• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 14, 2021
Microsoft clapping back at exclusive content on Sony systems should really go back and take a look at how shitty MS was with exclusive content during the 360/ps3 days.

Edit: yes it's not as bad as it is now with year long deals but they still opened the Pandora's box on this bullshit.
MS opened it? Lol. Do you think Sony's history begins with the PS3?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
User Threadbanned: Thread Whining
But you don't HAVE to post…

Read the actual content of my post instead of flipping out on me for a few words at the beginning of it. I obviously read some of it or I wouldn't have been able to point out the part where they talk about the profitability of exclusivity vs. remaining on all platforms. It's an extremely long wall of legal speak and almost nobody in this thread actually read every word of it.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Elder Scrolls not be exclusive when the end game for MS is that they want to increase the number of gamepass subscribers? Make no sense. Same for the next new IP from Blizzard.
They can sell Elder Scrolls on other platforms & still have it on Game Pass, just like I'm sure they're going to do with Call of Duty going forward. I'm sure going to push Game Pass HARD during that time as well.

It's legitimately a great value. Having Elder Scrolls & Call of Duty on Game Pass, even though it's also on PlayStation, is still a huge threat to Sony. Losing them completely would be even worse, which is way they're taking such a hard stance.

I just wonder what the logic is for Microsoft at the end of the day: Does everything other than Call of Duty go exclusive, or is it a case by case basis?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the inside baseball, OP, it is kind of fascinating to get the look behind the curtain, even as someone who in not a fan of many of these consolidations and acquisitions.

And in this case, I would say that MS' arguments do kind of put paid to a lot of Sony's.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Also in the 360 Generation it was shown that Microsoft could perfectly compete with Sony without having to make big purchases of third party publishers. Even now, without the Activision purchase, the two consoles are selling at similar rates in many markets.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Thanks OP for the translation.
Thanks! Even just admitted that their consoles haven't been successful is kind of huge but both Sony and Microsoft have a very clear agenda with their responses here. Microsoft is laughably trying to downplay their own company and success and the success of Call of Duty here. At the end of the day, it's the largest company in the world acquiring the largest video game publisher. That is going to turn heads no matter how Microsoft tries to downplay it. Calling their console business unsuccessful or a failure is part of that spin for sure.
Yeah those talk are so silly, seriously.
"Let us explained to you why we want to spend 69 Billions dollars on a shitty company".

Also, CoD us unrivaled and unique.
Also, Destiny is unrivaled and unique.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can sell Elder Scrolls on other platforms & still have it on Game Pass, just like I'm sure they're going to do with Call of Duty going forward. I'm sure going to push Game Pass HARD during that time as well.

It's legitimately a great value. Having Elder Scrolls & Call of Duty on Game Pass, even though it's also on PlayStation, is still a huge threat to Sony. Losing them completely would be even worse, which is way they're taking such a hard stance.

I just wonder what the logic is for Microsoft at the end of the day: Does everything other than Call of Duty go exclusive, or is it a case by case basis?
I think it's highly likely Elder Scrolls 6 will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
IMO, everything with recurring revenue streams and microtransactions will be multiplatform, everything single player/non GAAS will be exclusive

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Literally all three console makers do this. Microsoft does it, Sony does it, and Nintendo does it. This is not a "Sony strategy", it's basic gaming industry strategy.
There's a big difference between 3 month indie exclusives and indefinite AAA exclusives. Microsoft and Sony could not have more different strategies here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Also in the 360 Generation it was shown that Microsoft could perfectly compete with Sony without having to make big purchases of third party publishers. Even now, without the Activision purchase, the two consoles are selling at similar rates in many markets.
While that's without a doubt due to a stronger Xbox offering in terms of hardware + services, I think a good portion of the similar rates in many markets is due to availability. But that's reality, so it is what it is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah someone finally brought that up. Let's get the cycle going again!

Virgin acquired a publisher before that. I'll leave that one to the next poster

Yeah this obviously had the domino effect of Nintendo buying Rare, Sony buying Squaresoft, and Microsoft buying Sega to kickstart the original Xbox… oh wait.

If you want to say someone did something first, check your facts before clicking 'post reply'. Its just common sense.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
This is really Sony's fault for relying so hard on third party games to strenght their brand, i dont know if Nintendo was smart or if it was on purpose but putting so much effort on their first party IPs is the best strategy against the new model Gamepass proposes and thats why it doesnt affect them, and they went their own route since the Wii.

