• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I amnot sure any tech company/product, currently, is exactly environmentally friendly. I mean, the metals, the plastics, the power use, the scale, the distribution, the waste at the end. It's all poor form as far as I can tell.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geeez Microsoft... You gained alot of good will from me after that superbowl commercial for disabled gamers, but this is all kinds of fucked up. Looks like that public facing side and the rest of you (including the sexual harassment of women at your company) is the real mega corporation you are, who'd have thought?

Any comment from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation about this? Thought they were all about sustainability and renewable energy and all that.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not shocking at all

One of the reasons so many companies loved The Paris Agreement is that there was no legal action or major ramifications against the largest emitters, both corporate and nation.

It's why companies who lobbied against Paris were extremely foolish and why some companies even left pro-oil lobbying efforts that attack Paris Accord.

They have one of the best agreements for themselves they can get, especially the US and other western nations. If Paris Accord crumbles, the next global agreement will 100% go after companies and countries for damages caused.

This effort seems to be two fold

1) Lobby for a tax on emissions
2) Entice companies to join in on this effort by protecting them from legal liability for past emissions.

There is a fair debate on if getting companies on board with such a tax/fee is worth the essential bribe/protection.

Maybe if people actually read ahahahaha just kidding nobody reads anything anymore

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Wait, how is that gaming related?
But that's still bad from them if there is not more to this than we can see currently.
why is this in the gaming side when it has nothing to do with gaming?

I thought it was obvious that Microsoft is a videogames company and that videogames contribute to the genocide that's about to happen in this century, but I guess I was wrong

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why the OP decided not to put the reason Microsoft did this.

Microsoft has said it was motivated to join the CLC due to its support for a price on carbon, which it has backed in Washington state and sees as a key method to drive down emissions. The tech company already charges itself an internal $15-a-ton carbon fee on everything from employee travel to electricity used on its premises. By next year, Microsoft expects its data centers will use 60% renewable energy.

"We are getting extremely impatient, frankly, for policy action on climate change," Lucas Joppa, chief environmental officer at Microsoft, told the Guardian. "We support a carbon fee because we believe it's a policy mechanism that works and accords with economic principles. For us, joining the CLC gives us the opportunity to have this debate at a federal level."

Joppa would not be drawn, however, on Microsoft's support for the idea of handing legal immunity to fossil fuel producers. "There are a lot of details involved and we are interested in being part of the conversation," he said. "The devil is in the detail. We are looking to take an inclusive approach. We need to transition away from the use of fossil fuels but that isn't going to happen without the inclusion of the fossil fuel sector."

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Geeez Microsoft... You gained alot of good will from me after that superbowl commercial for disabled gamers, but this is all kinds of fucked up. Looks like that public facing side and the rest of you (including the sexual harassment of women at your company) is the real mega corporation you are, who'd have thought?

Any comment from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation aboit this? Thought they were all about sustainability and renewable energy and all that.

tip: read the thread before posting

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear sometimes this forum is becoming a parody of itself.

Read the damn article before posting. This seems pretty critical:

Microsoft has said it was motivated to join the CLC due to its support for a price on carbon, which it has backed in Washington state and sees as a key method to drive down emissions. The tech company already charges itself an internal $15-a-ton carbon fee on everything from employee travel to electricity used on its premises. By next year, Microsoft expects its data centers will use 60% renewable energy.

"We are getting extremely impatient, frankly, for policy action on climate change," Lucas Joppa, chief environmental officer at Microsoft, told the Guardian. "We support a carbon fee because we believe it's a policy mechanism that works and accords with economic principles. For us, joining the CLC gives us the opportunity to have this debate at a federal level."

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean climate change damage lawsuit would bankrupt any company. When an entire country is under water who wants to be responsible for it?

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Read the article and do some research before jumping the gun ...

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I guess this is the US way to fight climate change, let the companies run their busines and keep polluting and pay pennies for citizens in blood money

Sure fire track in being neutral by 2030 and free by 2050 lol

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This part is a major yikes:

Facing rising costs from sea level rise, storms and heatwaves, a growing band of elected officials from across the US have turned to the courts to force fossil fuel producers to pay compensation to ameliorate the escalating damages. Many of these claims point out that firms like Exxon privately knew of the consequences of climate change for at least 40 years, long before it was a public issue, only to deny the problem and block meaningful action to address it.

CORPORATIONS are meant for ONE THING and that alone- Profits.

No corporation, Sony, MS, Nintendo, none of them are your friend or are proactively environmentally conscious and part of it comes down the manufacturing processes and who they are contracted out to.

