• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
you do know that they can have new ips and pillars that stand next to halo and still put out halo. they dont have to get rid of halo in order for there to be other pillars

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a big investment for just the hardcore fans
It's really not given Xbox has expanded their market and access to their games. Halo Infinite will release on sale digitally on PC (Windows store and Steam) and digitally and retail on Xbox and people can access it through buying it, or subscribing to Game pass on PC and/or console. Halo Infinite is likely to have it's highest player engagement ever for a Halo game. It's why your "concern" seems so misplaced and laughable by stating they need a "Plan B" and "Halo Replacement".

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair if you go into the mindset of we need to replace Halo you are always gonna fail.
Alot of stuff just happens. I mean look at Fortnite. Laughing stock until they introduced a F2P spin off in BR.
And the game became more then that. Nobody was expecting that or planned that within Epic. It just happens and stars align.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
You're like 10 years late on this take. MS is all about variety now to prop up Game Pass.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To me there's nobody doing it better than Microsoft

Halo as a top tier online FPS
Forza as pretty much the definitive Online racer
Killer Instinct as a top tier online fighting game
Gears as the best 3rd person online shooter
Minecraft as one the biggest online games on the planet
Sea of thieves as a crazy unique online shared world game

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still maintain that I don't see a need for both Xbox and PlayStation to be around today. 🤷‍♂️ I'm not trying to bring up console wars, but I think three console manufacturers is a crowd in 2020. With Xbox, it isn't so much the IP's, but that Sony does new IP's better than them, and Sony also has a variety of Japanese games on their consoles.
Almost can't believe people actually have this opinion, I dread to think what things would look like now if Sony were left to their own devices, or MS for that matter. Xbox has brought incredible changes since it entered the industry, they completely revolutionised online gaming. We need both companies, the competition forces each of them to change for the better. Imagine if Sony wasnt around at the start of this gen and MS were able to go forward with their original Xbox One plans? They forced MS to change direction and we have benefited from it, with Xbox raising the bar with services like Game Pass and pushing new ideas like cross play and play anywhere, which in turn is forcing Sony to improve their services. Gaming would be worse without either company.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Almost can't believe people actually have this opinion, I dread to think what things would look like now if Sony were left to their own devices, or MS for that matter. Xbox has brought incredible changes since it entered the industry, they completely revolutionised online gaming. We need both companies, the competition forces each of them to change for the better. Imagine if Sony wasnt around at the start of this gen and MS were able to go forward with their original Xbox One plans? They forced MS to change direction and we have benefited from it, with Xbox raising the bar with services like Game Pass and pushing new ideas like cross play and play anywhere, which in turn is forcing Sony to improve their services. Gaming would be worse without either company.

For sure. The competition aspect makes it worthwhile to have them both around. I suppose it hinges on what a consumer wants out of a console: Do you want more Japanese games, do you want to play on the same console your friends are playing on, do you chase after the higher specs on a machine, or do you want to play select first party IP's such as Halo or Gears of War.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure. The competition aspect makes it worthwhile to have them both around. I suppose it hinges on what a consumer wants out of a console: Do you want more Japanese games, do you want to play on the same console your friends are playing on, do you chase after the higher specs on a machine, or do you want to play select first party IP's such as Halo or Gears of War.
Xbox gives you options. You don't need a console to enjoy their games or services.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
They have a lot of IP, and now have to appeal to both PC and Console players. Diversity is key.

If I have one criticism, it's that they should let their big hitters differentiate like Sony did with Sucker Punch and GG. They don't necessarily have to change IP, a second project could do them wonders creatively.

That being said, Infinite isn't out yet, I have a good feeling about that game.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they're investing in new AAA IP, The Initiative is clearly the big bet.

Originally they were described as an AAAA developer, but I think they said in recent interviews they were gonna stay small, so I wouldn't expect them to release anything near the scale of a Halo game anytime soon.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the complaint used to be about Halo/Gears/Fable and then changed to Halo/Gears/Forza

It doesn't matter what the reality is, the 2008 concern about this will never die.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not just hardcore fans though.