Sony has a lot of exclusives and great IPs dont get me wrong, but part of their cake is definetly COD, FIFA and F2P games, at some point if you're playing against a mega-giant like Microsoft, you have to wonder if it really is the best idea to rely on IPs that are not yours...Welp, now that Microsoft woke up i guess Sony needs to think in something innovative, because if not, in 5 to 10 years the market is going to look very different.

Tigerfish419

Banned
Oct 28, 2021

Microsoft isn't buying ABK and Bethesda to compete with Sony, they are buying it to support their subscription service and that is their main goal with these deals. We've already seen the reactions to not a good month for Game Pass, they need as much content as possible to feed the machine.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Excellent post once again. Not only informative but entertaining because of the content.

media is going to quote your work in the dozens now, like they did last time, maybe you should contact some of them and put your next post on their page for a bit of cash, you are very knowledgable about this stuff and parsing through this probably took a bunch of time, you deserve some payment and there's clearly a lot places willing to profit from your work
Also this. No one else is doing this kind of work on the subject.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
There's a big difference between 3 month indie exclusives and indefinite AAA exclusives. Microsoft and Sony could not have more different strategies here.
To be fair I'm sure they'd have the exact same strategy if buying timed exclusivity wasn't so much more expensive for MS than it is for Sony.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
MS opened it? Lol. Do you think Sony's history begins with the PS3?

I'm talking about the exclusive dlc deals with sometimes months of disparity across games like Call of Duty who got map packs a month early, or Rock Band 2 having a 30 day span between 360 and ps3/wii, the GTA4 DLC.

I'm sorry the PS2 was so huge that other systems had trouble with third party games but that wasn't solely because of exclusive deals and shit. People put the games where they were selling.

The things we're seeing now with entire levels, characters, or whatever being held up for years between coming out on one system to the other started because of the 360 DLC exclusive deals, they opened the box and Sony responded hardcore during the PS4 days.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Metacommentary
Isn't Era like one of the most capitalist-critical gaming-oriented spaces on the Internet?

Why is there such a tacit celebration of the American supergiant literally personal data-selling company Microsoft buying everything and undercutting every competitor to bleed the competition to death?

I swear I feel like I'm being gaslit by the entire planet; surely someone can see through this bullshit?

Only thing these people here care is to get cheap games and cheer about companies, giving their data in exchange is nothing. Reactions would be very different if it wasn't MS doing this move.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, everything with recurring revenue streams and microtransactions will be multiplatform, everything single player/non GAAS will be exclusive

That's going to be exactly what happens. Anything that relies on having a lively online player base over an extended period of time will be multiplatform.

Simplification is single player games = exclusive and multiplayer games = multiplatform

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020

The reality is that Microsoft only competed in that generation due to ("Arrogant") Sony and their terrible PS3 release, and by the end of the generation PS3 has sold more. That just shows how dominant Sony is, especially in the rest of the world, regardless of if their product is even good or not. Without that trip up from Sony its very likely we wouldn't have the choice between Xbox and Playstation today, given how close Microsoft was to closing down Xbox in the mid 2010s.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
Microsoft wins the arguments here and this deal is going through.

I do wonder if keeping COD on PlayStation could simply mean Warzone only with main COD titles on gamepass only.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"My company is better and more ethical than your company!" Console warring on the internet have definitely changed recently.
This is what gets me when people are arguing what legal business deals are mutually agreed upon between two businesses are more "ethical" with "ethical" somehow rooted in multiplatform and unethical rooted in exclusivity. LOL

May 14, 2021
I'm talking about the exclusive dlc deals with sometimes months of disparity across games like Call of Duty who got map packs a month early, or Rock Band 2 having a 30 day span between 360 and ps3/wii, the GTA4 DLC.

I'm sorry the PS2 was so huge that other systems had trouble with third party games but that wasn't solely because of exclusive deals and shit. People put the games where they were selling.

The things we're seeing now with entire levels, characters, or whatever being held up for years between coming out on one system to the other started because of the 360 DLC exclusive deals, they opened the box and Sony responded hardcore during the PS4 days.
This is what is known as revisionist history.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't Microsoft's fault that Battlefield has gone completely to shit.

