• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
MS have offered all first party games to Playstation, Sony just have to allow gamepass. All these games go to where game pass is, and Sony don't want it on Playstation
Sony are stopping Playstation users getting Starfield and other Bethesda games, not Microsoft.
Most hilarious post I read in the entire thread. I'm sure MS has Playstation 4 and 5 compatible versions of all their first party catalogue thereim their hard drives, waiting for Jim Ryan to say yes.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I think that many Playstation players are used to being able to play almost anything, while players of other platforms were often out of luck (aka Sony paid for exclusivity). That's luxury, and of course it's hard to do without it in the future. Gone are the days when a Playstation is enough to play almost anything you want. It will take time until everyone has come to terms with that.

Yes, Sony has often paid for exclusive content, timed exclusives, and the types of deals that keep games off Gamepass. But many titles are PS exclusive without any deals being made... they are simply PS exclusive because they don't sell on the other platforms. This is becoming more rare because there's plenty of cash to be had on Switch and PC, but Xbox still lags behind.

So, a list of Sony exclusive third party games isn't necessarily indicative of Sony's behaviour on this front, it's more indicative of market trends up to this point.

Jul 22, 2022
MS have offered all first party games to Playstation, Sony just have to allow gamepass. All these games go to where game pass is, and Sony don't want it on Playstation
Sony are stopping Playstation users getting Starfield and other Bethesda games, not Microsoft.
People expecting full native Game Pass (with native versions of Xbox games) are gonna be dissappointed.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
I'm sure Walmart being aggressive with it's pricing/profit margins and operational structure (Walmart was one of the first markets to let customers shop on their own rather than give a list to clerks IIRC) is what led it to become massive. It's the same idea. Eating costs to grow business in the future.

That's $900M a MONTH. MONTH. 9 AAA in a MONTH. COD Takes 3+ years to develop! That's 36 Months! Combine that with all the F2P MTX and retail sales and DLC and so on. It's an absurd amount of money. That's how they will profit in the long run as long as they bolster the IP, their catalogue, and get people to subscribe consistently.
Oh Shit? A month!? I thought that was in a year.

Well, that answers that. I appreciate your responses. They'll get to that soon enough.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
Because a big company literally invests money into the industry? How good it was for the industry when Sony asked for payment in order to support crossplay, leveraging their market share?
I don't know about any of that. What does that have to do with this acquisition?

Should we stay on topic, or is this fair game?

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im not saying every cent is going to the higher ups, I'm just saying that its not all going to game dev and the poor workers getting a big bonus. Do you think FF7R and FF16 could not be made without Sonys exclusivity funds, I find it hard to believ.
I'm not saying that those games couldn't be made without the exclusivity agreements. My argument is that the money from those agreements goes towards the business to use for making games. Your argument was that these deals are solely there to prevent a game from appearing on other platforms. Neither of us know the finer details of any of those deals, but think about it. Do you think Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo would give money to a developer/publisher without some stipulations on the product and how the money is used? I don't think so. They're businesses.

The other part of this scenario is that the third party developer in a exclusivity deal remains independent. They get to make their own stipulations for the game, how the money is used and have the opportunity to choose different partners for other projects. In a situation where a dev/publisher is being acquired by a first party company that first party company generally gets the last say. That's the whole problem with acquiring several developers and publishers. Microsoft gets to gobble up an enormous amount of IP and get to say what happens with the IP and the developers, conceivably, forever or until sold/shutdown. Whereas Sony gets a limited say on FF7R and 16 for a limited time and Square gets to go on with its business.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am a big fan of exclusives as this usually results in much more polished product tailored for the specific console.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I feel like the way this is being framed is a little misleading. The way it's being presented is like Sony is rocking up with a suitcase full of money and saying to publishers, "Take this, and don't release on Game Pass."

What I think is actually happening is they're buying marketing rights to promote a specific game, on State of Plays and in commercials and stuff, and part of that contract/clause prevents the publisher from releasing their game on Game Pass because... Well, if they did, the marketing contract would be pointless, wouldn't it?

I mean, the end result is the same, but I do think framing it correctly is key.

Nah this isn't true either. Stuff like NBA 2K and Guardians have Sony Marketing and still end up on GamePass. They get just as much marketing as say Village and Village we know was at least a year.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's lawyers arguing at the end of the day. They're going to present an incredibly biased and one sided viewpoint that ignores anything that isn't conducive to their case.

