• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like you have trouble reading the press release between Sony and MS, they are exploring the use of Azure. If you want to talk in regards to current evidence, Sony's infrastructure is based on their acquisition of Gaikai, it's absolutely nothing compared to MS's Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon AWS. It seems like you have some sort of weird attachment to PSNow like its your first born and can't admit that MS, Google, Amazon will have superior streaming services than Sony.
Here's a link confirming that for Xcloud microsoft uses Xbox Ones (like sony uses PS4 and 3)Then state that they will share same technologies for streaming.Meaning in that partnership nobody get the lead technologicaly over another.
But I don't know why the hatred you seem to feel toward Psnow.

here's the link.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PSNow will always be a second tier service, that's why they have to resort to using Azure because they can't compete with MS infrastructure or technology. The real competition is now Amazon, Google, and MS. They will be battling for borderless, seamless gaming on every device. Each of their tech is on par with each other, What's going to differentiate the service will be original content (just like Netflix), that's why MS went on a huge shopping spree for studios.
Dude, you just lumped Amazon in with the companies that you consider true competitors to Microsoft for game streaming, yet AWS is what Sony has been using prior to moving their cloud services to Azure. Is there something inherently wrong with AWS that makes it "second tier" compared to Azure for game streaming, or could it be that Sony found that Azure prices were far more reasonable for their business needs?

You are jumping to conclusions that cannot be substantiated. Microsoft went an acquisition drive because their lineup was getting hammered by critics even more harshly after they lost like 5-6 of their core creative studios/partners and projects in the space of a few months and needed something to replace them in the run up to the next generation where a fresh start is important. Was a focus on streaming another reason that happened? Probably, but overall your argument is going off existing technology and presenting how Sony with one of the biggest gaming brands on the planet isn't prepared to go against other companies despite any behind the scenes work they're doing with streaming that we aren't privy to and with a monster back catalog of games that can easily outclass any of these companies.

As other have also mentioned, xCloud is going to be using 1.4TF of compute against Stadia's 10.7TF. So to begin with they are going to be extremely outclassed by Google, but in the future they will improve just like Sony will improve to compete - like you said they never will.

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Here's a link confirming that for Xcloud microsoft uses Xbox Ones (like sony uses PS4 and 3)Then state that they will share same technologies for streaming.Meaning in that partnership nobody get the lead technologicaly over another.
But I don't know why the hatred you seem to feel toward Psnow.

here's the link.
Someone mentioned that Azure is just the backbone of the service but Sony will still need to implement their own software onto it. It won't be exactly the same. Microsoft is building Azure and Xcloud with each other in mind. There may be some advantages there.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
PSNow will always be a second tier service, that's why they have to resort to using Azure because they can't compete with MS infrastructure or technology. The real competition is now Amazon, Google, and MS. They will be battling for borderless, seamless gaming on every device. Each of their tech is on par with each other, What's going to differentiate the service will be original content (just like Netflix), that's why MS went on a huge shopping spree for studios.

I hope they are planning on announcing some more acquisitions because I don't think they have enough. Also, they need to start farming out to more 3rd party devs because it doesn't seem like they'll have much of an offering for a few years unless there are titles which haven't been announced from other studios.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User banned (3 days): console wars, hostility
I'm correcting a few things because it seems like PS fanboys here seem to grasp for straws and hoping xCloud will be an inferior service, here's a quick summary of it:

- xCloud currently has no games (DUH, it's private trials now and will be announced publically in 2 weeks)
- xCloud won't have that many games because of licenses (this is perhaps the dumbest excuse I have heard, you think MS will have trouble getting permission from game studios to stream their games on any device?)
- PSNow is a good service (lol yes, that's why they have to ditch their infrastructure and ask MS to be their bros)

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned that Azure is just the backbone of the service but Sony will still need to implement their own software onto it. It won't be exactly the same. Microsoft is building Azure and Xcloud with each other in mind. There may be some advantages there.
Yeah but I think that if it had the name of a car in it's username we can disregard that opinion since it seems vehemently biased.

Anyway here's a quothe from the link :"the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services "
So I don't really see anyone getting the upperhand here just a partnership against a more dangerous enemy to them Google.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
I'm correcting a few things because it seems like PS fanboys here seem to grasp for straws and hoping xCloud will be an inferior service, here's a quick summary of it:

- xCloud currently has no games (DUH, it's private trials now and will be announced publically in 2 weeks)
- xCloud won't have that many games because of licenses (this is perhaps the dumbest excuse I have heard, you think MS will have trouble getting permission from game studios to stream their games on any device?)
- PSNow is a good service (lol yes, that's why they have to ditch their infrastructure and ask MS to be their bros)
Simple questions why would it be easier form Microsoft to get licenced games?
And if psnow was soo bad why would microsoft partner with sony for codevelloping cloud solutions?
why does everyone disagreeing with you and pointing the flaws in your reasonning is a fanboy?
Last did anybody said it would be worse than Psnow I don't think so just people saying that Xcloud won't be leagues better based on nothing but opinions.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like you have trouble reading the press release between Sony and MS, they are exploring the use of Azure. If you want to talk in regards to current evidence, Sony's infrastructure is based on their acquisition of Gaikai, it's absolutely nothing compared to MS's Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon AWS. It seems like you have some sort of weird attachment to PSNow like its your first born and can't admit that MS, Google, Amazon will have superior streaming services than Sony.