Any and ALL measures to curb environmental footprints, organizing climate conservation movements and pledging to charities and movements that aim to protect the environment do so to conform to government enforced regulations and for the sake of earning positive image and people's good will respectively. And all of that is meant to drive sales and increase the bottom line.

Hbomber's video on "Woke brands" illustrate this point very clearly, albeit when it pertains to sociopolitical movements.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is a funny thread.

Fancy changing the OP and request a title change Bandage ?
I would recommend reporting the OP and have the mods take a look at changing it.

This forum should be informative, and not just make click-baity threads with little details. The fact it doesnt even have the reason Microsoft did what they did comes off as being incredibly disingenuous.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
They likely think the end goal of FINALLY getting a carbon tax is more important. They may be right, we needed one to be implemented decades ago.

The sad part is we must go back and create enticements like this to get larger business on board. I recall one of my dive instructors who worked most of the year as a marine biologist describe the concept of just giving an out to major energy companies to get everyone on board to saving the planet. This was in the mid 90's and that conversation was depressing in general.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- MS joined a group that wants to do some real good (which is why several enviroment agencies are in there), but in exchange, wants legal inmunity for everything they've done in the past against the enviroment (which is why several oil companies are in too)
It basically sounds like past-laundering.

"Yeah we swear we'll help now so please don't penalize us any more."

Looooooooool, fuck that.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I BELIEVE IN PHIL SPENCER.

Pretty shitty decision MS.

Edit: ok, more than meets the eye with this one, glad we got that mod edit.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
After reading a bit, this doesn't sound as bad as Op made it out to be. :/ Still kinda shitty these companies don't get to be punished for the past actions.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically:

A lot of these companies are looking to fight against climate change as long as they are not sued for fucking it up for the past 50 years? Is that correct?

If it is, still kinda fucked up that these companies won't see repercussions for what they've done but whatever.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
this CLC group is bullshit!!!!!

Exxon knew for YEARS that they were causing damage, now to cover their own ass they come up with this "im sorry I got caught" group!

nah, nah... this is bad. I don't care that they are trying to fix the issue now, you HAVE to suffer the consequences of your malicious actions. Joining this group is exonerating Exxon for crimes against humanity. MS joining this group is bad optics and I can't stand for it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing nature conservation groups on that list... I mean. wtf.

Because they know dropping billions of dollars of fines on companies for something that was never taken seriously until relatively recently isn't a way to move forward.

As far as oil companies, they're trying to do something because they're going to be hit the hardest regardless with more and more companies pledging to move to renewable energy, like MS is.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Yikes this thread in a nutshell

7459c584def3a123bf152b9027ac6e0b.gif

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I can tell a lot of people in here aren't reading the article.
I read the article and now can confidently say - Shitty call, MS. They're trying to hide behind this saying "it's all about our support for a carbon tax" and then totally waffle on the question of legal immunity. If you support a carbon tax there are definitely other organizations out there not run but conservatives and oil companies that are far less problematic.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The sad part is we must go back and create enticements like this to get larger business on board. I recall one of my dive instructors who worked most of the year as a marine biologist describe the concept of just giving an out to major energy companies to get everyone on board to saving the planet. This was in the mid 90's and that conversation was depressing in general.

Many people are too addicted to money to change without enticement. Getting companies and people onboard is what's most important here. Once that happens a lot of conservative opposition will dissipate. They only care about money, so give it to them on the condition that they get out of the way.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because they know dropping billions of dollars of fines on companies for something that was never taken seriously until relatively recently isn't a way to move forward.
Why not, exactly?

Seems like they want to fight climate change while preserving corporate power/profits.

Citing the need for a "much-needed bipartisan climate breakthrough", the CLC is lobbying Congress for a gradually rising tax on CO2 emissions, with the proceeds returned directly to Americans. Under the plan, this would enable regulations on coal-fired power plants to be scrapped and fossil fuel companies to be legally inoculated from any legal ramifications.

Joppa would not be drawn, however, on Microsoft's support for the idea of handing legal immunity to fossil fuel producers. "There are a lot of details involved and we are interested in being part of the conversation," he said. "The devil is in the detail. We are looking to take an inclusive approach. We need to transition away from the use of fossil fuels but that isn't going to happen without the inclusion of the fossil fuel sector."

Fucking LOL.

This is a pretty naked attempt to preserve corporate power when they're liable to be held accountable for abusing that power and not a moment sooner.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying no one is reading the article, my issue is trying to gain immunity for past actions is a Ted Faro level of disgusting. Regardless of the carbon based stuff in here, you don't get to erase history.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

As far as oil companies, they're trying to do something because they're going to be hit the hardest regardless with more and more companies pledging to move to renewable energy, like MS is.

Exactly, the wealth of oil companies is going to evaporate. Their time is coming.