• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously wonder who it could be.

Buying a Japanese developer would be interesting to say the least, as Xbox has little to no marketshare in Japan. Buying someone like Capcom or Square-Enix would essentially destroy a lot of their IPs (unless they were multiplatform).
The only way Microsoft could gain mindshare in Japan is if they bought Nintendo and that's not happening lol.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming and digital content is the future of gaming.

These recent big acquisitions are the just the beginning and it's going to escalate this year going forward.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
thats like asking why people like when netflix or hbo max juice up their content selection.

Game pass type ecosystems are the future.
Microsoft doesn't need to buy entire publishers to have their games on Gamepass. They can just pay them for it.

They're buying publishers to raise barriers to access these games, despite what their PR might say.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously wonder who it could be.

Buying a Japanese developer would be interesting to say the least, as Xbox has little to no marketshare in Japan. Buying someone like Capcom or Square-Enix would essentially destroy a lot of their IPs (unless they were multiplatform).

Capcom might survive but Monster Hunter, their fighting games and smaller titles would probably be dead. Pretty much anything that's not from Dev 1 would be dead.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only company I can think of is Gearbox.
Privately owned, and within reach of MS. It obviously cannot be any major japanese company for the reasons everyone is already thinking of, but I can't think of many western companies that'd be of interest to MS without being too big.

Gearbox owns Borderlands, it's a big IP and popular on Xbox thanks to being shooters. It'd fit well. All of their games outside of Borderlands bombed. It looks a lot like the Bethesda case so I'm gonna bet on that.

Last edited:

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
This thread and that 100 page thread on ''Sony to lock another big moneyhat'' are fun as fuck looking in retrospect, even more so when is the same people being contradictory🥴🥴🥴🥴.
Well, this is kinda the nature of this subject, it will be a sad generation all around.

We will be fine lol

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Movie and TV streaming services aren't exactly the same. And if they are, we're in big trouble because of what eventually happens when they're around long enough.

all I'm seeing is a steady stream of content, a lot of which worth checking out.

Hopefully MS can get as close as possible in a gaming space.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I will say I love a streaming future when we get a Digital Foundry thread comparing two streaming services on the basis of their crystal clear 60 FPS 4K output.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The only company I can think of is Gearbox.
Privately owned, and within reach of MS. It obviously cannot be any major japanse company for the reasons everyone is already thinking of, but I can't think of many western companies that'd be of interest to MS without being too big.
If they bought Gearbox they'd practically own the DFW gaming industry save for a few indies.

Oct 27, 2017
If tv/movies and music has shown us anything it is this is more than enough room for competition if they have the content.

Netflix was the king of tv/movie streaming and yet Disney+ and HBO Max have recently come out and immediately have 10's of millions of subscribers. I point this out because moving forward it seems a subscription will be the driver for Amazon, Google and Xbox.

If Google and Amazon fail in gaming it wont because MS was dominant, it will be because they failed to make content people want.
That does make sense when you put it this way. I just hope they wake up soon so that if the worst case scenario happens, they can keep each other in check.
I don't really see how they wouldn't be able to compete. Games are what matter and they will still have big IPs in addition to the ability to create and potentially acquire more.
But the thing is, at least on the PS side, there are a lot of third party games. People buy PS because of exclusives and third party.

If they can't do that then interest would go down and obviously Sony doesn't have the same amount of cash on hand to be able to compete with giant companies when it comes to first party games. All this would lead to is less games. If that was to happen they wouldn't be a big competitor.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
This has always been what I thought would happen if MS is truly serious about gaming. They literally have the money to burn.

Oct 25, 2017
thats like asking why people like when netflix or hbo max juice up their content selection.

Game pass type ecosystems are the future.

Only you can use those streaming services on just about every platform, and the preservation of TV and movies being streamed is not remotely comparable to video games. This also doesn't account for the fact that Microsoft doesn't and hasn't needed to outright purchase these devs and can just license the rights to them.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh any major publisher would be a nightmare for many.

I wouldn't mind because of my Gamepass sub but I know it wouldn't be great for a lot of single console owners.

EA - would probably have to release the sports games multiplat (maybe they'd actually make FIFA Switch not suck ass) but Respawn, BioWare and those sports title on Gamepass Day 1 would be industry altering.

Sega - Sonic, Persona, Shenmue, Yakuza, Valkyrie Chronicles.

Ubi - Assassins Creed, Watchdogs, Prince of Persia, Tom Clancy license, Far Cry

Capcom - Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Mega Man

Any of those would be insane and really shake up the industry and writing out the franchises out right now really made me realize how nuts it would be.