Millions of people still buy and play Halo.

Halo 5 didn't hit the same heights as Halo 3 in terms of player counts/retention but it was still extremely successful.

this isn't enough though when halo is your big flagship title.
nintendo release like 4 titles a year that outsell halo and sony like 1-2.

Sosukae

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite will be a great addition to this years selection of new games. I really enjoy Halo so I don't think Microsoft need to replace it, they just need to carry on building other IPs alongside it.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Gears and Halo are still fan favorites...for a smaller group of fans that are still very loyal. I'd rather Gears and Halo show up once every gen or so (6 years maybe?), without too many changes to the gameplay as it is now. They would be strong value propositions still, and play differently enough from other games on the market to be worth a look.

And then let studios make new IPs the rest of the time.

Every gen they had one gigantic game, Halo for xbox, Gears for 360, Minecraft (it did knock open the Nintendo doors, and recently PS4). Will be interested in seeing what they try this time (hopefully they've learned it's not TV tie-ins...)

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft needs a top notch exclusive FPS that is better than what the competition has......

They have one, it's called Halo!

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
yeah but Nintendo and Sony don't have a strong exclusive multiplayer FPS and it didn't seem to hurt them.
But I agree Microsoft should try other avenues than to copy the sony cinematic action game style, I think focusing on great online games is key for M$ success.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
but nintendo and sony make profits with their gaming business.

Yes, they do. Maybe MS does so too.

That wasn't my point to be honest. Microsoft has a fairly sizable gaming division without having the first party attachment rate that Nintendo does. Sony doesn't fare that much better than MS at this point to be honest. I'd say the attachment rate of Forza Horizon is probably better than the rate of God of War, if you compare the size of the userbase.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, they don't need a replacement but a companion. Halo is still massive as a gaming brand.

They also have Minecraft. But with all these new studios I'm sure we're going to get a new IP that can stand shoulder to shoulder with Halo.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didnt know about that

It was mentioned in other threads, but is also here:

However, The Initiative also looks to set expectations going forward, claiming "staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations." It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale.

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox Game Studios 'The Initiative' talks 'staying small, staying agile'

Microsoft is setting expectations for its The Initiative studio, "staying small and staying agile" for its early days.

So I think we should expect smaller scale projects (AA) from them from the sounds of things. I expect the majority of Microsoft's games to be AA level, with their AAA games being mainly made by their Gears, Halo and Forza studios (343i, The Coalition, Turn 10 and Playground).

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe that's what The Initiative is for? But I'm fine with more Halo alongside other titles
I think this was the first post to mention The Initiative. Xbox has been a aware that they need another big hit for some time and have been working hard to produce one. The problem is that it can take 5 years from decision point to beginning to see results.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
i agree that they need a game for modern times that is what Halo was back in 2001. but i don't think halo should be replaced, not for the time being anyway. if MS needs a killer idea they can just contact me :)

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the initial success, I haven't expected this kind of drop. I think majority didn't, because if you look at that highlight thread on ERA, it was full of people suggesting that Halo is back and it is big/relevant again.
The fact it even got that many players from such an old game shows it's still big/relevant though.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Uhm how about 15 studios + now? Hows that not a plan B... they haven't been able to bank on halo for last 2 games anyways.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Microsoft try to replace one of their Tentpole franchises?

Halo has action figures, building sets, films, and who knows what other merchandise. Successful companies add to their portfolios when they have successes like the Halo brand, they don't get rid of them.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if this thread was
Disney really needs to replace Star Wars and Marvel

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This would be like saying, "Nintendo needs a plan B, they need to start thinking about a Mario replacement.", Halo to MS is what Mario is to Nintendo. What they need to do, and are starting to do now, is supplement their big IPs with new IPs to keep things fresh and varied.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
4's campaign was fine? I never saw anyone complain about it. It was a great send off for Cortana (before Guardians fucked it up).
I only started to see positive reactions to Halo 4 after Halo 5 came out, both campaigns suck. Halo 4 was very linear in its level design and the whole Master Chief is a chosen one thing was awful. 5's story is atrocious not much else needs to be said there.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Halo is Microsoft's most well known game. At one time, a time when there was no real threat on consoles from a third parties in the FPS field, it was king. It ruled with a iron fist and it took COD4 to finally make the Spartans to budge from their throne of power.

