• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
https://www.gamnesia.com/news/ex-ra...ays-microsoft-isnt-to-blame-for-rare-going-al

Anyone ever see this interview with Gavin Price who use to work at Rare before forming Playtonic? He talks about how MS always supported Rare and praises Phil Spencer

Yooka Laylee was a bust, but what are the odds that MS would acquire Playtonic and have them work on a Banjo remake/sequel?

If Glen Schofield was to create a new horror franchise for Xbox, what would you want the major influences to be?

Spiritual successor I'd assume

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Many..many years ago there was a Game Cube game called Eternal Darkness. It didn't get off on jump scares like a lot of horror games do but instead was a complete psychological mind fuck.

Shame that studio went under that made it.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
75c2bba205583ca10b16d4ed5e59f04d--leaving-work-on-friday-friday-memes.jpg
Yaaay welcome back!

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
343 and Coalition need to get better at delivering a modern GAAS experience for their multiplayer that keeps a larger userbase engaged with the titles for years, not outsource the most important part of their respective games.
But hasn't Gears 4 gotten really good support after its release? Splash Damage has a large chunk of employees - around a hundred, maybe more - working full time on Gears. Collectively they have hundreds of years worth of experience working on the Gears MP. Seems like a waste to end such a relationship just because of it being a second party.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Probably multiplat though as in the bonus requirements section it talks about having experience with PS Network, Xbox Live and Valve Steamworks
Having experience with any online multiplayer environment is a plus for any multiplayer developer, as having experience with one can help transition you to another. That said who knows what it will release on.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
The forbes thread is funny.

-no one said only power matters, but some people in that thread already keeping telling us power doesn't matter at all
-have a positive article for MS? must be MS paying them to PR(even though there were many articles bashing MS due to how badly they done), but nah not because MS start offering something good(like XGP) again and preparing up next-gen with acquiring studios

Apr 6, 2018
Ninja Theory has a new Game Director, one of the designers on Hellblade and DmC is taking up a directorial role on presumably one of the new projects they kicked off after the acquisition was announced.

bfde601093643244.png
So this should be Bleeding edge or UPREZ? We know for sure that one of those is current gen/cross plattform because it started back in 2014
Typhoon seem to be working on a spiritual succesor.

The style, the humor, music and the term "pioneer" confirms that theory
At least 10-12 hours. I'm sick of these 5-6 hour long campaigns. Especially if they're going more/semi open worldish with the skiff.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were about 10-14 hours long so I'd say that's a pretty good length especially since a lot of people are invested in Gears story and campaign.
Depends on the pace and the variety. Gow2 is less than 10 hours and it's the fucking best campaign ever released for a shooter

Gears 5 campaign needs to be longer than 18 hours, if the semi-open world stuff is true.
it needs pack of carnages,not artificial lenght like the new god of war
Cancelled? Not sure what other news there would be for this game. We've already seen it in action by this point.
He just said that he now has access to the game which is in soft release.
I doubt it is canned. Prob going to launch soon. Here is some footage thats on YT. Game itself isnt downloadable yet.

I need it now
343 and Coalition need to get better at delivering a modern GAAS experience for their multiplayer that keeps a larger userbase engaged with the titles for years, not outsource the most important part of their respective games.
Well from the xlive perspective they did: it's the most played 2016's game

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The forbes thread is funny.

-no one said only power matters, but some people in that thread already keeping telling us power doesn't matter at all
-have a positive article for MS? must be MS paying them to PR(even though there were many articles bashing MS due to how badly they done), but nah not because MS start offering something good(like XGP) again and preparing up next-gen with acquiring studios

What's ironic that I remember a recent positive thread for another console manufacturer where people suggesting it was a PR were either warned or banned. In MS threads it's just par for the course. I also remember people getting warnings for low effort ports like "lol" or "lmao", and yet that thread is full of that as well. Mods probably just gave up on moderating MS threads bar some extremely egregious cases, so best just leave your comment on the subject and ignore the dozens/hundreds of shitposts you have to scroll through to find a couple actually meaningful (positive or negative) message.

Putfire

May 12, 2018
If Glen Schofield was to create a new horror franchise for Xbox, what would you want the major influences to be?

Event Horizon was the main influence for Dead Space, with RE 4 being the main gameplay influence.

For a new franchise and successor to Dead Space:

I think Schofield should look at The Thing as the main inspiration for the story, setting, monsters.

For the gameplay, Silent Hill, because no one makes games like SH anymore.

These are my ideas how about you guys?
I expect a psychological terror or something lighter like Alan Wake. I hope they avoid the jumpscare I hate to take fright in games.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The games look cool but with only 14 People i don't know if they are the right fit...

Game Pass needs all kinds of games to thrive. 5-6-7 years development triple (or quadruple) A projects, medium-sized 2-3 years double-A projects, ambitious indies by small teams, "quick" but interesting titles (something like OnRush was developed in a ridiculously short timeframe for example - of course the game flopped but it wasn't much due to the quality at all), etc. etc.. Of course, MS doesn't "need" to buy indies: there's ID@Xbox for publishing those games, and if they want them exclusive they can just offer some technical help and whatnot beyond what they normally do, see Cuphead.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
Hoping that extra year of development lets Coalition make Gears 5 a little bit longer than 4. Maybe 15-20% longer.
What's up with obsessing with the length of a game? I would rather have 10 h of very good paced and diverse Gameplay than 20 h with mediocre and patted out gameplay.