Totally, and its fine, it's literally their job. Its just surprising to me how much an official inquiry like this one looks like a console-war forum thread XD

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Is the goal of Gamepass to make money or blitz the competition? I fail to see how increasing the amount of studios you own, which directly increases the games you must put on the service day 1, makes the service profitable.

Shouldn't the goal of any business be the ability to self-sustain? How is it fair competition subsidizing a business model that no other competitor can ever match because of the sheer cost?

Once COD goes on Gamepass, doesn't it automatically lose money? Buying IP, lowering it's potential to generate revenue, all to feed a service that itself isn't (seemingly) generating revenue doesn't make much sense (to me) when factoring in the enormity of the IP they are attempting to take control of.

A few things:
  • All companies value recurring revenue over one-time purchases. It's just significantly less risky. What happens if you release a bomb on a sub is that it fades into the library; if it bombs traditionally, you lose millions of dollars and gain nothing.
  • GP is like Amazon Prime. It's not just "value of all games at retail times # of downloads = value." Do GP members spend more on the store than non-GP members? Not just DLC for GP games but overall. Do their friends spend more? Is it linear? As in, does the average spend of a non-GP user go up as their friends who sub to GP go up? Etc..
That second point is one where only MS will have the full picture, but based on their statements about cannabilization and MAU spend etc..., it's pretty likely that GP drives up overall spend on the platform (console and PC) and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yes, Sony has often paid for exclusive content, timed exclusives, and the types of deals that keep games off Gamepass. But many titles are PS exclusive without any deals being made... they are simply PS exclusive because they don't sell on the other platforms. This is becoming more rare because there's plenty of cash to be had on Switch and PC, but Xbox still lags behind.

So, a list of Sony exclusive third party games isn't necessarily indicative of Sony's behaviour on this front, it's more indicative of market trends up to this point.
No. It's a snowball effect. Entire genres are skipping Xbox because of the deals they have put in place in the past. Sony was market leader last gen, they bought exclusivity of key franchises at a discount because of their huge lead, gamers who liked certain types of games flocked to the Playstation, certain types of games started selling worse and worse on Xbox, the audience completely left after 360's success, the deals for exclusivity are now even easier for Playstation to get to the point they don't even have to pay for some of the more niche stuff - especially Japanese games.

Tigerfish419

Banned
Oct 28, 2021
I'm not saying that those games couldn't be made without the exclusivity agreements. My argument is that the money from those agreements goes towards the business to use for making games. Your argument was that these deals are solely there to prevent a game from appearing on other platforms. Neither of us know the finer details of any of those deals, but think about it. Do you think Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo would give money to a developer/publisher without some stipulations on the product and how the money is used? I don't think so. They're businesses.

What I am trying to say is I don't think Square is going to PlayStation to fund the game, I think Sony is going to Square to make it exclusive. Of course Square can spend that money wherever but I don't think they need that money to fund the current game or any future games, my point is Square makes enough money on their own games to fund all their games themselves I don't think they need to lean on Sony to keep their company afloat, they take the money because why not. Of course if you are fully funding the game you want something back, just look at the Tomb Raider deal Xbox did.

I don't think if Sony said no to the deal and kept their money, that the FF franchise would just die off because Square can't afford to make a new one. If Sony did say no then Square can sell in on 3 more platforms. I think what the case is right now, Sony is probably paying enough to Square to the point they think it's enough to cover the missing Xbox and Switch ports and then they can sell it on PC after some time to scoop up more sales.

I think this whole situation is worse than Sony just outright buying Square, it's the will they won't they release the game that's the stupid thing

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
People moan that the only way to play PS3 games is through streaming, and your answer is to stream games like Starfield? Lmao
Xbox streaming is pretty damn good in my experience. A single player game like Starfield will likely work great and be pretty indistinguishable from native for all but the most sensitive and discerning gamers.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Can someone help me understand something?

Is the goal of Gamepass to make money or blitz the competition? I fail to see how increasing the amount of studios you own, which directly increases the games you must put on the service day 1, makes the service profitable.

Shouldn't the goal of any business be the ability to self-sustain? How is it fair competition subsidizing a business model that no other competitor can ever match because of the sheer cost?

