• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Last August, Microsoft Japan carried out a "Working Reform Project" called the Work-Life Choice Challenge Summer 2019. For one month last August, the company implemented a three-day weekend every week, giving 2,300 employees every Friday off during the month. This "special paid vacation" did not come at the expense of any other vacation time.

And the results were pretty incredible!

First off, the reductions. Employees took 25.4 percent fewer days off during the month, printed 58.7 percent fewer pages, and used 23.1 percent less electricity in the office (since it was closed an extra day). All of these saved the company quite a bit of money.

Next, the increases. Productivity went up by a staggering 39.9 percent. That means even though the employees were at work for less time, more work was actually getting done!
A lot of the increase in productivity is attributed to the changing of meetings. With only four days to get everything done for the week, many meetings were cut, shortened, or changed to virtual meetings instead of in-person.
Man, it'd be sweet to switch to 4-day weeks.

May 25, 2019
London
Every time I have a three day weekend I think to myself, "This is how it should be all the time."

You have time for chores, family, friends, and then some time just for yourself.

Oct 28, 2017
Japanese workplaces are infamous for inefficient meetings. Would be great to see this experiment tried out in more and more countries to see how the four day week effects various working cultures

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sidenote, regardless of how much time you have off, absolutely fuck meetings. There's a ton of evidence showing how utterly meaningless and disruptive they are.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense for us to work 40 hour weeks when productivity has shot up in the way it has over the last 100 years. It's about time we slash another day off the work week.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think a city in Kansas went to a 4 day school week and saw increased student performance. The GOP instantly wanted to ban the practice, probably to stave off the 4 day work week.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a lot of industries even if you only work 4 days if the other companies you're dealing with work on Friday youll be forced to work on Friday too and end up working 45+ hours

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sidenote, regardless of how much time you have off, absolutely fuck meetings. There's a ton of evidence showing how utterly meaningless and disruptive they are.

It's okay to decline meetings. And it is also okay to bring up the question whether a meeting needs to happen and if the same conclusions can be reached via a simple email / slack conversation.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dreaded when I worked at a call center years ago but the only thing I loved about working there (other than the fact that I got paid) was that it was a 4 day week.

Basically worked 10 hours a day for 4 days so it would equal out to 40 hours still.

Loved working that way.

I would love to do it again (4 day week I mean) but my current Job I enjoy it as it is.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think a city in Kansas went to a 4 day school week and saw increased student performance. The GOP instantly wanted to ban the practice, probably to stave off the 4 day work week.

The thing about the 4 day work week is that it would actually be BETTER for businesses (assuming these small studies are legit). I understand that business owners are going to be skeptical, but I hope that more companies are willing to take the "risk" in the future. There should be no logical defence force for pointless extra work unless your entire life philosophy is based around the spiritual zen of labour.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a 4-day work schedule for almost 6 years now and I can't imagine going back to 5 8-hour shifts a week. Having Friday - Saturday off is awesome and it should be the standard for most industries.

Fridays and Saturdays are also optional overtime days for me with additional bonus payouts depending on the amount of OT you put in during a pay period.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
My current job lets me take every other Friday off. It's pretty amazing when you have a 3 day weekend. I'm probably going to start taking more advantage of it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've always been an advocate for 3-day weekends, even if it meant 5 days of work and then 3 days off. 2 days just isn't enough since at least 1 is reserved for adult responsibilities. It contributes to people feeling like they're not progressing in their personal endeavors, no matter how much money is made.

Dec 22, 2017
I have worked at companies with shitty work/life balance and I swear people still only worked 8 hours a day. If that. People took hour lunches, lots of breaks, and surfed the internet but stayed late to put in facetime. Sure there was crunch time where people actually worked hard, but we were expected to pull long hours each and every day regardless. Fucking sucked.

