• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
So this has been one of the most frustrating aspects of the Xbox One line of consoles since launch. The most you've ever been able to record on Xbox One has been the last 5 minutes at 720p. With the One X that got bumped to 2 minutes at 1080p and a paltry 30 seconds at 4K. If you connected external storage, it has been possible to record up to an hour at any resolution, but you would have to start the recording yourself. Compare this to the PS4, which has always been able to record up to the last 15 minutes of footage. Not exactly storage efficient but good enough to ensure that you definitely didn't miss anything.

Now, with the launch of the Series X|S, things have somehow gotten worse? Currently, the longest a clip can be is 3 minutes at 720p. If you want 1080p, you get just a minute. My assumption as to why this might be the case is that the same basic amount of system resources is being devoted to storing footage but with the increase of framerate to 60fps, perhaps that could explain the halved recording times. But you can still record 30 second 4K clips. You can still do up to an hour of whatever resolution you choose, but again those have to be started by the users, as well as requiring a separate device to clip and edit.

This is of course all the more frustrating give than the PS5 can now record up to an hour of previous footage at 60fps. Now, I don't personally need all that. But I want to at least be able to record clips as long as a Call of Duty match. I sincerely hope this is an area where Microsoft works to improve.

(As proof, I took pictures of the capture settings page on my One X and new Series X.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That's definitely disappointing. Is there a way to directly capture longer footage to be edited later?* I feel like the best use for the Xbox capture is to instantly grab a 30 second clip for hype or for investigation. Sometimes I'll get killed suspiciously in Warzone, clip it, text it to my buddies, and we can decide a minute later if we're going to report the opposing player en masse based on the footage. So it's good for instant clip creation, but it kind of sucks for long-form clip capturing. It also doesn't capture voices either like PlayStation does.

*By this, I mean as an alternative to the Xbox Button -> X approach of capturing a clip.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Agreed. One of the first things I checked. Was hoping for an hour of 4K 60 HDR recording which should've be possible from a technology standpoint. Also on the topic of HDR video recordings. PS5 will support WebM which you can upload directly to YouTube with HDR intact, which will lead to a big increase of shared HDR gameplay footage out there. Series X still only supports HDR in an mp4 container which is ignored by YouTube when you upload it there. Really hope they work on this aspect.

Last edited:

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
Is this true, if it is true, it is a huge situation, at least for me. Watching my own experiences in HDR will be delightful enjoyable.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
3 minutes!? That sucks. The one thing I use video recording for is multiplayer matches, which are obviously longer than 3 minutes. Hopefully this gets addressed.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
3 minutes!? That sucks. The one thing I use video recording for is multiplayer matches, which are obviously longer than 3 minutes. Hopefully this gets addressed.
You can select before if you wanna record. That goes up to a hour i believe.
This length is about what just happened and wanna record it.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It should always record the last hour like PS4
Given that the primary storage is NAND, no it really shouldn't. These times sound like they are exclusively using a RAM cache to do the temporary rollback recording. Long form recording, even if temporary, requires storage and thus you should only be doing that explicitly manually or you'd just be wasting NAND cycles on something a user isn't even saving most of the time.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
If you want longer video clips then you're going to have to use external storage I'm afraid.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this less of an issue, considering you can record to attached storage formatted for NTFS?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Just for clips their format is fine for me. If I want to record longer, I just use Twitch.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
It's deffo an issue. Always has been. Especially as you need to use external storage, which in turn uses a USB port up unnecessarily.
I'm not arguing against it being an issue. Just stating that it's not a huge show-stopping issue. For those that want to record much longer, they have the option.

OP
OP
VoltySquirrel

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this less of an issue, considering you can record to attached storage formatted for NTFS?
There's two issues here: I need to knowingly start a recording on my end anytime I think something interesting might happen. Then, if I do get something good, I have to get up, walk my external hard drive over to my computer, open Premiere, clip it out, and then post it. The only way to do this entirely on your console in the span of like a minute is to record a clip directly to the console.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How does this kind of recording actually work? Would you lose storage space if it gets increased?

True though that the clip length feels a bit halfassed

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who plays a shit load of Rainbow Six: Siege on PS4 and will be switching back to Xbox, this has been a bit of a (minor) concern for me.

It's so easy to play Siege and just save the clip when the round ends if the round was worth saving or something cool happened. I can't imagine having to start every round by first starting a new recording in the HOPES of having a good round/something cool happening, then of course deleting that save when ultimately it wasn't worth saving. Seems like extra work for nothing. Not to mention being able to trim the clip on PS4, whereas apparently you can only edit the short clips on Xbox and you need to edit the longer clips on PC? Silly.

Hopefully they update this because to be honest, it's pretty fucking stupid the way they're doing it now. Especially being a more online-focused console, you'd think they would want you to save full multiplayer rounds which tend to be more than 3 minutes.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
Given that the primary storage is NAND, no it really shouldn't. These times sound like they are exclusively using a RAM cache to do the temporary rollback recording. Long form recording, even if temporary, requires storage and thus you should only be doing that explicitly manually or you'd just be wasting NAND cycles on something a user isn't even saving most of the time.
[/ALINTI]

Is this recording event not optionally kept in the ram?
I suppose it is recorded physically when the user wants this.
I know wrong?

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the technicals tbh I just know it's quite handy on PS4

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
There's two issues here: I need to knowingly start a recording on my end anytime I think something interesting might happen. Then, if I do get something good, I have to get up, walk my external hard drive over to my computer, open Premiere, clip it out, and then post it. The only way to do this entirely on your console in the span of like a minute is to record a clip directly to the console.
So, when you change your "Capture Location" on the Xbox to an external drive it stops automatically recording? Or when you record a clip it doesn't save directly to the newly designated capture location (external drive)?

