• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
A powerful version (Anaconda), and a standard/streaming version (Lockhart). There are also rumors about a discless Xbox One console launching this year, which should also serve as a test to determine whether to bother with a discless next gen SKU.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I've been wondering why on earth we don't have diskless consoles already.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Gamepass has really changed the way I consume content, at least for single player games. I'm playing so many more games than I used too. So many games that I wanted to play but didn't. So many games that I would never have bought because they are out of my comfort zone.

I think gamepass is a year or 2 from hitting 10 million subs.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly my fault, lol, its all speculation, but lets see, by next e3, we could hear something on that front.

We're all guilty of it :)

Just that in this thread we can take rumours and suggestions as fact then there's the fallout/disappointment when it doesn't happen. I'd love Xbox to build a team around him I just don't think it will happen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I've been wondering why on earth we don't have diskless consoles already.
Because gamers are very conservative and like "ownership" - even though all you actually own is a plastic box and disc with half a game and no patches these days. Did you not see the backlash when the original plan for XBO was announced?

Also a discless console has to have some kind of unique selling point - in addition to a lower price, it needs to have a very small form factor to differentiate itself. But if the rumours of the discless XBO are true, it'll basically just look like a S but without a drive, which is missing the point IMO.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I hope not. I have both consoles and my pc but MS doesn't have to buy everything, just for buying. Let's see first if they can even manage the current studios they have.

That doesn't mean they acquire every studio they partnered with. Then Sony would have all japan studios right now and a lot of other western studios.
There is validity in wanting them to wait it out, and see if their current purchases bear fruit. There are, however, two problems.

1. Microsoft waited way too long to start taking the Xbox division seriously. It's caused a massive problem in their first-party lineup, as well as their exclusives in general.

2. If they wait too long, someone else could swoop in and buy them. Imagine if Microsoft, hypothetically, bought Insomniac after Sunset Overdrive, or funded a sequel after it came out. That would cause big problems for Sony as they either lose a huge partner, or Spider-Man takes longer to create.

Jdubs

Dec 4, 2018
Because gamers are very conservative and like "ownership" - even though all you actually own is a plastic box and disc with half a game and no patches these days. Did you not see the backlash when the original plan for XBO was announced?

Also a discless console has to have some kind of unique selling point - in addition to a lower price, it needs to have a very small form factor to differentiate itself. But if the rumours of the discless XBO are true, it'll basically just look like a S but without a drive, which is missing the point IMO.

That's pretty much how it feels to own a disk these days. It will require you to download an obsene amount of data to go with it anyway so why bother?

Kind of curious about how easily they could shrink it down. Obviously they worked magic with the one x but that required a unique and expensive cooling solution. By keeping the S form factor they can probably just slash the price rather than doing something fancy.

ComboBongo

Oct 30, 2017
If MS wanted to, could they preload next-gen Xbox consoles with all of the launch exclusives + a month of GP to access them? That could be really enticing for a consumer to be able to just buy a box and have all the games ready as soon as they get home.

Like imagine having Halo Infinite, Forza, and KI ready to play from the get-go.

That's such a great idea

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
So... about that Gobo partnership, do we know anything other than that random mobile racing game? Electric Square seems to be on a hiring spree and still working on an unannounced project.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Kinda off preloading games onto the next console (btw, that should happen with a small external drive that they hand you with your purchase):

I wonder if Game Pass and the benefits of beating Sony to the punch may make a slightly earlier release of next gen Xbox with a longer "launch" window feasible. If they still pack in a trial for Game Pass, any 1st party game that actually launches with the console becomes a pack-in (and wow what a hell of a pack-in Halo Infinite could be). That's absolutely not a bad thing.. but.. dropping all of your 1st parties in the same month, especially into a crowded holiday release window seems like bad business. You risk Titanfall 2-ing your smaller games.

