• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is illegal, you know.

dqynwrzutj33.jpg

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The bolded sounds like a dumb argument centered around the storefront not understanding how copyright works.

I'm not a lawyer but from what I've heard that's exactly how the DMCA works(because it obviously favours the big tech companies). There's also the fact that whilst it's obviously bullshit that Microsoft wouldn't know Nintendo hasn't licensed their IP to this Edge plugin developer it's another to prove it. It's not worth the effort if they comply once a rights claim is made.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
...how did they think this was going to go? Like they couldn't have been like, this is a great idea!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
They still got Mario Kart 64 up in the extension site. As well as Super Mario Bros. They have both been there since December and NOBODY at Microsoft noticed.
I would not want to be the guy at Microsoft who has to explain this to legal teams and executives.

Microsoft Edge Addons

Make Microsoft Edge your own with extensions that help you personalize the browser and be more productive.

EDIT: Archived both pages because they'll be gone soon enough.
Super Mario Bros: https://archive.is/ztHiy
Mario Kart 64: https://archive.is/5YrUM
Fucking insane!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Where are the ROMs hosted?

Downloading a ROM and running it in an in-browser emulator is how Archive.org does it.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
...how did they think this was going to go? Like they couldn't have been like, this is a great idea!
I think it's just like that. Some illiterate person in the gaming sphere (and technology besides social media) who found this and thought "Oh, this is neat! I can play those old games on Edge, gotta share it with the people!"

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Wait, is this Microsoft's 'shot across-the-bough/bow' to Nintendo acting as if Nintendo thinks it has all the power to dictate what is online and what gets shut down and sued into oblivion, at the whim of NCL?

"Goodguy" Microsoft tactic?

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's just like that. Some illiterate person in the gaming sphere (and technology besides social media) who found this and thought "Oh, this is neat! I can play those old games on Edge, gotta share it with the people!"

You think though that they would at least think, "hey, let me not name my companies competitors in this official tweet."

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wait, is this Microsoft's 'shot across-the-bough/bow' to Nintendo acting as if Nintendo thinks it has all the power to dictate what is online and what gets shut down and sued into oblivion, at the whim of NCL?

"Goodguy" Microsoft tactic?

This is just user submissions.

No different than a Super Mario 64 ROM on Archive.org.

Edge's social media person just likely isn't up on copyright.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am extremely confused.

Edge is surprisingly good though. Makes you wonder why it took Microsoft so long to dump Internet Explorer.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there's a pirated Minecraft extension...

Microsoft, are you okay?

Microsoft Edge Addons

Make Microsoft Edge your own with extensions that help you personalize the browser and be more productive.

That's Minecraft Classic, which is free and already online at classic.minecraft.net.

All that extension is doing is being a wrapper with the added bonus of being allowed to track your browsing history.