• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are you sure about this? Based on my experience with UWP development and knowledge of the development resources available to develop UWP games on Xbox, I don't see much of a reason for this to be the case. Phantom Dust is actually a UWP app, not game. It didn't need the system resources that a game needs, the resources available for apps were enough so it can actually run alongside another game and you can swap between them without losing state.
Yes I'm absolutely sure.

Jan 4, 2018
When did it get added?
Not sure, recently, that's for sure as about 1-2 months ago just tried searching for it myself in one of those "shit, I still want to play that game" moments and there was nothing
Isn't it the "anniversary" of the cancellation of Scalebound in a couple of weeks? It kickstarted the worst year for Xbox ever (imo, although we did get Phantom Dust which is amazing) for many people. Wouldn't it be crazy if they resurrected the game and said they'd show it when it's ready?
I know how crazy this sounds but then again, adding as many studios as they have would have sounded insane this time a year ago.
If, and it's a really big if, it ever happens, I hope they say nothing 'till a month before release (if they being it back a long marketing campaign won't be needed as internet will explode the moment is announced hahaha)

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I changed up your post to help show you it's pretty ridiculous however you slice it.
Ideally we would be able to play Xbox games on Playstation, Playstation games on Switch and Switch games on Xbox, but that's not how the industry works right now.

I'm all for a standardized video game format btw. Hopefully it will happpen within the next ten years.
tenor.gif

Yeah no
The only Rare game that I ever thought would make sense to port to the Switch is Rare Replay.
There's really no point. And it makes less sense now than ever. With things like Gamepass, Win10 and Xcloud aiming to lower the barrier of entry into the Xbox ecosystem, we aren't going to see MS give played an out to avoid the Xbox ecosystem.

And here I thought Resetera wasn't like neogaf.. **SIGH**

Here is a list of games Microsoft has already published on a Nintendo platform.

Zoo Tycoon DS , Age of Empires the age of Kings, MechAssault Phantom War, Zoom Tycoon 2, Viva Pinata pocket paradise, Age of Empires mythologies, Blue dragon plus, and Blue dragon awakened Shadows. Let's not forget that Microsoft want to do cross play with Nintendo and that they have already expressed interest on bringing Game Pass to " other platforms". Thought this was a good place to have an interesting discussion, should have known better.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Zoo Tycoon DS , Age of Empires the age of Kings, MechAssault Phantom War, Zoom Tycoon 2, Viva Pinata pocket paradise, Age of Empires mythologies, Blue dragon plus, and Blue dragon awakened Shadows. Let's not forget that Microsoft want to do cross play with Nintendo and that they have already expressed interest on bringing Game Pass to " other platforms". Thought this was a good place to have an interesting discussion, should have known better.

I think MS should publish Rare Replay on the Switch and get Banjo-Kazooie in Smash.

.. and then reveal a new Banjo Kazooie game for their own platform.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just get xCloud on the Switch and it's problem solved.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If they want to do something with the Scalebound IP they have to make it from scratch. Most of what I've seen from the game didn't impress me that much, but who doesn't want a game where you can ride a fucking dragon? Hell yeah.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

What was wrong about my post?

To answer your new post:
A) Those games were spinoffs released on a platform that wasn't a direct competitor to Microsoft's platforms. And a bunch of them were published by other publishers. While the Switch is a hybrid platform, it's more of a direct competitor than the DS was.

Also: Did Rare ever release one of its self-owned AAA games for a Nintendo platform after the Xbox acquisition? There's your real answer.

B) Microsoft wants cross-play, but that doesn't mean that they're referring to their own games. They're talking about games like Fortnite, Rocket League, etc.

C) Game Pass on other platforms could mean a lot of things. I'm going to guess that Microsoft wants to spread its ecosystem to other hardware platforms, and I'm not so sure if Nintendo (or Sony) is willing to allow that.

(Btw: If you want interesting discussions, trying to insult the forum you're a member of is not the way to go. Most of the posts you quoted were real answers as to why it's not likely we'll see Rare games on Switch. I don't understand why you're dunking on them)

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

Honesty I wouldn't want that because I feel Switch weak hardware and Nintendo's poor online system would harm the game.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what neogaf has to do with anything...

