have experience using it with such devices? Or should I just borrow my boyfriend's laptop when needed?

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
it feels essentially that Windows is fundamentally unsuited to tablet use.
Until MS decides to go all in on ARM, it will never happen.

so a major shift in cpu usage or Intel and AMD need to get off their ass and develop mobile chipsets again that can compete with ARM.

looks like Apple will probably have to show MS how it's done when they move OSX eventually to ARM. (iPad native apps will probably work out of the box)

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Can I get some advice from dock owners? I have the first Surface Laptop and I'm very happy with it, but it only has one USB port. For most things, I can just use a cheap little Anker USB hub, but I tried recently to record video off a USB webcam and record audio from an audio interface (UMC404HD) and the video stuttered. It was fine when hooked up directly. I know I probably need a better hub, and so I'm interested in the dock. Does anyone have experience using it with such devices? Or should I just borrow my boyfriend's laptop when needed?
MS made an official dock for the first and 2nd gen surface Pro's if that's what you are using.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
70-AE9-CC5-C3-D6-4584-A114-13-C55-C2-EF273.jpg

This is still my work setup! Been using it all year like this and I love it. I wonder how the Surface Pro X will be with external monitors, etc.

Just popping in here to say, 'oh hey, a Marina and the Diamonds fan!'.

It feels essentially that Windows is fundamentally unsuited to tablet use.

I got three different Surface devices over the years, and whilst they are/were worthwhile as a halfway laptop, especially my most recent Surface (Surface Pro in 2017), I wasn't happy with them as a tablet.

Got my first iPad earlier this year (iPad Pro 11") and it's the best tablet, ever.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
MS made an official dock for the first and 2nd gen surface Pro's if that's what you are using.
Right, I know about the official docks. Currently I'm using a cheap hub from Amazon. I'm wondering if the official docks would be able to manage video and audio devices over USB without stuttering. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
You're probably running into various issues with USB with both power and bandwidth! Is the dock powered and USB 3? Are your cables okay? I have the official dock but I don't know how much it helps, as my Surface chugs plenty when I throw lots at it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
it feels essentially that Windows is fundamentally unsuited to tablet use.
You're right, but there's much more to a Touchscreen than working as a tablet. The sole reason I use the surface is for pen support. I'm also fond of the way I can remove the keyboard when using it on a desktop.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, all three new computers MS released this year have been disappointing. The Surface Laptop 3 is a budget laptop at a premium price, the Surface Pro 7 is a dated looking spec refresh with lesser battery life, and the X is a toy that is relatively as capable as a $200 Chromebook.

Hoping the Neo and Duo are good next year.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
You're probably running into various issues with USB with both power and bandwidth! Is the dock powered and USB 3? Are your cables okay? I have the official dock but I don't know how much it helps, as my Surface chugs plenty when I throw lots at it.
That's what I expected. The hub I was using is not externally powered, though it is USB3. Cables all work when plugged directly into the laptop. It wasn't so much a processing issue on the laptop's end, at least not that I can tell, since the programs (OBS and Reaper) were running just fine; it really seemed like the hub just wasn't able to transmit the data from the two devices simultaneously. Just wanted to see if others had tested the dock in a similar use case before I drop $150 on it.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
That's what I expected. The hub I was using is not externally powered, though it is USB3. Cables all work when plugged directly into the laptop. It wasn't so much a processing issue on the laptop's end, at least not that I can tell, since the programs (OBS and Reaper) were running just fine; it really seemed like the hub just wasn't able to transmit the data from the two devices simultaneously. Just wanted to see if others had tested the dock in a similar use case before I drop $150 on it.

don't need to drop $150. Just find a cheaper powered usb 3 hub.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Man, all three new computers MS released this year have been disappointing. The Surface Laptop 3 is a budget laptop at a premium price, the Surface Pro 7 is a dated looking spec refresh with lesser battery life, and the X is a toy that is relatively as capable as a $200 Chromebook.

Hoping the Neo and Duo are good next year.
2019's Surfaces are a mix of dusty refreshes and awkward experimental hardware. the surface pro 7 looks like a solid update, but I worry about Microsoft losing interest in the x86 Surfaces.

The Neo and Duo will be the same technology as the X, so temper your expectations!

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
The Surface Pro X is only a joke because of the ARM processor combined with a lack of software support for ARM. The Duo is going to run Android which completely eliminates the issue and the Neo is using an Intel processor.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The Surface Pro X is only a joke because of the ARM processor combined with a lack of software support for ARM. The Duo is going to run Android which completely eliminates the issue and the Neo is using an Intel processor.
Oh! I had no idea that the Neo was Intel. Good to know.

As for Duo, that's true, I forgot it was Android.

