• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The X Factor next gen that's hard to anticipate is Microsoft Global Publishing.

They're the team dedicated to acquiring third party exclusives - some based on classic Xbox IP like Crackdown 3, and others brand new IP from partner studios like Ori.

Microsoft has always invested in working with third party studios, but this is the first time there's been a dedicated team of this kind and this much emphasis.

I'm expecting titles like Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies and others to come back through MSGP in next 3-5 years, as well as new IP with partner studios like Moon.

Then there's the Asia division they're building, which I don't believe will only be to ensure non-exclusive games come to Xbox and Windows rather than just skipping them by default.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Maybe, but i think Halo will be THE launch game, I don't think they will want anything potentially taking some of it's thunder away.

I can't imagine Halo being the only significant launch title, I love Halo, but there are plenty of people that don't. Halo as a big cinematic FPS with a big multiplayer scene, Perfect Dark as a third person stealth game and Fable as an open world RPG could be a good triumvirate of launch games to cast a wide net on audiences.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Can we expect E3 2019 to be a game reveal blowout for Xbox first party? I mean, these studio acquisitions have really lost their hype to me since I have no clue what they will be making under MS.

I want to see some teasers at the very least from these studios. Ninja Theory´s next game reveal is a lock and maybe Fable too from PlayGround, but there needs to be a bit more than that with how many studios they have bought already
This is a little ridiculous. Games take time to make.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Can we expect E3 2019 to be a game reveal blowout for Xbox first party? I mean, these studio acquisitions have really lost their hype to me since I have no clue what they will be making under MS.

I want to see some teasers at the very least from these studios. Ninja Theory´s next game reveal is a lock and maybe Fable too from PlayGround, but there needs to be a bit more than that with how many studios they have bought already
No, as they've publicly said many times at this point they want to get away from announcing things "too soon". I don't see them abandoning that strategy in the near future.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to say no because the new acquisitions weren't just idle, they're still working towards fulfilling present commitments.

Though I think MS should make every effort to get out all the games that they can get out in the lead up to Scarlett launch to build up trust and a cache with consumers, I don't think E3 2019 will be about the games we don't know about yet, aside from perhaps Ninja Theory's game, and potentially what Playful Corp is working on.

I anticipate E3 to be largely about Gears 5, studio acquisitions, Game Pass and xCloud - as far as Microsoft Studios is concerned.

Everything else will be third party.

That doesn't mean I don't think there will new announcements at Gamescom or X019 though, because I think there certainly will be something new at at least one of them.

Having said all that, I still expect E3 2019 is to be fantastic for MS.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't think it's that crazy to expect multiple heavy hitters to launch with the next Xbox. MS needs to start off next gen with a bang.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that crazy to expect multiple heavy hitters to launch with the next Xbox. MS needs to start off next gen with a bang.

I have no doubt that there will be multiple heavy hitters at launch, but I think MS will prioritise
  1. diversity in line-up
  2. steady release in exclusive content in the launch window all throughout the race to 10m
  3. avoid overlapping too much with third party publishers
In terms of content at launch, I fully expect
  • Halo Infinite as their shooter
  • Forza 8 as their racing game
  • Killer Instinct 2 as their fighting game
  • inXile New Orleans' game as their RPG
  • 1 or 2 small to mid-sized Japanese exclusives of some kind
  • action adventure game of some kind

That's not counting potential crossgen titles like Gears 5, Bleeding Edge, Playful Corp's game and whatever else they might have.

I don't expect MS to disappoint in terms of content. They understand content is king at this point about as well as it can be understood.

What I'm most interested in finding out is what they've got planned for the launch window, i.e. those first 12 months, rather than what's available at launch. I can only imagine.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine Halo being the only significant launch title, I love Halo, but there are plenty of people that don't. Halo as a big cinematic FPS with a big multiplayer scene, Perfect Dark as a third person stealth game and Fable as an open world RPG could be a good triumvirate of launch games to cast a wide net on audiences.
Perfect Dark would be a big deal for Microsoft, i just don't see them putting it up against Halo.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark will more than likely have a massive marketing effort behind it so I don't anticipate that having to compete at launch.

I do think we'll see at it at E3 2020 though, and I do think it'll launch within 12 months of Scarlett.

A steady release of diverse games is going to be the key to next gen, and more importantly, building Game Pass.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
  • action adventure game of some kind.
I would add the new Fable to that list ..