1) Rare is a AAA studio. They were purchased specifically to bolster MS' first party catalog.

2) cross play with Nintendo, doesn't mean putting their first party games on Nintendo platforms. It means opening xbox live API for use on any platform. They've already done this, FOR ALL PLATFORMS, not just Nintendo.

I think MS will continue to publish games outside of xbox/win10 where it makes sense. I don't think it'll make sense to do this with Rare IP (unless maybe we're talking Rare Replay).

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I think even Rare Replay on Switch is a stretch. I don't think the Switch is powerful enough to emulate 360 games and they probably wouldn't bother porting them over to the Switch.

A Nintendofied version of Rare Replay with DKC1-3, DKR, DK64, KI SNES instead of Viva Pinata 1+2, Banjo N&B, PDZ, Kameo and GbttG could work though.

Jul 17, 2018
Here is what ppl really missed...

Just cool art by an associate Lead Concept Artist at Playground Games

If thats the art they going for in the new Fable then as a Fable fan I AM LOVING IT!

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
It sure as hell is. Honestly I don't even care if it's Fable or not that PG is working on. Open world RPG is all I need to hear and I can't wait to see it.

Also can't wait to see what Obsidian can do with a larger budget. ToW looks great but it definitely seems the map won't be the size of Fallout NV for example. Hoping they can bring us a fully open world with their first Scarlett game. And InXile, seriously no idea what to expect.

next gen will be interesting for sure.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think even Rare Replay on Switch is a stretch. I don't think the Switch is powerful enough to emulate 360 games and they probably wouldn't bother porting them over to the Switch.

A Nintendofied version of Rare Replay with DKC1-3, DKR, DK64, KI SNES instead of Viva Pinata 1+2, Banjo N&B, PDZ, Kameo and GbttG could work though.
I didn't go into detail but I meant a Nintendofied version of Rare Replay that eliminated the 360 games and added the games you mentioned.

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

If thats the art they going for in the new Fable then as a Fable fan I AM LOVING IT!

It's very reminiscent of the gypsy camp at the start of Fable 2, but without the cartoony art style, interesting to see.

Apr 6, 2018

It's very reminiscent of the gypsy camp at the start of Fable 2, but without the cartoony art style, interesting to see.
Klobrille took a berserk fan art from the art station profile of a playground developer.
It's basically a scene from a famous comic rendered with a professional level of quality.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
After so much effort! I was already at the acceptance phase! Hahaha

It's still online if anyone caring for our collective mental health feels like trying to find anything that confirms it as false it'll be welcome.
Idk if I'll make it to 2020 otherwise 😭
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01H0Y4K7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cjtdCbRCPVYXK
https://www.amazon.fr/Microsoft-Pha...8&qid=1544388879&sr=1-1&keywords=phantom+dust

https://www.amazon.fr/Microsoft-Fab...&qid=1544388921&sr=1-1&keywords=fable+legends

Jul 17, 2018
Agreed it definitely does remind me of the gypsy camp but more "expanded." And if thats suppose to be the Bowerstone castle at a distance then I LOVE how the map is looking as it looks OPEN(compared to the previous Fable games) and HUGE.

Jan 4, 2018
Ok thanks, seems it's just that they didn't put it down (not sure why it wasn't appearing some time ago but can be for whatever reason)
Anyway even if the one from Phantom Dust is for the remake/remaster they launched we know Fable Legends is not coming (please PG, be making a real Fable, not Legends) so we can all put our hearts at ease

Even though that made me realise my mourning is not done, I'll still need more time to get over it even after MH:W scratched a little that itch

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I'm willing to bet that Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 are going to have a big showing at Microsofts E3, especially Outer Worlds, probably on par with Gears 5

No, Obsidian owns the IP. TT owns the publishing rights of the first game and probably have some kind of first right of refusal for a sequel.

What does this mean?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm willing to bet that Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 are going to have a big showing at Microsofts E3, especially Outer Worlds, probably on par with Gears 5

Funnily enough the PS4 logo was shown first in the trailer. Don't know if Microsoft has marketing rights for Outer Worlds..

