• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The way he worded this situation is ... Suspicious, to say the least. However, I already would be really happy with MechWarrior 5 coming to the console. I don't think this has to do with an acquisition, but rather really focused talks on their games.

For sure, anything that helps me justify that Xbox HOTAS is good stuff regardless.

Looking back at my notes: 2018 would actually fall into the previous renewal timeframe (license extension was finalized in November 2013 when it was to expire midway through 2015) since 2020 is the date things come to a close this time around. Though you have to figure, after all that talk about building up their PC catalogue, the topic has come up at some point for MS to take a more active presence with this IP rather than signing it away for another 5 years.

The world is still waiting on that AAA MechWarrior.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I feel 90% sure Klo is talking about Ready at Dawn.

They make the most sense.

Quantic Dream and Supermassive have been successful and presumably are happy with their arrangement with Sony.

Meanwhile, Ready at Dawn made spinoff games for years, got one shot at an original IP with The Order, blew it, and they've been benched ever since.

They're also located in Irvine, California - right by Obsidian.

And Phil sure loves the fact he's got 3 studios in southern California, so why not add another?

Microsoft acquiring Ready at Dawn makes a ton of sense and it'd be great to have a graphical powerhouse studio next to Obsidian. Just imagine the potential behind Obsidian helping out RAD with writing and worldbuilding and RAD helping Obsidian with their graphical tech?

RAD would be a great fit with MGS.

Makes sense

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
RAD and QD did more than "a bit" with Sony. Supermassive suits the description but they have exclusive being developed for Sony.
Bluepoint suits the description (they did only remasters/remakes for Sony this generation) so my money are on them.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'm highly confident it's RAD. They're Irvine based which is where Obsidian is located and is about 10 minutes away from InXile. Phil talked about how studios that are very close to each other help each other a lot and build one another up. Ready At Dawn has expertise in areas that both Obsidian and InXile could use and every single one of them could build each other up and help one another.

They're also between 100 - 150 which would be a decent size. They have 2 studios and two projects going on, one is VR (which that team could go for Hololens) and the other is a new IP that's third-person.

hmmm

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So I couldn't post for a while, so I was on reddit and this is what I posted there:

Could be quantic dream, ready at dawn, supermassive or bluepoint games, it's definitely not insomniac since he says mid sized studio and klobrille himself denied it was them.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i doubt its supermassive. they have the deal with bandi and are apparently making sony exclusive. It would make sense for ms to buy them right now when it would be years before they could even start to work on an ms game

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
BluePoint Quote

"One area that we've not explored very deeply is, 'What does our design prowess looks like? What is our ability to build something original and to expand it, rather than just upgrading something?' and so we look at those things and we are constantly trying to enhance and strengthen the studio to get to a point where, yeah, doing original development or whatever comes our way, we're fully capable of doing it."

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/639693/Bluepoint+is+working+on+their+biggest+remake+yet/

Klobrille talked about a Texas studio months ago, and they have worked with Sony. If Microsoft offers them creative freedom, and allows them to work on their own IP, they may be interested. Also it gives me hope to a Banjo remake xD

Last edited:

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting what ppl think what a bit means. Seemingly like 5 games means still a bit xD.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Bluepoint's 'design prowess' is an interesting question. That studio was started by some of the senior staff from Metroid Prime. Literally one of the most finely crafted games ever. But that's also true of Armature, the team behind ReCore and the portable Batman game, and... well... yeah...

They said their current project will give them some opportunity to do some design work, so we'll see soon enough potentially.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm highly confident it's RAD. They're Irvine based which is where Obsidian is located and is about 10 minutes away from InXile. Phil talked about how studios that are very close to each other help each other a lot and build one another up. Ready At Dawn has expertise in areas that both Obsidian and InXile could use and every single one of them could build each other up and help one another.

They're also between 100 - 150 which would be a decent size. They have 2 studios and two projects going on, one is VR (which that team could go for Hololens) and the other is a new IP that's third-person.

Good points. Yeah, I also think it's RAD.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting what ppl think what a bit means. Seemingly like 5 games means still a bit xD.
People are just speculating on all possibilities as of the moment. If a poll went up which was the most likely i think the winner would probably be Ready at Dawn, HouseMarque(They were my first guess), or Quantic Dream. Its also very possible that nobody has guessed what studio he is talking about, and we may never know as nothing may happen.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I feel 90% sure Klo is talking about Ready at Dawn.

They make the most sense.

Quantic Dream and Supermassive have been successful and presumably are happy with their arrangement with Sony.

Meanwhile, Ready at Dawn made spinoff games for years, got one shot at an original IP with The Order, blew it, and they've been benched ever since.

They're also located in Irvine, California - right by Obsidian.

And Phil sure loves the fact he's got 3 studios in southern California, so why not add another?

Microsoft acquiring Ready at Dawn makes a ton of sense and it'd be great to have a graphical powerhouse studio next to Obsidian. Just imagine the potential behind Obsidian helping out RAD with writing and worldbuilding and RAD helping Obsidian with their graphical tech?

RAD would be a great fit with MGS.
Listen to that 10%.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Interesting.

i72b82H.gif

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this.

The studio Klobrille was talking about isn't necessarily the same Shinobi would know about.

Unless Shinobi knows for a fact that RAD are working on a new game for Sony, in which case, yeah, that would make it unlikely they're in talks with Microsoft.

It's possible Microsoft has made moves towards several "free agents" as it were associated with Sony.

Oct 26, 2018
I'm predicting the next few studios will be in Texas with studios in close proximity to each other to share tech, so maybe like armature, turtle rock, and perhaps bluepoint

Oct 26, 2018
Bluepoint's 'design prowess' is an interesting question. That studio was started by some of the senior staff from Metroid Prime. Literally one of the most finely crafted games ever. But that's also true of Armature, the team behind ReCore and the portable Batman game, and... well... yeah...

They said their current project will give them some opportunity to do some design work, so we'll see soon enough potentially.
Well, problem with recore was that it was rushed, if given more development time, recore would've been rated higher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.