• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think you guys are misunderstanding the Gear Tactics situation. PC gamers generally assume that whenever a game is announced for PC and console at the same time, the PC version will be dumbed down or suffer so that it's portable to consoles. Microsoft is hoping Gears Tactics helps them establish some credibility that they're serious about winning over PC gamers. Gears Tactics is meant to be a PC strategy game with no console compromises. It may be perfectly transferable to controller and may eventually get controller support but you will not see Microsoft talk about that because it would disrupt their PC messaging.

Winning over PC gamers will be huge for the Xbox brand. It'll lead to more funding and more variety in Game Pass. I can support this initiative because it's good for all of us selfish gamers if Microsoft expands.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Look, PC gaming just gives people more options. If MS wants to unite the platforms, they'll need to support the same input methods. Some games just can't be made to support a controller.

If MS ever puts AoE4 on a console, it won't have controller support. Don't think that's unreasonable.

About Gears Tactics; we don't know if it'll have controller support. We only know it will support mouse and keyboard. If Splash Damage designed this game for KB+M only, that's their decision. I do agree that a turn based strategy game should support controller. But in the end it's up to the developer.

What I do know, is that KB+M gives console players way more options in terms of which games they can play and how they can play those games.

I disagree with the bolded. 343, coalition, rare, and the rest are forced to release their games on pc. So gears tactics should be forced to be adapted to Xbox. There's no reason why a turn based strategy game can't be playable with a controller. It won't hinder the pc version at all. X-com panda many others prove this.

Age of empire I understand. If they can't make an acceptable version than I get it. If they are okay with loosing out on a million+ players than that would probably mean they couldn't get it right.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I think you guys are misunderstanding the Gear Tactics situation. PC gamers generally assume that whenever a game is announced for PC and console at the same time, the PC version will be dumbed down or suffer so that it's portable to consoles. Microsoft is hoping Gears Tactics helps them establish some credibility that they're serious about winning over PC gamers. Gears Tactics is meant to be a PC strategy game with no console compromises. It may be perfectly transferable to controller and may eventually get controller support but you will not see Microsoft talk about that because it would disrupt their PC messaging.

Winning over PC gamers will be huge for the Xbox brand. It'll lead to more funding and more variety in Game Pass. I can support this initiative because it's good for all of us selfish gamers if Microsoft expands.
I disagree with this. Every Xbox game now is announced as a Xbox/pc game. Tactics should have been the same. Pc shouldn't get special treatment. Tactics shouldn't have a problem being played on a controller.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the bolded. 343, coalition, rare, and the rest are forced to release their games on pc. So gears tactics should be forced to be adapted to Xbox. There's no reason why a turn based strategy game can't be playable with a controller. It won't hinder the pc version at all. X-com panda many others prove this.

Age of empire I understand. If they can't make an acceptable version than I get it. If they are okay with loosing out on a million+ players than that would probably mean they couldn't get it right.
As has been said before, it's easy to go from controller to m/kb.

It's might not be easy to go from m/kb to controller. It quite often would require quite significant design changes.

yksvrmn

Alt-account
Banned
Jul 28, 2018
I disagree with this. Every Xbox game now is announced as a Xbox/pc game. Tactics should have been the same. Pc shouldn't get special treatment. Tactics shouldn't have a problem being played on a controller.
If every Xbox One is and will be available on Windows 10 PC since Xbox Play Anywhere program was announced, the same situation should be work for every PC-based games from Microsoft Studios, like Age of Empires IV or Gears Tactics. Both ways, not only from A to B. Also, same for Xbox Game Pass launching.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

As a long time PC gamer, I'm used to options. So I'd hope Gears Tactics would also have controller support as an option, because I don't think it's implementation requires any compromises whatsoever (from the little I know of the game). PC games are played with mkb, gamepads, racing wheels, joysticks etc.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Remember as a platform owner sometimes self funded releases are done to prove out certain ecosystem scenarios. What if someone wants to release a game within the ecosystem that only uses mouse and keyboard. How should it be handled? This is a great case study to learn and find out otherwise are you now requiring anyone who wants to release within the ecosystem that they must support both because depending on genre that's a lot of work and that mandate isn't required for other ecosystems.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
No, it wouldn't. You can buy games via web browser. And MS should condition their users to do exactly that. Then Apple will get nothing.

Netflix does it on iOS for new subs.

the only way to play Fortnite on Android is by downloading the Epic launcher from their website.