(And even if they didn't.. couldn't they just show it? :P)

What does this mean?

If MS/Obsidian decide to make a sequel, Take Two will have the first right to be the publisher. So they can decide if they want to publish the game. Don't know if such a deal is in place.

If MS/Obsidian decide to make a game that looks like Outer Worlds while such a deal is in place, MS could get sued by Take Two for evading their first right of refusal clause.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
If MS/Obsidian decide to make a sequel, Take Two will have the first right to be the publisher. So they can decide if they want to publish the game.

This is still unclear to me. Does this mean that T2 can publish, but because Obsidian is a first-party that the game could only be done one Xbox/PC? Would this just be Titanfall (an Xbox exclusive published by another company)? If that's the case, who would fund the game?

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all of Microsoft's dormant IPs, what would you all like to see make a return next gen?

For me I would love to see:
  • Lost Odyssey - Especially if they do more ATYoD with the same novelist.
  • Banjo Kazooie - I just love 3D platformers.
  • Viva Pinata - The first two games were fantastic and I think they would do great on Gamepass and with PC players.
  • Shadowrun - There might be people working on this already if MS still have it licenced out. But it's a great world for RPG stories.
  • Rise of Nations - The first game was incredible and I would love more games like this on Gamepass.
Fable would be on the list too but it seems like that's already happening.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
So I just started playing through BK: Nuts and Bolts (or Fuzzy Bear Game according to my 3 year old) and I must admit it's pretty damn great! I played it for like 30 minutes back in the day, and have up because it "wasnt Banjo"

I feel like it must have been impossible to market. It was probably too complex for a lot of young kids, but the art and character would have appealed directly to them. It probably could have faired better if it wasn't wrapped in a Banjo-Kazooie theme.

Now I'm wishing there could be some sort of sequel or spiritual successor to this game.

Nuts and Bolts is the example of a game that came out at the wrong time. I can see it being successful in a post-Minecraft gaming world, possibly alongside the promise of a proper Banjo-Threeie. Final Fantasy XIII is a similair case. Many people enjoy its linearity much more now than a generation ago.

Jul 17, 2018
Out of all of Microsoft's dormant IPs, what would you all like to see make a return next gen?

• Viva Pinata - The first two games were fantastic and I think they would do great on Gamepass and with PC players.
  • Shadowrun - There might be people working on this already if MS still have it licenced out. But it's a great world for RPG stories.
  • Rise of Nations - The first game was incredible and I would love more games like this on Gamepass.
Perfect Dark, Mech Assault or Banjo.

Oct 26, 2018

Blue dragon

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I really want Halo Wars 3 on Scarlet. I could imagine with the extra horse power they can have bigger armies, larger maps etc. The game just needs to have a lot more MP maps than HW2. Halo Wars (the original) had a great number of MAPS, while HW2 had a lot less, but they also had a ton more leaders and more units/variety of units.

What ever happened to the Strategy Division that Dan Ayoub use to run? Does it still exist?

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Funnily enough the PS4 logo was shown first in the trailer. Don't know if Microsoft has marketing rights for Outer Worlds..

(And even if they didn't.. couldn't they just show it? :P)

I mean...why would Take Two not want that? Its more exposure especially since Microsoft generally has the most viewed conference at E3...same with Microsoft pumping more money into the game, as long as its not on Take Two's dime then they shouldn't care. The better the game does the better it is for Take Two, its pretty much free money and marketing for them

If MS/Obsidian decide to make a sequel, Take Two will have the first right to be the publisher. So they can decide if they want to publish the game. Don't know if such a deal is in place.

If MS/Obsidian decide to make a game that looks like Outer Worlds while such a deal is in place, MS could get sued by Take Two for evading their first right of refusal clause.

So basically Microsoft needs to just write them a check to get them to STFU? Makes sense, otherwise Obsidian would just never make a sequel and Take Two would get nothing.

Sounds like Microsoft has all the bargaining chips here and that Take Two has no leverage

This is still unclear to me. Does this mean that T2 can publish, but because Obsidian is a first-party that the game could only be done one Xbox/PC? Would this just be Titanfall (an Xbox exclusive published by another company)? If that's the case, who would fund the game?

I think the difference is Microsoft never owned Titanfall, ReSpawn did (Now EA does since they bought ReSpawn)

Speaking of that, a bit off topic but did EA over pay for ReSpawn? I mean 300 million seems a lot even though Titanfall 2 was awesome.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I mean...why would Take Two not want that? Its more exposure especially since Microsoft generally has the most viewed conference at E3...same with Microsoft pumping more money into the game, as long as its not on Take Two's dime then they shouldn't care. The better the game does the better it is for Take Two, its pretty much free money and marketing for them

So basically Microsoft needs to just write them a check to get them to STFU? Makes sense, otherwise Obsidian would just never make a sequel and Take Two would get nothing.

Sounds like Microsoft has all the bargaining chips here and that Take Two has no leverage

I think the difference is Microsoft never owned Titanfall, ReSpawn did (Now EA does since they bought ReSpawn)

Speaking of that, a bit off topic but did EA over pay for ReSpawn? I mean 300 million seems a lot even though Titanfall 2 was awesome.
Wish they'd sell Respawn to Microsoft I went through that titanfall 2 campaign last night boy it was amazing I couldn't stop playing it until it was over. I think they gave them 100in cash and some stock and to get all the 300 they have to hit certain goals

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Wasn't it more? I could've sworn they'd paid 400-450 mil for ReSpawn, either way yeah they overpaid.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver

Shadowrun (InXile team #2?)
Mech Assault/Warrior/Battletech (Would rather pick-up-and-play more than hardcore sim; use CD3 destruction tech)
Ninja Blade/Otogi (I know MS doesn't own the Otogi IP, but I want that game current gen using cloud destruction)
Kung Fu Chaos (Smash competitor & KI alternative. Should keep the arena-brawler aspect like the original and Power Stone)
Jet Force Gemini (Always curious why this never went anywhere)
High Heat Baseball (MLBPA licencing be damned. I need sim baseball)
Fuzion Frenzy (Give me mini-games with heavy Mixer integration/spectator influences)
Blast Corps (Use that CD3 destruction tech for something else)
Crimson Skies (Obligatory and too obvious)
Starlancer/Freelancer (Outer Worlds might scratch this itch, but maybe a way for Obsidian to sidestep T2/PD with a successor)
Conker (The original one, none of these VR or Spark versions)
PGR (We have a circuit racer, and an open-world arcade racer - give us back our city-street "style-racer")

castaction

Oct 28, 2017

viva pinata i was playing that game everyday

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My view on this has changed in the past few days, but here's my take if I had to give a Top 5.

1. Banjo-Kazooie - MGS is in dire need of family friendly game experiences for all ages and they need to do something about it sooner or later. I believe Banjo is the most important property to bring back now because it can serve the foundation for many more to come. A great Banjo game is the gateway to other analogues to Nintendo offerings such as party games, racing games, and etc. This IP needs to come back in a big bad way and soon.
  2. Perfect Dark, Kameo and ReCore - this one is a bit of cheating and the last isn't old enough to be considered dormant, but it's an important game because right now the active platform mascots is a real sausage party. MGS has come a ways since their hyper masculine, dudebro image from the 360 eras, but there remains a problem of lack of female representation in leading roles. I think Joanna Dark, Kameo and Joule Adams are the very good characters that fill different voids; in Joanna you have the tough as nails spy, in Kameo you have a fearsome warrior princess, and in Joule you have a scrappy survivor. Together these protagonists can serve genres in strategy/action-thrillers, action adventures, and platformer/shooters. All 3 have to come back or with other worthy female characters in their capacity in leading ladies.
  3. Viva Pinata - it's happiness, it's bliss, it's simply joy distilled in digital form. Viva Pinata is one of the most soothing and enjoyable games I have ever had the privilege of playing and I think MGS is sorely lacking for its presence across as many devices as possible and in as many incarnations as possible. I truly believe this IP has it all to be a very successful, global powerhouse if done justice.
  4. Phantom Dust- this game is lower on my list than I initially thought it would be, but it is still a very important IP I think needs to come back in a big bad way. The original title was a ingenious, before its time game that offered a unique experience as a real time strategy action game. The potential for this IP cannot be understated. Not only was the story brilliant, gameplay and the multiplayer experience is still phenomenal and ripe for a return in a big, big, big way. I think Microsoft have gold on their hands with this IP if they fund a completely new remake that updates the game to jive more with modern sensibilities, faster gameplay and expansive focus on player customisation and competitive modes in which players must battle it out with credits, cards, items and even decks the online. I'd Grounding Inc to co develop this title with Platinum.
  5. Freelancer - I struggled to pick the last one, it came down to Lost Odyssey, Project Enwor, and Battletech, but it comes down to Freelancer. The game was ahead of its time. Way ahead. It was an absolutely visionary take on space travel, adventure and combat. I believe this is a game that could and should come back in big bad way and I pray that it does because it'd like a Mass Effect crossover with Crimson Skies. I want it. I want it to come back, written by Joe Staten and developed by IO Interactive or Certain Affinity. Freelancer 2 looked amazing so I'd hope this what it would resemble in a reboot.