Frankly, the COD community vocally argues that BOCW/Vanguard brought COD to it's lowest point yet.
Though they do say that every year, this time it is a bit different, with Vanguard failing with far more intensity than any other missfire before (Ghosts, WW2).

And just saying COD has no competition when Battlefield has been exactly that since day one, is an outright LIE. Just LIE.

I'm rooting for a good outcome for all parties here, but Sony are really desperate in their argumentation and MS seem to be easily countering them thus far.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
In fact, MS says that Microsoft's ability to continue expanding Game Pass has been hampered by Sony's desire to inhibit such growth. Sony pays for "blocking rights" to prevent developers from adding content to Game Pass and other competing subscription services (then there is a bunch of redacted content).

LMAO the pettiness from Sony.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just wanna say thanks to OP as this thread inevitably turns into a console wars shitshow.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like they'll be on all systems, Sony included, but they'll use perks on Xbox etc to try and entice people over to Xbox in the long term

They could just keep adding CoD perks to GP subscribers etc, or release new maps/modes on Xbox first

I think that would only drive Xbox players to spend more time in the game but wouldn't encourage the existing fanbase to switch platforms. PS and Xbox are so similar that it's easy for someone to switch from one box to the other. PC offers a very different purchase/set-up/customizability experience while Switch and mobile appeal to those who prefer to game on the go.

If they stop the Playstation ports, then that would mostly drive PS CoD players into buying an Xbox and therefore start spending money on their storefront and/or buying Game Pass.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
Well COD has been the best selling game or at least top 3 selling game for what, the last decade at least? It doesnt have competition as no other franchise has done that or come close to doing that. Not sure why people are acting like it's an absurd statement. If someone else was capable of doing that then COD wouldn't be the too selling every year.

Tigerfish419

Banned
Oct 28, 2021
Frankly, the COD community vocally argues that BOCW/Vanguard brought COD to it's lowest point yet.
Though they do say that every year, this time it is a bit different, with Vanguard failing with far more intensitty than any other missfire before.

BOCW and Vanguard have actually hurt the image of COD and it's not the normal "this game is trash" then goes on to sell a billion copies like in the past, you can actually see Activision losing a ton of players, myself included.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Well COD has been the best selling game or at least top 3 selling game for what, the last decade at least? It doesnt have competition as no other franchise has done that or come close to doing that. Not sure why people are acting like it's an absurd statement. If someone else was capable of doing that then COD wouldn't be the too selling every year.

That's not what they're arguing.
There's plenty of games that sell well consistently, like FIFA, GTA, etc, and have for years (decades even).

What they're trying to establish that not only is there no competition for COD in it's genre, but that it's a genre unto itself (or rather, they want that to be percieved as it's own market). All of which is laughable.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
BOCW and Vanguard have actually hurt the image of COD and it's not the normal "this game is trash" then goes on to sell a billion copies like in the past, you can actually see Activision losing a ton of players, myself included.

Yes exactly, and while BF2042 has arguably failed "harder", COD isn't exactly in good graces with it's target audience either.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Microsoft isn't buying ABK and Bethesda to compete with Sony, they are buying it to support their subscription service and that is their main goal with these deals. We've already seen the reactions to not a good month for Game Pass, they need as much content as possible to feed the machine.

You are right and probably one of the reasons is that all big publishers are against subscription services with day 1 releases. Microsoft just used the opportunity with the scandals around Activision Blizzard. Hey, they even were among the top critics against ABK which helped stocks going down.

I won't be surprised if Microsoft target Take Two next, because they spoke publicly in favor of Sony's strategy.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I can't read through this much text without my eyes starting to bleed, but from the highlights I'm able to glean out of the juggernaut of text, basically Microsoft is saying that they don't think making the games fully exclusive to their platform would be profitable enough to make up for the money lost from taking them off of rival platforms, so they think that the acquisition should still be allowed to go through as long as they stick to their word about continuing to support other platforms?

It's also very funny to me that Microsoft is trying to spend this much money on Activision only to go "nah, Call of Duty isn't that important, you guys". If it wasn't that important, you wouldn't be spending more money on a buyout than any gaming company in history has ever spent.

You really do the most caping for Sony in these drive-by posts. The point is that despite Call of Duty is not its own market despite its popularity and cultural impact. Sony was foolish to try and claim that in the first place.