• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
But they would also be doing nothing with the publishing rights if they cannot find an agreement with Microsoft. Also Obsidian has done Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity and The Outer Worlds in not too long a period and it looks like they may have something else in development.

I do not doubt that this is a universe that Obsidian may want to continue building on, but if an agreement cannot be found, they are well equipped to try something else.

It is pretty much, get something out of it now, or get nothing out of it ever, lol.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If anyone has an Xbox live 2 day code I have a buddy who could use it. I don't know if this is the right thread for that so if not I apologize.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
They clarify their reasonings here.

http://www.ashen-game.com/news/ashen-launch

Ashen, I mean.

This seems so odd.

Let's begin with the Windows 10 availability in the Microsoft Store. The Xbox One launch of Ashen could not have been a better success story, in our opinion, and Microsoft has been unbelievably supportive throughout the development of Ashen. We are currently working with our partners at Microsoft and the ID@Xbox team on bringing Ashen to the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 as soon as possible. We wholeheartedly agree that this would have been better available day one. We are a small studio that just shipped a very big game, but have been actively working to get it there. Rest assured, it is coming.

What? What does "as soon as possible" even mean? It's UWP no? Microsoft has been with them for years now, and they announced it was Play Anywhere ages ago. How is it suddenly "as soon as possible" with zero indication of the amount of time that takes?

It just seems...fishy idk. What are they needing to work on in order to make that happen. They clearly already have a PC port. The game is already UWP. It was announced as PA ages ago. What gives?

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
This seems so odd.

What? What does "as soon as possible" even mean? It's UWP no? Microsoft has been with them for years now, and they announced it was Play Anywhere ages ago. How is it suddenly "as soon as possible" with zero indication of the amount of time that takes?

It just seems...fishy idk. What are they needing to work on in order to make that happen. They clearly already have a PC port. The game is already UWP. It was announced as PA ages ago. What gives?
"As soon aps possible" means as soon as epic will allow within the moneyhat restrictions. Speculation: probably before steam (who Epic mostly want to hurt) but not too soon...Hopefully by February.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I'm surprised that the ID@Xbox team haven't cooperated more with Global Publishing to seek out exclusive indie games and partnerships.

You never know who will be the next "Todd Howard", "Notch" or "Miyamoto" in terms of industry-changing talent, and sometimes they're out in the open, just begging for their chance to prove themselves. It's why I hate when people say Undead Labs or Compulsion are "wastes", they could build the next big thing. You never know.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It couldn't be too similar to TOW (depending on the specifics of the agreement), or that's a recipe for a lawsuit.

How does that work with something like The Outer Worlds which everyman and his dog is calling the next proper Fallout? If the media are calling this title the game Bethesda should be making, doesn't that highly infringe on ownership already compared to a potential game Obsidian might make if they can't strike a deal with Private Division?

Personally I'd say if there is a next game in this series then it's 95% going to be published by Xbox. It all depends on whats in the contract and the terms and rights that have been agreed, they must factor eventualities like this into them though, right?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This seems so odd.

To clarify, just because a game is on Xbox and is play anywhere doesn't mean they have a UWP version read to go. Play anywhere just gives you the ability to play a game on PC and Xbox with one purchase. It doesn't imply anything about how the game was actually built.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify, just because a game is on Xbox and is play anywhere doesn't mean they have a UWP version read to go. Play anywhere just gives you the ability to play a game on PC and Xbox with one purchase. It doesn't imply anything about how the game was actually built.

Yes, but aren't all Xbox games supposed to be UWP now? Perhaps I misunderstood. I was under the impression that originally games were unique to Xbox One because at the time it and UWP hadn't been totally finalized, but around the time of Play Anywhere, Xbox games began being UWP.

I'm curious about one thing. Is crossplay between a UWP and non UWP game possible? Such as if, purely hypothetically, MCC came to PC. Could it be UWP and still cooperate with the non UWP Xbox One version? Just if this is a technical possibility or if UWP is completely incompatible with other types. Not at all asking for any kind of hinting. Purely from a technical curiosity here.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
How does that work with something like The Outer Worlds which everyman and his dog is calling the next proper Fallout? If the media are calling this title the game Bethesda should be making, doesn't that highly infringe on ownership already compared to a potential game Obsidian might make if they can't strike a deal with Private Division?

Personally I'd say if there is a next game in this series then it's 95% going to be published by Xbox. It all depends on whats in the contract and the terms and rights that have been agreed, they must factor eventualities like this into them though, right?

