• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just announced now by Matt Booty on Inside Xbox, to reflect their change to Xbox as a joined up platform on any device.

EAE1-AA0-E-81-DF-44-A8-9286-8-A71-DCCA2838.jpg

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Wire post
At Xbox, we believe when everyone plays, we all win. It's why we're passionate about building a portfolio of games for players across console, PC and mobile. As we've expanded our focus beyond the console, the Xbox brand has also evolved from its original roots. Today, Xbox is our gaming brand across all devices, no matter how or where you want to play, or who you want to play with.
In that spirit, I'm pleased to share that we are changing the name of our game development organization from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Game Studios.
Xbox Game Studios is made up of 13 distinct game development teams responsible for beloved franchises like Age of Empires, Forza, Gears of War, Halo and Minecraft. The teams at 343 Industries, The Coalition, Compulsion Games, The Initiative, inXile Entertainment, Minecraft, Ninja Theory, Obsidian Entertainment, Playground Games, Rare, Turn 10 Studios, Undead Labs and our Global Publishing group are working hard to deliver incredible exclusives, original IP and all-new chapters from your favorite franchises.
2019 is going to be a great year for Xbox gamers everywhere. Exclusive games including Crackdown 3, Gears 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be available to Xbox Game Pass members on the same day they launch worldwide. We're also working to deliver big content updates for games like Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and Minecraft that players are going to love.
We're also excited to see how the seven new game development studios we added to our team last year maximize their creative potential as part of Xbox Game Studios. As a gaming organization, we have never been in a better position to deliver a diverse line-up of exclusive games for Xbox fans now, and in the future.
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/02/05/introducing-xbox-game-studios/#06OlU3GLBCremRfq.99

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is a way to introduce PC and mobile players to the Xbox brand even more.

The Xbox brand will be a platform brand, more than a console brand. So this is taking that name and putting it in more places.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty needed for the mobile and PC push they are doing soon! The name Xbox Game Studios would have more meaning to a mobile player than Microsoft studios

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank fuck, always hate how people would abbreviate them as "MGS" when that should be reserved for Metal Gear alone.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Studios I feel is the better name, also it was just the one I remember from older PC games like Rise Of Nations which I loved. But hey, change isn't all bad.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Make sense. As gaming become more mainstream and universal, being locked to one console will be obsolete at some point in the near future. I would wager the pendulum will swing that way in 10 years. I truly believed next gen will be the last of it's era

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Also:

Xbox Live
Xbox Live Gold
Xbox Game Pass
Xbox Game Studios

Makes sense

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Can somebody explain to me why Microsoft would rename their game development teams to Xbox Game Studios when people on this very forum assured us that the Xbox One X would be Microsoft's last console?

/S

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Can somebody explain to me why Microsoft would rename their game development teams to Xbox Game Studios when people on this very forum assured us that the Xbox One X would be Microsoft's last console?

/S

Easy; they are separating an established brand away from a static device. Once the XBOX console is long and gone the brand will continue in other mediums and platforms

This is an example of "being ahead of the times"

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Are we certain MS will acquire more studios this year?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that the name of the platform will be the name of the publisher but in the end, wouldn't people still call them Microsoft like always?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft doubling down on the Xbox brand :)
Remember the beginning of this gen? Quite a turn around from "those" rumours :)

XGS - I like it!

Are we certain MS will acquire more studios this year?

Highly likely, we've had reputable sources saying to expect it. Also Phil has said they're going to continue to purchase more studios, they'll need it if they're going to be able to support regular release cycle of quality games for Gamepass. They cant keep paying 3rd parties to launch thier content on the service to circumvent a lack of their own.

Last edited:

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Just in time for Xbox game pass to be officially supported on PC and hopefully MCC being released on PC alongside it! PLEASE MICROSOFT I NEED THIS.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft Studios I feel is the better name

Microsoft is far more than just games to justify calling it Microsoft Studios
If its a gaming industry initiative, might as well keep it clearly definied as part of the gaming branch

It's not like Xbox makes non-games.

They actually do and intend to do even more in services for the future. Also possibility of more hardware for the future like mixed reality sets

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So, will the Showtime Halo series and the new Minecraft movie have 'Xbox Game Studios' as a splash screen then? Haha.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria