• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Only Microsoft can make a preview of a game on a PC not capable to reach the highest (or at least one with shadows) graphic mode <3

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Excited to finally play crackdown again. One place though it seams to fall short of the original is the lack of crowds and life to the city. I liked how in the first while going crazy killings the bars you had to avoid casualties.
That being said I still can't wait to play the campaign. Will try to go for 1000gs. Multiplayer though I'm still not entirely sold on. Will of course give it a go though.

Off topic but anyone else see that there's a titanfall Battle Royale spin-off supposedly dropping Monday. If it's made by respawn I can't wait.

They are an extremely good developer. Extremely efficient. 2 AAA teams and this spinoff. People shouldn't ask for Microsoft to go drop 50 billion on EA but I'd be totally down for them giving 500-750 million for Respawn. They are that good.
Randomly dropping the game out without any fanfare, or hell official announcement beforehand. Doesn't inspire much confidence, even for a f2p.

That said if it's more like the first Titanfall when it comes to balance and Burn cards, I'll be excited... Oh wait, it's a BR game. Nevermind, no excitement.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Am I the only one that doesn't care about how well reviewed a game is? I mean it's always nice to see a game you love getting justice through reviews and scores but that's it. The only way a review ever helped me was pulling the trigger with games I wasn't sure to buy.

Back to Crackdown, you can't say it doesn't feel a bit outdated in its presentation. The city feels lifeless, and compared to other modern open world game there's definitly something off. That said, 15th can't come soon enough, I keep my expectations low but I sense I will have a great time with that game.

Thanks to Game Pass, it could find its community whatever reviews will say. The best thing with that service is probably that games have much chances to succeed than only sales, I guess.

Apr 6, 2018
Am I the only one that doesn't care about how well reviewed a game is? I mean it's always nice to see a game you love getting justice through reviews and scores but that's it. The only way a review ever helped me was pulling the trigger with games I wasn't sure to buy.

Back to Crackdown, you can't say it doesn't feel a bit outdated in its presentation. The city feels lifeless, and compared to other modern open world game there's definitly something off. That said, 15th can't come soon enough, I keep my expectations low but I sense I will have a great time with that game.

Thanks to Game Pass, it could find its community whatever reviews will say. The best thing with that service is probably that games have much chances to succeed than only sales, I guess.
I agree with you, my fav game from 2018 was darksiders 3, if it was for reviews I wouldn't have played it almost at release(extremely good word of mouth by friends).
Plus the system is outdated due to the gaas thing

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Only Microsoft can make a preview of a game on a PC not capable to reach the highest (or at least one with shadows) graphic mode <3
Well, I heard games play best on Xbox One X.

I have to say, for as skeptical as I've been about Crackdown, I think I'll enjoy the campaign. The variety in the crime bosses and mission design should do enough to keep that loop fresh. The video of the quarry fight shows some variety that the first game lacked: you have to blow up the mining equipment before the boss reveals himself and then the fight with Khan has more to it than just blowing up his mech.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I agree with you, my fav game from 2018 was darksiders 3, if it was for reviews I wouldn't have played it almost at release(extremely good word of mouth by friends).
Plus the system is outdated due to the gaas thing

My game of the gen is still Sunset Overdrive, because of how much I surpringly enjoyed it. I loved all the marketing prelaunch and mucadada's post on gaf, but that game seemed not for me. I ended up buying it after an Xbox pal (I made thanks to an Xbox website) couldn't stop praising it each time we played together.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
My game of the gen is still Sunset Overdrive, because of how much I surpringly enjoyed it. I loved all the marketing prelaunch and mucadada's post on gaf, but that game seemed not for me. I ended up buying it after an Xbox pal (I made thanks to an Xbox website) couldn't stop praising it each time we played together.
SO deserved a way better metascore that it had and that's a mistake press will never be able to repair. Shame!

