• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

The most compact and affordable entry in Microsoft's lineup of Surface Laptops — the Surface Laptop Go — is being updated with a newer chip as well as an "improved" webcam and thermals. The Surface Laptop Go 2 is powered by an 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor (up from 10th Gen in the previous model), with prices starting at $599.99 for a model with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage.
That said, there have been some tweaks with the Surface Laptop Go 2. Its starting price has gone up by $50, likely because Microsoft has cut the base version that shipped with just 64GB of storage. It's also available in a new green / gray "sage" color, which joins the preexisting blue, sandstone, and platinum options. The rated battery life has gone from 13 hours to up to 13.5 hours, and the laptop is also shipping with Windows 11 this time around.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I feel like the Surface lineup has been awful lately. Get it together MS.

For a totally non technically literate person, could expand a little?

I only ask because I had a Surface from work. Started up quickly and my only complaint was the size of the keyboard. Granted, it was only for MS Teams! But it felt like a nicely put together machine (the only thing I'd complain about apart from the keyboard was the power connector).

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The Go series seems like such bad value for the price? Low resolution screens, low end processors. All the reviews seem frustrated with the performance on these things. The audience that would buy one of these is better off getting one of the nicer Chromebooks or an iPad with a keyboard attachment. You end up spending the same cash or even notably less, depending. And get more stable performance, better screens.

OP
OP
E_i

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

I only ask because I had a Surface from work. Started up quickly and my only complaint was the size of the keyboard. Granted, it was only for MS Teams! But it felt like a nicely put together machine (the only thing I'd complain about apart from the keyboard was the power connector).

Yeah, why does Microsoft insist on a proprietary power cord when USB-C is right there?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

I will give Microsoft credit that they have really high quality devices. The build material and overall aesthetic is very pleasing, reminds me a lot of Apple. However, this is a $600 laptop that they're selling with a 4c/8t chip from 2 years ago and 4GB of RAM. Also, the Laptop Go I believe has a below-HD display. I understand it's a budget laptop, but it's just kind of ridiculous. They do similar things along their entire product lineup. The good news I guess is they upgraded from 64GB eMMC to 128GB SSD as standard?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
$599 is a decent starting price.

The tech-head in me, would've liked to see an Alder-lake CPU, but considering the uplift in performance and in-general the increased cost of the chips relative to the previous generation, it would've not been worth it for the price increase. These surface laptops still remain high-margin machines due to Microsoft staying 1 generation behind.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I will give Microsoft credit that they have really high quality devices. The build material and overall aesthetic is very pleasing, reminds me a lot of Apple. However, this is a $600 laptop that they're selling with a 4c/8t chip from 2 years ago and 4GB of RAM. Also, the Laptop Go I believe has a below-HD display. I understand it's a budget laptop, but it's just kind of ridiculous. They do similar things along their entire product lineup. The good news I guess is they upgraded from 64GB eMMC to 128GB SSD as standard?

They're really betting on the aesthetic with these. But that feeling falls apart when you get your hands on one. Reminds me of using a ThinkPad a few years back, when they changed the designs to these aesthetically great, but still rugged laptops. Almost perfect. But they insisted on low resolution panels with bad viewing angles for much longer than was reasonable. Cheapened the whole experience.

You can save $200 compared to the Go and get the IdeaPad Duet 5, which also has a fairly decent aesthetic, actually has USB-C instead of a proprietary charger, and a much better screen. Sure, it's not Windows, but you're not going to be doing much that requires Windows 11 on a laptop (or Go tablet) this underpowered. There's tons of options like that out there.

May 25, 2019
London
The Laptop Go's are really targeted at schools and students, where the $500-$600 range usually gets you a far worse machine in terms of build quality and experience

I do agree that the Surface line has been a little too conservative lately, even with the overhaul of the Surface Pro to be a Thunderbolt 4/USBC device and the Laptop Studio replacing the Surface Book. They just can't compete with Apple Silicon currently

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
There's almost no utility in buying a Windows-based laptop/tablet with only 4GB of RAM. You're better off buying one of Samsung's tablets for mobility or a real surface/competitor laptop for power.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
4GB ram is just trolling your users. You have to have such specifically light daily workflow for 4GB to be sufficient.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an awful value prop. Who is this for? Save your money and buy a Chromebook instead.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Just looked at Best Buy, they currently have dozens of low end laptops and Chromebooks on sale for under $500 with 8GB minimum and 256GB of storage. $600 gets you in the 12GB and 1TB range.

Unless you really, really love the form factor, there is no market for this.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Seems like an awful value prop. Who is this for? Save your money and buy a Chromebook instead.

Probably schools. I don't even understand why they even try with this type of device but maybe it is getting traction in the education sector. Or there's some kind of bulk education purchase being made by schools. That's my guess anyway.

Panos, what is you doing baby!??

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably schools. I don't even understand why they even try with this type of device but maybe it is getting traction in the education sector. Or there's some kind of bulk education purchase being made by schools. That's my guess anyway.

Panos, what is you doing baby!??

Google has completely eaten Microsoft's lunch in K-12. Unless they're heavily discounting these (and providing a usable version of Windows 11 on 4GB of RAM) then I just don't see the Go changing anything.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, why does Microsoft insist on a proprietary power cord when USB-C is right there?

Perhaps they use the same motherboard and wanted to do the minimal modification. 10th to 11th gen was on the same soc and I imagine the PD and motherboard thus should not have any major adjustment to accommodate the CPU.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Probably compatibility with those docks they don't want to throw in the bin just yet that are probably sitting in many offices or whatever.

I don't even bother checking out Surface these days, always guaranteed they've made some stupid omission or undercooked specs even though the design is nice, they seem to bafflingly self sabotage or price anything that tries to escape the chains laughable expensive. The guy in charge head has got so big I don't think it would fit in the Apple campus.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Google has completely eaten Microsoft's lunch in K-12. Unless they're heavily discounting these (and providing a usable version of Windows 11 on 4GB of RAM) then I just don't see the Go changing anything.
www.microsoft.com

Business Laptops and Computers | Microsoft Surface for Business

Explore a variety of business computers, laptops, and tablets from Microsoft Surface for Business. Empower your employees with business devices and collaborative solutions that best fit their work needs.

This is the "chromebook" style Windows device for basic education uses vs an entry level Surface for casual use like the Go line.