• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SurfaceFamily-3-1000x563.jpg

Products announced

Surface Pro X

SurfaceProX-92.gif

Surface-ProX-7-1000x563.jpg

Surface-ProX-5-1000x563.jpg

Surface Earbuds

SurfaceEarbuds-12.gif

SurfaceEarbuds-5-1000x750.jpg

Surface Pro 7

SurfacePro7-5-1000x563.jpg

Surface Laptop 3

SurfaceLaptop3-1-5d94b3cad9545.gif

SurfaceLaptop3-6-1000x563.jpg

SurfaceLaptop3-8-1000x563.jpg

Surface Neo

SurfaceNeo-2-1000x642.jpg

SurfaceNeo-6-1000x563.jpg

Surface Duo

SurfaceDuo-1-1000x563.jpg

SurfaceDuo-3-1000x563.jpg

SurfaceDuo-6-1000x563.jpg

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The AirPods looked weird to me too when they were announced. Now they are very common and not weird at all anymore.

Maybe the same will happen with these earbuds.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was a phenomenal conference that made Apple seem like a conservative and slow company. Actual innovation on display.

However, the products Microsoft are showing are unproven in the worst ways: the stuff they want to do is stuff they have tried before and failed miserably. Which means you got 2020 devices that could bomb out of the gate, and 2019 devices that are just spec bumps.

It all depends on Windows 10X.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The dual screen laptops look neat, though I don't think I'm looking to replace my iPad anytime soon.

The Surface Duo however... I actually want that as a new phone lol

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Everything looks expensive. Shit hopefully those earbuds are cheap, only way I'd purchase them lmao

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Panos Panay is like if Michael Scott and Tobey Flenderson had a baby.

RespectfulExaltedHydatidtapeworm-size_restricted.gif

"I love it. I love this TV Surface Neo."

I find them both oddly charming.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
15" laptop is too expensive for a ryzen based laptop. This is zen+, not zen 2.

With Alcantara gone, I might actually consider 13" one. It's looking pretty good.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
$250 is kind of expected. Hopefully one day it comes free with the purchase of a surface book or something
15" amd laptop sounds dope, but 13" will always be my sweetspot

I used to be a small laptop guy. But as I've gotten older, my eyes have deteriorated a bit and I've found I prefer the boost in power (typically). I'd buy a 17" Laptop 3 if it were on offer.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Pro X was gonna replace it, but since they revealed it was an even more premium version than even the Pro, I'm guessing it will not be on a yearly cycle, or it will simply be replaced by the Neo.

Yea I was thinking it would be replaced my the Neo. I'm not really interested in buying it (Surface Go) but I just thought it was a really cool device that needed more power/optimization when I played with it.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to why the X with only an ARM chip is more expensive than the Pro.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it I specifically wanted refreshes for the Surface Book and Studio. Damn it.

Oh well I'll get a Laptop 3 for my husband

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but i though the surface pro X would be the cheaper one. Really sucks it's so expensive....guess i will be looking at the surface pro 7 instead.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once again Microsoft blows it with the IO on the Surface Laptop. No Thunderbolt 3 port on a $1000+ laptop in 2019 is a dealbreaker.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded of the windows vista versions when I see the names of these new devices. Way too convoluted

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Once again Microsoft blows it with the IO on the Surface Laptop. No Thunderbolt 3 port on a $1000+ laptop in 2019 is a dealbreaker.

Was about to ask about this. Guess I am still out then.

Is Thunderbolt 3 really that expensive to implement? This should be standard by now.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I have a SP3 i5, and Ive been itching to upgrade tbh, my battery is pretty shot, etc, etc

Should I just try and grab an SP6 for cheap (er) ?

Also, until I saw the video of Panos handling the Duo and Neo I wasnt sure, but damn I want them lol

@ microsoft just cut the Duo in half and make me so happy

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really want that Duo... I want a split screen (2 separate screens) with hardware made by Microsoft with Google Play access.

Nov 8, 2017
What's the difference between Pro 7 and Pro X?

Pro X is running an ARM cpu. It is compatible with win32 programs but not 64 bit ones. UWP apps all run fine.

The upside is that it will have superior battery life, less weight, is thiner and has smaller bezels.

Surface Pro 7 is a spec refresh on last years Pro 6.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between Pro 7 and Pro X?
Pro 7 is actually more powerful, but X should have the better battery life and is able to be always connected through SIM. It's also thinner, lighter, and sleeker looking. We've yet to see its performance with emulated software, however, and so some things you may use on your x86 PC might not actually work or be less optimized for the ARM CPU. I'm no expert but pretty tech savvy and these are the things I'd be worried about with the X (which is why i thought it would be ther cheaper device). But I can't wait to see reviews on it.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Is Surface Studio dead?

Would be a shame. It seemed like the all-in-one that Apple would make if they still cared for it.

The first Surface Studio was released in 2016
The second gen Surface Studio was released in 2018

So if Microsoft is only planning on updating it every 2 years we might not get a new one until 2020.

I personally hope they consider releasing a Surface Studio monitor too in addition to the all-in-one model.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Was about to ask about this. Guess I am still out then.

Is Thunderbolt 3 really that expensive to implement? This should be standard by now.
Isn't it in the specifications for the next USB standard?
The Surface Duo seems to be neat. Everything else is too gimmicky for me.
Also, Apple really created one whole device category with their AirPods and we all laughed at these things and I still do tbh.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm hearing you can open the new models? Maybe worth grabbing a cheaper model and getting extra RAM/SSD storage yourself?

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Pro X is running an ARM cpu. It is compatible with win32 programs but not 64 bit ones. UWP apps all run fine.

The upside is that it will have superior battery life, less weight, is thiner and has smaller bezels.

Surface Pro 7 is a spec refresh on last years Pro 6.

The first Surface Studio was released in 2016
The second gen Surface Studio was released in 2018

So if Microsoft is only planning on updating it every 2 years we might not get a new one until 2020.

I personally hope they consider releasing a Surface Studio monitor too in addition to the all-in-one model.

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2017
The craziest shit from the announcement was that Surface Neo is not running Arm, but instead Intel Lakefield.

Heterogeneous design with one "big" core and 4 "little" ones. No x86 CPU has been like that before. 1x Core M3 Core and 4x Atom cores, basically. Should be really, really interesting to see the performance on it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I really have to say...I thought the first Surface design was inoffensive but incredibly bland. But with every iteration, Microsoft really refines its aesthetic and now...this is a very gorgeous family of devices. Sleek, modern, if I'm spending that kind of money I want my shit to look expensive.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The Surface laptop is the sleekest laptop I've ever seen. MS hardware is arguably the best in the business and that would have been a laughable statement 10 years ago.

Even the ear buds are growing on me the more I see of them.