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
then they Should canceled both....

it's really not Good starting the last year of the Gen with this Geme....

let's hope Ori and Gears 5 to end the Gen with them
Why SHOULD they have canceled it? People seem pretty jazzed for it and fun will be had. Why would you prefer nothing instead of something some people will enjoy?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Dear lord, I just realized, we'll have another 12 days of this.
There will be Metacritic day when there will be major shock and concern when CD3 gets a shit score.

Then there will be the PAL charts thread when there will be further shock and concern when it barely edges in to the top 40. And discussions will vary between the game simply being a bit shit, Xbox being doomed, and Game Pass hurting game sales.

During all this you might think that CD3 was one of the most hyped games of all time with high expectations and Xbox's last saviour. And you might also forget that the real actual disappointment in February will be Anthem.

Apr 6, 2018
I also enjoyed SSOD, espacially the dark and nerdish humor behind it. Gameplay took several hours to show it's full potential but when it reach that point is a blast.
Why SHOULD they have canceled it? People seem pretty jazzed for it and fun will be had. Why would you prefer nothing instead of something some people will enjoy?
People basically doesn't understand that they hadn't to be interested in each game of the lineup of a single publisher. This is why variety matters.
A 12 years before CD4
There will be Metacritic day when there will be major shock and concern when CD3 gets a shit score.

Then there will be the PAL charts thread when there will be further shock and concern when it barely edges in to the top 40. And discussions will vary between the game simply being a bit shit, Xbox being doomed, and Game Pass hurting game sales.

During all this you might think that CD3 was one of the most hyped games of all time with high expectations and Xbox's last saviour. And you might also forget that the real actual disappointment in February will be Anthem.
You miss the shock and concern for the taste of the average xbox player when msft will unveil that several mlns played it.

Please I'm concerned for anthem, don't do this to me.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Don't forget the trials of GP!!! Don't forget the free trials!!!!

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

Gonna be either Anthem or Division 2. Or both, possibly neither.

That's a good point as no matter how good or bad it'll be received, people will be too busy getting in on a good ol' fashioned EA thrashing the next week.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
If you think about it, Crackdown 3 is the last game from the Don Mattrick era.

New Xbox Era on ResetEra starting this year.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If you think about it, Crackdown 3 is the last game from the Don Mattrick era.

New Xbox Era on ResetEra starting this year.

That's true, although Crackdown 3 is the main new title releasing during the first half of the year from MS 1P. Rest of the new games are in H2 or beyond.

I am excluding things like re-releases/ports and ID@Xbox titles as well as expansions when I say the above.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Will we ever see Microsoft win GOTY at TGAs? Ever since the days of the Spike VGAs, Microsoft is one of the only major publishers, as well as the only console manufacturer to not win GOTY.

This disappoints me greatly as many games they have made are more than deserving from Halo 3 to Gears of War to the Forza Horizon Games.

With the new acquisitions as well as expansions to existing teams, as well as new studios and existing stepping up their game (look at what 343 and Coalition are doing), will Microsoft finally win the coveted award.

I really do hope so.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

No, I'm with you. Many of my favorite games have scores in the 60s and 70s. Many of my most frustrating have in the 90s.

Apr 6, 2018
Gonna be either Anthem or Division 2. Or both, possibly neither.

That's a good point as no matter how good or bad it'll be received, people will be too busy getting in on a good ol' fashioned EA thrashing the next week.
The division 2 is a March game, and no one is overhyping it due to a subtle marketing and basically being a bigger/better more of the same.
Will we ever see Microsoft win GOTY at TGAs? Ever since the days of the Spike VGAs, Microsoft is one of the only major publishers, as well as the only console manufacturer to not win GOTY.

This disappoints me greatly as many games they have made are more than deserving from Halo 3 to Gears of War to the Forza Horizon Games.

With the new acquisitions as well as expansions to existing teams, as well as new studios and existing stepping up their game (look at what 343 and Coalition are doing), will Microsoft finally win the coveted award.

