• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
How would 20x the map size even work for Gears 5? Did they take ever Gears 4 level, combine them and then just multiply the size?

I mean I'm down for it since it has the Skiff to ride around in but its strange because Gears has always used the mission structure in its campaign like Halo did where the chapters/levels were their own thing and not interconnected

Still my most hyped game for 2019 along with Fire Emblem and Ori

Aug 26, 2018
Yeah, though I'd probably drop Xbox One X and let the cheap streaming box handle the entry level

The 1X is more than competent for the next 5 years, its a 4K 30/ 1080p 60 machine and will be amazing for its price point even in 3-4 years considering the adoption of 4K TVs is now mainstream in many markets and Steam's most popular Graphics cards are the GTX1060.

Xbox One S : 149$ (By Fall 2020)
xCloud : 199$

Xbox One X : 299/349$ ( By Fall 2020) (6TF, 1080 60fps or 4K 30fps console)
Xbox Lockhart : 399$ ( 8-9TF, Custom Navi, Zen 2 CPUs, RTX, Blu-Ray, 12GB RAM, 500 GB SSD) ( 4k 30FPS or 1440p 60FPS) ( PS5 Competitor)
Xbox Anaconda : 499$/599$ ( 11-12TF, Custom Navi, Zen 2 CPUs, RTX, Blu-Ray, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) ( 4k 60FPS or 4K 30FPS)

Aug 26, 2018
How would 20x the map size even work for Gears 5? Did they take ever Gears 4 level, combine them and then just multiply the size?

I mean I'm down for it since it has the Skiff to ride around in but its strange because Gears has always used the mission structure in its campaign like Halo did where the chapters/levels were their own thing and not interconnected

Still my most hyped game for 2019 along with Fire Emblem and Ori

Same with Halo but given the Spartan abilities, going big/open worldish will work better here. Gears 5, will be interesting to see.

Do you guys think they will hit 4K 60fps on 1X and 1080p 60fps on 1S considering Rod already said they were targeting this?

https://wccftech.com/gears-of-war-5-4k60fps-xbox-one-x/

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Phil last spoke about their PC Plans in XO18 and we have heard nada since then.
well yeah, there hasn't been a Windows Feature Update since October. Question is if anything is coming in the April Update or we'll have to wait till the Fall Update. If anything major is coming for April, Inside Xbox in February would be a good time to announce it.

Yoday

Apr 8, 2018
That was my thinking too, hence I wanted Lockhart to the PS5 Competitor and Xbox One X to sit at 299$.

Xbox One X : 299/349$ ( By Fall 2020) (6TF, 1080 60fps or 4K 30fps console)
Xbox Lockhart : 399$ ( 8-9TF, Custom Navi, Zen 2 CPUs, RTX, Blu-Ray, 12GB RAM, 500 GB SSD) ( 4k 30FPS or 1440p 60FPS) ( PS5 Competitor)
Xbox Anaconda : 499$/599$ ( 11-12TF, Custom Navi, Zen 2 CPUs, RTX, Blu-Ray, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) ( 4k 60FPS or 4K 30FPS)
The One X can't really fill a next gen spot. It will be a great console to bridge the gap and maintain great looking cross gen games, but the CPU was always going to keep it from being compatible with true next gen games. Also, there's no real point in offering a 1440p console along side a 4K console. People either have 1080p TVs or 4K TVs. Targeting something in the middle doesn't make a lot of sense. On top of that, you're not going to double the resolution with a 30% GPU increase.

If they have two different consoles targeting two types of users then it's going to be 1080p and 4K. The 1080p console will only need to be roughly 25% of the GPU power of the 4K console. If Anaconda is around 12TF, then expect lockheart to be 3-4TF in order to offer the same visuals at 1080p rather than 4K. Lockheart will also likely have a slightly underclocked CPU and less RAM/bandwidth. This will in turn allow it to have far less cooling and a weaker power supply.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yeah, though I'd probably drop Xbox One X and let the cheap streaming box handle the entry level
Cheap streaming box is definitely the most interesting move, but I wonder if they won't wait to stagger the release of that until they've proven themselves to the hardcore first. I don't think Xbox will want to promote 3 tiers of their hardware, including at least one with a completely different CPU architecture. That would not be fun for devs to support, and it would immediately make Xbox a less attractive platform to target (especially if like Xbox One, games have to work on all SKUs). I mean, I think they'll keep supporting and manufacturing the console for a little bit, but I don't think they'll actually market or position it that way.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Last year I made this post that outlined Microsoft's overall strategy for Xbox in 2018 - https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...nd-future-landscape.1061/page-57#post-3483655

What was notable last year is that I said Microsoft would make an announcement the following week about its digital game services. The announcement was for first party games coming to Game Pass on day one.

