• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
lol this thread is weird. Didn't think the option of having gyro would rustle so many jimmies.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the only game I own that has gyro aiming and I don't get why this feature hasn't been broadly adopted by the industry. I mean, Sony's controllers have had the technology for two generations now and it goes completely unused.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get gyro, it sucks in my opinion. If it doesn't increase the cost of the controller than sure but it's like bottom tier feature for me and I'm sure most people. Use a mouse and keyboard if you want precision because I think the XSX will support it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lol this thread is weird. Didn't think the option of having gyro would rustle so many jimmies.
It's... well, it's baffling, but don't expect it to change until after more AAA shooters come to support gyro.
You'll see opinions flip really fast, especially in games where the use of gyro over traditional dual-analog is obvious or highlighted. It's almost like having a keyboard/mouse adapter, except you're not really cheating. It's that much of a passive advantage. It'll be a riot, when many of the same people who used to openly wonder why anyone would need gyro, are suddenly making posts about how useful the functionality really is, or about how gyro is ruining multiplayer games for them because they can't keep up and refuse to make the switch.
Until then, you'll just have to let luddites be luddites. Or let skeptics be skeptics. However you want to look at it. It's such an obvious enhancement on its face, being another layer of fine control on top of what a controller already has, that I'd understand anyone being baffled when people show resistance to even the notion of including it as an option.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get gyro, it sucks in my opinion. If it doesn't increase the cost of the controller than sure but it's like bottom tier feature for me and I'm sure most people. Use a mouse and keyboard if you want precision because I think the XSX will support it.
But people would like to have improved control from the comfort of their couch without the need of extra peripherals. How does gyro suck?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
But people would like to have improved control from the comfort of their couch without the need of extra peripherals. How does gyro suck?
And I'm here on PC with access to a keyboard and mouse comfortably yet I still have a controller in my lap right now as I type this (just finished playing a game with it and gyro+touch pad).

Controller is just darn comfortable, no playing twister with the wasd + using abilities keys and such, making sure I hit 6 [backspace] 4... 5 (5 is what I was trying to hit) instead of (looks down) 4 etc. With controller everything is withing a comfortable reach. Paddles (steam controller) and smooth motion and aim, gaming heaven.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
And I'm here on PC with access to a keyboard and mouse comfortably yet I still have a controller in my lap right now as I type this (just finished playing a game with it and gyro+touch pad).

Controller is just darn comfortable, no playing twister with the wasd + using abilities keys and such, making sure I hit 6 [backspace] 4... 5 (5 is what I was trying to hit) instead of (looks down) 4 etc. With controller everything is withing a comfortable reach. Paddles (steam controller) and smooth motion and aim, gaming heaven.
Well, see, we're lucky enough to have something as ridiculous as the Steam Controller. I'll play a single player game with that over m/kb at my desk as well. Being able to configure everything to my liking is such a blessing. Also, the touchpad makes the analog stick look and feel ancient.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Gyro + analog is inarguably better than analog alone, people only talk shit because they're set in their ways and/or have some psychological baggage about distancing themselves from "lesser" forms of gaming where motion control is more common.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

There's been zero mention of the next Xbox having gyro controls, so console warriors will instinctively reject and downplay any mention of the feature.
It's baffling. If anything Xbox fans should be mounting a twitter crusade to try and get gyro added to the next Xbox controller. It's objectively a great control option that people shouldn't be without.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
And that's my point. For like...most people, they don't feel like that and it controls fine for them.

I feel sorry for people who feel otherwise cause it must suck.

When you're used to filet mignon. It's kinda hard to go back to Hamburger Helper

Mouse and KB is a cumbersome setup for couch gaming. A controller with a $0.07 gyro has all the benefits of a standard controller + the option to increase speed and precision to near mkb levels.

It's also increases accessibility options which is always a plus.

It's a botton tier feature for people who don't know any better.

Thanks i will. Someone gotta take a stand for the losers. Because how dare someone have a different opinion. People who thinks sticks should be standard. The horror...

Sticks would still be standard if a gyro is included... it would co-exist with the sticks.

You arent really standing up for anyone. You're just standing in the way of those who want superior options.