Once COD goes on Gamepass, doesn't it automatically lose money? Buying IP, lowering it's potential to generate revenue, all to feed a service that itself isn't (seemingly) generating revenue doesn't make much sense (to me) when factoring in the enormity of the IP they are attempting to take control of.

What about PSO2?

There are more if you look for them.

Subscription services have a predictable income stream; every month, there's guaranteed income; this is different from pay to own, where there's no guarantee that the next instalment will bring in the same income.

Microsoft can make losses early in the game to gain market share. This is different from a company like Sony, where Sony's dependence on gaming is much higher percentage-wise than MS, and their net income is much lower at less than 10B a year. There's nothing anti-competitive about this, as it's pretty standard in all industries.

Additionally, unlike linear entertainment like TV and movies, there are potential upsell opportunities in games like MTX, Micro-transactions, DLC, ads etc. Microsoft is also expanding their ecosystem beyond the PC and Console to the Cloud, which means there's a much bigger addressable market in the long term.

People moan that the only way to play PS3 games is through streaming, and your answer is to stream games like Starfield? Lmao

People are okay with XCloud because there's evidence that MS is improving the service and expanding it to more markets. Sony doesn't have a track record of improving its service. Heck, they don't support streaming PS5 games and their server capacity is still capped at 5M.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
No. It's a snowball effect. Entire genres are skipping Xbox because of the deals they have put in place in the past. Sony was market leader last gen, they bought exclusivity of key franchises at a discount because of their huge lead, gamers who liked certain types of games flocked to the Playstation, certain types of games started selling worse and worse on Xbox, the audience completely left after 360's success, the deals for exclusivity are now even easier for Playstation to get to the point they don't even have to pay for some of the more niche stuff - especially Japanese games.

Hmm I think there's some truth here but it's not so simple. Microsoft failed to cultivate the audience for these games after making a concerted effort in the 360 days IMO. I really don't know how much is to do with Sony's deals and how much is a result of publishers putting some games on Xbox then getting cold feet when they bombed.

Jul 22, 2022
By offering a massively inferior experience when compared native play for the foreseeable future?
It is already good for a lot of people (hell, I even played via xCloud in the train).

Microsoft failed to cultivate the audience for these games after making a concerted effort in the 360 days IMO
You need time to cultivate the audience. Microsoft started with FF13 (unfortunately not that great franchises) but FF14 skipped the platform, FF15 was on Xbox and FF7R and FF16 went exclusive to Sony.

Sony cultivate JRPG audience since PS1. PS1 was literally a JRPG console.

Oct 27, 2017
A 2 trillion trillion dollar company.

Can't believe you are saying this unironically. Like they dont have the power of a 2 trillion dollar company behind them.
I'm coming in late to this and forgive me if I'm stepping on toes but what do you suggest? That only companies smaller or slightly larger than Sony are allowed to enter this market and compete?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It is already good for a lot of people (hell, I even played via xCloud in the train).

My experience of XCloud, and cloud gaming in general, is that it's a noticeably inferior experience that is tolerable for certain types of game and not for others. It will no doubt get better but it's by no means an equivalent to native play and it won't be for a long time, especially for those in areas with worse internet.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Era like one of the most capitalist-critical gaming-oriented spaces on the Internet?

Why is there such a tacit celebration of the American supergiant literally personal data-selling company Microsoft buying everything and undercutting every competitor to bleed the competition to death?

I swear I feel like I'm being gaslit by the entire planet; surely someone can see through this bullshit?
Console wars

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Hmm I think there's some truth here but it's not so simple. Microsoft failed to cultivate the audience for these games after making a concerted effort in the 360 days IMO. I really don't know how much is to do with Sony's deals and how much is a result of publishers putting some games on Xbox then getting cold feet when they bombed.
I totally agree that Xbox dropped the ball and fell flat on their face at the end of 360 into One gen. It's definitely not exclusively because of the exclusivity deals. The big install base gap out of the gate helped it all along. The underpowered One helped along the lead platform for third parties switching from Xbox to Playstation. It's only part of the puzzle, for sure. But it is part of it. So, when I see the rebuttal to the default exclusives that Playstation gets as not 'counting' for exclusives, to me that's a bit disingenuous because the plan Playstation executed on so well was what they have done since they got into this space. They wanted certain third party games associated with their platforms and they are very aware that has a knock-on effect for any given gen. This has been their strategy every gen to great success. They were trying again this gen right out the gate with trying to associate Bethesda games with Playstation. Two they got and they were looking at Starfield next. I think that was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back tbh. Especially considering Bethesda's history with Xbox.