2019 will very much be a continuation of what we saw last year from Microsoft.

In terms of software, Microsoft's strategy for this year is to release the titles that have already been announced and issue updates / expansions for titles that are already on the market. Further expanding the company's GaaS strategy for first party titles. As I mentioned last year, a lot of the projects that Microsoft are working on are for 'next gen' so don't expect tons of new first party games be announced and released this year. The same goes for the studios that Microsoft acquired as a lot of them already have known games in development or are working on something for next gen. Although, I do know of one first party studio that will announce their new project this year.

I don't need to say much about hardware because Microsoft's plans for a discless Xbox One S have already leaked. We'll hear more about that before E3. Of course this move really backs up Microsoft's digital push and cloud gaming push that we have seen in the past and will continue to see moving forward. Investment in services is a key priority for Microsoft at the moment.

In terms of digital services, Microsoft will continue improving Xbox Game Pass this year. The types of content coming to the service will get better through Microsoft continuing to leverage its library (there are still big 1P games not on Game Pass) + through a new program introduced later this year. Game Pass will also receive new service offerings that give the consumer more choice. PC gaming will also be a focus this year with more options for PC gamers in terms of purchasing games and playing games. Not to mention new gaming features for Windows 10.

Cloud gaming is the big thing everyone is talking about. Certainly some interesting things happening there and with other related services. We'll hear more about it this year but as far as I'm aware the full commercial launch is still a bit far out. The ultimate goal here is for the Xbox ecosystem to be accessible on any platform with full integration and interoperability.

Lots of interesting things in the work for sure. E3 should be interesting in terms of software and services announcements. MS is still looking at other studio acquisitions too.

Oct 26, 2017
The person said the campaign is gonna be 2x the size of the last and and varied environmentals!!?

The trailer looked really good and we could see the glimpses of all of these ideas. I'm skyped it's an awesome way to end the generation.

More like the maps itself in the campaign will be 20x of what it previously was. If I understood that right. And yes, a much longer campaign. Which is great! :)

Why would you doubt that Anaconda will have more power than PS5? This is more or less obvious.

Because I can't imagine Sony being incredibly happy with the power advantage X has over Pro and that has me doubting they are gonna "let" MS have that advantage again. On the other hand Sony isn't worried about how good their stuff will sell, so it's probably not that important for them. I guess I just automatically assumed both companies would bring systems that are nearly identical.

Why is it obvious though? So far we haven't really had anything truly concrete yet, have we?

Aug 26, 2018
Last year I made this post that outlined Microsoft's overall strategy for Xbox in 2018 - https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...nd-future-landscape.1061/page-57#post-3483655

What was notable last year is that I said Microsoft would make an announcement the following week about its digital game services. The announcement was for first party games coming to Game Pass on day one.

In terms of software, Microsoft's strategy for this year is to release the titles that have already been announced and issue updates / expansions for titles that are already on the market. Further expanding the company's GaaS strategy for first party titles. As I mentioned last year, a lot of the projects that Microsoft are working on are for 'next gen' so don't expect tons of new first party games be announced and released this year. The same goes for the studios that Microsoft acquired as a lot of them already have known games in development or are working on something for next gen. Although, I do know of one first party studio that will announce their new project this year.

I don't need to say much about hardware because Microsoft's plans for a discless Xbox One S have already leaked. We'll hear more about that before E3. Of course this move really backs up Microsoft's digital push and cloud gaming push that we have seen in the past and will continue to see moving forward. Investment in services is a key priority for Microsoft at the moment.

In terms of digital services, Microsoft will continue improving Xbox Game Pass this year. The types of content coming to the service will get better through Microsoft continuing to leverage its library (there are still big 1P games not on Game Pass) + through a new program introduced later this year. Game Pass will also receive new service offerings that give the consumer more choice. PC gaming will also be a focus this year with more options for PC gamers in terms of purchasing games and playing games. Not to mention new gaming features for Windows 10.

Cloud gaming is the big thing everyone is talking about. Certainly some interesting things happening there and with other related services. We'll hear more about it this year but as far as I'm aware the full commercial launch is still a bit far out. The ultimate goal here is for the Xbox ecosystem to be accessible on any platform with full integration and interoperability.

