• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Well, they did have the courage to name the 2nd Xbox the Xbox 360 in order to appear "bigger" compared to the PS3, so........Not sure what they were thinking with the One though.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
So far we have...
Xbox - 2001
Xbox 360 - 2005
Xbox One - 2013
Xbox One X - 2017

Microsoft has a pretty unconventional naming scheme going on. For them, I guess it is "whatever sounds cool at the moment". Technically, they would have to call it Xbox Four, though. But then again...Windows 10 did come after 8.1, for some reason. Just call it

XboxV

unconventional but not random, they pretty much all have some interesting explanation or idea behind, going with just a 5 wouldn't really suit their naming schemes history I don't think, also it's clearly not their 5th gen of consoles but 4th, also not even their 5th revision or spec if you are going to count the X you should probably count the S for example.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it being called just 'Xbox'. They need a brand push that people know is a new device.

Xbox 10 feels like something Microsoft would do, Windows 10 and twice as good, lol.

I wonder how bad a decision this is for them right now, must be a nightmare hope Sony is cruising with simple number upgrades.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'd rather them call it the Xbox 5 than the weird shit they've gone with up until this point. They'd catch a lot of "lulz jealous of sony" heat for a short period of time and then we could rest easy knowing that they'd probably stick with simple numbers for the rest of the Xbox platform's lifetime.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox X5 sounds alright. Short and punchy to say and as a logo, static or animated would be nice. 5th major Xbox. #X5 #XBX5

Vasto

May 26, 2019
Using numbers is boring. PS is the only console that uses numbers like 2, 3 and 4 while all other consoles use names.

I look foward to the name of the next Xbox and what meaning it will have behind it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, id rather they just call it Xbox. I don't think they need the numbering or naming system anymore.

I think Xbox is going to be an iterative brand from now on anyway

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
They should just leave Playstation in the dust with Xbox 7 or something crazy like that and not acknowledge it nor explain it.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
XBOX 3000

You can't count a hardware upgrade as a new generation or a new console, The One X is just a Xbox with more power, that's all.

Dec 13, 2017
They should call it X Box Zero to stick with the tradition

You have the Xbox
Then the Xbox 360, which means you went in a circle but still didn't go anywhere
Then the Xbox One, like step one, your starting point, still haven't gone anywhere yet
Then Xbox Zero, still at the same place

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda partial to xbox scarlett now. This is only acceptable if the system has a sleek red design.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should call it X Box Zero to stick with the tradition

You have the Xbox
Then the Xbox 360, which means you went in a circle but still didn't go anywhere
Then the Xbox One, like step one, your starting point, still haven't gone anywhere yet
Then Xbox Zero, still at the same place

They call it Xbox 360 because you turn 360 degrees and walk away

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
X1X is the Xbox 3.5 just like the PS4Pro is the 4.5 model.

But yeah, just call it the Xbox 5.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
unconventional but not random, they pretty much all have some interesting explanation or idea behind, going with just a 5 wouldn't really suit their naming schemes history I don't think, also it's clearly not their 5th gen of consoles but 4th, also not even their 5th revision or spec if you are going to count the X you should probably count the S for example.

The S is just a minor refresh of the original Xbox One, though. It still shares the same internals. The Xbox One X is much closer to a new console, with an updated CPU, a RX580 style GPU and 12GB GDDR5. It is still built on the same architecture, but it is a major upgrade of all the internal components.

And yeah, I am sure all their consoles so far have some weird internal logic behind each name. But it still comes off as letting a PR team name the console to whatever is trendy.

I kind of do like Xbox V. I think that works.