Fast forward to today and Halo is not what it's once was, caught between a power struggle between Halo enthusiasts and probably people in power who want to evolve it into a series that will have a wider net of appeal.
I have faith with the help of Gamepass, Halo Infinite will succeed in drumming up excitement. But people have moved on....Halo is now sharing it's playerbase it once held with COD, Battlefield, Rainbow Six, Overwatch and Destiny.

But this thread isn't about the direction Halo needs to take. It's about Microsoft needing a Plan B.

Plan B isn't a single player, third person view cinematic game. That will fill a hole, but they need something that can be as exciting as Halo once was.

Forza is great for racing, arguably the best racing game this generation.

Gears is fun and always well produced but it has failed at being a Plan B, it's now just a game you play for a month or two and put down.

Microsoft needs a new MP game that will drive engagement. That will make Microsoft a must have system.

It can't be purchased with marketing rights, it can't be a time released third party title. It needs to be a in house success story.

They need the Halo replacement.

hmmm.. well we know almost nothing about Infinite and what the package will contain. What sustain they will do and etc.
The population of gamers is actually growing and it appears to me MS is already looking on how to engage those users. hint: xcloud, gamepass + xbox access.

I'm in the boat of "wait and see" to gauge they need a plan B where this universe is really big and diverse. grass isnt always greener on the other side. in this example a plan b vs Halo.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I don't think it should be replaced; it should be made relevant again AND flanked with new IPs filling the holes.
Hopefully the studios they bought can release something impactful.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah, they just need to reinvigorate the franchise.

If i was MS I would give Halo a rest for about 5 years, while 343i makes something else they're passionate about. Then completely reboot the entire Halo franchise, throwing out all the EU lore and narrative baggage that came with Bungie's series---not entirely.

Start with a new Halo, hundreds of years in the future. Fresh clean slate. New cast, new story, a new threat. Build a new legend.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The perceived gap in the Xbox portfolio, at least in the "West", is cinematic 3rd person games.

I think The Initiative, Playground and Ninja Theory have this covered. 3 studios working on this type of game is enough.

Japanese games will initially be covered by Global Publishing.

They pretty have everything non VR related covered now.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to develop a game with the purpose of being the flagship title is kind of dumb. You can't engineer what is going to suddenly take off and Halo was very lucky to be a lightning in a bottle and have fantastic multiplayer innovations.

No one knows what the big game of the next decade will be.

Focus on making a good game. Make a great Halo game. If it's good, people will come.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
MS needs to completely break the single and multiplayer components away from each other for Halo/Gears imo. Have Halo Online as f2p service game (same for Gears).

Sony are being smart by doing this for TLOUS.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like their current strategy:

1) buy a shit load of quality studios
2) give them the creative freedom to build whatever the fuck they want
3) launch them into gamepass

You don't need to replace Halo with anything.

Halo can continue to co-exist with what will hopefully be a bunch of other great games. Heck maybe through this process they'll even find another flagship title or two to go along with Halo.

Jun 17, 2018
They don't need to replace Halo at all, it's a great franchise in my opinion. What they need is more big hitters which is hopefully going to be something we see over the next few years.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, they do. Maybe MS does so too.

That wasn't my point to be honest. Microsoft has a fairly sizable gaming division without having the first party attachment rate that Nintendo does. Sony doesn't fare that much better than MS at this point to be honest. I'd say the attachment rate of Forza Horizon is probably better than the rate of God of War, if you compare the size of the userbase.
You really shouldn't compare attachment rates of an online-focused racer to a Single Player narrative-driven game.