Microsoft could easily set it up where the app is just a place to access the content and clicking a link will send you to the webstore to purchase things.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Dude, you have no idea the amount of hours I've played age of empires online competitively and the amount of times you need to use hotkeys to be competitive is insane, the apm is very high, that just would never work with a controller.

Haha, I've been playing online Warcraft 3 for years. So I completely understand. APM goes above 200.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
uKc06Qr.png

This has been going on for more than a month now.

(Summit has 53k viewers, so 10k is from other people)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just like XCloud will because if not that would require people to own a console or PC to buy the games they want to play on their phones/tablets
Netflix does it on iOS for new subs.

the only way to play Fortnite on Android is by downloading the Epic launcher from their website.

Microsoft could easily set it up where the app is just a place to access the content and clicking a link will send you to the webstore to purchase things.
You can already purchase games with the Xbox app on iOS and Android. There's the full store. And the PS App for that matter.

Worst case scenario, buy games to your account with the Xbox app just as we do now, then use the xCloud app to play them.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Remember as a platform owner sometimes self funded releases are done to prove out certain ecosystem scenarios. What if someone wants to release a game within the ecosystem that only uses mouse and keyboard. How should it be handled? This is a great case study to learn and find out otherwise are you now requiring anyone who wants to release within the ecosystem that they must support both because depending on genre that's a lot of work and that mandate isn't required for other ecosystems.

While this is interesting, couldn't they use a title with less 'backlash' for that like Age of Empires?

Bringing a turn based strategy game to Xbox without controller support would bring all kinds of negative emotions. While bringing an rts to consoles wouldn't.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
uKc06Qr.png

This has been going on for more than a month now.

(Summit has 53k viewers, so 10k is from other people)

I wonder how stream viewers compare to concurrent players. The other 4 games should have more concurrent players than viewers on twitch. If SOT does as well that's really good.

Anyway even though I'm not a big fan of the game I'm happy to see it lighting up the stream chart and I'm happy to see it climb the most played chart.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I wonder how stream viewers compare to concurrent players. The other 4 games should have more concurrent players than viewers on twitch. If SOT does as well that's really good.

Anyway even though I'm not a big fan of the game I'm happy to see it lighting up the stream chart and I'm happy to see it climb the most played chart.

I think the game being in the top 30 most played Xbox games shows a healthy playerbase. Nothing spectacular, but decent enough to warrant new content.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

It's fine to disagree. It's the way it is. Microsoft is trying to send messaging to PC gamers that they're serious about PC gaming. Tactics is being made with keyboard and mouse in mind first. It usually takes time to create the controller adaptions which is why you didn't see Xcom 2 day 1 on consoles. As an Xbox gamer, I'd rather receive the game as soon as possible with keyboard and mouse support rather than wait for them to figure out controller adaptions. Being forced to figure out controller and develop for controller at the same time is the exact thing that hinders or slows down development.

I'm not sure why Xbox gamers are getting so damned offended. Fact that Nadella and the Microsoft investors believe that they can reach all these other gamers is why they're buying up studios and expanding the ones they have. We're already benefitting in that regard.

Acting like console gamers are getting treated like 2nd class citizens because games might release with only keyboard and mouse support would be the same as gamers feeling like 2nd class citizens because some games are made primarily for VR.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I think the game being in the top 30 most played Xbox games shows a healthy playerbase. Nothing spectacular, but decent enough to warrant new content.
Ya of course. It's also good to see it slowly climb the chart. I believe a few months ago it was out of the top 50 in the US altogether. The content support along with the streamer support I believe is helping it a lot.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It's fine to disagree. It's the way it is. Microsoft is trying to send messaging to PC gamers that they're serious about PC gaming. Tactics is being made with keyboard and mouse in mind first. It usually takes time to create the controller adaptions which is why you didn't see Xcom 2 day 1 on consoles. As an Xbox gamer, I'd rather receive the game as soon as possible with keyboard and mouse support rather than wait for them to figure out controller adaptions. Being forced to figure out controller and develop for controller at the same time is the exact thing that hinders or slows down development.

I'm not sure why Xbox gamers are getting so damned offended. Fact that Nadella and the Microsoft investors believe that they can reach all these other gamers is why they're buying up studios and expanding the ones they have. We're already benefitting in that regard.

Acting like console gamers are getting treated like 2nd class citizens because games might release with only keyboard and mouse support would be the same as gamers feeling like 2nd class citizens because some games are made primarily for VR.

