• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone hates April Fools' Day, and Microsoft is taking a stand against its own corporate pranks. Microsoft's marketing chief Chris Capossela has warned all employees to not participate in the process of annoying hoaxes on Monday. In an internal memo, obtained and verified by The Verge, Capossela explains that "data tells us these stunts have limited positive impact and can actually result in unwanted news cycles." He encourages all teams inside Microsoft not to do any public-facing April Fools' Day stunts.
"I appreciate that people may have devoted time and resources to these activities, but I believe we have more to lose than gain by attempting to be funny on this one day," says Capossela. That's probably a safe bet, as we've seen some April Fools' Day pranks backfire spectacularly in the past. Google was forced to apologize for adding Despicable Me minions into emails and muting threads a few years ago, causing email havoc for Gmail users. Microsoft has also participated in many April Fools' Day pranks over the years, including an MS-DOS mobile for Windows Phone and Google insults.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/18283674/microsoft-april-fools-day-ban-pranks-internal-memo

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
lPoLY8G.gif

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's one of those things that lost its novelty as more people have become acclimated to internet culture throughout the years. There's literally nothing amusing or clever about it anymore.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
April Fool's day goofs can be fun though, especially the tech ones, and especially when the rumours stir the online and social media hornets nests with buzz and hype lol.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those things that lost its novelty as more people have become acclimated to internet culture throughout the years. There's literally nothing amusing or clever about it anymore.
April Fool's was around way before the Internet, but in general I agree with you. It's just a day for immature man children to behave like idiots, so I've never been a fan.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I like the wild "what if" concepts so it's kind of disappointing to see them stomp down on that, but some are sore disappointments over not being real (or inversely nightmare scenarios you're glad AREN'T real) and given how people can be exceptionally susceptible to blatantly stupid fake stuff it probably is safest to just not do anything.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
What if that is the prank?
lol that was my first thought

yeah, you wake up, hear about all the pranks in 5 minutes, then it's over. Occasionally there's an actually good one but those are few and far between. I don't mind it or anything but I certainly don't mind companies not doing it either.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

Agreed, and we have a similar rule in our office. We have no shortage of fun in our company culture, but April Fools aint it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... just don't fuck with people's communication methods.

Do cool, non-intrusive things. Like the Pokemon Google Maps thing.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
All you need is to be witty rather than obnoxious. Trouble is, quite a few end up as the latter.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The only good April Fools jokes are the stealth announcement ones where the joke it that it's real.

Just putting out fake stuff was never funny. It either needs to be incredibly outrageous or a real announcement that sounds fake at first.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, April Fools on the internet tends to be just shit or, at best, something cool that results in backlash when it turns out not to be real.

There's a few examples that dodge both, but they're few and far between.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Nah, jokes like Tactics Alexander are great, and it brings a big smile in my face coming here and reading the reactions it brings.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Good. April Fools is annoying af. Everyone knows it exists already so they predict it anyway. It's only fine if it's people doing it to each other in a harmless way. Corporations can stay out. Plus there are hundreds of ways to be funny that don't involve messing with peoples' heads.

If Google fucked with my emails I would be pissed lol. How about we replace this dumb ass holiday with something better, like, "gaslight alt-righters April"

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Never liked April Fool's Day in the gaming industry because it always amounts to:

"Hey, you know that dream game you've been begging us to make? We're finally making it!"

"SIKE! April Fool's! You really think we're dumb enough to work on that?"

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Maybe MS is playing some April fools meta here by leaking this to the Verge, just so they can make some convincing April fools announcements and then BAM! You got bamboozled!

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018

This thread is exactly why the implementation of the Mic Drop prank could scare MSoft off of doing pranks forever and ever.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
One year, we made this amazing Guardian Clippy for KI announce. We ended up tweeting it, but there was a larger version planned at first.

"Boy, you really drop your combos!"
"You seem to suck at breaking lights! Want me to school you more on it?"
"Do you know blocking can be done by holding back? Doesn't seem like you do!"

They all get out eventually, maybe just not on that day. =)

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Regarding April Fool's, hopefully there will be one compilation thread for them here again, rather than people making separate topics for each they personally found funny.