• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I crossed the million lifetime points threshold this week:

52218358315_7e83d78cb6_o.png

Feels good! I can't believe I've gotten roughly $1,100 in free money to spend towards Xbox through this program. It's such an incredible steal.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, well, can't say that's something I wanted to hear...
If you don't mind, may I ask you what's happened exactly, what the support has done (or hasn't done) and what's happened to your funds/MS account?
Thank you in advance.
I tried to preorder the XSX the day it was available for preorder back in 2020. Threw an error at me saying I didn't have sufficient funds when I clearly did. I redeemed points to gift cards and bought some gift cards to cover the total cost including tax. Anyway, I initially thought that this was because there was a rush to get the console and so it was out of stock. But I kept encountering the problem whenever I try to place an order when in stock. I have chatted with multiple support, received calls, etc. Nothing has helped so far. It's exactly the same issue as you said. For whatever reason, the system thinks you have bought a Series X from the store even if it's not successful and so it doesn't let the order go through when you try again any other time.

As for how I have kept my credit from expiring? A poster here helped. Essentially when your funds are less than a month from expiring, preorder something with it, say a game, and cancel the preorder. It will extend the expiry date by one month. I have been doing that to keep my funds from expiring. Hopefully, they can find a solution to this.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
In Edge if you open a new/blank tab you'll see a bunch of categories.
My Feed | Gaming | Sports, etc...
If you click on gaming you should have a daily 10 or 50 point activity (just a single click).

It's a nice and easy way to boost points earned per day.

Nice spot. Easy 50points here just for clicking the icon. UK on Windows 10.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
In Edge if you open a new/blank tab you'll see a bunch of categories.
My Feed | Gaming | Sports, etc...
If you click on gaming you should have a daily 10 or 50 point activity (just a single click).

It's a nice and easy way to boost points earned per day.

Nice spot. Easy 50points here just for clicking the icon. UK on Windows 10.

That's interesting. Can someone take a screenshot where you're finding that? Gaming doesn't appear on my menu unless it's to add it as an interest, but that didn't change what shows at first. Maybe it's not in all regions or languages or something.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
The bug I got basically happens because the store registers the attempt to buy a Series X as successful even if - for some reason - the purchase isn't actually completed, and the store blocks your account from buying "another" SX for 30 days. It's unknown why the purchase can't be completed, since the store doesn't specify the reason.
Apparently this bug was fixed, twice (which implies that it wasn't fixed at all...) and when I tried to buy the console again, for the third time, with the support doing the actual attempt, a new error appeared saying "insufficient funds"... Which wasn't true at all, since I had 506€ in my MS account, 375€ of which are Rewards funds.

I know, in fact the original expiry date has passed twice already, and the new one is set for the 29th of July... :/
I don't know if the preorder trick works, never heard of it before. I know of this guy who tried to buy the Halo limited ed. SX with Rewards funds and when his purchase got cancelled for no reason, he had to press the support to get the R. funds back.
Anyway, if the expiry date won't be changed again, apparently my funds will be available for one year even if I can't see them in my account, and when I want to spend them I have to contact the support. Not sure if true, but it doesn't sound very convenient.

Were you successful in purchasing your Xbox? I just ran into that same bullshit issue where I can't buy an Xbox because customer support said the error they're seeing is a 'limit on premium item'. Initially, I fiddled around with my payment methods to see if I can do a split (to get that sweet credit card warranty) but couldn't so I changed the payment method back to my Microsoft balance which can cover the entire purchase. But when I checked out, the confirmation page and email said order went through with Paypal as my payment which was clearly wrong. I cancelled the order successfully but am not able to order another one. Customer support said to wait 24 hours to try again but no dice so far.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Got enough points for a $25 gift card but there's nothing worth buying....maybe I need another controller, lol.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Been about 2 weeks now for me in the UK with my iOS Xbox only having 3 options....pouring one out for my Play with Friends daily 100 points.

I've completely fallen off chasing points the last month or two but just checking now and the play with friends thing is gone yeh. There is still 4 options though - there is a 100 point to play fortnite via cloud gaming. Weird that's not on yours (and it does work the same way that play with friends did points wise so it actually gives like 250 and is daily). So actually a bit better / an improvement really if it stays long term (this is on android btw not iOS though)

Last edited:

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
I tried to preorder the XSX the day it was available for preorder back in 2020. Threw an error at me saying I didn't have sufficient funds when I clearly did. I redeemed points to gift cards and bought some gift cards to cover the total cost including tax. Anyway, I initially thought that this was because there was a rush to get the console and so it was out of stock. But I kept encountering the problem whenever I try to place an order when in stock. I have chatted with multiple support, received calls, etc. Nothing has helped so far. It's exactly the same issue as you said. For whatever reason, the system thinks you have bought a Series X from the store even if it's not successful and so it doesn't let the order go through when you try again any other time.