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I have no doubt that there will be multiple heavy hitters at launch, but I think MS will prioritise
  1. diversity in line-up
  2. steady release in exclusive content in the launch window all throughout the race to 10m

That's not counting potential crossgen titles like Gears 5, Bleeding Edge, Playful Corp's game and whatever else they might have.

I don't expect MS to disappoint in terms of content. They understand content is king at this point about as well as it can be understood.

What I'm most interested in finding out is what they've got planned for the launch window, i.e. those first 12 months, rather than what's available at launch. I can only imagine.
Didn't inXile New Orleans just put out a Bard's Tale game in the last six months? Hard to see them hitting a 24 month turnaround with such a small team, in addition to patching Bard's Tale, which I believe had a pretty rough launch.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would add the new Fable to that list ..

I did, and then removed it because I don't think that, as efficient as Playground is, that the game will be ready at launch. For a while now, I've thought Playground's Fable won't be out until late 2021 or some time in 2022ish.

If you have reason to believe Fable will there at launch, I'm happy to hear it.

Didn't inXile New Orleans just put out a Bard's Tale game in the last six months? Hard to see them hitting a 24 month turnaround with such a small team, in addition to patching Bard's Tale, which I believe had a pretty rough launch.

inXile has had a new project in the works for a while before the acquisition.

Newport Beach is, I think, all hands on deck for Wasteland 3.

NOLA would be my guess on who's actually developing the game, though I do believe NB is contributing to it still.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
I did, and then removed it because I don't think that, as efficient as Playground is, that the game will be ready at launch.

True. Will be interesting to see how far along they are. If not launch i would think somewhere within a year of launch we would see it. MS will obviously want to spread out their first part titles.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
  1. diversity in line-up

I'd be ok with that lineup. If we do get smaller Japanese exclusives, who would make them? Cyberconect2 or Grounding Inc would be my guess.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True. Will be interesting to see how far along they are. If not launch i would think somewhere within a year of launch we would see it. MS will obviously want to spread out their first part titles.

Q4 2021 or Q1-2 2022 would be my guess.

If MS has their pillars IP and tentpole releases spread out well over the years, then they'll be cooking.

I'd be ok with that lineup. If we do get smaller Japanese exclusives, who would make them? Cyberconect2 or Grounding Inc would be my guess.

Grounding Inc is a good bet.

White Owls is too.

I don't know what kind of relationship MS has with CyberConnect2 outside of my fantasy of MS acquiring them to make Lost Odyssey 2, so no clue on that.

Experience would be a good guess though, as they're still working on an Xbox exclusive now.

From should bring back Otogi.

I've floated this idea before cause I think it could really happen.

But I also think a N3 reboot by Platinum is also be a thing that could feasibly happen, so I don't know what that tells you.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I did, and then removed it because I don't think that, as efficient as Playground is, that the game will be ready at launch. For a while now, I've thought Playground's Fable won't be out until late 2021 or some time in 2022ish.

If you have reason to believe Fable will there at launch, I'm happy to hear it.
I think even that's too early. They still have dozens of job openings for the project, including many senior positions like Creative Director, Art Director, Technical Director, World Designer... It's several years away. I'd guess that it's barely much of anything right now except a directive that this is what they're doing.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I honestly think there's a decent chance we don't get a huge launch line-up, but Microsoft instead chooses to "spread the love" with first and second party titles.

A new first or second party game on Game Pass for the first 6-8 months would, in my opinion, be more impactful than including multiple titles at launch. There will be a ton of third-party options at launch (there was for the Xbox One, anyway) with titles like Call of Duty, a shooter from EA (my guess would be Battlefront), and at least one Ubisoft title.

Something like Halo at launch in October (with third-party launch lineup), Forza in November, Killer Instinct in December, a smaller MSGP title (on the same scale as Ori or Cuphead) in January, an RPG from inXile in February, and a AAA MSGP action-adventure game in March would be a great way to launch a console and would go a long ways towards changing the perception that Microsoft doesn't have any exclusive games.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I need to smirk a bit at the "omg PS5 is only 8TF+ comments?" honestly. What are you expecting for $400 ...?

I thought it was always kinda known that with next-gen coming, people will only then begin to realize how big the specs for Xbox One X really are.

Nov 11, 2017
I think you guys were expecting way to much at launch , ms has to have games coming out essentially every 2 months .

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I need to smirk a bit at the "omg PS5 is only 8TF+ comments?" honestly. What are you expecting for $400 ...?