But to say that getting, for instance, SFV exclusive didn't help kill the fighting scene that the 360 cultivated and LEAD in is either not knowing how it went down or being disingenuous about how it went down. And again the fighting scene on Xbox didn't die in a vacuum. There were plenty of mistakes made by Xbox. But to say Sony wasn't deliberately trying to strangle that genre, and other genres, on Xbox just isn't true. And one of their main weapons in doing so was strategically placed exclusivity deals. They mattered big time. They were smart business and I personally have no issue with the deals Sony made, and made at a discount, given their install base advantage by mid-gen.

Last edited:

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What I am trying to say is I don't think Square is going to PlayStation to fund the game, I think Sony is going to Square to make it exclusive. Of course Square can spend that money wherever but I don't think they need that money to fund the current game or any future games, my point is Square makes enough money on their own games to fund all their games themselves I don't think they need to lean on Sony to keep their company afloat, they take the money because why not. Of course if you are fully funding the game you want something back, just look at the Tomb Raider deal Xbox did.

I don't think if Sony said no to the deal and kept their money, that the FF franchise would just die off because Square can't afford to make a new one. If Sony did say no then Square can sell in on 3 more platforms. I think what the case is right now, Sony is probably paying enough to Square to the point they think it's enough to cover the missing Xbox and Switch ports and then they can sell it on PC after some time to scoop up more sales.

I think this whole situation is worse than Sony just outright buying Square, it's the will they won't they release the game that's the stupid thing

I don't really get your thinking. Of course Square's games will be on other platforms. From Square's perspective they get additional funding and support to make a game in exchange for exclusivity for a set time. Then they get to sell it on other platforms. That's so much better than being scooped up by a first party. Nintendo has the best relationship they've had with Square in years, and that wouldn't be the case if Square was acquired. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. 😅

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Why are Microsoft still making consoles then?
Xbox are still making consoles because they understand the value of a truly consumer-focused brand. The brand Xbox, with physical shelf space, is unique in Microsoft's portfolio. They've tried to get into numerous consumer-first brand spaces in the past and none of them have ever come close to the success of Xbox.

I don't see them ever leaving the console space for that reason alone. xCloud is part of the future, for sure. But having a brand the youngins want is the prize of most all corporations imo.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Yes Bethesda was in bad shape and needed the extra funding that an exclusivity deal of some kind for their biggest and most expensive game would bring, however it is not really worthwhile to speculate on the length of a deal that did not happen and would be an unusual outlier to the vast majority of paid console exclusivity deals (like FFVII Remake) if it were to happen. In either case buying the company making the game is obviously a more extreme way to guarantee exclusivity than any kind of deal between independent companies.

And to a certain degree Square is just all around weird when it comes to what platforms they put their games on and we can't really speculate about any exclusivity deals they might have because of that. FFVII Remake not being on Xbox might be more like the Tembo the Bad Ass Elephant situation where they just didn't write down Xbox on the whiteboard than paid exclusivity. We simply don't know and can't speculate in any productive way.
We don't know for sure because Xenimax as a private company never released their financials but that's most likely where the company was prior to the Microsoft buyout when everything but Doom was starting to cost a lot more to make and selling significantly less, while at the same time they had numerous big flops, and most future games like Starfield were far away, hence why they went with exclusivity agreements for Deathloop and Ghostwire before the Microsoft purchase.

So you first make an argument that we don't know about why FFVII isn't on Xbox and that maybe it wasn't on the whiteboard, despite the fact that XV was on Xbox AND FFXVI is also not on Xbox now, and the turn around and make an argument assuming Bethesda's financial situation based on no source…🙄

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
You need time to cultivate the audience. Microsoft started with FF13 (unfortunately not that great franchises) but FF14 skipped the platform, FF15 was on Xbox and FF7R and FF16 went exclusive to Sony.

Sony cultivate JRPG audience since PS1. PS1 was literally a JRPG console.

I know it takes time. I imagine thing would be quite different if they continued on the path of the early 360 years.