It would be like you opposing the second analog stick on OG xbox and PS2 controllers in support of those who like Goldeneye's FPS controls.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is increasingly left struggling with aiming thanks to carpal tunnel syndrome and general shitness of my thumbs and pointing fingers thanks to having a physical job, anything like gyro assist that can keep me in the game is a good thing... just wish there was more of it on playstation 'cause I don't particulalrly like playing my Switch.

Even with Destiny 2, low key as it is with lots of sticky aim assist, I began to struggle (to the point where a friend began taking the piss at how shit I'd got). DS5 with better gyros than DS4 and supported throughout all releases where it makes sense would be a big win for me. Dreams drift and twitchiness is my current struggle, but even still it's a title that proves how gyros offer far better control scheme possibilities as the regular stick-only scheme has me far less effective and productive.

Is a lack of hardware feature parity preventing serious uptake of gryo assisted game control due to most games being standard accross ecosystems? It needs not to be.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That wasn't gyro though, that was an infrared light/sensor that the Kinect could pickup. That's a very different thing.
Implementation wise, sure. In practice was there any difference?

I remember even seeing videos of people hooking up the Kinect to the pc and having full motion tracking for the controls. If I recall they even had 2 leds in different frequencies so they would know the orientation as well

FishHookFPC

Feb 17, 2020
I hadn't experienced gyro aim in a shooter until Splatoon, and now it's a feature I crave in most modern console shooters and I miss every time it's not there. That little bit of help aids precision so much. If we're already paying out the nose for controllers, a gyro would be really nice. That said, I won't be wildly upset if it's not there, even if I REALLY don't understand the deep resistance to it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Implementation wise, sure. In practice was there any difference?

I remember even seeing videos of people hooking up the Kinect to the pc and having full motion tracking for the controls. If I recall they even had 2 leds in different frequencies so they would know the orientation as well
Yeah they work very different from each other even in practice. The moment the sensor loses sight of the controller, the tracking is completely gone and the system has no way to determine what's happening and just stops entirely doing so (very noticeable with the Wii when you stop pointing at the bar). And it only tracks movement, though the Wii (and I assume also Kinect) used multiple lights at different distance to also register distance and tilt (though the Wii also had the built in gyro to register the later). Gyro doesn't have this problem and it can register any movement, tilt and what not, however the problem is that it has no specific point to track, so after some time it starts to drift so it needs to be able to be reset. Splatoon solves this by resetting the aiming to the base line and you can easily adjust, but it takes a bit to get used to.

The absolutely best solution would be the usage of both at the same time, Pikmin 3 did this if used with a Wiimote with Motion Plus. Aiming is done with the IR and it works perfectly, until it looses track of the IR sensor and the gyro picks up the lack of a tracking point. However the moment it picks up the sensor again, it starts using that again and automatically resets the gyro.

There's no perfect solution to this until driftless gyro is invented, but when it works good, man oh man does it work good!

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Sticks would still be standard if a gyro is included... it would co-exist with the sticks.

You arent really standing up for anyone. You're just standing in the way of those who want superior options.

It would be like you opposing the second analog stick on OG xbox and PS2 controllers in support of those who like Goldeneye's FPS controls.

It's definitely not the same as going from one to two sticks. You are using your thumbs when you play with one or two sticks. It's a completely different way to play games with gyro. You skills doesn't translate much between the two ways to play.

I have no problem with options, but i have a problem with playing against gyro users. You say it's superior, so is mouse and keyboard and i don't want to play against mouse and keyboard either when i'm using a controller.

I find it funny that when we had the whole mouse and keyboard on console thread everyone agreed that it was unfair and we needed a toggle because it's superior to playing with a controller.

it's the same thing with gyro, yall say it's superior to sticks, so if it becomes standard you are at a disadvantage playing with sticks. I don't really see why it's so outlandish to want to play on an even playing field, no one bats an eye when people want a toggle for mouse and keyboard.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not the same as going from one to two sticks. You are using your thumbs when you play with one or two sticks. It's a completely different way to play games with gyro. You skills doesn't translate much between the two ways to play.

I have no problem with options, but i have a problem with playing against gyro users. You say it's superior, so is mouse and keyboard and i don't want to play against mouse and keyboard either when i'm using a controller.

I find it funny that when we had the whole mouse and keyboard on console thread everyone agreed that it was unfair and we needed a toggle because it's superior to playing with a controller.

it's the same thing with gyro, yall say it's superior to sticks, so if it becomes standard you are at a disadvantage playing with sticks. I don't really see why it's so outlandish to want to play on an even playing field, no one bats an eye when people want a toggle for mouse and keyboard.