I really do hope so.
Simply Xbox does not do the genres that are critical darlings. Gears 5 may be, but as a radical gears purist I don't see it as a good thing because I convinced that will undermines the formula to create an underwhelming game with an excellent shooting system just for chasing trends. Watch 2018 goty nominees, all third person, action games with open world and lite rpgs mechanics (except for monster hunter), the only exception was Celeste.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Simply Xbox does not do the genres that are critical darlings. Gears 5 may be, but as a radical gears purist I don't see it as a good thing because I convinced that will undermines the formula to create an underwhelming game with an excellent shooting system just for chasing trends. Watch 2018 goty nominees, all third person, action games with open world and lite rpgs mechanics (except for monster hunter), the only exception was Celeste.[/QUOTE]

That's very true, and there is no need to bastardize a working formula to aim for gold. Obsidian and Ninja Theory have been known to make those sorts of games and Playground is doing one too, so we'll have to see how those play out.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
That's true, although Crackdown 3 is the main new title releasing during the first half of the year from MS 1P. Rest of the new games are in H2 or beyond.

I am excluding things like re-releases/ports and ID@Xbox titles as well as expansions when I say the above.
I figured Ori would be out sooner than later, so it's interesting that it's second half of the year. I'm guessing it's out late summer then to give Gears the big holiday release spot in September/October.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

I really do hope so.
I personally don't care much for the show (feels rushed, unfocused, and overall lame. Plus I can't stand Kingsley), but it would be nice for Microsoft to have a bigger presence. A celebration of the best games of the year, and one of the biggest publisher is oddly absent. Always felt strange, same with Ubisoft.

Oh well, most of the winners and nominees are games I don't care about anyway, so the show isn't really for me.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Im mistaken or this discussion started with the anticipated damage control for some people that can't accept bad previews?
I think if users don't want discussions like this here they should avoid exactly the kind of post you did a few pages ago.
It's kinda odd to post a whole conspiracy theory while downplaying other plataforms exclusives and some pages after complain that will be another 12 days of "this".

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Im mistaken or this discussion started with the anticipated damage control for some people that can't accept bad previews?
I think if users don't want discussions like this here they should avoid exactly the kind of post you did a few pages ago.
It's kinda odd to post a whole conspiracy theory while downplaying other plataforms exclusives and some pages after complain that will be another 12 days of "this".
Can we please not do this here? Isnt there another thread where you can go and be hyper-negative with your concerns? Seriously tho!

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 being the only MS first party title for H1 of 2019 isn't too surprising because none of their other confirmed 2019 have confirmed dates.

We were speculating about pre-E3 release dates for Ori 2 and Battletoads, but this isn't too surprising.

I think Crackdown 3 will be the last of the "old Microsoft." I don't expect a Crackdown 4, but that's okay. I'm confident MS will make up for it and more with other titles.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 being the only MS first party title for H1 of 2019 isn't too surprising because none of their other confirmed 2019 have confirmed dates.

We were speculating about pre-E3 release dates for Ori 2 and Battletoads, but this isn't too surprising.

I think Crackdown 3 will be the last of the "old Microsoft." I don't expect a Crackdown 4, but that's okay. I'm confident MS will make up for it and more with other titles.
I hope the series at least gets a spiritual successor at some point, wholly in house this time. There is a lot they can do with the franchise, I understand why Phil said he wanted this to be a pillar franchise.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Even thinking back on the development history of CD, it's a very interesting take.
I want to see the influence of Joseph Staten in SP. I'm really curious about the story.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
If Crackdown isn't at least a 9.5 that would be an instant L for MS

35s7cv.jpg

Do I even have to type the "CAPTION" for this ?!

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the series at least gets a spiritual successor at some point, wholly in house this time. There is a lot they can do with the franchise, I understand why Phil said he wanted this to be a pillar franchise.

I think they're better off just leaving well alone.

Phil hoped Crackdown could become a pillar franchise, but I think that ship sailed a while back.

I don't think MS should prioritise producing a bunch of cinematic, narrative driven games (though they use some of those), but they should invest in adventure games, platformers, puzzle games, hack 'n slash, survival horrors and a whole bunch more. They do that with this renewed focus on quality and polish, and they'll be more than okay.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'll drop this here. A report from an institutional investor that held a meeting with MS last year.