I'm no expert, but It would make sense to have buyout clauses in the agreements Private Division set in place, no? Perhaps our experts can chime in on this.
Whatever the case I'm confident any subsequent titles will get the rights sorted for MS by then.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes, but aren't all Xbox games supposed to be UWP now? Perhaps I misunderstood. I was under the impression that originally games were unique to Xbox One because at the time it and UWP hadn't been totally finalized, but around the time of Play Anywhere, Xbox games began being UWP.

I'm curious about one thing. Is crossplay between a UWP and non UWP game possible? Such as if, purely hypothetically, MCC came to PC. Could it be UWP and still cooperate with the non UWP Xbox One version? Just if this is a technical possibility or if UWP is completely incompatible with other types. Not at all asking for any kind of hinting. Purely from a technical curiosity here.
Xbox games are 99% not UWP. There's fallout shelter, phantom dust, Minecraft, and very few others.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm no expert, but It would make sense to have buyout clauses in the agreements Private Division set in place, no? Perhaps our experts can chime in on this.
Whatever the case I'm confident any subsequent titles will get the rights sorted for MS by then.

I started a new job about three months ago for a broadcaster working in there business affairs team. All I do all day is deal with contracted shows, trademark licence agreements and development agreements. In all of our contracts they are made up of three things: the commissioning specification, the general terms and the special terms. You're talking about two hundred odd pages or so in total and it takes in just about every eventuality that might occur. Fun fact, about three weeks ago I was working on the trade Mark licence agreement for Peaky Blinders and an independent developer.

No idea if it's roughly the same terms and agreements in gaming though, we use terms like all parties will endeavour to reach a mutual agreement through open dialogue.

I just think if there is a next Outer Worlds game then it will be published by Xbox, as the last thing the Private Division who are all about fostering good relationships with top talent and trying to make themselves an enticing publisher to top developers is to be seen to be strong arming said partners. Why would you want to work with them if that's how they behaved? We're getting ahead if ourselves though, they might not even want to make a sequel lol.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Game Pass is quite literally the best thing for me as a gamer this generation. It has truly opened my mind up to completely different games and genres than I would have ever imagined playing. I mean I fully intend to keep working my way through the masterpiece that is Red Dead Redemption 2 on my Xbox One X, but I now want to finish Strange Brigade (fun little game with a cool vibe from what I have played so far) and Ashen that I started last night (what a very cool art style and game world in this one).

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Studio head of Warhorse, the Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs:

I wouldn't read much into this, if anything at all.

Seems like dude was busy and caught up on some rumours.

Don't get me wrong, RAD is near the top of my list that I think Microsoft should absolutely prioritise because I think MS can really help that studio elevate its game, but I wouldn't expect it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Bit unfortunate that Ashen is not out on the Microsoft Store yet, but oh well, I'll wait patiently. :) Have few more games to wrap up now during the holidays in the mean time. :D

Nov 8, 2017
I feel Ms should evolve or just build upon the havok engine to make it more dynamic, let it be like a real contender to take unreal engines place

Havok is a middleware suite not really an "engine" in the same sense as Unreal. Microsoft already has multiple in house engines from 343i and Turn 10/Playground. Unreal 4 for most of their teams makes sense however since its already a very good, flexible, easy, widely supported engine with a whole industry of people experienced in it's use ready for hire. I know it's not sexy to use popular third party engines but it makes a lot of business sense.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Havok is a middleware suite not really an "engine" in the same sense as Unreal. Microsoft already has multiple in house engines from 343i and Turn 10/Playground. Unreal 4 for most of their teams makes sense however since its already a very good, flexible, easy, widely supported engine with a whole industry of people experienced in it's use ready for hire. I know it's not sexy to use popular third party engines but it makes a lot of business sense.
This. Forzatech is legacy (and does some stuff even Unreal can't keep up with), and apparently 343 is on some next-level stuff with Slipstream, but having the rest of the studios just use Unreal or what have you makes a lot more sense then embarking on some huge technical endeavor to develop a brand new genre-neutral engin a la Unreal (or, to use a more likely point of comparison, Frostbite, in that it looks pretty and works well for one thing and ends up being a handicap for everyone else) doesn't make sense because Unreal already exists.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I think that was the plan, but Ms is behind schedule. Even play anywhere games that are uwp on Pc are xdk on xbone.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

See uwp more like a container/sandbox containing your game. If you abstract away file loading in your engine, creating threads, network calls etc. The container containing your game can be easily replaced could be done in matter of weeks or even days.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Not to question his creditability but, I don't think he has any inside knowledge other than rumors on the internet like most. Also I believe that one of the mods shutdown the idea MS buying Ready at Dawn.