As for how I have kept my credit from expiring? A poster here helped. Essentially when your funds are less than a month from expiring, preorder something with it, say a game, and cancel the preorder. It will extend the expiry date by one month. I have been doing that to keep my funds from expiring. Hopefully, they can find a solution to this.
Well damn, that sucks...
So, you've been preordering and cancelling your orders without interruption since October 2020, without any issues...? I'm afraid that doing this trick may raise questions and get my account perma-banned/blocked. But, well, if it's the only way to keep my funds, so be it.
It's ridiculous that they haven't managed to fix this issue in two years. And if they can't fix it, the could try another path, like, I don't know, transferring the funds to a new account although it's not generally possible.
To think that I bought gift cards because I read that two payment options at checkout could cause problems...
Thanks for replying.

Were you successful in purchasing your Xbox? I just ran into that same bullshit issue where I can't buy an Xbox because customer support said the error they're seeing is a 'limit on premium item'. Initially, I fiddled around with my payment methods to see if I can do a split (to get that sweet credit card warranty) but couldn't so I changed the payment method back to my Microsoft balance which can cover the entire purchase. But when I checked out, the confirmation page and email said order went through with Paypal as my payment which was clearly wrong. I cancelled the order successfully but am not able to order another one. Customer support said to wait 24 hours to try again but no dice so far.
I'm not sure I've understood. Correct me if I'm wrong... Sooo, you couldn't buy the SX with you account's funds, but managed to buy the console with your CC and then cancelled the order and couldn't buy the SX again when you tried to pay with your MS account balance. Is it correct? If so, I think it is "half a bug" because your second attempt at purchasing the console went through. The only problem I see here is that the system doesn't register the cancellation and blocks you from purchasing again. Check in one month and see if you're still stuck.
Hope you're luckier than me!

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I'm not sure I've understood. Correct me if I'm wrong... Sooo, you couldn't buy the SX with you account's funds, but managed to buy the console with your CC and then cancelled the order and couldn't buy the SX again when you tried to pay with your MS account balance. Is it correct? If so, I think it is "half a bug" because your second attempt at purchasing the console went through. The only problem I see here is that the system doesn't register the cancellation and blocks you from purchasing again. Check in one month and see if you're still stuck.
Hope you're luckier than me!

For the first order, it wasn't a matter of not being able to use a certain payment method to checkout, it was more that the payment method was incorrect (which is why I canceled). The second time I attempted it basically blocked me. I haven't tried to check out with my credit card but I'm betting it's going to be the same issue. The chat support I received today did mention that I may have to wait 30 days if I 'purchased' one within the past 30 days. Otherwise, they said I would be contacted within 48-72 hours but I'm not holding my breath based on your experience.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn, that sucks...
So, you've been preordering and cancelling your orders without interruption since October 2020, without any issues...? I'm afraid that doing this trick may raise questions and get my account perma-banned/blocked. But, well, if it's the only way to keep my funds, so be it.
It's ridiculous that they haven't managed to fix this issue in two years. And if they can't fix it, the could try another path, like, I don't know, transferring the funds to a new account although it's not generally possible.
To think that I bought gift cards because I read that two payment options at checkout could cause problems...
Thanks for replying.

Yeah. I have been doing that since then. I literally told that I have been using this method to keep my funds from expiring when they told me that they noticed I have been ordering and canceling orders.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I'll look into it tomorrow, maybe changing language, but maybe it just isn't there for me.

Well, it works, but I had to change the new tab language to english, which can be done all right. You actually switch the region for which the page is shown, and I tried UK and a 30 points card appeared, clicked on it and got the points, and then switched to US but the card was the same and it shown as checked already.

I tried setting it to US but on Spanish and Gaming doesn't show btw. Maybe whatever region works as long as it has an English option.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't find this at all lol, so weird

Did you try this?

Well, it works, but I had to change the new tab language to english, which can be done all right. You actually switch the region for which the page is shown, and I tried UK and a 30 points card appeared, clicked on it and got the points, and then switched to US but the card was the same and it shown as checked already.

