• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does nobody listen to Phil Spencer when he says they see the cloud as an option alongside, complimentary to, physical hardware?

Its clear that they are able to do both. They've also been clear that the cloud isn't going to replace the experience of dedicated hardware any time soon. Its options.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
They aren't moving to the Cloud, they're just providing another option. And frankly, I think it will remain a niche one for quite awhile. I really don't think there is a massive audience that wants to play Halo on their phones. In the future, if/when streaming can match the experience of playing on local hardware, that might be a different story. As for PS, I see them primarily to the traditional approach of local hardware and great software that worked so well for then this gen, with PS NOW just kinda there in the background.
I hope they do, traditional consoles as a concept are pointless now. PCs and hybrid consoles should really be the only hardware solution in the future.

People argue about performance and visual quality with artifacts. But PC's provide that kind of hardware solutions, and online is free.

Hybrids like the Switch try to balance that with some sacrifice to the visuals with the trade off that you don't need to have an internet connection.
And what about those of us that don't game on PC, or prefer gaming on Console? It seems like some on ERA always seem to act like everyone wants to (or already do) game on PC, but that isn't the case. Speaking personally, I don't want the future to be streaming because it sucks compared to playing on local hardware, I don't want hybrids to be the future because it's a compromise for something I don't really care about (portability) and I don't want PC to be the future, because as great as it is, I always have preferred the affordability, accessibility, and convenience of Console compared to PC (and besides all of that, more options are always better than less). I can't be the only one in this "niche" (100 Million+ PS4's sold says otherwise). I think traditional Consoles still have their place, and if PS4 is any indication, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Even X1 has done well despite the odds, and despite this article's assertions, Microsoft isn't moving Xbox to the Cloud either, XCloud is just another option.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I'm confused, Sony's been putting their games on their cloud service for the entire generation and will continue to do so.

Those are PS Now games. For traditional digital purchases to work in the cloud. You need developers permission. Like I say if Sony were to move the PS Platform to the Cloud by next next gen all those games prior to that next next gen will likely need Sony to ask companies for consent. This is similar to BC for X360 on XB1. The reason why Microsoft isn't allowed to put all X360 games on XB1 is because of Licensing and Agreements.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You haven't been paying attention to the Gamepass discussion? Dumping your AAA flagships on a service for little to no money is thought to be unsustainable as it's currently cannibalizing retail sales in a big way. Microsoft is aiming for the long game though, but we'll just have to wait whether the traditional 'AAA' game has a place on a service like it over more numerous lower budget games with GAAS potential.

Indeed. Also, what cut are the 3rd parties getting? Those final fantasy titles make bank usually but they are being given away for 'free'. What cut are Square getting? What cut are Activision getting? EA?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the far future, I think there's going to be some coming amalgam where one of the leading movie services (Disney+, Netflix) joins up with one of the gaming services for an ala cart thing.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Indeed. Also, what cut are the 3rd parties getting? Those final fantasy titles make bank usually but they are being given away for 'free'. What cut are Square getting? What cut are Activision getting? EA?

Game Pass, Microsoft pays an upfront cost. However for digital traditional purchases that are played on XCloud, its likely similar to Stadia. Where Stadia users buy a $60 Stadia game and the third-party gets 30% cut.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think MS is going to end up destroying the traditional gaming model through Game Pass + xCloud.

I don't say that as a positive/negative, it may well be great for the consumer/gamer.

But I think it's very bad for Sony.

Sony's comfort zone is basically physical hardware and then leaping on hardware mistakes made by MS/Nintendo/Sega to leverage themselves to third party deals. But if that whole hardware model goes kaput ... I think Sony's ability to dominate the traditional console space becomes a giant question mark.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll focus on hardware for now because they sell compared to MS, they also have a huge presence on rotw, where MS is neglible, which i'm guessing isn't really ready yet for cloud/streaming due to how far the servers are and worse connection

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I think it's good to have it as an alternative. For example, if one was a PC gamer then they could now play Gears of War 2 via xCloud (possibly in 4K when Scarlett hardware is put in the data centres) without buying an Xbox console. It really does look like the best option going forward for a lot of people is a PC, xCloud and a PS5.