At least 10-12 hours. I'm sick of these 5-6 hour long campaigns.
Gears 4 wasn't 5-6 Hours like you are implying. It was 10 Hours. so i guess Gears 5 will also be a little bit longer if there are more open playspaces.

Gears 5 campaign needs to be longer than 18 hours, if the semi-open world stuff is true.
It dosn't Need to be "longer than 18 Hours" if it has semi-open world stuff.
Another game with semi-open world stuff is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - which is around 8 Hours Long. So a Gears 5 campain with 12 Hours could be more than enough.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
So IO are opening a new studio as did Playground pre joining Xbox.

I wonder if IO are expanding because they know an MS acquisition is in the cards?

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
At least 10-12 hours. I'm sick of these 5-6 hour long campaigns. Especially if they're going more/semi open worldish with the skiff.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were about 10-14 hours long so I'd say that's a pretty good length especially since a lot of people are invested in Gears story and campaign.
12-14h sounds about right.
What's up with obsessing with the length of a game? I would rather have 10 h of very good paced and diverse Gameplay than 20 h with mediocre and patted out gameplay.

Gears 4 wasn't 5-6 Hours like you are implying. It was 10 Hours. so i guess Gears 5 will also be a little bit longer if there are more open playspaces.

Another game with semi-open world stuff is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - which is around 8 Hours Long. So a Gears 5 campain with 12 Hours could be more than enough.
Wanting a slightly longer campaign = obsession? Ok

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I wonder if IO are expanding because they know an MS acquisition is in the cards?

Someone is funding them. They didn't get the money for a new studio from Hitman sales.

Swedish hub is a bit interesting. It's where Minecraft is at...right? Talent rich area.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone is funding them. They didn't get the money for a new studio from Hitman sales.

Swedish hub is a bit interesting. It's where Minecraft is at...right? Talent rich area.

Yeah, they aren't gonna expand based on Hitman 2's numbers alone, that'd be suicide. Money has to be coming from somewhere, and I can't think they are risking it all with major loans or something to do a Hitman 3 and an unproven new IP with 50-100% extra workforce overall.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I'm currently reading through past pages to get back caught up on things...

It's a term I really hate, but as the guy above said, computer RPG. It's become synonymous with isometric games usually found exclusively on PC, though recent ones have started to get ports to console. They should just be called RPGs, but that's another post for another topic.

I suspect inXile and Obsidian will continue to make them in some capacity.

Wouldn't it make more sense for us to label them "IRPG's" for Isometric Role Playing Games?

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I'd be surprised if Hitman 1 and 2 combined sales even passed 3m units

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wouldn't it make more sense for us to label them "IRPG's" for Isometric Role Playing Games?

Sense is not something you should look for in regards to genre names. "Immersive sim" as a way to describe games like System Shock is one of the worst offenders, but you also got roguelike/roguelite, or the very fact that RPG means just about anything from a shooter with stats to a hardcore pen and paper-like experience.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't read too much into this.

Playground opening a second studio was initially for a new IP that supposed to go multiplatform.

IO probably got funding coming in for a new project.

I think they'd be great with MS, but I'm starting to feel as though that ship has sailed.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Playground opening a second studio was initially for a new IP that supposed to go multiplatform.

I think they'd be great with MS, but I'm starting to feel as though that ship has sailed.

Still, it would be a great get. I'm certain a new IP would be a hit, man.

I'll see myself out.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018

There's no real evidence either way but I'm not ruling out Warner Bros funding them as well

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

But Uncharted TLL Is an expansion, besides, Gears 4 campaign is really short if you cut the horde levels inside the campaign (that thing was really silly)

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

Unless it's 100% happening they would expand because of that. You don't make a commitment like that because something is probably in the cards. You would wait till the deal is finalized.

Playground and ninja where expanding with or without Microsoft.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

They could be getting funding from one of the Chinese giants. Or maybe Sony jumps in to the spree as has been rumored. Outside of those 3 options, can't think of who else would invest. They are talented for sure but not great business risks right now. Especially starting a new studio. Not someone an Activision or EA goes after. Not someone I see general investors doubling down on.

The Sweden thing didn't make sense until I looked up devs in the area and saw old news stories that Microsoft talked about the great talent pool in the area when they bought Mojang a few years ago.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Btw since I didn't already say it, welcome back Havok and Rumble! Good to have your posts to balance out my crazy talk. Lol

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Isn't it actually a detriment if a company uses a proprietary engine, especially if the studio doesn't make a type of game that warrants having its own engine (so Forzatech is an exception)? Most Microsoft studios use UE4 and with Halo Infinite they will soon have a proprietary engine used by one of their biggest studios. Other studios using their own proprietary engine means that they need to spend more resources on maintenance and reduced employee mobility. If they wanted to have more game engine expertise in-house, it probably makes more sense to court talented engineers directly.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

That would be better than cRPG, at least. At this point, I prefer to just call them either RPG or Action-RPGs but that's a game of semantics that has been argued time and time again with no agreement, and I don't want this thread to get side-tracked on it.

I'd be surprised if Hitman 1 and 2 combined sales even passed 3m units

Surely by now they've passed 3m total. Hitman 1 has had a ton of deep discounts along the way. It would be a tragedy if one of the best games released this gen (my #3 GOTG right now) couldn't cross that threshold across three platforms by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.