I tried setting it to US but on Spanish and Gaming doesn't show btw. Maybe whatever region works as long as it has an English option.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
No, but mine is already in English and I'm already in the UK

Then it seems to be a bit random. Mine was 30 points, others said it's sometimes 50 or 10 points. Maybe there are days when it doesn't even show, try again other day. It's the first time I see it too, so I'll keep looking even if tomorrow it isn't there.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Mine was 30 points, others said it's sometimes 50 or 10 points.
In my entire experience of doing this (twice), the first day was to play a Surf game in the Edge browser for 50-points. Today was 30-points to look at MS Edge Themes for the browser. This takes little time and it is working in Canada - not always the case with the way MS gives out Reward Points.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

This actually worked for me and gave me some points. Thanks! Hopefully Phil Spencer wont send the FBI to my house for this

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Then it seems to be a bit random. Mine was 30 points, others said it's sometimes 50 or 10 points. Maybe there are days when it doesn't even show, try again other day. It's the first time I see it too, so I'll keep looking even if tomorrow it isn't there.
I got the 50 point task the first time I tried it last week but I haven't had it come back yet.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
For the first order, it wasn't a matter of not being able to use a certain payment method to checkout, it was more that the payment method was incorrect (which is why I canceled). The second time I attempted it basically blocked me. I haven't tried to check out with my credit card but I'm betting it's going to be the same issue. The chat support I received today did mention that I may have to wait 30 days if I 'purchased' one within the past 30 days. Otherwise, they said I would be contacted within 48-72 hours but I'm not holding my breath based on your experience.

Ah, got it.
Let me know if they fix this issue in 30 days.

Yeah. I have been doing that since then. I literally told that I have been using this method to keep my funds from expiring when they told me that they noticed I have been ordering and canceling orders.
If you don't mind me asking, what's the procedure? Do you pre-order the games, and then cancel the pre-order right after the funds have expired, or do you cancel them near the next month's supposed expiry date?

I called the support again today, talked with the usual guy that couldn't (didn't want to?) help me, they told me that I will be called back again by the woman who forwarded my request to the tech support.
Rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, got it.
Let me know if they fix this issue in 30 days.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the procedure? Do you pre-order the games, and then cancel the pre-order right after the funds have expired, or do you cancel them near the next month's supposed expiry date?

I called the support again today, talked with the usual guy that couldn't (didn't want to?) help me, they told me that I will be called back again by the woman who forwarded my request to the tech support.
Rinse and repeat ad nauseam.
Well, I place the order and then cancel it. I do that until I have covered the total amount on my account. Do that and it will extend the expiry date by a month. You can only do this after you get the funds expiring soon email, otherwise it won't extend.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
Well, I place the order and then cancel it. I do that until I have covered the total amount on my account. Do that and it will extend the expiry date by a month. You can only do this after you get the funds expiring soon email, otherwise it won't extend.
Got it.
Thank you! You guys have been way more helpful than the MS support itself.

UPDATE:
the SX is now available at the Italian MS store;I tried to purchase it, got the "insufficient funds" error again. Tomorrow I will call the support again (hoping that the console will still be available), not holding my breath.
In any case, I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
Just a heads up but 1TB SSD expansion cards are finally back in stock on the Microsoft store.

I've been saving up points lately for the 1TB expansion card, and they finally came back in stock today. Burned through my ~150,000 points now. I'm not sure what I'll start saving for now, I think I've got it covered with a series x + storage + a backbone controller for streaming.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
Got it.
Thank you! You guys have been way more helpful than the MS support itself.

UPDATE:
the SX is now available at the Italian MS store;I tried to purchase it, got the "insufficient funds" error again. Tomorrow I will call the support again (hoping that the console will still be available), not holding my breath.
In any case, I will keep you posted.
Well, as expected the support wasn't very helpful when I called them again early this morning. They keep telling me that they'll forward the case to the tech support and all the usual bs. Today, I almost lost it. I think I will contact some pro bono consumer protection association, this afternoon, hoping they can actually do something to help (unlikely).

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Hi guys! I have a probably stupid question: I didn't think to bring my XsX with me, and don't wanna lose my 26 week streak of rewards. Is there any way to complete the weekly 100point task (the one that has 3 sub-tasks) without my xbox? Thanks!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hi guys! I have a probably stupid question: I didn't think to bring my XsX with me, and don't wanna lose my 26 week streak of rewards. Is there any way to complete the weekly 100point task (the one that has 3 sub-tasks) without my xbox? Thanks!

I think the only way to complete it is via the Xbox, so you'd need to be able to remote play onto it and have a controller to hand...I think.

Unless others have another solution.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you have access to a Windows computer that is signed into your MS account, you can try this

Otherwise, outside of remote play, nothing you can do

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Another option is if you have a trustworthy friend to log into your account on their Xbox they can go into the MS Rewards app for you on their console.

Naru

May 11, 2019
If I want to buy the Hot Wheels DLC on PC with MS Points do I need to redeem "Microsoft Gift Card" or "Xbox Gift Card"? Seems like the text says both should work for games?