So.. what if they pushed up the release of JUST Anaconda to mid-late Summer 2020, 1-1.5 months after E3. With the console, you have a set of 3rd party exclusives along with two big 1st party releases (maybe Halo + Ninja Theory's game or Fable, if that's done). You wouldn't necessarily have the masses jumping on it, but then the price would be out of reach for them anyway. So, if the lineup is exciting, then MS has taken the first whack at making an impression - precisely with the super fans and hardcore users who would be most likely to evangelize for you. Additionally, release the console at no cheaper than cost of manufacturing, but pack in 3 months of game pass (right up to the start of the holidays) as an incentive that first month.

This then gets people to try out game pass right away as you continue to launch day and date a string of big 1st and 3rd party games onto the service at a clip of two-three a month - almost like Summer of Arcade back in the day. Then, holiday season hits with the release of PS5, timed to take advantage of the buying frenzy. This.. is when Lockhart gets released. The price will undercut Sony's console significantly, but it will still benefit from the positive press that the Anaconda has been receiving for the first few months. Additionally, new consoles (of both SKUs) bought at this time will also include a month of Game Pass, meaning that anyone who buys a new console suddenly has all of the new games they've been hearing about available right away for no extra money.

I think this staggered release of consoles and games would be a good way of highlighting the various strengths of the Xbox ecosystem in the next gen - power advantage on one console, price advantage on the other, renewed 3rd party dev support, a bunch of 1st party studios, some really pro-consumer subscriptions, and the promise of compatibility and interoperability through and through. I think that speaks to pretty much the whole array of console owners (and perhaps further, if you work in xCloud). And, it does it while promoting some MS 1st party that might otherwise get buried or overlooked their chance to shine - and even to drive game pass subscriptions.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

they Can Change the design and Make it Smaller than the X and Cheaper than the S

So then they Give us the Option to Buy discless or with Disc and people won't complain

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Glen Schofield studio would be interesting but seriously we need to assume every studio lead that leaves their studio is automatically going join up with Microsoft. While I think him and people like Jade Raymond are fantastic leads, there is absolutely no evidence that they were even consider by MS.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Glen Schofield studio would be interesting but seriously we need to assume every studio lead that leaves their studio is automatically going join up with Microsoft. While I think him and people like Jade Raymond are fantastic leads, there is absolutely no evidence that they were even consider by MS.
you need to Add Stop after we need.....

and yes you are right people here always Go wild..they need to Stop Talking with out evidence or inside information

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was almost at the point where, based on the stuff people were saying here, that it was basically confirmed and I'd missed some big news!

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought Schoefild was confirmed from some posts here and believe it

I was almost at the point where, based on the stuff people were saying here, that it was basically confirmed and I'd missed some big news!

No. We are only speculating. Factually there is nothing that points to the conclusion either Raymond or Schofield are joining Xbox. The only knowledge we have is that Phil mentioned several times they are looking for these kind of industry talent - and both are free on the market.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. We are only speculating. Factually there is nothing that points to the conclusion either Raymond or Schofield are joining Xbox. The only knowledge we have is that Phil mentioned several times they are looking for these kind of industry talent.

Well yeah, but the way people are talking about it in this thread - further speculating what game they might be creating lol.

The thirst is real.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

There have been zero rumors about how it will look.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As I mentioned before, I'm not even arguing that they're going to hit a 90+ and its guaranteed, I only said that given how much Phil and Xbox have hyped this studio all the way down to the job posting a sub 90 would be an L.

If Phil had simply said its a new studio with Gallagher leading it then an 80+ would be fine

You can't wank the studio, you can't put AAAA in the job posting and then say an 80+ would off to a great start. That would be off to a terrible start.
Right and that's a fair point that you don't expect that to happen, but regardless you project that they think having such messaging means that they must assume a sub 90 would be an L, and I think that's a very strong assumption without a lot of backing. These are veterans and they must acknowledge those harsh realities they have in front of them, so I don't see why you should correlate a marketing message (not only to the the players, but to finding developers as you also have to really fight tooth and nail to hire and scale AAA teams) that they must have ridiculously high expectations internally. Creating a AAAA studio to me doesn't necessarily scream that it's first output has extremely high expectations, because it can also mean incredible technical scope, time-to-market, content production capacity etc none of which necessarily can directly and realistically benchmark immediately against an MC score, at least on the first outing.