And I think it's great that Xbox players will probably be able to enjoy games that would've never come to consoles before. But we'll still have to see if that is going to happen.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
And I think it's great that Xbox players will probably be able to enjoy games that would've never come to consoles before. But we'll still have to see if that is going to happen.

Same here. It's an option. And I don't think Xbox gamers are appreciating the fact that console and PC getting blended is going to open up new possibilities for console going forward. Few years from now, most decent laptops will have 5G SIM cards in them. It's going to be a nice benefit that as a Game Pass subscriber who mostly plays on the couch with a controller, there will be the option to play a bunch of games on the go when I don't have a controller with me.

This is coming from someone who'll always play FPSs with a controller. It's my preferred way to game but I like options in a world where everything will become more accessible and convenient. If Microsoft doesn't succeed in winning the trust of PC gamers, us console gamers won't have as many options or get as much value. This is a situation where PC gamers and console gamers coming together will benefit all us gamers.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
How many third parties do u think there are that can have a successful subscription service? Not that many. EA (which already do), Ubisoft, and now maybe THQ. The rest don't make enough games to have exclusive subs. Platform holders will always have an advantage. Even with streaming from those pubs, there's not enough content. That's why MS is in a better position going forward.

They would for the same reason EA Access is on Xbox... They can make money off of those subs as well. If done on Xbox.

Ubisoft, Take 2, Bethesda, all make the same amount of games if not more then Xbox first party.

The major western publishers will likely launch thier own sub, but as with EA Access, I think MS will allow Xbox to be a vendor for a cut

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Ubisoft, Take 2, Bethesda, all make the same amount of games if not more then Xbox first party.

The major western publishers will likely launch thier own sub, but as with EA Access, I think MS will allow Xbox to be a vendor for a cut

Problem is they don't have enough content to support a 10$ a month service. EA has the most content and there service feels slim. But at least it's cheaper than gamepass. For any of them to be really successful they will have to offer content that is 3rd party. Or they will have to put all their games in day one, and even then 10$ a month is probably too much.
I don't think ea/Activision, take-two, or Ubisoft is the real competition to gamepass. It's going to be sony's Version of the service, amazon, google or Tencent.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Problem is they don't have enough content to support a 10$ a month service. EA has the most content and there service feels slim. But at least it's cheaper than gamepass. For any of them to be really successful they will have to offer content that is 3rd party. Or they will have to put all their games in day one, and even then 10$ a month is probably too much.
I don't think ea/Activision, take-two, or Ubisoft is the real competition to gamepass. It's going to be sony's Version of the service, amazon, google or Tencent.

I'm expecting Tencent or a Google/Amazon to acquire one of the big western publishers.

Bethesda Ubi and Take two launch a lot of games a year btw.

It's enough to sustain a service.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
If Schofield did get his own studio, would it be a big AAAA studio on the same level as Gallaghers studio? Or would be a level below like Playground/Coalition/Obsidian level?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting Tencent or a Google/Amazon to acquire one of the big western publishers.

Google is not acquiring anyone...they aren't in the business to make content. They aren't a content company.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EA's Premiere service is $15 a month and it's the only one other than Game Pass to offer new titles. I really don't have much desire to pay a monthly fee to play older games.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
No, it wouldn't. You can buy games via web browser. And MS should condition their users to do exactly that. Then Apple will get nothing.

For what it's worth, prime video on the Xbox works like this. You have to buy the movie in a browser or, I'd have to double check this one because I'm not sure, the mobile app if it's not already part of the services available movies.

It'd make sense for X-cloud to work the same, just give you access to games you already have access too, either in your library or in gamepass, and then if you want more you can buy them the way you'd buy any other game, either on an Xbox, through a web browser, or using the Xbox mobile app. No reason for X-cloud to have its own storefront when there's already an Xbox mobile app that has one.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
If Schofield did get his own studio, would it be a big AAAA studio on the same level as Gallaghers studio? Or would be a level below like Playground/Coalition/Obsidian level?
It would be interesting to see the internal (healthy) competence of MS studies. I think it depends on what he wants to create.

yksvrmn

Alt-account
Banned
Jul 28, 2018
I think it could like The Coalition.

Very good horror-style (sci-fi, thriller, classic) new franchise would be such a perfect fit for first-party line-up.

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I officially have no Xbox for the next few weeks. Sent it to MS for repairs. Fan was super loud when playing ay games.