One thing I do notice however, is that Ubisoft is conspicuously absent from all this. Why are none of their games on Game Pass? Are they planning Uplay+ lite for Xbox in the future? Why can't Microsoft talk EA into absorbing Access into Game Pass?

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There's a slide from one of the recent PlayStation investor meetings that all but says that Sony will support their games on the cloud as of next gen, it's in a distribution model diagram iirc, I haven't been able to find it though; although it has been posted on here numerous times.

edit: here it is

IqhdjiJ.png

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Game Pass to be honest ... it's really changing to value proposition of console games. I think it's something that makes Sony uncomfortable.

Oct 30, 2017
Why should Sony do whatever MS doing?

Sony Home consoles always sells 100M+ only PS3 is exceptional and their exclusives first party games sells like hot cake, so why they need to change what is working pretty darn good for them only because the Competition os taking different route?

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Sony and conservative? I believe i get what you mean OP, but Sony has
A) already a running and working streaming service with download option for 4 years
B) has a dedicated VR Headset with multiple studios working on games on the market and
C) has given its audience a really great selection of new IPs this gen to dive in to.

None of which xbox currently has. Its really great to see that ms wants to go all in and gamers should totally take advantage of ms heavily subsidizing its gamepass program.
So far a lot of xcloud and xgs talk is about the future and it remains to be seen how that shakes out.
Its defintley good that ms and sony are competing. Consumers are noticing.
Sony just doesnt't look conservative to me right now.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I don't think they are specifically moving to the cloud but more so to services similar to the rest of Microsoft. You can look at the way they are handling Windows, Office and Azure as an example. Of course the fact that these take advantage of the cloud is a major factor. They want people to shift to Xbox All Access and Game Pass so they can lock people into services that generate monthly revenues. This has worked really well for them in other areas. In this sense the idea of the old console wars is dead. It's not just in gaming that this is happening, just look at TV, phones and even stuff like photoshop. Nobody is looking for once of sales revenue but how they can get people into their ecosystem long term.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Sony Home consoles always sells 100M+ only PS3 is exceptional and their exclusives first party games sells like hot cake, so why they need to change what is working pretty darn good for them only because the Competition os taking different route?

Companies like additional revenue and I'm sure there are Sony consumers who would like more access options to their library.

The amount of consoles Sony sales isn't proof that they shouldn't do this.

Jan 20, 2019
It will definitively become harder for them to justify that 60 dollar price point towards gamers. Of course I am spreaking rather about the casual audience than the enthusiats.

To them and to any other publisher, what are we going to do, tell everyone they shouldn't charge 60$ because a trilion dolar company is doing a 1$ service with 200 games and risk crashing the entire market?

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Yeah, the title of this thread is misleading. The next Xbox isn't going to be a cloud-only console – that would defeat the purpose of Xbox Game Pass, too.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019

I am sure people said the same about the music industry or in relation to TV/Movies. It's a big move by Microsoft alright but if it pays off it will be huge. People have been saying since back in the 1up days that we were moving towards a consoleless future so while Sony have kicked ass in console sales in the past this does not mean it will always be like this.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They don't have to but as they're a company they want to make money and you make much more money selling services than building consoles which have traditionally are small margin.
Sony is making way way more money with the Playstation division than Microsoft is with the Xbox division. And hardware having small profit margins is an outdated concept, both Sony and Nintendo are making bank with hardware this generation.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Single player AAA games and cloud based systems don't interfere with each other.

What MS is doing is giving people options. I can play on my console, switch to my PC and play on my phone when i'm traveling.

As someone traveling on average 3 days a week i wish sony would give me those options.
Why don't you use remote play ?
You can play the games on your ps4 the only problem is for physical games because you can't switch discs and VR games but other than that it works really well.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Cloud based gaming is the way of the future I believe, but we're still a long way off it replacing consoles as we know them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will definitively become harder for them to justify that 60 dollar price point towards gamers. Of course I am spreaking rather about the casual audience than the enthusiats.