I have no trouble reading the press release and I've already posted multiple times in this thread that it's a MoU between Sony and Microsoft and there is no partnership yet. I was responding to your post where you said, "that's why they have to resort to using Azure because they can't compete with MS infrastructure or technology".

Read your own words, you said, "PSNow will always be a second tier service", which means even if they do wind up on Azure and have the same level of reach that xCloud does you somehow think they will still be a second tier service? That makes absolutely no sense. Now if you had instead said "PS Now is CURRENTLY a second tier service" then I wouldn't have bothered replying to you because that's your opinion and you're free to express it, but proclaiming it will always be a second tier service is puzzling. If you wish to correct yourself on that statement then that's the end of this discussion as I don't wish to delve further into your console warrior nonsense.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Yeah but I think that if it had the name of a car in it's username we can disregard that opinion since it seems vehemently biased.

Just because you keep iterating this, doesn't make it true. You sound quite naive and now your arguments have evolved to being personal and essentially trying to say "please people, don't believe his posts because I'm a Sony fanboy and don't want to hear anything negative towards Sony"

Also, one other dumb thing I read in this thread about PS4 remote play as a comparison. Do you honestly believe this is the same type of service or are you just trolling on purpose?

PS4 remote play is tied to your console vs xCloud is content that is delivered purely through the cloud. You don't need to own an Xbox Console to stream games through xCloud. You essentially purchase a license and can freely stream it on any device.

Of course, keep pushing the narrative that I'm talking out of my rear or discredit me because I have a car in my username only because I'm not pushing your positive-sonyfanboy framework.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PSNow is a good service (lol yes, that's why they have to ditch their infrastructure and ask MS to be their bros)
Did you only casually glance at the news about Sony and Microsoft's memorandum of understanding?

Do we know for sure if Sony moved from AWS to Azure because of the infrastructure, and not something else like price?

Do any of your responses here have anything to do with the actual quality of the PS Now service or is it all hyperbole?

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Simple questions why would it be easier form Microsoft to get licenced games?
And if psnow was soo bad why would microsoft partner with sony for codevelloping cloud solutions?
why does everyone disagreeing with you and pointing the flaws in your reasonning is a fanboy?
Last did anybody said it would be worse than Psnow I don't think so just people saying that Xcloud won't be leagues better based on nothing but opinions.

all these questions are extremely childish.
- MS has already has a dedicated team in place to get licenses for Xbox BC games, do you actually think game developers will be like "no, I don't want to have my game accessible on mobile phones and open up a greater potential customer base to purchase my game"

- you actually think Sony is helping co-develop Azure? Sony is essentially trying to be a customer of MS's Azure infrastructure.

- ah, the straw man argument, "hey look, a few people don't agree with you therefore you must be wrong!"

- Based on opinions? You obviously not educated yourself on Azure's infrastructure or MS's gamestack or paid attention their acquisitions like PlayFab.

Seems like you are adamant on wanting to being naive, in that case, I won't waste my time.

PorscheDesign

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Did you only casually glance at the news about Sony and Microsoft's memorandum of understanding?

Do we know for sure if Sony moved from AWS to Azure because of the infrastructure, and not something else like price?

Do any of your responses here have anything to do with the actual quality of the PS Now service or is it all hyperbole?

Do you honestly think Sony is exploring (not moved yet) Azure because of price and not because Azure is one of the best infrastructures in the world and with MS having extensive experience in gaming?

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you keep iterating this, doesn't make it true. You sound quite naive and now your arguments have evolved to being personal and essentially trying to say "please people, don't believe his posts because I'm a Sony fanboy and don't want to hear anything negative towards Sony"

Also, one other dumb thing I read in this thread about PS4 remote play as a comparison. Do you honestly believe this is the same type of service or are you just trolling on purpose?

PS4 remote play is tied to your console vs xCloud is content that is delivered purely through the cloud. You don't need to own an Xbox Console to stream games through xCloud. You essentially purchase a license and can freely stream it on any device.