I've not used the function, as Izzard said, since it uses a USB port and I've been too lazy too hook up a hub to my Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
It is a joke. To the point I don't bother using it, I was under the impression that the "improvement" in times that came along with the One X was what it always was aside from the 4k recording.

The PS4 always recording the last 15 minutes on the fly was the feature of the new generation of machines that was the most game changing and useful to me. I still have matches of Battlefield 4 and OG Destiny on my PS4 from around launch that still bring a smile to my face. Those matches would just be lost to time on an Xbox.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
So you think this feature will lead to SSD problems on the PS5?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So you think this feature will lead to SSD problems on the PS5?
It depends, it'll be curious to see how the PS5 handles this in the first place. Do we know if/how that's changed over the PS4? To be clear, it's only a problem if it's doing the continues recording for an hour (frankly I'm surprised to hear PS4 apparently does that, 1 hour is a lot for rollback).

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
As far as I know, the PS5 is constantly recording the last sixty minutes of gameplay at 1080/60. As for the mechanism behind the recording, I have no idea.
That's quite curious. At a low enough bitrate that could perhaps be about ~5GB an hour. They couldn't fit that in RAM given everything else, maybe they are constantly writing it to the SSD, unless they have a dedicated chip for it? It's not a lot, I personally wouldn't want to do that either way but I'd imagine they ran the numbers on it. Certainly strange though.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
How much space does a hour of 4K take up? If you really need that much may be better to just get a capture card. I think the majority just want to capture the last 30 seconds of a good play.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite curious. At a low enough bitrate that could perhaps be about ~5GB an hour. They couldn't fit that in RAM given everything else, maybe they are constantly writing it to the SSD, unless they have a dedicated chip for it? It's not a lot, I personally wouldn't want to do that either way but I'd imagine they ran the numbers on it. Certainly strange though.
Lets say 1GB of RAM is dedicated for the video recording and another 4GB is written to the SSD. Lets also say average use case for PS5 will be 4 hours per day of gameplay. That's 16GB written to the TLC NAND per day on average. Looking at this https://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand 10GiB is about 8.59GB.

That would still mean ~12 years life span which is just the conservative estimate. (if you're only counting the game recording). I would expect game recording to take up the overwhelming amount of write cycles on the SSD since game installs and shuffling them in and out wouldn't happen in that amount of magnitude over the course of its life.

It will definitely be an issue for the longevity of the console for collectors and such if the OS can't be run from the M.2 expansion slot but I think for most users it shouldn't be an issue.

This is also me just guessing how much is actually written to the SSD of course.

OP
OP
VoltySquirrel

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
an hour seems excessive...
3min seems too low. 5-10 min seems good for me
10 minutes, even at just 720p, is what I would be more than happy with. That's enough for pretty much anything you could want. Enough for an entire CoD match, the final 20 of a game of Fortnite, and a reasonable tour of a decent sized Minecraft base.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
an hour seems excessive...
3min seems too low. 5-10 min seems good for me

Problem with that is some races take longer, some matches take longer, fights, gunfights, missions, etc. I'd say 30 minutes should be a minimum, but from experience this gen, an hour has been just about perfect (on PS4).

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
10-15 minutes seems about right to me. But honestly even now on Xbox I like never go back and do anything with the clips I make. I think I only ever trimmed one or two on PS4. I'm such a packrat I guess.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
This has been my biggest complaint on X1 and now its even worse plus the fact voice can't be recorded makes it a worthless feature for me.
This the main reason I went PS5 first this gen.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I actually love this feature on PS4, and you do need at least 15 minutes usually. I was able to save some of the most memorable raid fights in FFXIV, as well as just crazy things that have happened including game endings. I still like watching the recordings to this day. I don't think quality is really that necessary, as usually you're just trying to save for memories. An hour actually sounds great because there were a few times when 15 mins wasn't enough.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
15 minutes was great on PS4 since most FFXIV savage raids have a hard enrage between 11 and 14 minutes. Before I switched to play XIV on PC I saved up all of our first clears via the share function and I still treasure them a lot. I think 60 minutes might be a bit overblown but 30 min should be a good ballpark where you shouldn't miss anything in any game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's not been an issue for me since if I wanted to capture something long, I'd just hook up an external formatted (as previously brought up). I guess I don't record my gameplay that much though. The only time I've done it was when NGII first went BC and I wanted to capture 4K/60 of the "staircase fight" area. Oh, and I took some brief captures of me driving around in Forza Horizon 3 just 'cuz.

The DVR captures being short though? That's been fine for me since I'm already trimming those down, anyways.

It would be nice if you could use an external as some kind of "rolling temp DVR storage" for longer DVR clips though, since people obviously want it. So I guess they should do that, lol.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Can i get a link for this
Meant WebM actually
www.polygon.com

All your burning PlayStation 5 questions, answered

The only PS5 FAQ you’ll ever need
The PS5 system settings allow you to choose the resolution and file type for gameplay clips. You can record at 1080p in either MP4, which is the most ubiquitous video format today, or WebM, a less common format developed by Google. The PS5 is also capable of recording 4K gameplay at up to 60 frames per second. But if you want to capture 4K footage, you can do it only in WebM, which Google-owned YouTube supports but Twitter does not. (To clarify, we haven't yet been able to test the PS5's social media sharing functionality due to Sony's embargo restrictions, so we'll have to see how it works later.)

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Could you get around this by streaming to Twitch in 4k?

Then if you need a local copy, you could leech it off of twitch onto a PC?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The PS4 can record up to an hour, or do you mean a specific resolution? I think it's 720p, I never checked but I have it set to 1 hour.