Lots of interesting things in the work for sure. E3 should be interesting in terms of software and services announcements. MS is still looking at other studio acquisitions too.

Wow, great Tidbits.

Hope its Fable from Playground.

Aug 26, 2018
More like the maps itself in the campaign will be 20x of what it previously was. If I understood that right. And yes, a much longer campaign. Which is great! :)

Because I can't imagine Sony being incredibly happy with the power advantage X has over Pro and that has me doubting they are gonna "let" MS have that advantage again. On the other hand Sony isn't worried about how good their stuff will sell, so it's probably not that important for them. I guess I just automatically assumed both companies would bring systems that are nearly identical.

Why is it obvious though? So far we haven't really had anything truly concrete yet, have we?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has a 399$ base PS5 and a 599$ PS5 Pro to take on Anaconda.

399$ is Sony's sweetspot that won them this Gen. I don't think they will move on this.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Interesting. Maybe we shouldn't expect too much about Scarlett for E3. MS might want to close out the gen, focusing on this gen. I would have thought they'd want to beat Sony to the punch and do a semi-reveal/tease at E3 2019, but I can understand wanting to wait until Xbox One's 1st Party output is complete.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think MS announce a few next gen games at E3 via a teaser for thier hardware.

Like they will tease Anaconda and then a reel will show snippets of projects to come

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

446 words and the only ones that matter are the last 9, tell me more Mr Ex :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

This is very interesting. Thread worthy IMO.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS will tease their next gen hardware at E3 as they did at E3 and X18 last year. I expect the bigger info at the end of the year, maybe during X19.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I strongly believe its Fable, NT's new project is big but not as big as Fable. There is no other game they can show to end E3, they could show Cyberpunk Gameplay but it won't have the Wow factor that Fable would. Gears 5 will start E3 I think which is why it has to be Fable to end E3.
Splinter Cell could fit the role Cyberpunk did with a teaser, with more information at Ubisoft's conference. I don't remember the last E3 conference that ended with an exclusive game reveal.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I strongly believe its Fable, NT's new project is big but not as big as Fable. There is no other game they can show to end E3, they could show Cyberpunk Gameplay but it won't have the Wow factor that Fable would. Gears 5 will start E3 I think which is why it has to be Fable to end E3.
It's almost certainly Ninja Theory's new game. It's still too early for Fable.

Aug 26, 2018
It's likely either Ninja Theory, inXile or Obsidian in the AA-range. If it's one of the later two it'd probably be another isometric project. Unless he includes MSGP as first-party in the same way Phil Spencer does.
Splinter Cell could fit the role Cyberpunk did with a teaser, with more information at Ubisoft's conference. I don't remember the last E3 conference that ended with an exclusive game reveal.

Not to go into E3 discussions too deeply, I don"t think(with all due respect) to the other games that they are good enough to end MS's E3 2019 conference. PG has already established a new team, new studio in Q2 2018, they would have had 1 year by E3 2019 to show something more than a name/logo and I don't see a bigger Exclusive, that has been long anticipated to return to end the show.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Not to go into E3 discussions too deeply, I don"t think(with all due respect) to the other games that they are good enough to end MS's E3 2019 conference. PG has already established a new team, new studio in Q2 2018, they would have had 1 year by E3 2019 to show something more than a name/logo and I don't see a bigger Exclusive, that has been long anticipated to return to end the show.
He never said anything about it ending the conference only that a new game will be announced from the new studios.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
It's likely either Ninja Theory, inXile or Obsidian in the AA-range. If it's one of the later two it'd probably be another isometric project. Unless he includes MSGP as first-party in the same way Phil Spencer does.
Obsidian is about to release a game this year and released one last year, I don't think they have anything ready to show, same with inXile. Spencer hinted that Ninja Theory would something to show soon at X0 so if I were to bet I would say it was Ninja Theory. As for who will announce a game in 2020 my bet is PG's Fable. Rest of the studios will announce after 2020.

Thanks Zhuge on qinfo dump. As for the 1P title still not in Game Pass I think it is Minecraft as the other titles I can only think of is Forza and just my luck as I just decided to pick it up. For the new tier for gamepass my best guess would be gold + gamepass, family Gamepass, or Gamepass Ultimate which would be like origin premium where you get the ultimate edition of MS first party games. PC improvements are great to hear especially since some of my friends main PC. As for the last thing, I think most in this figured this but still nice to get more confirmation.

