• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
news.xbox.com

LeBron James, Bugs Bunny, and Xbox Invite Fans to Create a Space Jam: A New Legacy Video Game - Xbox Wire

Microsoft and Space Jam: A New Legacy are coming together for an epic partnership in the leadup to the film’s release in 2021. In celebration of the new movie, Xbox, Bugs Bunny and LeBron James are teaming up to help YOU create an original arcade-style video game inspired by the new movie. Just...

Pretty cool contest if anyone wants to take part!

Microsoft and Space Jam: A New Legacy are coming together for an epic partnership in the leadup to the film's release in 2021. In celebration of the new movie, Xbox, Bugs Bunny and LeBron James are teaming up to help YOU create an original arcade-style video game inspired by the new movie.

Just announced on social, we're on the hunt for the best fan-submitted video game ideas—the loonier, the better! Starting December 14 through December 30, fans ages 14 and up will be able to submit the game ideas they think will be a slam dunk at the official contest website. All you have to do is review the Official Rules, select the gaming genre of your choosing using a key image and describe your game idea in less than 500 words.

Two lucky winners will have their ideas brought to life in the official Space Jam: A New Legacy arcade-style video game, available as the newest Perk for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members in 2021. Winners will also receive the following prizes: their names featured in the game credits; an exclusive winner's bundle with signed and authenticated LeBron James memorabilia, Space Jam: A New Legacy merchandise and Nike VIP packs, and a personalized Xbox Series S console; a private friends and family screening of the film; and a virtual Microsoft coding workshop for their local community.

Microsoft and Warner Bros. have more exciting news to share in the coming months ahead of the official release of Space Jam: A New Legacy movie and video game in 2021.

It will be developed by Other Ocean Interactive btw https://rules.xboxpromotions.com/XboxSpaceJamANewLegacy

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't have to be deep - just make a fun NBA Jam knock off with nice hand-drawn 2D style animation stylings that distinctly doesn't look like a flash mobile game and I'd buy it

Make it cheap, fun with a compelling loop. It definitely doesn't need to be a huge project

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Nice, wonder which game company will crunch to make this game come out in under a year

Probably not the real situation (or at least, I would hope not). The game is hopefully 90% done already and whatever this is is just picking up some feature or asset. Feels like the bigger angle is the teaching kids to code/engage point of it, not the "design your game and we'll make it".

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm sorry. WHAT.

What most of you probably don't know is......... this almost happened on an official basis, a long time ago. I don't have many details about how far it went—perhaps just a single meeting that went nowhere—but once upon a time, someone at Xbox tried to get the ball rolling on a Lebron-centric XBLA game. It could've been like NBA Jam, or it could've been like Punch-Out!!. I'm pretty sure nothing was ever formally produced. I'm also quite sure Lebron was looped in.

It's been long enough that I'm comfortable putting this nugget into the universe, to see if anyone else knows more about it from its conception phase and can clarify.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. the best spacejam videogame ideas...

So the only thing I know about the new Space Jam is that rather than battling aliens, Lebron + Bugs are battling a super smart basketball AI. I feel like some tie-in to Michael Jordan being the bad guy behind the AI, or like, the AI studied Miichael Jordan's basketball ability from the original Space Jam and based the AI off of that.... And then kinda making Jordan into the bad guy at the end, in full on 'The Last Dance' era of cocky, retired, pink-eye, cigar smoking, whiskey drinking Jordan would be a clever throwback to the original. It's a kids game so obviously sans cigar + whiskey.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame they dropped Kinect support, because I'd be totally up for a character-based rhythm game based on wacky basketball moves.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
They're crowd-sourcing ideas for a game that comes out in 6 months? We're talking a few extra uniforms or a new court design at best right? Good prize package for fans of Lebron at least.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The winning submission is a business sim where you decide to screw over unions by releasing new movies directly to HBO Max.
Nice, wonder which game company will crunch to make this game come out in under a year

These are so random and weird. 😵

You must open your hearts to the whimsy of Space Jam. Allow yourself to feel joy! We can lead you to come on and slam, but you have to want to jam.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
This gave me an idea that is too good for a promotional Space Jam game.

50-50 game like XCOM or Total War:
1) Management/sim/grand strategy game where you manage your team, coaches, acquire new loons/aliens/players, level them up, sabotage enemy teams, handle wacky events to keep morale up or whatever
2) XCOM like strategy battles for basketball matches, that are played on basketball courts with cover places, hazards, etc., where you both have to take out other players and defend against their attacks, as well as score points on the board. So you could like spend action points to either hit/shoot sb, or pass the ball, or dribble, or shoot for scoring or whatever.

So basically a crossover between Football Manager and XCOM. Man I want to play this now.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't have to be deep - just make a fun NBA Jam knock off with nice hand-drawn 2D style animation stylings that distinctly doesn't look like a flash mobile game and I'd buy it

Make it cheap, fun with a compelling loop. It definitely doesn't need to be a huge project

Yall never heard of/played the PlayStation 1 version???

Oh god I'm old for real if yall never heard of it.

Edit-

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They should style it after the GOAT basketball game

barkley1_screenshot_1.png