• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is really simplistic but as the boss of XBOX I certainly wouldn't want to name my next console similar to a previous generation i.e. 'S'.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Ladies and gentlemen, this is Xbox number five!

A little bit of Banjo in my life
A little bit of Conker by my side
A little bit of Gears is all I need
A little bit of Obsidian is what I see
A little bit of Forza in the sun
A little bit of Masterchief all night long
A little bit of Ori, here I am
A little bit of Phil makes me your man

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Call it the Xbox 2600 and get people deeply confused as to whether that means it's really really advanced or really really old-fashioned.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

:D

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
I like Xbox 5 a lot, but if there is a mid-gen Xbox, and I don't think next gen will have them, we could see potentially see Xbox 7 going against PS6, making Sony not name it PS6, or some other similar situation. That would be a shame, I really want to see PS9 some day

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting the Xbox One S, so he really needs the courage to call it Xbox 7... and install Windows 7 on it.

Aug 26, 2019
It would be weird to call it Scarlett given that Xbox's color is green. Unless they're going for a new color scheme next-gen, which I wouldn't be opposed to.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It should be Xbox 4, but they need to call it Xbox 5 because of the comparison with PS5.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, do you think Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Infinite would be less confusing to casuals than Xbox 2, Xbox 3, and Xbox 4?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
Xbox One, yes. But 360 was sufficiently discernible. But having the two major brands in which grandma's everywhere already mix up "Xbox" and "PlayStation" as though they were synonyms, similar numbering wouldn't help. Also, it helps building excitement when each platform is more distinct by avoiding normal numbering. At this point Playstation numbering is kind of its thing.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
I never understand the worry about Xbox4 being less than PS5.

They had to called the current gen Xbox One because they didn't want to see the number of Xbox3 less than PS4. Which I thought was stupid.

In same comparison, I don't think anyone would buy a Samsung Galaxy 8
over iPhone 6 just because the number 8 sound larger and superior.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Xbox
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Xbox 360 S
  4. Xbox 360 E
  5. Xbox One
  6. Xbox One S
  7. Xbox One X
  8. Xbox Scarlett
We could go higher if we include apps (SmartGlass, Xbox Console Companion, upcoming Xbox app), emulators (Fusion, Fission), add-ons (Kinect) and streaming (XCloud) as platforms.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I thought "Xbox" and then "Xbox 360" was fine. Good even. But "One" and all its variations are poor names. They should abandon numbers entirely IMO. Use code names after Xbox or just rebrand completely.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017

You, my good fellow, deserve the comment of the year award.