• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Facebook is their only other option if they're not willing to go it alone.

Youtube hands power over to Google.
Twitch hands power over to Amazon.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
How can Microsoft talk about inclusivity and create a better enviroment for eveyone and then make an agreement with a company that gives a platform to people who directly opposes that idea?, jesus.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Weren't a bunch of people banned on here yesterday in that Milan Lee thread for "platform warring"? Do their bans get lifted since the platform wasn't planning to exist anyway?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they gave up on mixer pretty quick all things considered. Surprising.

you guys might not like it, but they'll probably be a lot more successful with facebook gaming.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Ninja and Shroud only got a quarter of their deal, they made out like bandits. I'm sure they didn't get the full amount, but the signing bonus plus whatever they made for year 1? Cake

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
She's not losing her job, so it seems less crucial to notify them in advance. I've had products I've worked on cancelled suddenly and then get transitioned to other projects. It's normal business.
And they did inform in advance. Just not much in advance. To say they were not informed is a total lie. They literally say they found out just before you. Makes it sound like one of those merciless firings where people find out they've no longer got a job because the door is locked. Just a case of I guess of informing staff then informing media very quickly as the media would get a hold anyway so might as well tell them yourself in your own words what is happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised to see it shut down. I almost never hear anything about it. Doesn't seem to gain any relevance no matter how much money they throw into it.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Ninja, Shroud and Gothalion getting the cake and eating it too...wow!

painey

Oct 27, 2017
OmFRUE0.png

fucked up to blindside them like this

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Jeez Microsoft, you were on a roll with all the transparency and pro-consumer announcements. Facebook is the epitome of trash social media but when you're chasing dollars, they are the largest platform. If there's any sort of forced Facebook integration on the Series X, I will immediately cancel my GPU subscription and use Sony exclusively....forever. I don't like to use the word hate but I hate Facebook.

I seriously doubt there will be any type of forced integration with Facebook. I reckon this deal was just to save face (not that it did) and MS will try to forget Mixer ever happened and leave Facebook to pour money into it. Basically the mixer app on Xbox will be the Facebook gaming app.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Mixer kinda was just getting legs with the deals made and the amount of creators that were making legitimate communities there, very interesting that in just a month it will be shut down. Twitch and Youtube win again eh?

It really wasn't though. Mixer was a textbook failure:

oXYZxVm.jpg

And now there are 3.

Microsoft realized they were keeping a braindead patient on life support and wisely chose to end it's suffering. As much as it sucks that streaming is controlled by an even smaller handful of big tech companies I don't think the demand for a ton of gaming focused streaming services exists.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
They couldn't just directly partner with Twitch?
I think this is about the future cloud gaming battle, where Amazon, Google and Microsoft are looking to provide their own cloud gaming services where people can click through and instantly play the games they're watching others stream. Amazon is apparently working on their own cloud gaming service to integrate with Twitch, Google is integrating Stadia with YouTube, so Xcloud is going with the only other real player, Facebook.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
whew... those top dogs who moved over in the last year.. got PAID. And now they get to get their community back on Twitch if they choose.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I've said it before , as big as streaming seems to be I don't think people care enough for there to be multiple platforms . With Amazon integration, game integration with drops and things like borderlands echo cast I can't see people going anywhere else to watch streams

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing those mixer streamers crying touches the heart. Hopefully they find the same success or friendships on twitch, youtube or facebook gaming.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
lol, the hatred for Facebook is at an all time high. No one that I know wants to use it, and I can't see any 12-35 year old who wants to stream video games deciding to do it on Facebook.

This is beyond foolish.
Honestly Facebook should just create a company with a new name that would include all their stuff separately. Like how Google created Alphabet. The name Facebook just makes people hate it, myself included.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So if streamers had to choose other than Facebook gaming, is Twitch the better option for more continuous dough?? Or youtube gaming?? Just wondering. Also hope MS gives us other options for streaming on Xbox Series X. I was planning on gwtting one at launch, but if they don't clear up this on Xbox launch then might hold off getting the console

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing people posting that graph with the FB video numbers but like... is the data accurate at all? FB straight up has lied and come up with completely fake metrics in the past.

Oct 17, 2018
Wow who would have thunk just buying big streamers from other sites isn't enough since 99% of people aren't willing to transfer streaming sites just to watch 1 or 2 streamers.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
People complain about Facebook, but where else was MS supposed to turn to? Mixer turned out to be a dud, and Amazon (Twitch) and Google (Youtube) are direct competitors to MS in the cloud and streaming departments.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
So I wonder if they'll allow streamers to leave. Like can Twitch bring back Shroud?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The people going "why Facebook" have got to be kidding.

Amazon wouldn't have worked with them with Twitch to promote xCloud since they've got their own game streaming plans.

YouTube and YouTube gaming is a no-go because, Stadia.

Facebook's the only logical option.

This. Only other option would've been partnering with Valve on this. They have streaming built into Steam.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
It really wasn't though. Mixer was a textbook failure:

Microsoft realized they were keeping a braindead patient on life support and wisely chose to end it's suffering. As much as it sucks that streaming is controlled by an even smaller handful of big tech companies I don't think the demand for a ton of gaming focused streaming services exists.
Excuse me for paying attention to the smoke and mirrors. I was aware they were being outclassed (even if I didn't know it was to this magnitude of a landslide) but it was always interesting to me the communities that were fostered on that platform. I thought it was a sign of potential. Mistakenly so, but the latter point of my post I do stand by, employees put a lot of work into Mixer.