Aug 26, 2018
He never said anything about it ending the conference only that a new game will be announced from the new studios.

Of course, I didn't mean he said it, it was my deduction. NT will most certainly announce their game this year along with Obsidian, InExile but I am wondering if these are the games that would end an E3 conference which is where my Fable theory comes into question.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Then end it with a 3rd party game like almost every year, or save Gears 5's information for last.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

im hyped for this year and beyond!

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

Fable is barely off the ground, they're still building the studio, going to be a while on that one

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Obsidian is about to release a game this year and released one last year, I don't think they have anything ready to show, same with inXile. Spencer hinted that Ninja Theory would something to show soon at X0 so if I were to bet I would say it was Ninja Theory. As for who will announce a game in 2020 my bet is PG's Fable. Rest of the studios will announce after 2020.

most likely.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

Thanks Zhuge on qinfo dump. As for the 1P title still not in Game Pass I think it is Minecraft as the other titles I can only think of is Forza and just my luck as I just decided to pick it up. For the new tier for gamepass my best guess would be gold + gamepass, family Gamepass, or Gamepass Ultimate which would be like origin premium where you get the ultimate edition of MS first party games. PC improvements are great to hear especially since some of my friends main PC. As for the last thing, I think most in this figured this but still nice to get more confirmation.
Minecraft, Forza Motorsport 7 (since they're really dedicated to it compared to past titles), Contrast, Cobolt, Kinect games, Halo 3/4/Reach 360 editions, Kalimba, Lococycle (underrated, cheesy, fun game), Voodoo Vince (not 1st party devs but they own the IP), Cuphead (not 1st party but there is an exclusivity clause in the contract), Pillars of Eternity.

Aug 26, 2018
Then end it with a 3rd party game like almost every year, or save Gears 5's information for last.

We all know Gears 5 is releasing this year, no point holding it till the end. The end of E3 is usually for surprises ( CP2077 E3 2018, Scorpio Announcement E3 2017), so I expect a new game announcement.

Fable is barely off the ground, they're still building the studio, going to be a while on that one

Its going to be 2+ years since GIBIZ spoke about the 2nd studio.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ning-second-studio-working-on-open-world-game

I think 2+ years is enough to get out a teaser atleast. Don't you think?

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
We all know Gears 5 is releasing this year, no point holding it till the end. The end of E3 is usually for surprises ( CP2077 E3 2018, Scorpio Announcement E3 2017), so I expect a new game announcement.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ning-second-studio-working-on-open-world-game

Not when that 2+ years including building a new team from scratch. It'll be a next-gen game, maybe a teaser E3 next year, no need to announce now with the content they have coming

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Bit too early for Playgrounds RPG, so unless it's a bait and switch and someone else is working on Fable, doubt it. Ninja Theory's new game has been baking for a while now, especially since it will likely be a medium sized title, plus they recently got a trademark for what is probably the title. Could also be something new from Rare, that'd be a neat little curveball.

Except for maybe State of Decay or We Happy Few DLC, I doubt any of the other new first party studios have really had enough time to put something showable together by e3

That was when they just started staffing, and they're still hiring engine programmers and artists for that studio, they're likely still hammering down an engine, a look, and a setting. If there's anything from Fable, it might be something like the first Anniversary teaser with Jack of Blades. They might flash a nice render of the guild seal or something, but even that would surprise me. Xbox has been bit too many times recently by announcing games too early, and Fable by all accounts is going to be huge and bold, definitely worth holding on to.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018
Not when that 2+ years including building a new team from scratch. It'll be a next-gen game, maybe a teaser E3 next year, no need to announce now with the content they have coming

Fair enough. If Halo Infinite is Fall 2020, Rare Spring 2021 & Fable Fall 2021, Obsidian Spring 2022 & Gears 6 Fall 2022, The Initiative Fall 2023.

So, Fable might be announced in E3 2020 too.

Bit too early for Playgrounds RPG, so unless it's a bait and switch and someone else is working on Fable, doubt it. Ninja Theory's new game has been baking for a while now, especially since it will likely be a medium sized title, plus they recently got a trademark for what is probably the title. Could also be something new from Rare, that'd be a neat little curveball.