Of course, keep pushing the narrative that I'm talking out of my rear or discredit me because I have a car in my username only because I'm not pushing your positive-sonyfanboy framework.
O0h boy you misinterpreted quite a lot what I said I just said that you were talking about psnow and Xcloud without anything to back it up.
And I don'"t dismiss your opinion just because your username has the name of a car in it I absolutely don't care about that if it was the character of a video or an anime I would've said the same.
As for the remote play you said that sony didn't want to to that I just pointed that it is already possible.
Now I'll be honest with you I like talking to people whose opinion differ than mine simply because sometimes it can help me understand thing from a diferent POV.But I like doing it as long as it is a constructed opinion yours is not it is just showing that you absolutely have faith in microsoft good for you but I don't care.
I'm bringing article and quotes you trashtalk services and others have been pointing that too.
I'm not 12 I don't care wich plastic box is better to you but if you lie I correct you and if you post an opinion as fact then I point it.
I've never used the ignore function yet but you seem to do anything in your power to get me to use it.
Use well constructed arguments based on facts and we will be able to talk keep attacking me or any service based on nothing and you will get ignored like a nuisance to get rid of.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
all these questions are extremely childish.
- MS has already has a dedicated team in place to get licenses for Xbox BC games, do you actually think game developers will be like "no, I don't want to have my game accessible on mobile phones and open up a greater potential customer base to purchase my game"

- you actually think Sony is helping co-develop Azure? Sony is essentially trying to be a customer of MS's Azure infrastructure.

- ah, the straw man argument, "hey look, a few people don't agree with you therefore you must be wrong!"

- Based on opinions? You obviously not educated yourself on Azure's infrastructure or MS's gamestack or paid attention their acquisitions like PlayFab.

Seems like you are adamant on wanting to being naive, in that case, I won't waste my time.
What a good way to answer none of my questions.

1.Great argument that works for every console pc or cloud service.Nothing point to Ms having an advantage.

2.you probably misread I said co developing cloud solutions the onlive and gaikai patent may help Ms

3.It's not a strawman or anything I just say stop telling people disagreing with that they are fanboy THIS is childish.

4.Yeah azure is widespread so is AWS that sony uses.What is the point?Azure is not Xcloud as well as psnow is not AWS.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Do you honestly think Sony is exploring (not moved yet) Azure because of price and not because Azure is one of the best infrastructures in the world and with MS having extensive experience in gaming?
Yes it may be for other reasons unless you were at the meetings you can't say that.Nor you can contradict what has been reported to be the agreement where it is specificaly said it is a pertnership going both ways.
Ms just teamed with a company that has something like 5 years of experience in cloud gaming and more experience than them in gaming.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's one possibility that's worth considering but it's probably not that simple either. Are you admitting that everything you're saying here is based on presumption, confirmation bias and not facts? Cool. I don't know how much cheaper Azure is likely to be for enterprise accounts, but there is a visible pattern of 'Low-Cost, High Volume' goals as far as Microsoft is concerned. Such as certain elements of their cloud platform being 94% cheaper than their competition, and with them offering access to a large downloadable high-value library of games to their customers for a very, very low price.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Thread suddenly got quieter :)

Anyways, I'm very curious to see how cloud offerings from all parties evolve over the next year and beyond.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Thread suddenly got quieter :)

Anyways, I'm very curious to see how cloud offerings from all parties evolve over the next year and beyond.
Yeah me too and a suspend/resume would be awesome PLaying at home your game then pausing it and resume playing on the way to work would be great.
I do hope that every service works well technically and comercialy because I don't want naysayer like there is with VR.Maybe it will lead to better compression algorythms which I believe are the main problem for smaler connections.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
lol

How would better than native be possible? How about be more realistic and less dramatic and ask for close to native?
Yeah I don't think it can be better than local this or in the next generation.Simply because of compression artifacts but I hope it will get pretty close to it.And if it become marginally inferior maybe I'll just buy collectors for games I'll really love.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads like these make me wish Microsoft release their gaming streaming already. People are now straight up fantasizing its services to mystical hights, and I am not sure MS could actually deliver on the unreasonable expectations.
MS engineers are mortals, I am sure they are working as hard as they can, but don't be disappointed if they don't release a magical service that actually gives you everything you want.
It wouldn't be the first time for Microsoft PR to overhype something to the point of self harm.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Threads like these make me wish Microsoft release their gaming streaming already. People are now straight up fantasizing its services to mystical hights, and I am not sure MS could actually deliver on the unreasonable expectations.
MS engineers are mortals, I am sure they are working as hard as they can, but don't be disappointed if they don't release a magical service that actually gives you everything you want.
It wouldn't be the first time for Microsoft PR to overhype something to the point of self harm.
That's a problem we as gaming enthusiasts have everything needing to be perfect, new and feel the same as before sometime we rant about things that are good even great but there's this tiny grain of sand that we need to emphasize to the moon.
But hey it's Era for gaming (too) enthusiasts

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like where the state of gaming is going if this is going to replace native options, but I will see myself out. My apologies.

No worries, as I said before I don't know why everyone assumes it has to replace regular gaming. Netflix did not shut down theaters or kill physical copies. Phil Spencer already admitted native will be better which is for the more hardcore like us.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bacause psnow is like a alpha/beta test for streaming. It's really not any good.

Have you actually used it? I jumped on the 12 months for $60 deal at Amazon a few months back and it has been shockingly good. There are tons of random jrpgs on the service which run flawlessly and have been awesome to sample and jump around. As a stress test last night I played an hour of Metal Gear Rising and was pleased with how great it felt and looked. I expected a lot more compression artifacts given all the fast motion, particles, film grain, etc, but had difficulty spotting any. Control response felt good as well.