2 big exclusive JRPGs, Tales, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean, locking in FFXIII, becoming the shmup platform of choice, timed exclusivity on Lost Planet, exclusive Ace Combat, Katamari, Ridge titles etc. It was so depressing when that all got left behind for "Halo Gears Forza" then things got even worse with the XB1.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm coming in late to this and forgive me if I'm stepping on toes but what do you suggest? That only companies smaller or slightly larger than Sony are allowed to enter this market and compete?
You can compete without gobbling up large swaths of the market in one fell swoop. We all know what happens over time when these things go unchecked the companies get broken up. Since they will eventually stifle all competition. Growing organically through creating with the revenue generated is far more ideal than just buying competition or adjacent pieces. Goes for sony or any one else. Like we are arguing about ungodly sums of money concentrated to far few companies, no different than how the middle class has eroded exponentially as our entire society races more and more towards all wealth concentrated by the few.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
By offering a massively inferior experience when compared native play for the foreseeable future?
It already isn't a massively inferior experience and in 2 to 5 years, it will be so good that most people won't be able to tell the difference between native play and cloud, imo. Better servers, better internet, better compression, etc.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I totally agree that Xbox dropped the ball and fell flat on their face at the end of 360 into One gen. It's definitely not exclusively because of the exclusivity deals. The big install base gap out of the gate helped it all along. The underpowered One helped along the lead platform for third parties switching from Xbox to Playstation. It's only part of the puzzle, for sure. But it is part of it. So, when I see the rebuttal to the default exclusives that Playstation gets as not 'counting' for exclusives, to me that's a bit disingenuous because the plan Playstation executed on so well was what they have done since they got into this space. They wanted certain third party games associated with their platforms and they are very aware that has a knock-on effect for any given gen. This has been their strategy every gen to great success. They were trying again this gen right out the gate with trying to associate Bethesda games with Playstation. Two they got and they were looking at Starfield next. I think that was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back tbh. Especially considering Bethesda's history with Xbox.

But to say that getting, for instance, SFV exclusive didn't help kill the fighting scene that the 360 cultivated and LEAD in is either not knowing how it went down or being disingenuous about how it went down. And again the fighting scene on Xbox didn't die in a vacuum. There were plenty of mistakes made by Xbox. But to say Sony wasn't deliberately trying to strangle that genre, and other genres, on Xbox just isn't true. And one of their main weapons in doing so was strategically placed exclusivity deals. They mattered big time. They were smart business and I personally have no issue with the deals Sony made, and made at a discount, given their install base advantage by mid-gen.

I fully agree with you, great post!

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Idk where youre getting that idea but its been reported Microsoft approached Activision about their interest. They did seek them out and Activision realized this was their best option and agreed to it.
Edit: oh i didnt realize vg chartz was banned that was the first url i found. Point being Phil approached them in November 2021

ZeniMax likely was the other scenario where they wanted to court suitors.

ZeniMax was planning to sell.

ActiBlizz was blood in the water due to all the scandals and internal development issues and it sounds like the board decided to get while the going is good once MS approached them.

The reason people think Playstation for fighting and JRPGs aren't a coincidence. Sony specifically targeted the big players in the market to ensure they got them exclusive. This drove smaller titles to their platform. They didn't purchase SFV exclusivity or Evo to let Xbox become the platform of choice. Its no different why they were quick to work with Epic to resolve the latency issues.

The opposite is also true. You think they are giving ActiBlizz hundreds of millions for their exclusive marketing deal out of the goodness of their heart? Or were they trying to reverse the image of Xbox being the premier platform for FPS?

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine that someone at Nintendo read this and was all like "hey, don't rope us into this! We didn't even remember that Brazil existed for 5 years!"

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Can someone help me understand something?

What about PSO2?

There are more if you look for them.
Microsoft doesn't use the word profitable when talking about Gamepass, they say sustainable. These are carefully chosen words. To gamers, it doesn't matter. We still get the games. But for them, it's a way to get people in the ecosystem, where they will then go on to spend more money on DLC and microtransactions.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Microsoft doesn't use the word profitable when talking about Gamepass, they say sustainable. These are carefully chosen words. To gamers, it doesn't matter. We still get the games. But for them, it's a way to get people in the ecosystem, where they will then go on to spend more money on DLC and microtransactions.
That's true. Phil has said Xbox is profitable at least, so it's not like a total black hole even if Game Pass itself may not be turning a profit yet. But that's part of why it's sustainable is because the economics of a digital storefront and ecosystem means revenue comes from other areas outside of subscription revenue.