Yeah i think it was Shinobi who implied it wasn't RAD?, bit of a bummer it's not them but if nothing else at least it's interesting to see what other devs think of what MS is doing.

With regards to Studios Jez said him and Rand might be doing their podcast tonight so hopefully that'll shed some light on the rumors.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

This is a non issue. The setting of TOW is very different than Fallout. It doesn't use the SPECIAL system. All other similarities are typical RPG staples that many games use. The only real similarities in the setting are the sci fi elements and the slanted Americana which can also be found in games like Bioshock.

It doesn't infringe on anything. Just like Fallout and Wasteland didn't infringe on Mad Max, or Bioshock didn't infringe on System Shock, or Dishonored didn't infringe on Thief.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
This is a non issue. The setting of TOW is very different than Fallout. It doesn't use the SPECIAL system. All other similarities are typical RPG staples that many games use. The only real similarities in the setting are the sci fi elements and the slanted Americana which can also be found in games like Bioshock.

It doesn't infringe on anything. Just like Fallout and Wasteland didn't infringe on Mad Max, or Bioshock didn't infringe on System Shock, or Dishonored didn't infringe on Thief.

I think that's his point.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah i think it was Shinobi who implied it wasn't RAD?, bit of a bummer it's not them but if nothing else at least it's interesting to see what other devs think of what MS is doing.

With regards to Studios Jez said him and Rand might be doing their podcast tonight so hopefully that'll shed some light on the rumors.
Personally hope Shinobi is wrong but he probably isn't. I saw people suggest that Housemarque might be it. According to their website they are working on an unannounced AAA multiplatform title I think they would be an interesting Dev for MS.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
One developer that Ms should definitely have bought is Epic. They would have the most popular engine to push their services, like azure, cloud compute, havok instead of physx perhaps even having a free tier that instead of royalties demand only for those services to be used.

They would have access to the Gears IP sooner so gears 4 could have launched earlier on the console cycle being the big game to draw 360 users to xbone, not to mention perhaps they could have brought some sense for Ms making a stronger console.

Not to mention owning Fortnite right now it would be an amazing way to push mixer features

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Personally hope Shinobi is wrong but he probably isn't. I saw people suggest that Housemarque might be it. According to their website they are working on an unannounced AAA multiplatform title I think they would be an interesting Dev for MS.

Wasn't the buzz with Housemarque that they were working with Sonys Xdev on a new game? Plus they're based in Helsinki Finland which doesn't fit with what they're doing with the other devs and building these hubs, unless of course they're buying other Finnish Studios (the only two I can think of is Remedy and frictional games and Remedy by the sounds of it is never gonna happen).

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
One developer that Ms should definitely have bought is Epic. They would have the most popular engine to push their services, like azure, cloud compute, havok instead of physx perhaps even having a free tier that instead of royalties demand only for those services to be used.

They would have access to the Gears IP sooner so gears 4 could have launched earlier on the console cycle being the big game to draw 360 users to xbone, not to mention perhaps they could have brought some sense for Ms making a stronger console.

Not to mention owning Fortnite right now it would be an amazing way to push mixer features
thats all very hindsight though, the direction ms are going in now only started to happen relatively recently they did not have access to the same funds years ago, epic selling gears also means they wanted to move on from it as creators

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
thats all very hindsight though, the direction ms are going in now only started to happen relatively recently they did not have access to the same funds years ago, epic selling gears also means they wanted to move on from it as creators
I meant getting the Gears ip but still giving it to Coalition.

But I dunno, I think even back then having unreal to push their cloud services would make sense. The only hindsight would be Fortnite but I think they should have purchased them even without it.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
There's only two beloved Xbox IP we could've played in the last 2 years: either Sunset Overdrive or Killer Instinct.

Or... PHANTOM DUST???

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucking dumb. Why doesn't he just spit it out if he knows something. He's not under NDA or anything. This is purely to string along folks to gain followers or whatever.

Why doesn't he just post here about it? Oh yeah, he would need to get verified for that. Dude's full of shit.

Because he doesn't want to burn his sources.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This is so fucking dumb. Why doesn't he just spit it out if he knows something. He's not under NDA or anything. This is purely to string along folks to gain followers or whatever.

Why doesn't he just post here about it? Oh yeah, he would need to get verified for that. Dude's full of shit.

Tell us how you really feel 😬

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I accepted this forum and its administration doesn't want my info here, so I don't post these things here anymore. Not my decision, but I accept it of course. No problem with that. What you do with the rest is up to you. Thanks for the kind words though!

Status
Not open for further replies.