I think we may well be headed to a future where the "I pay $8/month for xCloud, and the only $60 games I buy are my yearly COD or NBA2K" gamer becomes an increasingly large part of the industry creating some kind of new business model.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Does nobody listen to Phil Spencer when he says they see the cloud as an option alongside, complimentary to, physical hardware?

Its clear that they are able to do both. They've also been clear that the cloud isn't going to replace the experience of dedicated hardware any time soon. Its options.

This. I think it's awesome that all games will work with both local hardware and via streaming. It simplifies so many things from a consumer perspective. Do you want low latency and deterministic performance? Get a dedicated device. Do you want to play on the go and/or are not sensitive to higher latency? Get cloud solution. And over time I expect the latter to become a bigger and bigger option as Internet performance improves over the world. You will likely first see countries with great infrastructure getting there as a sign in a couple if years.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to or they are going to get left behind on streaming, PSnow needs a lot of help

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I think we may well be headed to a future where the "I pay $8/month for xCloud, and the only $60 games I buy are my yearly COD or NBA2K" gamer becomes an increasingly large part of the industry creating some kind of new business model.

I was one of those guys back when Modern Warfare 2 released XD I can imagine that a new busniess model will merge with Xcloud. In Europe I can see that for the "I play only Fifa people".

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The way I hope ot will work out is, Sony AAA titles will not be on ps now for at least a year, and if they do, it will be temporary like God of War. This is equivalent to Disney theatrical releases, you're not getting Avengers movie day 1 on disney+

But in addition to the AAA, Sony will invest a lot more on exclusive AA and indie games available on day 1. This will be equivalent of Disney+ originals. I've been hoping for AA games to come back in some form. Subscription service would be a perfect place to bring them back

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Moving to the Cloud and Streaming is always online DRM in a different form.

I'll never understand it. I'm too old.

Not sure about xCloud completely, but I thought the point was this is an extension of what you already own. You can still install and play your game locally, but now you have the option to also play your game on other devices via streaming from their cloud servers.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I don't understand why is PlaystationNow behind Xcloud?They have the same functionality... the main difference is PR.
Xcloud will actually offer new first party game's on day 1 that's the biggest difference

the other thing is PSnow is still 720p hard to believe after 5 years but it is

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Xcloud will actually offer new first party game's on day 1 that's the biggest difference

the other thing is PSnow is still 720p hard to believe after 5 years but it is
It's not only 720p you can stream at 1080p you just need a cuh 7000 ps4

Look I just took this screen on the app sorry it's in french :

Sometimes I feel people dismiss PsNow thinking it hasn't changed since 2013 but it has you can download games too.

The only advantage Xcloud will have is first party games day 1 but if you're not interested in MS offer compared to sony's then what is their factual advantage(s)?

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yea if you don't mind playing your games in 30 fps and 1080p, I rather play in 60 fps myself

Do you honestly think that wont improve—potentially even in short order as streaming tech continues to grow? Games are the most important aspect of a wide-market service like this and Stadia ain't got many. Most of the original Netflix userbase didn't give a crap about resolution either. Performance and library matter most.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly think that wont improve—potentially even in short order as streaming tech continues to grow? Games are the most important aspect of a wide-market service like this and Stadia ain't got many. Most of the original Netflix userbase didn't give a crap about resolution either. Performance and library matter most.
And do you honestly think stadias library won't improve?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I think a big problem with all of this is that the peripherals are all across the board awful. Nobody carries a clip with a full controller around and even then, the clip / phone / controller combo feels awful. The balance is all wrong, it just doesn't feel comfortable to play. We'd need something that'd turn our phones into Switch-like devices (or clamshell / slideout controller attachments) with similar ergonomics before this makes any sense.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big problem with all of this is that the peripherals are all across the board awful. Nobody carries a clip with a full controller around and even then, the clip / phone / controller combo feels awful. The balance is all wrong, it just doesn't feel comfortable to play. We'd need something that'd turn our phones into Switch-like devices (or clamshell / slideout controller attachments) with similar ergonomics before this makes any sense.
I kinda like the clip google is coming out with where the phone floats above your controller

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
You need to try to flexible grips not as sturdy nor good looking but you can really balance the weight of your phone making it more comfortable.