Last edited:

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I prefer the arcadey style Mech Assault brought over the simulation TBH, plus the first 2 were sooo good, but who can make it?

Underrated N64 game, loved it

Joanna Dark, Kameo and Joule Adams
Yup, those 4 along with Kait can give MS a good staple of female characters.

I've said this before but I would love for 343i to take over ReCore as a second series, make a full AAA adventure game on the Slip Space engine

Def Rare's best work since MS scooped them up, that and Kameo. I know Rare doesn't want to revist old IP's but someone else should take the reigns with Rare managing the games.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

It's debatable how 'dormant' it is considering that the last game in the franchise released in 2015, but I really would love a new big budget Shadowrun RPG. I'd ideally like something made by Harebrained Schemes, since they have the original creator, and have demonstrated that they can do great things with the universe... But a AAA Shadowrun from them is probably off the table, for a whole host of reasons. So, of the studios Microsoft has, I'd have to lean towards Obsidian--I think they could make something incredible.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My view on this has changed in the past few days, but here's my take if I had to give a Top 5.

1. Banjo-Kazooie - MGS is in dire need of family friendly game experiences for all ages and they need to do something about it sooner or later. I believe Banjo is the most important property to bring back now because it can serve the foundation for many more to come. A great Banjo game is the gateway to other analogues to Nintendo offerings such as party games, racing games, and etc. This IP needs to come back in a big bad way and soon.

MGS released Super Lucky's Tale last year and DLC for it earlier this year.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
To anyone who played it, how was IO Hitman 2018? Was it a full 60$ game? Why was the last Hitman episode based?

How do you think IO would handle a Perfect Dark game?

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The BattleTech timeline

JumpshipHero__1_.0.jpg

The world of BattleTech is about more than just big, stompy robots. It's an epic tale that's been told across the more than 30 years since the game was originally published. It begins with humanity's colonization of the stars and spans hundreds of years of horrific, almost feudal war.

It is also incredibly complicated, thanks in part to the seemingly endless string of game developers and authors that have poked and prodded at it since its birth in 1984. But through it all there is a common thread — a singular timeline that every MechWarrior and BattleTech game shares.

2018 is set to be a high water mark for the historic franchise. With two new BattleTech video games and two new boxed sets of the tabletop game on the way, all with bona fide connections to the franchise's original creators, there has never been a better time to be a fan of BattleTech.

Polygon talked to the loremasters at Piranha games — Matt Newman, Alex Iglesias and Mark Nicholson — part of the team behind the upcoming first-person action game Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries, to learn more about the key events in the BattleTech timeline. Special thanks also to Catalyst Game Labs and the community at Sarna.net, who have been keeping track of the BattleTech lore online for a long, long time.

Whether you're new to the franchise or a returning vet, consider this your crash course on the BattleTech universe.

Recent gameplay

Some choice screenshots

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

All of them. With gamepass Ms should bring all them back for a second chance

Status
Not open for further replies.