That said, I think we have put enough effort in this discussion, as to my knowledge they've already withdrawn from the "AAAA" term and all of their active job listings and communication have only "AAA" in them (my guess is it could have been a bit difficult to pitch for potential candidates joining the studio, and something that for everyone in there hard to believe in, and people devs really want to be associated with such bullshit if it indeed doesn't feel like something they believe in) :)

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
A powerful version (Anaconda), and a standard/streaming version (Lockhart). There are also rumors about a discless Xbox One console launching this year, which should also serve as a test to determine whether to bother with a discless next gen SKU.
God i hope they dont do this, there will be so much backslash if they attempt to kill retailers with this movement. Physical games still sell a lot

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Me looking for evidence that all these linkedin posts with question marks have remotely anything to do with Microsoft Studios.
giphy.gif

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I think it's also worth noting (which has been done before) that Nintendo benefits from the infrastructure that MS can offer, and MS benefits from overall reach.

Also, in terms of Ninty worried about loss of sales from games in both ecosystems, there's the case that on a plane or train (with slow internet) XCloud might not be viable, meaning "local" portable gaming still has its place.

Hell, with analytics the two could work out a deal that if a user is XCloud through Switch (and non-MS) hardware exclusively that Ninty gets a percentage boost of the revenue share.

I see it as free Azure use across Nintendo's gaming efforts, maybe some Live infrastructure for voice chat and whatnot, in exchange for XCloud on Switch. Throw in a 10% revenue share if the user is accessing the service ≥80% through a Switch and I don't see why not (armchair analyst, lmao)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Becoming too large to fast is a danger, I hope that they don't just buy to buy but have a plan too.

Normally this is true. Expanding too fast can result in a lot of waste, not enough support for those who need it and eventually the bottom falling out. Happens in business all the time.

Few things to consider in this situation:
- Wasn't an overnight decision. Spencer has been teasing this was coming for a few years. They restructured, added another layer of videogame management, added internal support teams and focused everyone who is under Nadella that's in the game division to only be in be game division. No longer diluted by Windows.
- Every studio they've either purchased or are building is self sustaining. Microsoft is targeting studios with good leadership and taking hands off approach. No changes to these companies structure, culture or pipelines. No traditional corporate integration. They're buying these studios almost the same way an outside investor would with the one caveat being they control the platforms their products go to.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
God i hope they dont do this, there will be so much backslash if they attempt to kill retailers with this movement. Physical games still sell a lot

I wouldn't say this is trying to kill retailers, and personally I'd love it if it were true. The only system I still buy physical games for is the Switch, and I do that begrudgingly. I'd love a cheaper, potentially smaller Xbox I could justify as a second console for my office or treadmill or something.

For what it's worth, physical games made up something like 20% of game sales in 2018 in the US. It varies country to country, but it's certainly on the decline.

*As long as discless is an option, not the only option. I'd love a discless console, but I know some people still want physical games. I also have an X that I use for blu rays and stuff, so discless wouldn't replace my current Xbox fully.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Why would it be an attempt to kill retailers? It would just be another option, and a great one for 2019. There are already many people out there who are all or mostly digital, especially now with subscription services, and if they could get a cheaper and more reliable (less mechanical parts) console for less money, perhaps they would. The rest can still get the traditional version. Not giving people that option won't make them go physical for some reason, they will just have to pay more for features that they won't use.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Nah. This thread is hot because it allows wild speculation. And wildly speculating that Microsoft is talking to every available studio and established free agent isn't that wild. We have to assume that someone at Microsoft is having talks...even if no deal gets done. Just like when there's any top free agent in MLB that fills a position of need for the Yankees...it's safe to assume they'll at least be making a pitch. Microsoft leadership wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't at least investigating or kicking the tires on just about any rumor we've suggested that's somewhat sensible. Many of those won't turn into anything but there should be smoke all over.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was lead multiplayer level designer for Halo 4...