Glad I was able to finish Red Dead.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Xcom already proved controllers are fine for turn based strategy games on console. Gears Tactics coming to Xbox but not offering support for controller would be downright bizarre. Shocked that this is even something that is being considered.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Take two doesn't launch a lot of games a year, it's nba, wwe and their big game every once in a while, ubisoft and ea launch a lot more games. (Unless you're account for private division games in the future? Even then it won't match up to ea and ubisoft).

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On top of that, Origin Premiere gives the Deluxe version of new games.

Yeah it's a pretty good deal but until they get NHL on the PC I will wait. I just pre-ordered Anthem and saved about $20 from CDKeys. I do have Game Pass on the PC which doesn't offer much but I got it for $30 on sale for 6 months.

yksvrmn

Alt-account
Banned
Jul 28, 2018
What if Microsoft would acquire… OtherSide Entertainment?
Have you considered this possibility before?

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I'm starting to become more and more confident Scofield leads his own studio for MS.

As in it's more likely to happen then any of the acquisitions said so far.

He is a former EA head of studios
Based on the West side of the US
Managed and directed 3 COD games
Launched a franchise with an iconic world and character with Dead Space
Is friends with the Xbox team.
Already has a strong vision on what he wants to do next

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
What if Microsoft would acquire… OtherSide Entertainment?
Have you considered this possibility before?
They've only released one major title and it was a commercial and critical flop and they don't have any quality veteran leadership that Microsoft seems to require. I'd be surprised if Microsoft was interested, especially with their recent RPG splurge.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
They've only released one major title and it was a commercial and critical flop and they don't have any quality veteran leadership that Microsoft seems to require. I'd be surprised if Microsoft was interested, especially with their recent RPG splurge.
Paul Neurath and Warren Spector, guys who worked on old-school cult classics like Thief, Deus Ex, Ultima, and System Shock?

By that metric they shouldn't have gotten inXile or Compulsion. Otherside certainly have talented veteran leadership.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Microsoft Studios Dream Team

HUB Microsoft Studios America:

- 343 Industries
- The Initiative
- Turn10
- Obsidian
- InXile
- InXile NOLA
- Undead Labs
- Schofield Studio?
- Bluepoint Games?
- Certain Affinity?
- Iron Galaxy?
- Turtle Rock?

HUB Microsoft Studios Canada:

- The Coalition
- Compulsion Games
- Relic?
- Typhoon Studios?
- Jade Studio?
- Skybox Labs?
- CyberConnect2?

HUB Microsoft Studios UK:

- Rare
- Playground Games Horizon
- Playground Games Fable
- Ninja Theory
- Senua's Studio
- Creative Assembly?

HUB Microsoft Studios France:

- Asobo Studio?
- Holoforge Studio?
- Dontnod?

HUB Microsoft Studios Nordic:

- Mojang
- Remedy?
- IO Interactive?
- Paradox Interactive?

HUB Microsoft Studios Eastern Europe ( 2 or 3 Studios ):

- 4A?
- The Farm 51?
- Bohemia Interactive?
- The Astronauts?
- People Can Fly?
- CI Games
- Techland?
- CD Projekt Red?

HUB Microsoft Studios Asia ( 2 or 3 Studios ):

- Platinum Games?
- From Software?
- CyberConnect2?
- Phantagram?
- ARC System Works?
- Mistwalker?
- Silicon Studio?
- Level 5?

I think this is a good way to organise Microsoft Studios.

I think we will see Microsoft Studios be part of a family of studios/publishers. Microsoft Studios is another organisation with its own studios and e.g EA becomes another organisation within Microsoft, seperate from Microsoft Studios, this is similar to Marvel and Pixar, each having their own studios.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Paul Neurath and Warren Spector, guys who worked on old-school cult classics like Thief, Deus Ex, Ultima, and System Shock?

By that metric they shouldn't have gotten inXile or Compulsion. Otherside certainly have talented veteran leadership.
They've also been out of the industry for almost a combined 25 years and have not in any way proven they still have any mastery for the craft. How about they release a game with a Metacritic score over 40 before Phil writes the check?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
They've also been out of the industry for almost a combined 25 years and have not in any way proven they still have any mastery for the craft. How about they release a game with a Metacritic score over 40 before Phil writes the check?
Not saying to buy them, just saying that they do have veteran talent in the company.

I mean, some people here want Microsoft to buy Mistwalker because of Sakaguchi, but what's the last major thing he's done?

Status
Not open for further replies.