• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Do points or Microsoft store money ever expire? Trying to find the best strategy for saving up for a series x. I have about $50 saved up so far in points.
Once you redeem your rewards points you have 90 days to spend that money. I haven't had any issue with the rewards points I've been saving since 2017. As long as you don't redeem them, you should be good.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Do points or Microsoft store money ever expire? Trying to find the best strategy for saving up for a series x. I have about $50 saved up so far in points.

Points you earn expire if you are inactive for 18 months. Inactive as in you don't earn or redeem points for a straight 18 months.

Any Microsoft money you redeemed will expire 90 days from when you redeemed it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like a lot of people are saving for it. My fear is preorders will open up, I'll redeem all my points for Microsoft credit but they'll sell through preorders and I'll miss it, but then I'll be stuck with all that credit expiring in 90 days.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
is there a pc game pass redemption option?
i guess indirectly there is, via xbox gift cards.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
While I agree, I think they mean you to spend on their hardware to benefit from achievements. Seems pretty deliberate as there's always a category exclusive to unlocking achievements on PC specifically.
yes, they have one right now where you complete an achievement in the PC version of dishonored 2, state of decay, enter the gungeon, and a few other games i don't recall, for 100 points.

however, there is at least one non-PC-specific quest that gave points -- i got +300 points for the ID@xbox achievements one even though i didn't play any games on console. i think the vast majority are console-only though.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
So if we use our points to buy a bunch of $50 gift cards, can we even apply multiple gift cards to a single order? How do people plan to use this to help pay for thei Series X?

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if we use our points to buy a bunch of $50 gift cards, can we even apply multiple gift cards to a single order? How do people plan to use this to help pay for thei Series X?

You can't buy real giftcards with your reward points. The dollar amount you wanna trade your points for is automatically added to your MS account. And you should be able to use that balance to pay off your XSX.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
You can't buy real giftcards with your reward points. The dollar amount you wanna trade your points for is automatically added to your MS account. And you should be able to use that balance to pay off your XSX.
So im currently at about $200 worth of points, will i be able to pay off just a portion with the points and pay the rest on my card?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Right, but you have 90 days or you lose the promo credit added to your account. What happens if you redeem points to credit to your account and you can't get a preorder through Microsoft?

Also what happens if say, you redeem points on your account in June or whenever preorders open and 90 days pass? Did it lock in the promo credit so you won't lose it?

I guess I still don't follow how they handle charging for preorders when promo credit is used.

Last edited:

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
So I just learned(via Xbox message) that reward points earned through Game Pass quests expire??? Apparently mine expire tomorrow and I'm a few hundred points short of getting another month of Ultimate..

Anyone else knew about this, kinda crummy

edit: I read above that points expire 18 months if you don't use them. But I use them every time I have enough for a month of ultimate which is every 2 months or so. So I'm pretty much just confused if I'm really gonna lose my points or not now (>.<)"

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
So I just learned(via Xbox message) that reward points earned through Game Pass quests expire??? Apparently mine expire tomorrow and I'm a few hundred points short of getting another month of Ultimate..

Anyone else knew about this, kinda crummy

edit: I read above that points expire 18 months if you don't use them. But I use them every time I have enough for a month of ultimate which is every 2 months or so. So I'm pretty much just confused if I'm really gonna lose my points or not now (>.<)"

I'd contact the rewards team about this because this is the first I've heard of this

I do gamepass quests, haven't redeemed since the 12 month gold option (using it to extend my ultimate sub) came back months ago and haven't received a notification in my email or Xbox messages about my points earned through gamepass expiring

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Just started paying attention to Microsoft rewards. Is there a way to do game pass/game quests on PC? My friend mentions being able to get lots of reward points by playing games, but I don't think I'm able to do the same on PC.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Just started paying attention to Microsoft rewards. Is there a way to do game pass/game quests on PC? My friend mentions being able to get lots of reward points by playing games, but I don't think I'm able to do the same on PC.
Nope, on PC usually you can get only 100 points each month sadly.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018

That might be just for quests you have completed but not cashed in? That might even be about the trial of the new quest system? Check in the Game Pass app if you have any quests to turn in.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Not true. Depending on how old is your account, you can still redeem gift cards.
I'm grandfathered in and can redeeem 5$ and 10$ Amazon gift cards

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the Game Pass thread, but maybe here someone can help me better.