I thought it was always kinda known that with next-gen coming, people will only then begin to realize how big the specs for Xbox One X really are.
Klobrille our here implying the Reddit leak is true. 🧐

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Klobrille our here implying the Reddit leak is true. 🧐
Nein. Well, at least not anywhere near that complete thing. I think the direction of some things written down there is correct though - at least seen from a tentative viewpoint. There are some obvious wrong things in the post and some things that may be true - but I think these are more educated guesswork based on Era / Twitter posts than actual knowhow.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think even that's too early. They still have dozens of job openings for the project, including many senior positions like Creative Director, Art Director, Technical Director, World Designer... It's several years away. I'd guess that it's barely much of anything right now except a directive that this is what they're doing.

Yup, even late 2022 should be considered good time.

I've gone as far as to suggest 2023.

But it's PG.

They defy logic at times.

2022 at the latest.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
  1. diversity in line-up

agree mostly..

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

Exactly. And even 500$ it will still probably take a loss to go over 8tf. The X still cost 400+ to make in all likelihood and they really only pushed the envelope with the gpu. The cpu is ass, hard drive is ass, and the ram is ok.

When I first saw the reddit leak I scuffed at the lockhart. Worse gpu than the X. But the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Market it as the 1080 p console and andaconda as 4K gaming machine. Though I do think andaconda need to have the same cpu, and ram setup.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to see what the "X" with a Ryzen CPU could do. I think 6tf is plenty powerful, what holds it back is the CPU. I know Scarlet will be very powerful, but I also laugh at people freaking out if the PS5 would be a 8tf. 8tf is a massive jump in itself and with a Ryzen CPU it would be killer.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The X Factor next gen that's hard to anticipate is Microsoft Global Publishing.

They're the team dedicated to acquiring third party exclusives - some based on classic Xbox IP like Crackdown 3, and others brand new IP from partner studios like Ori.

Microsoft has always invested in working with third party studios, but this is the first time there's been a dedicated team of this kind and this much emphasis.

I'm expecting titles like Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies and others to come back through MSGP in next 3-5 years, as well as new IP with partner studios like Moon.

Then there's the Asia division they're building, which I don't believe will only be to ensure non-exclusive games come to Xbox and Windows rather than just skipping them by default.

This is a very good speculative post and something the Xbox community isn't talking enough about. Why would Microsoft's gaming investment increase be limited to only 1st party? The answer, I think, it isn't. I think it's a logical step to assume their global publishing has received a higher budget as well and this is how they'll fill those gaps between now and when these aquisitions and new studios start paying off. It's how they'll fill those gaps for diversity and worldwide appeal.

2nd party is a great opportunity to get a feel for who you might or might not purchase in the future. It's the better way to leverage older, mid level IPs (like the Battletech universe, Crimson Skies, Perfect Dark, Lost Odyssey, Conkers, etc).

We have to assume if Microsoft is keeping their word and giving their new studios creative freedom, it's luck of the draw whether they'll have the desire to work on IPs that already exist. 2nd party is where the executives at Microsoft can try out their ideas with the help of someone else.

I also wonder if some of the rumored studios for aquisitions are actually studios Microsoft is looking to create 2nd party relationships with. For example, Turtle Rock should be deep in development on something. We already know Platinum is open to working with Microsoft again.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's a given. As more and more people subscribe to Game Pass, sales of MS exclusives are going to go down.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For PS5, im actually expecting an 8TF GPU, Ryzen 7 CPU, 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD for $500 which in almost two years from now is pretty reasonable considering that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo buy in bulk so the cost would be cheaper. Maybe a slighter lesser CPU but im hoping that's not the case.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
For PS5, im actually expecting an 8TF GPU, Ryzen 7 CPU, 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD for $500 which in almost two years from now is pretty reasonable considering that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo buy in bulk so the cost would be cheaper. Maybe a slighter lesser CPU but im hoping that's not the case.
That's pretty reasonable. Most people however would be disappointed in that at 400$.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very good speculative post and something the Xbox community isn't talking enough about. Why would Microsoft's gaming investment increase be limited to only 1st party? The answer, I think, it isn't. I think it's a logical step to assume their global publishing has received a higher budget as well and this is how they'll fill those gaps between now and when these aquisitions and new studios start paying off. It's how they'll fill those gaps for diversity and worldwide appeal.

2nd party is a great opportunity to get a feel for who you might or might not purchase in the future. It's the better way to leverage older, mid level IPs (like the Battletech universe, Crimson Skies, Perfect Dark, Lost Odyssey, Conkers, etc).