Except for maybe State of Decay or We Happy Few DLC, I doubt any of the other new first party studios have really had enough time to put something showable together by e3

Now that would be interesting. Is it going to be AAA?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Maybe it'll end with The Initiative announcing their first game, soon to be indie darling Game Dev Simulator 2019.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
From that interview, it sounds like it will be a good year for PC. If they are doing anything major in the next Windows update then we might see the stuff announced at inside xbox. The stuff will start appearing in insider builds soon if they are going to release something in April.
1903 is considered pretty much feature complete at this time, and there's not much Xbox stuff in there. What they are doing (and I assume we will see more of this) is pushing the different Xbox services to be distributed/updated through the Store instead of tied to a Windows Update. Game Bar is the latest example of this, and they are flighting some changes to the fast ring for Game Bar.

Forzatech for Fable?
Nope, UE4

Last edited:

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
No way they show off Fable yet unless they debut the Scarlet at this E3.

I'm pretty sure Ninja Theorys game is the game that might get announced this year.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
1903 is considered pretty much feature complete at this time, and there's not much Xbox stuff in there. What they are doing (and I assume we will see more of this) be pushing the different Xbox services to be distributed/updated through the Store instead of tied to a Windows Update. Game Bar is the latest example of this, and they are flighting some changes to the fast ring for Game Bar.

Nope, UE4
Yeah true, forgot they moved some of the stuff out of being tied to windows.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yes. But it's not wise to announce 2+ years before it's ready. They've been burned by that, and everything that Phil has said and continues to say tells us "We're not going to blow everything prematurely. We've got choices, we don't want to show our entire hand."

Aug 26, 2018
It's apparently been in the oven since 2014 so given the dev time I could see it being pretty big. At least bigger than Hellblade.

Wow, that long? Did they start this project parallet to SoT?

So far everything seems to point to just the PS5 though while for MS it seems to be multiple. But things can change of course and it's all rumors so far anyway.

True, Imagine being Shawn Layden/Mark Cerny and seeing insider info that Xbox has 2 SKUs and how they would use their 'Most Powerful' tagline next gen. They would be thinking, should we just stick to what worked for us at 399$ or try to one-up Xbox by unveiling this monster SKU at 599$ competing with Anaconda.

I think the latter sounds more exciting but I think they know better than me :)

Yes. But it's not wise to announce 2+ years before it's ready. They've been burned by that, and everything that Phil has said and continues to say tells us "We're not going to blow everything prematurely. We've got choices, we don't want to show our entire hand."

If you told this to me in 2017, I would have said absolutely True.

Now, they have 12 Studios and will acquire more. They won't blow their load by announcing 1 game early. They can easily get one of Obsidian, The Initiative, The Coalition ( PD?) to announce their new game in E3 2020.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this about Microsoft's efforts in Japan: for better or worse, it is an important factor.

If this gen and the last have taught us anything, the hardcore matters.

The hardcore don't make up the majority of consumers, but they are loudest and they're very influential. The hardcore are the early adopters, they're tone setters, they're the gatekeepers and influencers - they're the people MS need to win over early.

A lot has to go right for MS to win over core gamers, and a big part of that is producing content that appeals to them, which will require a lot of things, but as far Japan specifically goes: 1) consistent availability of Japanese content, and 2) exclusive Japanese content that they cannot consume on competing platforms.

The segment on Japan in Phil's interview on Giantbomb after E3 last year is very telling of their plans moving forward. It was a pain transcribing all this but here it is.
Jeff: That was something that I think we we said last year as we were kind of wrapping up the year and 'okay, what's our game of the year' and all that kind of of stuff - it's that feeling of, you know, we get asked a lot of [by] friends, family: 'hey, you know I'm shopping for the holidays, what should I get?'

Phil: Yeah.

Jeff: The thing I had realised on the heels of building what I felt were the best games of 2017, it's really hard for me to recommend a console that doesn't have Nier on it, and you have these situations where these games are coming to PS4, and then PC, and still SOMEHOW not making it on to the Xbox! And you know, I think we saw a few games outta Square this year that were announced in a similar capacity. It seems like there's more work to be done.

Phil: Totally!

Jeff: I mean definitely looking at the briefing, it's seem like you're on the road.

Phil: I'm climbing the mountain. I'll be back over [in Japan] this summer, and you know it really is the feedback loop of our audience supporting those games when they come, I think we've seen that with things like Monster and Resident Evil, and getting to be bring Tales of Vesperia onto the stage - I've said this of any country where Xbox marketshare suffers, I think it's Japan. We're the away team.

Jeff: I was in Japan when the original Xbox launched, and was there in the room where Bill Gates was handing them out.

