• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can you still just buy a single-purchase standalone version of Office? It's so weird to me that they launched this whole thing into a service when most people use Word/Excel pretty infrequently.
I'll still use office 2019 miss me with that O365
Yeah, the 2019 version. Whether they keep doing that, I don't know but Office is not something I will subscribe to since I use it so infrequently.

You're having a laugh if this is a road to a Windows subscription.
Bought 2016 for $10 through an ex's job. Only thing from her I love.
I think I paid $15-35 for multiple copies of office through school and work over the years and given all but one away to family members. I don't have any incling of desire to ever subscribe to a productivity suite, even if it's rebranded as a lifestyle suite. They sure love to paywall their new features behind the subscription license, but none of them will get me to bite. That aspect makes the whole model pretty abhorrent, IMO.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Teams is the itunes of the professional world. It does some things well, but it is a complete mess to navigate and a lesson in frsutration.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
They switched to Teams at my work recently as well.
Great for video meetings. Much better than WebEx.

But still use Slack for messaging.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teams runs like shit here on mobile, barely updates what's happening, takes way too long. I had to use the browser version on my desktop.

Terrible first impression.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Seeing some people ask why some would keep a sub constantly.

I have Office 365 Home. I share it with my parents and my sister. This gives us all the Office products which I don't use by my family does all the time, and 5 TBs of storage space.

The 5 TBs alone are worth the sub. Office may as well come as a bonus.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yeah but subs just allow people to dip in and dip out. I don't need Word other than when I need to update my resume or draft a formal letter. I have a couple spreadsheets that I use once or twice a year. Rather than just buying a $120 version of Office, most people can just subscribe when they need to and leave immediately.

I guess the idea is that they would rather get those infrequent subscription payments than lose those people entirely to Google Docs.
I mean, I know Google Docs still kinda sucks, but if that's all you're using it for why not just use that?

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
Teams is great, tons of integrations and customizability possible, the whole workspace concept is really awesome

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna stick with Google Docs. Doubt I'll see many people using Teams for personal use though.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
For as much as I shit on Teams when they first rolled it out, it's quickly grown pretty damn powerful
Other apps may do individual functions better, but the integration of the entire suite, and the mobile execution has massively improved.

MS just needs to bite the bullet and let Teams do email and then kill Outlook.

Teams already does everything Outlook does minus the email part.

Teams mobile app is even pretty damn good.

But I'm glad I have Office 365 at work (I'm pretty much a daily Powerpoint, Word, and Excel user at this point). And I'm glad that Teams has picked up so much traction in my otherwise communication technology avoidant workplace.

But I would never pay for an Office subscription for home use. Then again it'd stop me from having a decade-old Office on my laptop and 2016 on my desktop. Still, I don't get enough use at home to feel like it's worth it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
But I'm glad I have Office 365 at work (I'm pretty much a daily Powerpoint, Word, and Excel user at this point). And I'm glad that Teams has picked up so much traction in my otherwise communication technology avoidant workplace.

But I would never pay for an Office subscription for home use. Then again it'd stop me from having a decade-old Office on my laptop and 2016 on my desktop. Still, I don't get enough use at home to feel like it's worth it.
This is the boat we are in and I wanted to ask you guys how this works and what they options are.

Right now, all 4 of us have O365 access (adults each from work, kids each from school). At home on our desktop and laptop we just have old Office 2010 or 13 that was standalone back then. I have an outlook email address i set up to login to windows.

Can I install locally O365 from either our work or kids 365 subscriptions (that option is apparently there), then use my personal outlook email for day to day stuff at home?

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
This is the boat we are in and I wanted to ask you guys how this works and what they options are.

Right now, all 4 of us have O365 access (adults each from work, kids each from school). At home on our desktop and laptop we just have old Office 2010 or 13 that was standalone back then. I have an outlook email address i set up to login to windows.

Can I install locally O365 from either our work or kids 365 subscriptions (that option is apparently there), then use my personal outlook email for day to day stuff at home?

I'm pretty sure you can pick and choose which pieces you install from Microsoft's office webpage, if you log in with your windows account.

But I'm not entirely sure how the login goes when access is provided by an employer or if there even is an enterprise-type agreement.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
My company has transitioned to Teams from Skype pretty much.

I can't believe how trash Skype is in comparison lol

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
and I use zoom for video calls/screen sharing.

The density of information, channel/thread organization, and search in slack are a few orders of magnitude better than Teams.
yea, you shouldn't be using zoom. They don't care about privacy, security and seemingly aren't end to end encrypted.
techcrunch.com

Maybe we shouldn't use Zoom after all

After a year of security and privacy scandals, should we trust Zoom to keep our video calls private?
boston.cbslocal.com

'Zoom-Bombing' Hijacks Online Class Meetings In Massachusetts, FBI Warns

Make sure uninvited guests don't crash your next video conference.

this shit is amateur hour at best, intentionally insecure at worst.

i said it in another thread but chat is marginally better in slack. However i hate having to open a side blade just to see a thread from a chat, vs teams its all right there, when in a public channe in slack or teamsl.

Teams is a collaboration tool with it running on top of sharepoint. So yea if people just put shit in willy nilly its going to be crap.
but at conference calls and screen sharing its no contest teams is better.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Have they said anything about allowing airpods to work with teams yet? It is baffling that I cannot use them on video calls.