We have to assume if Microsoft is keeping their word and giving their new studios creative freedom, it's luck of the draw whether they'll have the desire to work on IPs that already exist. 2nd party is where the executives at Microsoft can try out their ideas with the help of someone else.

I also wonder if some of the rumored studios for aquisitions are actually studios Microsoft is looking to create 2nd party relationships with. For example, Turtle Rock should be deep in development on something. We already know Platinum is open to working with Microsoft again.

I suppose the biggest reason we don't really talk all that much about MSGP is because it's hard to anticipate what they're going to be doing next, as they do both new IP and classic Xbox IP.

You're certainly on the money that their revivals through MSGP allows their in-house studio to focus on new IP, and that's exciting because I absolutely think MS has every intention of bringing back more IPs than Crackdown and the rumoured Perfect Dark reboot. We can go in circles about what they should revive, and what studios they should partner with to create new IP.

All I'm confident of right now, is that as far the classic Xbox IP is concerned, I expect Crimson Skies and Phantom Dust to make a return.

Beyond that, I am unsure, though I absolutely think Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Starlancer, Rise of Nations and a number of other IP in MS' possession should be making returns next gen.

All the Rare IP reboots have to go under rare, but I think the following could and should be rebooted
  • Banjo-Kazooie with Playtonic
  • Conker with Ruffian/Rocket Elbow
  • Kameo with Asobo
  • Viva Pinata with Playful (which I think might actually be happening already)

As for new IP, there's a bunch of studios out there that MS could have great success with and I'm not too worried about them succeeding in that in US/CA/Europe. It's Japan where I'm most curious about their endeavours through the Asia division. That's a total question mark to me.

As far Japan goes, I hope they focus on finding a home for Lost Odyssey first with Goochi Man producing.

I personally think it should be with CyberConnect 2, but the fuck do I know?

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, that's what we've been talking about since the OT3.
Super fake, just an educated guess probably.

We should move on from that leak because it's just nonsense. Not even Microsoft knows what next gen will cost at this point.

I'm holding off reading too much into any rumors. We won't know until some of the tech sites pull these things apart how custom their customizations are or how impactful they are.

If the higher end Xbox has dedicated processors for any of the following: physics, AI or Ray tracing, it changes everything.

I don't think the guy who dropped that Reddit rumor is legit because it's impossible for him to be an Insider on all those topics. He's obviously pulled those from various sources and made his own educated guesses. What I did find interesting is this idea that the arcade machine will probably be a 1080P next gen machine. Even if just an educated guess, that's a real interesting guess. When you stop to think of it, it's a guess that makes sense. Everything a GPU does is easy to scale relative to other components. CPU is a different story. If Microsoft developed a 1080P machine with a Zen 2 super cheap, you create an entry level machine that doesn't hold back the higher end models. CPU is what's going to force a break between generations at some point. Not everyone will have a good 4K HDR TV in 2020. Not everyone puts high priority in resolution. Even in my case where I have a 1080P TV in my basement and Oled in my main room, I could see grabbing one of each if theres that kind of price disparity. A 4TF machine with Zen 2 could probably handle most of what the beefier machine does including texture detail at the lower resolution.

8 TF is all that's needed to take this gens most demanding games to 4K.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty reasonable. Most people however would be disappointed in that at 400$.

If what I listed is $400, even better. Don't know why anyone would be disappointed with what I posted for $400. I do hope that PS5 will be $500 because at $400, im fully expecting a mid-gen console which im not a fan of. Rather see stronger console at launch so devs can take full advantage of the hardware from day one until the gen ends.

I want a far better CPU than GPU because I care more about AI and whatnot than I do in regards to visuals. Games are absolutely gorgeous and if 8TF can give me Native 4K at a locked 30FPS with that Ryzen 7 CPU and what else I posted for $500, I'll be super happy.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Xbox One X isn't even officially $400 yet and outside of the 6TF GPU, it only has a Jaguar CPU, 12gb GDDR5 etc. The idea that next year we can have 10+ TF with Zen and 16gb+ GDDR6 for $400 seems very unlikely.
It's extremely unlikely. Could very well happen with a 8tf gpu but I highly doubt they are hitting 10 tf without being 499$.

The more I think about Lockhart the more I warm to it. I think it's crucial for the cpu and ram to be the same as andaconda. Only difference being gpu/hard drive.

PS4 has a 40% more powerful gpu. If Lockhart is 6 tf than ps5 needs to be 8.5 to see the same percentage difference as this gen. Then andaconda can be about 30% more powerful than ps5.

Status
Not open for further replies.