Not sure that's really something you want on your CV.

This is uncharitable to say the least.

Regardless of where this person is working or what they're working on, just because they weren't a right fit for Halo doesn't mean they're completely worthless going forward.

Halo 4 was a supremely well made game. It just wasn't a good Halo game.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Regardless of where this person is working or what they're working on, just because they weren't a right fit for Halo doesn't mean they're completely worthless going forward.

Hey, I'm one of the few people who really likes Halo 4.

The maps, however, are straight up bad. It's not that they just don't work with Halo - they also don't work with Halo 4.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
with regards all to the various dev talent, I agree that its too early and too vague to assume these people have been snapped up by MS, however don't think someone from MS hasn't been on the phone, this quote from Ryan Payton comes to mind:

I shipped Metal Gear Solid 4 in June of 2008 and I had about four months of paid vacation built up. I went back home to Washington State and discovered some health issues with my family that I needed to take care of. About a month later I flew back to Japan and I told Konami and Hideo that I had to quit and they were very supportive. As I flew back home after living in Japan for five years, I had to think seriously about what I wanted to do next.

I had a very peculiar skillset. I was not a trained designer, programmer or producer, but I was involved in a lot of interesting, high-level aspects of Metal Gear Solid. So with no relative work experience outside of Japan, how could I apply my unique resume to western development? I remember when news hit online that I was leaving Konami, within 15 minutes, I had an email from a Microsoft recruiter saying they wanted me to meet with me.

At the time there was no name for 343 Industries, it was just the Halo studio. When I joined we had some ideas about different projects, but it was undefined. At the beginning, I spent maybe half of my time recruiting.
When I came in to interview at Microsoft, I didn't know what job I was interviewing for. Midway through the interview process they asked me questions like, "If you were creative director on Halo, what would you do?" It was then when I realized what I was interviewing for, and then I just went for it.

full article: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-untold-history-of-halo-an-oral-history#ulf-5

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

I enjoyed Halo 4.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 is probably my favorite single player Halo as someone who loves the extended fiction. Multiplayer wise, yea, it wasn't amazing but maps like Haven, Monolith and Skyline were absolutely incredible. I remember everyone raving about Skyline when it was first released and was blown away that more people weren't talking about Monolith.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Loved Halo 4. Loved it. Probably moreso than the story in 5 but, 5 had the best MP of all Halo's in my opinion.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Glen Schofield getting the Gallagher treatment would be nuts though. Xbox getting its own Resident Evil /Dead Space caliber series.

I wish they could buy the Dead Space IP from EA

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Glen Schofield getting the Gallagher treatment would be nuts though. Xbox getting its own Resident Evil /Dead Space caliber series.

I wish they could buy the Dead Space IP from EA

Agree. Also agree there's no substance behind these rumors but it's fun to think about any top industry talent getting freedom to make their dream game. Especially a guy like that who's a fan of things many of us are fans of.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm one of the few people who really likes Halo 4.

The maps, however, are straight up bad. It's not that they just don't work with Halo - they also don't work with Halo 4.

You've got a right to your opinions. I don't think those maps were bad for any game, but the faults you can find it are rooted in the game's identity crisis.

Regardless, I think we can do better than writing off devs completely based on a project we didn't like we can only observe from the outside.

I enjoyed parts of it.

But my issues with the game, aside from the outrageous mismanagement of the lore, are rooted in it not being a good Halo game.

In all other aspects, it's first in class.

Status
Not open for further replies.