What are you talking about? When you play with gyro, you still use the sticks. The gyro just adds precision. We are just replacing CPU-assisted part of twin-stick aiming with a user controlled gyro... How can you argue that the skills don't translate?

This is identical to going from one to two sticks- you're adding a cheap peice of hardware that dramatically improves the way user inputs translate into actions on-screen, whilst still giving the user the option to stick with the inferior method if they want to.

The hunt for an even playing field shouldn't come at the expense of basic technology improvements. If you wanted golden eye controls in CE (or basically any Halo game) you could have selected it, but most people quickly chose to learn twin sticks because it's inarguably superior. Nobody complained about the playing field being uneven, they just played a couple games and got the hang of the better solution. The same would happen if gyro was a standard option in console shooters.

I think it's pretty humorous to be worried about a "level playing field" for match integrity, while advocating for a control method where the CPU guesses everyone's intentions.

The main issue with mkb is that it's not a realistic option for most console players, so you'd be putting most of the playerbase at an insurmountable hardware disadvantage. With a gyro being standard in the controller, if you can't complete, its purely because you're choosing not to learn to be better.

Last edited:

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I despise gyro aiming in FPS games but gyro is a good addition to any controller anyway

Microsoft pls

Jun 2, 2019
Is a lack of hardware feature parity preventing serious uptake of gryo assisted game control due to most games being standard accross ecosystems? It needs not to be.

That, and studios taking GAMERS seriously. Those two things are holding back the evolution of controllers, and Microsoft being in front and center of "the resistance" needs to be called out. This isn't some silly antics like a wand shaped controller, this is a feature that adds a lot precision and accessibility wise.

The lack of gyro supporting on PS4 despite the controller having a not too shabby gyro sensor is pretty sad. It would be standarised already if the major developers implemented it.

Hopefully the Switch being basically mainstream will help on this.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Some kneejerk reactions in this thread are hilarious.
In terms of accuracy, gyro aiming (combined with stick of course) is undeniably better than stick aiming. It's not even an opinion anymore, and I'm sure the multiple videos demonstrating this fact have already been posted here (I haven't read the whole thread). There's a reason why aim assist us a thing on console. Some may not like gyro, but besides being petty or being afraid to get rekt by gyro aiming players on online shooters, I see no reason to actively be against it.
I'm personally interested in the Microsoft SeX, but if the base controller doesn't include gyro aiming, I might pass on the whole console actually as I cannot imagine myself coming back to stick aiming.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If they can keep the price from going up too much, sure. €70 for the Switch Pro controller, which doesn't even have analog triggers or an audio-out is a bit too rich for my taste.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
MS, please DONT include any unnecessary crap in your controllers!

Jun 2, 2019

I mean

Rumble triggers ARE unnecessary

As it is the light on the Xbox logo

And the jewel style buttons

And the microswitched D-Pad

I can go on if you want...

Oh does it? Hmmm. May have to consider that for PC usage then. Seems like compatibility is pretty good now through Steam, and I desperately need a controller with a reliable D-pad.

Yeah, pricing has nothing to do with gyro. Hell, you can get Switch third party controller for as little as 25 € with gyro sensor. The most notable and feature complete third party controllers include gyro and barely reaches 50 €

Those 70 € of the pro Controller are basically for a feature complete controller (With NFC sensor and HD rumble) and the brand itself. Gyro sensors are so cheap the impact on the price is minimal

Jun 2, 2019
And ? I agree with you. I don't need all those fancy things.

But they still are there and add to the experience, in some cases improving it (Rumble triggers are great for racing games)

Gyro is cheap, adds inmensely to the experience and it's literally the next step for controller inputs. Microsoft is the only one who doesn't implement it.

So this is not Microsoft not including "unnecessary crap", this is Microsoft being more Nintendo than Nintendo in their stubborness to adopt a standarised technology for god knows what reason, and hindering the experience with their stupidity.

Never refuse more options.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
But they still are there and add to the experience, in some cases improving it (Rumble triggers are great for racing games)

Gyro is cheap, adds inmensely to the experience and it's literally the next step for controller inputs. Microsoft is the only one who doesn't implement it.

