• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Microsoft had this long-term plan to snag Ninja and have him play Halo Infinite on Mixer but Mixer couldn't even live long enough to see it.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
RG0BS1U.gif

Honestly, I just don't see any other live-streaming service dedicated to games going up against Twitch. YT is the closest and honestly I don't even think Amazon sees it as competition. It transitioning to Facebook is an even bigger joke.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Mixer have an entire tab to itself on the Xbox UI for streams? Is Facebook going to have an entire tab on the Xbox UI? Lol.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Only really used Mixer for Xbox event streams for the freebies.

Not a fan of Facebook and I'll never use Xcloud there, but I guess it makes business sense with getting Xcloud to a wider audience.
Yeah. But their Mixpots kept going downhill. I setup a script to alert me when new ones went up and I think they've only done TWO in the last year, and they were both hot garbage F2P stuff.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
What other option Microsoft had?

Twitch owned by Amazon, and YouTube owned by Google. Both are direct competition from Xbox, if not now in the posible future.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Facebook got more content creators than i thought, there might be an audience if they got metrics, it still won't convince me to get back on it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, how exactly would this work for Microsoft?

Are they going to sell their mixer division? Or are they somehow combining forces with Facebook and split the profits?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Millions of dollars burned to the ground, jesus christ

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft faced a decision between ditching Mixer, selling it off, or even investing more money in without a guarantee it would hit the scale it needs to compete. "It wasn't as much about return on sell, it was about finding a partnership that was the best things for the community and streamers," explains Spencer."We think this is it, and it gives us a great place to launch more xCloud content and give gamers the ability to play from there."
What does this mean? Play directly on Facebook??

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
LOOOOOOL Ninja and Shroud making out like bandits right now getting that MS money and right back to Twitch.

For real man, what a bunch of lucky ass mofos.. lol

but basically twitch is king and no one can touch it. I'm surprised Microsoft is ditching Mixer right before Series X, though. I thought maybe they would give it one last push with cool Series X integration but deep down it was always going to struggle and be a failure, I guess. Going with Facebook is weird, though.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I guess all that cash paid to the guy from Fortnite (Ninja?) didn't exactly pan out the way they thought it would.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
So MS spent a fortune acquiring Mixer and famous streamers only to shut it down a few years later? that's one huge money pit.
You have to spend money to make money. This type of thing happens all the time in big business, the chances of Mixer dethroning twitch were low from the start. The question was always how much money MS was willing to invest to try. They simply hit that threshold.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Facebook. Mixer was decent but they were far too late to the game with Twitch being so big.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I only use Mixer for playing collaborative games with friends, but I will *not* be using Facebook Gaming for anything. I'm completely against that and don't want there to be any integration between my Xbox and Facebook -- which I personally boycott.

Really sours me on a lot, I don't even like hearing xCloud and Facebook being in the same sentence or parapraph... even if it's just like, they're sharing technology stacks or something. Nope.

From the Verge article it just sounds like there were no bigger buyers for Mixer than Facebook. I'd imagine this locks Microsoft into supporting Facebook Gaming as the sole option on Xbox, then right? Yuck. I hope to god they don't keep the console-level OS integation that mixer has now. I don't mind it at all with Mixer, but if there's a dedicated tab on my OS with Facebook Gaming on it, even if it's the exact same thing as Mixer but the logo is swapped out, I'll be really turned off from that.

Last edited:

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Never been a Facebooker and really can't stand anything about it, but I am also old so it really won't matter to me. Just hope they don't flood my Xbox UI with Facebook ads.

Bummed about Mixer...it was a great streaming service that just couldn't crack the dominance of Twitch...it happens.

As for not telling employees before you close...that happens every day in big business. It sucks for a company that I like to do it, but in the end, with the Facebook deal in place, there probably wasn't a really good way to do it.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Ouch, but was expected Mixers was failing compared to others and that racist shit put a nail on the coffing.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't Mixer have an entire tab to itself on the Xbox UI for streams? Is Facebook going to have an entire tab on the Xbox UI? Lol.

Yeah, this is my biggest fear right now. Really don't want a bunch of Facebook hooks into the Xbox UI and OS. Just want that shit where I never have to look at it.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
All their exclusive streamers are free to go back to Twitch. I can't see any of them moving to Facebook.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
ITT Topic people learn Microsoft is still a company.
Also ITT people actually think Phil shut it down because of the complaints. Stop putting these people on pedestals, Phil is not "one of you", when will you guys learn

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm surprised they shutdown Mixer TBH. Inwas expecting MS to pump millions like they did in the Xbox Division and slowly get more marketshare. But partnering up with Facebook Gaming is abit unorthodox. So now we're left with 3 major streaming companies

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Oh shit.
PLEASE don't tell me this means FB integration is going to be standard/mandatory on XSX?!

I do not use FB I got rid of it over a year ago and WILL NOT use it no matter what do I sure hope it isn't required or I'm going to have an issue regarding XSX.

I didn't even know FB had significant streaming. Shocked that Mixer is done and more shocked they went with evil overlords FB ugh

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Unless their contracts were iron clad, I doubt they got full value for what they signed for. And they also lost a whole year of full attention 1 million people streams being focused on them.

I'd imagine they made a decent chunk of change though, would not be surprised if it was a lot more than what they normally would have gotten if they stayed on Twitch for that amount of time. They had to do something to get them to move.