I can't see it happening, but again I never saw Zenimax happening.
The worst problem is that if MS buys any of these publishers, that combined with the Zenimax buy will force Sony on a arms race. So if MS buys one of these four, Sony would no doubt do a bid on another.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I love these threads.

You have people who own an xbox that are happy and people who own a switch or PS console saying they hate MS and the videogame industry is going to crash and burn.

Good times.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's most likely WB. Do public companies need to disclose sale discussions of part of their business or only if it's the entire org?

Given that AT&T and Sony's conversations about Crunchyroll weren't exactly a secret months before it actually happened, and neither were AT&Ts efforts to try to sell WB Games before backing off, I want to say they wouldn't be able to keep it secret.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how buying Capcom or Square would be a good since the majority of their sales are from either Sony and Nintendo. It wouldn't get them anywhere near the Japanese market as well. You would be essentially destroying a majority of those two companies IPs. The same with Sega as well.

The only company that would make a lot of sense is either Ubisoft or Bungie. Although the latter isn't as big as Bethesda.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Only you can use those streaming services on just about every platform, and the preservation of TV and movies being streamed is not remotely comparable to video games. This also doesn't account for the fact that Microsoft doesn't and hasn't needed to outright purchase these devs and can just license the rights to them.

game pass is available on multiple platforms and thats not stopping.

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to ask why not poach some talent and form new 1st party studios but I guess that hasn't worked out for them too well in the past.

Still, I'd prefer that approach than to buying out a portion of the industry to stay competitive.

It's all about rapid growth, building studios takes a lot longer. Buy content, Increase monthly active users, increase revenue per user.

Big tech is going to change gaming even more than it has. It could be good, I kind of think it's going to suck though. People cheering this stuff on is always incredibly annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
So are Google and Amazon sleeping in your no competitor future or are they going toe to toe with the biggest names in gaming for decades?

And it still seems extremely illogical and hyperbolic for that matter.
They are sleeping right now. MS isn't.

How hard is this to understand? If they wait longer then they will be beaten to the punch and thus it will be harder for them to compete because unlike Sony/Nintendo, they are fighting against same sized companies.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's a pub who has properties I like. More titles on gamepass is good in my books. I'll welcome it with open arms.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft Presents

Silent Hills

A Kojima Productions Game

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Microsoft doesn't need to buy entire publishers to have their games on Gamepass. They can just pay them for it.

They're buying publishers to raise barriers to access these games, despite what their PR might say.
Would have Microsoft gotten the engines of Bethesda? The cloud streaming tech? Would've Bethesda stopped making time exclusive deals with PS? How much would TES cost for Microsoft to get then Day1?

We don't need to like it, but buying publishers and developers make much more sense than just securing content. Getting DMC already cost around 20-30 million and that wasn't day 1 on Gsmepass. Compared to Skyrim that's a small IP, so how much would TES cost? 50-100 million just to get it in GP?

May 17, 2018
Genuinely asking, why do we think Amazon still has intentions to buy studios? Hasn't their whole approach so far been a complete disaster? Or is it because of Luna?

DiresuDR

May 31, 2020
Japan
Microsoft doing to the gaming industry what everyone thought they would do when they first entered the market. Shitty.

Oct 27, 2017
This is totally 100% hypothetical but I've always wondered what happens to Valve once Newell retires within the next ten years, and Microsoft would be one of the most logical companies to swoop in.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
They don't need mindshare in Japan just need Japan developers. Most of those games sell here anyway if console numbers are anything to go by.
The post I replied to mentioned mindshare.

With Japanese games Microsoft needs to do a lot of work because those games sell a lot less on their platforms.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There's absolutely no substance to this rumour beyond it being "corroborated" (without any additional information added, I'd hasten to add) by people who supposedly are in the know.

So either someone puts their credibility on the line and elaborates on what they've heard, or this is just a continuation of what Microsoft has already been saying for months now.
Well they seem to be hinting at a specific target, not just a vague "MS is still looking".

redmambaxiii

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Console Warring, Trolling
So much Sony fanboyism on this messageboard

hopefully I can play remake on a PC soon

Jun 19, 2020
Fuck MS. Thinking they can just buy everyone.
tumblr_pjmzzwotsh1urlhwkm7.gif

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well they seem to be hinting at a specific target, not just a vague "MS is still looking".

Then I anticipate full clarification from all those that are "hinting" outlining exactly what they've heard. But I'm going to assume they're not going to do that and just allow this thread to spiral with ridiculous speculation.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

The issue then becomes similar to Netflix where the content starts getting removed when those publishers get bought by other companies like Google and Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.