So this is not Microsoft not including "unnecessary crap", this is Microsoft being more Nintendo than Nintendo in their stubborness to adopt a standarised technology for god knows what reason, and hindergin the experience with their stupidity.

Never refuse more options.

Options are always good that's why I would like to have the option to buy a controller without all those, for me, uneccessary features.

Since you brought up Racing Games are good with rumble I like to add that people who really care about immersion, do use steering wheels and have a proper set up anyway.

Jun 2, 2019
Options are always good that's why I would like to have the option to buy a controller without all those, for me, uneccessary features.

Since you brought up Racing Games are good with rumble I like to add that people who really care about immersion, do use steering wheels and have a proper set up anyway.

You mean people who really care about inmersion and have money to spend right? Because a racing setup with steering wheel and stuff is not exactly cheap

Also the controller including gyro doesnt force you to use it, every single game in existence allows you to disable it. Releasing controllers both with and without gyro is a dumb idea.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I suppose all those waggling image macros of yesteryear did a number on the opinion of gyro or IR pointing gameplay, even if many many games pull it off very well b

Nintendo really should have kept an IR pointing-capable controller in Switch.
I'll never ever stop hoping they bring it back (in a console that is not an utter disaster AND does not get vitriol on a daily basis as it happened with the Wii) until they actually do. :-D

IR with gyro assist is so better than any dual analog setup that it's not even funny.

What IS funny (well, saddening is probably the most appropriate word) instead is seeing people actively rejecting the second best controller setup for FPS/TPS/RTS, etc. :-(

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
User warned. Trolling
You mean people who really care about inmersion and have money to spend right? Because a racing setup with steering wheel and stuff is not exactly cheap

Also the controller including gyro doesnt force you to use it, every single game in existence allows you to disable it. Releasing controllers both with and without gyro is a dumb idea.

So you are against options afterall ??? :D

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'm just still surprise that gamers are so comfortable with just using dual analog stick and aim assist (or without) and think thats fun. Using a steam controller on PC with gyro made third person and first person games way more enjoyable. My jump to ps4 with just dual analog stick for aiming has been hard and some what not enjoyable. I dont know why people are still comfortable with that way of play.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh does it? Hmmm. May have to consider that for PC usage then. Seems like compatibility is pretty good now through Steam, and I desperately need a controller with a reliable D-pad.
The actual gyroscope sensor costs literal pennies on the production side of things, it won't impact the price of the controller. And if you don't want gyro aiming, just turn it off. More options are never a bad thing (this part is for the latter 2 quotes, not the first one).

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
The actual gyroscope sensor costs literal pennies on the production side of things, it won't impact the price of the controller. And if you don't want gyro aiming, just turn it off. More options are never a bad thing (this part is for the latter 2 quotes, not the first one).

The Playstation controller has it and is 10 Euros more than Xbox controller where I live. Original prices compared obviously.

I always like to have a controller that has only the buttons and sticks we are used to that's it. Should easily available for like 25 Euros. I take battery life over everything as I disbale what I can anyway and I don't want to pay for features I don't use.

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation controller has it and is 10 Euros more than Xbox controller where I live. Original prices compared obviously.

I always like to have a controller that has only the buttons and sticks we are used to that's it. Should easily available for like 25 Euros. I take battery life over everything as I disbale what I can anyway and I don't want to pay for features I don't use.
With this line of thinking we would still be using Atari controllers. Or games would still control like GoldenEye, or Doom.

Stop allowing games to be shackled to the past. Get outside your comfort zone for 2 seconds.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Then that may have more to do with the light bar, the touch pad, or (more likely) Sony themselves. At least in NA, the prices are the same. And the sensor itself is dirt cheap to commercially purchase & even cheaper on the production side. If anything is gonna bring up the price, it's the rumble triggers, not a gyro sensor that has become standard in most phones & controllers.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Then they should include it.

Here's what MS should add in ALL their upcoming controllers:
- Gyro sensor for aiming/camera/input (optionnal controls to be activated by the users)
- Back paddles (at least 2 and optionnal to be actived by the users)

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

That's an issue with Sony. In the US the Xbone controller and DS4 are the same price.

The accelerometers probably don't use that much power vs a regular controller. The Switch Pro controller has gyro and some of the best battery life in the industry.