Microsoft views the Xbox Game Pass, which now includes new first-party titles, as a compelling value to consumers at $9.99 per month. Xbox Game Pass can also help to drive monetization for smaller third-party titles that would otherwise garner little attention relative to their much larger peers. The inclusion of Microsoft's new games in the service has resulted in a lift to the overall retail sales of those titles as a key point of friction to gameplay has been removed. With that said, it doesn't expect to see new AAAs from the third-party publishers included in the service any time soon. Instead, it expects multiple subscription services to emerge over the next several years, although individual publishers may not have enough breadth to provide a compelling product to consumers.

In Microsoft's experience, subscription services generally boost gameplay time, engagement, and monetization. Within Xbox Game Pass, it is seeing core gamers who want to consume more content that they otherwise couldn't afford, as well as casual gamers who prefer not to pay $60 upfront for a given title. Overall, it has seen a boost to net dollars in its video game ecosystem, with more games translating to more hours of gameplay. It intends to bring the subscription service to PCs at some point.

Microsoft is working on a game streaming service that will deliver console-quality experiences on mobile. According to the company, there are two billion gamers worldwide. It believes that a streaming solution needs three components to be successful: good content, a strong community, and a robust cloud offering. It has termed these items as "the three Cs." It envisions a scenario where it can eventually deliver games to consumers who don't own a console, and believes that cloud gaming is closer to being a reality than it has in the past. A successful streaming provider needs a regional footprint with scale to drive efficiencies for the provider and the consumer.

Microsoft believes that its new studios will help it to achieve a primary goal, the delivery of one AAA game per quarter in order to drive Xbox Game Pass. With that said, it does not want to rush its new studios into delivering games before they are fully baked, and believes that any acquisition takes time to get its legs. Its ideal acquisition targets have proven content and strong development teams.

Microsoft acknowledged that it is developing a new console, but timing is uncertain.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
We've been talking about Crackdown for days, I hardly started anything.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
"Microsoft believes that its five new studios will help it to achieve a primary goal, the delivery of one AAA game per quarter in order to drive Xbox Game Pass. With that said, it does not want to rush its new studios into delivering games before they are fully baked, and believes that any acquisition takes time to get its legs. Its ideal acquisition targets have proven content and strong development teams. "

I like the idea that they wont restrict their AAA exclusive release dates to "holiday" from what i'm understanding.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
"Microsoft believes that its five new studios will help it to achieve a primary goal, the delivery of one AAA game per quarter in order to drive Xbox Game Pass. With that said, it does not want to rush its new studios into delivering games before they are fully baked, and believes that any acquisition takes time to get its legs. Its ideal acquisition targets have proven content and strong development teams. "

I like the idea that they wont restrict their AAA exclusive release dates to "holiday" from what i'm understanding.

Yeah it needs to get to a state like netflix. Just release quality stuff any time in the year.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft believes that its new studios will help it to achieve a primary goal, the delivery of one AAA game per quarter in order to drive Xbox Game Pass. With that said, it does not want to rush its new studios into delivering games before they are fully baked, and believes that any acquisition takes time to get its legs. Its ideal acquisition targets have proven content and strong development teams.

1 AAA per quarter

433.gif

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Can we please get the snap functionality back on the Scarlett? It was one of the best ideas to come out of this gen.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'd probably pick Dragon's Dogma as my number two, but the problems with that game were outside of the combat. A game is more than the sum of its parts after all. And I'd agree the melee combat in HZD is weak, but I'm pretty sure that is mostly intentional and by design (you are fighting machines after all lol). The games combat primarily focuses on ranged and strategic weapons, munitions, traps and explosives, the melee is just back up for smaller machines and humans, or to be used as a tertiary side move.
Dragon's Dogma offers the user many more options, and every weapon class and skill is viable. Open world games don't even approach the player expression offered by Dragon's Dogma. That's why it's the best.
Gotta love the people driving by to wag their finger at the community here.

Every fanbase on Era has similar reactions to negativity towards games they're looking forward to. Check the Days Gone threads if you don't believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.