Nov 8, 2017
My Pro 7 (i7 G7) performs quite nicely, although I've definitely noticed the so-so battery life. My biggest struggle was finding a type cover to match the black model, eventually I went with black too which looks OK.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Seeing some gaming footage of the Surface Pro 7 has me nicely jealous, but I don't plan to replace my SP6 for quite a while.
My Pro 7 (i7 G7) performs quite nicely, although I've definitely noticed the so-so battery life. My biggest struggle was finding a type cover to match the black model, eventually I went with black too which looks OK.
The i7 models are always battery hungry! Nice to have the power though. How is gaming on

The battery life on the Surface Pro 6 isn't anywhere close to the stats they claim. Apparently Microsoft changed their metric to be more realistic and include activity and wifi, rather than just playing a local video file.

Nov 8, 2017
Seeing some gaming footage of the Surface Pro 7 has me nicely jealous, but I don't plan to replace my SP6 for quite a while.

The i7 models are always battery hungry! Nice to have the power though. How is gaming on

I can get consistently above 60fps in Doom 2016 if I go to 1280x800 at like 60-70% res scale or something. I forget the exact specifics. It's a touch blurry, but less so than the Switch version in handheld, and at a consistent 60fps which is delicious and the low settings on PC are technically higher than what the Switch uses too. If you don't mind 30 you can make it look very crisp indeed.

If there is a Surface Pro 8 next year, that should be another boost in gaming performance, so definitely don't go 6->7. Intel's Tigerlake CPUs will clock higher ("10nm+") and have up to 96 EUs versus up to 64EUs on icelake. It may not be a truly massive boost like that would imply (like not actually a 50% perf uplift) but any improvement over the Pro 7 series is just gravy.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My Surface Pro 4 has died!! oh no!

The screen flicker of doom has started and there seems to be no fix. It works fine with an external monitor and everything else works fine. Microsoft want £550 to replace it, which isn't worth it. Frustrating.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
last week i ordered a surface laptop 3 cause they finally had the ADM with 32GB of ram available and listed on the site. Also they were, and still are running 300 bucks off surface products.

I love it. i love how light it is, the keyboard is good, typing with it now. Really happy with it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
last week i ordered a surface laptop 3 cause they finally had the ADM with 32GB of ram available and listed on the site. Also they were, and still are running 300 bucks off surface products.

I love it. i love how light it is, the keyboard is good, typing with it now. Really happy with it.
Wow, that's a lot of RAM! Which material/colour did you get? The Surface laptop 3 is really nice.

YaGaMi

Oct 29, 2017
Currently on SP4, thinking should I buy a Surface Book 2 or hold out for the Surface Book 3. What do you think guys?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Currently on SP4, thinking should I buy a Surface Book 2 or hold out for the Surface Book 3. What do you think guys?

Honestly I wanna upgrade to a 3 for the "ehehe new" factor whenever it's a thing but I'm... frustrated by how well my Book 2 15" is still chuggin along. I have basically no complaints, power-wise. Don't buy a Book 2, you'll be too happy with it.

YaGaMi

Oct 29, 2017
I thought we were getting a refresh at the end of 2019 but it didn't happen. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna hold out till the new design which should happen by the end of the year.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought we were getting a refresh at the end of 2019 but it didn't happen. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna hold out till the new design which should happen by the end of the year.

Heads up, just today this happened:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Micro...i7-1065G7-and-NVIDIA-Max-Q-GPUs.452475.0.html

Microsoft is making two new devices with a laptop CPU (Intel Core i7-1065G7) and a laptop GPU (GTX 1650 Max-Q and GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q). There is only one type of device Microsoft makes with specs like those: The Surface Book. So these two are probably the Surface Book 3 (a 13 inch with a 1650 Max-Q and a 15 inch with 1660Ti Max-Q).

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah SB3 rumors are hot right now. So I'd definitely wait as a new device has to be incoming ASAP.

YaGaMi

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the update. Normally they announce new devices towards the end of the year don't they?

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking about a surface laptop 3. I need a windows machine for work. It's kind of between the XPS 13 and laptop 3 but the laptop 3 is 300 bucks cheaper right now for the same specs. I also like the taller aspect ratio on the surface laptop 3. Any major issues or anything with this laptop before I pull the trigger.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So I'm thinking about a surface laptop 3. I need a windows machine for work. It's kind of between the XPS 13 and laptop 3 but the laptop 3 is 300 bucks cheaper right now for the same specs. I also like the taller aspect ratio on the surface laptop 3. Any major issues or anything with this laptop before I pull the trigger.
The XPS 13 now has a 16:10 screen I think. Also buy the machine where you can change the battery if you need to.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I picked up an iPad Pro 11" a couple of months ago. It's really interesting hopping between this and the Surface Pro 6, as they both have unique strengths and weaknesses.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As long as you don't get the Ryzen version, you are good with the Surface.