Phil: So when those developers are going home, they're probably not playing on an Xbox, which means you've just go to do the work. You've gotta go over there, you got to build the relationships. I knew a lot of the developers when I was in first party, now [sic] getting more plugged into the third party management, trying to give them feedback on what I think can help with global success of some games and then seeing some of those things work out... announces like [Dragon Ball FighterZ] last year where I think they start to see 'hey this audience does really react' and we can give them a platform.

Jeff: I'm in the middle of watching Dragon Ball for the first time. That game did that. I did not expect it to go that way, believe me, but here we are.

Phil: We're not done. I see what people want, I want all of the games to be playable on Xbox, at least the ones that make it there, I want them to obviously play very well on Xbox, and Japan is the one place where I feel it's literally getting on the ground and doing the work.

Jeff: It seems like that maybe waxes and wanes a little bit. I remember prior to the original Xbox launch we had Seamus Blackley come in with a copy of DoA and he was saying at the time 'I have an apartment over there, I'm there, I'm making sure this stuff happens' - it seemed like at launch of that first console there was that feeling of 'we gotta make this work in Japan.'

Phil: Yeah.

Jeff: So is that something that just, you know, waxes and wanes as people maybe take their eye of the ball a bit, and now you're like 'we've got a bit of a deficit again here with games from this territory' like 'we've gotta get out there'?

Phil: Yeah, I think you have to have a long term perspective. I will also say, and this isn't defence of any kind of people running our teams, the Japanese development community went through a time where it was unclear how importnat console was going to be. A lot of them moved to mobile. I worked on Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, and that was another time in the 360 generation when we said 'okay, we're gonna try again.' I think my view that's maybe a little different is: I love selling Xboxes in Japan and I would love to be the market leader in Japan, but I kind of take a different view is: I want Japanese developers to have success globally, and I think I can help there. So I guess my tactic is just a little different, I'm not trying to go in and trying to get them to help us in Japan, I'm trying to say 'here's how I think Monster Hunter can be a great game' and that's just an example of talking with the Capcom team long, long ago. They've signed the marketing deal with Sony, but I was like 'I don't care who's marketing your game, I want your game to be great.'

Jeff: Still coming to your platform.

Phil: That's right. Those kind of conversations have landed very well as you can go, put a controller in your hand, sit with the creators and talk about what you see having global success on your platform. Those developers for the most part want to reach a global audience. The area where we still, I'd say, have less success, is games that really see the Japanese market for their game as 80-90% of where their units sales are going to come from the game, and if they don't see a big global market, then it is more challenging for me, there's no doubt about it.

Phil: [sic] I'm not giving up. I do think, and not to bring it back to some marketing spiel on Game Pass, but it's actually a perfect thing where you can start to put regional content into a subscription. I mean you see this with some of the video subscriptions, where you get movies from India and they get very popular, and you see it with manga and you see it with other things that show up in these video services. So I've been thinking about how, 'well how can Game Pass help these teams' where 'yeah, maybe you're not going to have a huge retail presence, but I can build a business deal with you to bring the games in, and they can reach the global audience that might be interested in your game... I'm gonna keep working on it. The success we had this year was better than last year, and I was incredibly proud of the games that were there and I think I'm at TGS again this year and I'll keep working on it.

Since this interview, MS has begun creating a division in Asia specifically to secure Japanese content.

I think we'll see a big difference next gen.

Aug 26, 2018
I'll say this about Microsoft's efforts in Japan: for better or worse, it is an important factor.

If this gen and the last have taught us anything, the hardcore matters.

The hardcore don't make up the majority of consumers, but they are loudest and they're very influential. The hardcore are the early adopters, they're tone setters, they're the gatekeepers and influencers - they're the people MS need to win over early.

A lot has to go right for MS to win over core gamers, and a big part of that is producing content that appeals to them, which will require a lot of things, but as far Japan specifically goes: 1) consistent availability of Japanese content, and 2) exclusive Japanese content that they cannot consume on competing platforms.

The segment on Japan in Phil's interview on Giantbomb after E3 last year is very telling of their plans moving forward. It was a pain transcribing all this but here it is.

Since this interview, MS has begun creating a division in Asia specifically to secure Japanese content.

I think we'll see a big difference next gen.

3. Acquire a Japanese Developer. This would really help them understand the workings/culture of creating a Japanese game.

Platinum Games/Sega/Capcom come to mind.

Probably foolish to suggest this but been playing RE2 Remake and my god, its amazing so far. Imagine if MS bought Capcom, they would immediately get Mega Man, Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Dead Rising and DMC.

That would be the megaton announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.