I've completed most of the quests for this month, but I'm having issues with the mobile app. It just doesn't see my Xbox, so I can't download anything to it. I've tried with both the stable and beta apps, reinstalling them, using them in different devices, fully shutting down my console, letting it unplugged for a while, signing out and signing in on my profile... Nothing works. Any ideas?

The funny thing is that I can delete games on my console from my phone. The app shows the storage from my console, but it just refuses to see it on in order to download games onto it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Game Pass thread, but maybe here someone can help me better.

I've completed most of the quests for this month, but I'm having issues with the mobile app. It just doesn't see my Xbox, so I can't download anything to it. I've tried with both the stable and beta apps, reinstalling them, using them in different devices, fully shutting down my console, letting it unplugged for a while, signing out and signing in on my profile... Nothing works. Any ideas?

The funny thing is that I can delete games on my console from my phone. The app shows the storage from my console, but it just refuses to see it on in order to download games onto it.

Did you make sure to turn on the setting on the console itself to allow remote downloads?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The gamepass app is pretty shit in this regard. It will work well in the normal xbox app but a crapshoot on the gamepass app.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Does this work even if I'm in Holland but my Xbox is set to USA? I have that because I like the store more on the USA and of course the prices too.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you make sure to turn on the setting on the console itself to allow remote downloads?

Most definitely. Double checked, twice.

The gamepass app is pretty shit in this regard. It will work well in the normal xbox app but a crapshoot on the gamepass app.

Again, most definitely :P I still haven't found a way to make it work...

In other news, there's a pretty easy way to get 5000 pts if your are on the US. It's still easy in other places, but you do have to buy the FIFA points with money (2.50 of your local currency).

1. Activate the Team of 2019 Punchcard - Despite it saying 2019, this is for FIFA 2020, so be sure to get the right points in step 2 by getting to them via the punchcard.
  2. Purchase 250 FIFA points ($2.49 + state tax) - You're going to use 2,900 MS points (or 3,100 if you are Lv.1) to buy a $3 MS/Xbox gift card to pay for the FIFA points.
  3. Step 2 for UK & Similar - Seems the best way is to buy the 250 FIFA points outright for £1.99 since the lowest you guys can apparently get is a £5 MS/Xbox gift card through Microsoft Rewards (you'd be left with £3.01 and 3 months to spend it otherwise). Same applies to any country in a similar boat.
  4. Punch the final slot and you're golden! - Again, you don't need to own or play the game (hilariously enough) to get this checked off.

Source: Reddit

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey matrixman92 Did you get your achievements in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition? Because if you got them in the GOTY Edition then you can still get achievements and points in Game Pass because Game Pass uses the regular edition and for some reason they're are set as two different games with their own set of achievements

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
So here's a thing. Last night I was looking at quests to complete, and thought I'd see if there's a couple of quick achievements I could knock off in The Witcher 3. I became rather confused when I clicked through to the store page, then the game hub, and checked my achievements, to see I barely had any. I remembered that I didn't play a great deal of vanilla TW3, and instead double-dipped on the GOTY versions and completed that. I didn't realise they had separate achievement lists - I don't double dip very often at all, and just assumed it'd be the same list. Is this standard practise?

Anyway, my question: does anyone know if achievements earned in the GOTY version will count towards that quest? Anyone tried it?

EDIT
Wow, I should have read up just one post!
/idiot

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure I read those 2 different Witcher's save files are incompatible so it makes some sense that achievements are tied.

Btw, 20% off MS gift cards currently on now.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Are the MS gift cards really codes they email you? I read that they get applied directly to your account and expire in 90 days even though the listing says "digital code". My bing rewards account isn't my Xbox account so I would need to move the funds somehow.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the MS gift cards really codes they email you? I read that they get applied directly to your account and expire in 90 days even though the listing says "digital code". My bing rewards account isn't my Xbox account so I would need to move the funds somehow.
They used to be digital codes they emailed you but it changed I believe last year and now they get applied directly to your account and expire in 90 days.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I figured the gift cards would be 20% off this month so I waited with a $65 purchase I wanted to make. Glad I did. It's nice getting free stuff while at the same time supporting the developers fully.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the gamepads ultimate codes expire? They seem to have gotten rid all of the options except 1 month codes but I won't be able to redeem on my Xbox until I get under the 3 year cap. I have a different 3 month code that will expire in March that I need to redeem first so I would need to spread these 1 Month codes out from April through Sept if they don't expire.

I want to cash my account out and switch it to the account I have on my Xbox so I can do the gamepass challenges too. I wish they would just offer a way to merge accounts.