Company I am at now is the first and only 9-5 accounting job I have ever had, and we all work our tails off in that time. Crazy how being appreciated as a human being with an actual life motivates you.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been at four days for a while. I can't even imagine going back to 5 days a week; having only 2 days a week free seems alien to me now :P

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been an advocate for 3-day weekends, even if it meant 5 days of work and then 3 days off. 2 days just isn't enough since at least 1 is reserved for adult responsibilities. It contributes to people feeling like they're not progressing in their personal endeavors, no matter how much money is made.
Yeah, my husband has a good job and makes a good salary, but partially because of my arthritis, at least 1 full days' worth of his weekend is doing chores I can't do (cooking a week's worth of dinners and vacuuming, in addition to his daily chores of feeding the cats and cleaning up their shitboxes). He has offered to work fewer days for a disproportionately lower amount of pay, but his company refused. And it's hard to find decent-paying part-time jobs in his field. Unlike me, he's creative, so he never feels like he's progressing in writing because he's got so many things he's gotta do.

Thankfully I had the foresight(?) to choose accounting, where there's more part-time work available than most fields, which has helped impede the progression of my arthritis. I work 2-3 days a week at a company that respects me and pays me a great rate and also allows me to work remotely. I work hourly so they can't fuck me with exempt overtime like with full-time accounting jobs. They don't offer health insurance at my hour level, but honestly if we ever needed to go on the ACA, with my pay I could still afford to purchase health insurance for us anyway.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan's work culture is over 40+ hours a week. I wonder what they did to fit in that work.

There's a lot of weird cultural business norms in Japan like not leaving the office until the higher ups/boss have left, which means if your boss decides to stay at work until like 8:30 PM, you have a bunch of people just milling about the office until 8:30 PM.

Although my understanding is this type of thing is starting to finally change.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think 3 day weekends should be the standard. I believe the improvements for Japan because they work until exhaustion, it's like the weeklong equivalent of an all nighter. Sleep is important.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Give us Friday, you corporate worms. Thursday is basically Friday anyway and Friday is basically Saturday, so you might as well let us have Friday.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to decline meetings. And it is also okay to bring up the question whether a meeting needs to happen and if the same conclusions can be reached via a simple email / slack conversation.
It's okay at EA, but at all the (Japanese) companies I worked at before, it most certainly wasn't. Doubly so if the meeting was setup by someone more senior.

Japan's work culture is over 40+ hours a week. I wonder what they did to fit in that work.
In my experience, they're terrible inefficient. A lot of the time is literally just being there.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
In my office, whenever there's a long weekend... We still get the work done! Nothing gets carried over to the next week, everyone fits the same work into 4 days.

However, the bosses would rather blow their brains out before considering this idea.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think this is will be implemented in more businesses very soon. Two months in the winter, two in the summer. That's how it will become the norm at least in office spaces.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I have a three-day weekend, I think, "You know what would be great? A four-day weekend."

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
Why stop at three... If productivity already goes up by 40%, imagine how much it would go up for a 4,5,6, or even 7 day weekend.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i only recently entered a proper career and i requested my contract reflect a 4 day work week. my parents are mortified and gave me the whole "lazy millennial" drill but honestly? 4 days is enough for me to get all my work done, and then have 3 days to actually be a human being. i have chronic health issues and 5 days fucking wrecks me. it takes 2 days to recover so i never actually get anything done except some basic cleaning and odds and ends.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I'd even prefer working four ten-hour days to my current five-day work week, but having one paid day off each week automatically would be amazing, as well.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
And yet the still went back to the old way after, and say they will try and bring it back next year(I doubt it). So they don't really want more happier efficient workers.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I work part-time and can confirm 4 day weekends are amazing. I would suggest 4 also actually inhibits the return to work, at least for me. 3 days sounds ideal.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm not the biggest fan of 3 day weekends, I do support 4 day work weeks. I would prefer having Wednesdays off during the week for a little breather.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Don't people who work as nurses have 3-4 day weekends at the cost of working all day? Can anyone chime in on that?