• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you still just buy a single-purchase standalone version of Office? It's so weird to me that they launched this whole thing into a service when most people use Word/Excel pretty infrequently.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That's a nice move. I'm an O365 personal subscriber so I'm excited.

I haven't used Team. Slack works well enough. Discord for gaming stuff.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
techcrunch.com

Microsoft brings Teams to consumers and launches Microsoft 365 personal and family plans | TechCrunch

Microsoft today announced a slew of new products, but at the core of the release is a major change to how the company is marketing its tools and services
Office 365, which has long been the brand for the company's subscription service for its productivity tools like Word, Excel and Outlook, is going away. On April 21, it'll be replaced by new Microsoft 365 plans, including new personal and family plans (for up to six people), at $6.99 and $9.99 respectively. That's the same price as the existing Office 365 Personal and Home plans.
These new Microsoft 365 Personal and Family plans will include access to Outlook and the Office desktop apps for Windows and macOS, 1TB of OneDrive storage per person (including unlimited access to the more secure OneDrive Personal Vault service) and 50G of Outlook.com email storage, Skype call recording and 60 minutes of Skype landline and mobile phone calls.

And since this is now Microsoft 365 and not Office 365, you can also get Windows 10 technical support with the subscription, as well as additional security features to protect you from phishing and malware attacks.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you still just buy a single-purchase standalone version of Office? It's so weird to me that they launched this whole thing into a service when most people use Word/Excel pretty infrequently.

Yeah, the 2019 version. Whether they keep doing that, I don't know but Office is not something I will subscribe to since I use it so infrequently.

You're having a laugh if this is a road to a Windows subscription.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, subs make more sense for businesses, but this way Microsoft doesn't have to support legacy software and gets people to keep paying.
Yeah but subs just allow people to dip in and dip out. I don't need Word other than when I need to update my resume or draft a formal letter. I have a couple spreadsheets that I use once or twice a year. Rather than just buying a $120 version of Office, most people can just subscribe when they need to and leave immediately.

I guess the idea is that they would rather get those infrequent subscription payments than lose those people entirely to Google Docs.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Our office moved from Slack to Teams recently. It's overall worse, there's much less functionality, but it handles video meetings quite well and the integration with Outlook and Office is pretty handy.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hate teams. their video call feature is ok, but its a pain in the ass to navigate overall.

skype for business was much better. and skype before they took lync and branded it skype was even better.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Skype is so baffling. What's the point with Teams pushing forward then, just a user base thing with Skype. It's not quite Google hilarity but close.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I think generally a lot of folks like Slack better for it's extensibility. Really easy to use it as a hub for many internal integration hooks.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I use Office 365 + Teams + MS Suite at work, and it's all great.

i hate teams. their video call feature is ok, but its a pain in the ass to navigate overall.

skype for business was much better. and skype before they took lync and branded it skype was even better.

Man, I fucking hated using Skype. Our company has been a Lync/Skype for Business company for ever, but we piloted teams about 2 years ago, and then rolled it out company wide about 6 mos ago, but most people still used Skype. We went 100% remote 2 weeks ago because of the lockdown, and Teams has been a life-saver. Skype is slow, bug riddled, the text editor is shitty and out of date, it can't handle images or file transfers in any modern way, group chats would be delayed, error messages wouldn't be helpful just "Your message was not delivered..." Etc.

Skype for business was good for how it handled telephony, which was really seamless, and in meeting rooms. But 95% of Skype -- for us -- was using it as a work IM tool, and it was horrible for any normal work like file sharing, screenshots, sharing code/copy pasting anything, etc.

I liked Teams because I always used Slack for freelance, and so I was used to the Slack-way-of-doing-things when I jumped onto Teams.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, is this rebranding also being done with Office 365 for businesses and organizations? My non-profit that I volunteer for uses Office 365 ProPlus.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't see much reason to subscribe for regular people. I use Office ALL the time for work and I do like it but I haven't ever really found the need to use it at home. I can't imagine a ton of people really needing Excel, PowerPoint, etc. at home to the point of paying for it instead of usin a "good enough" free version like Google Sheets or Apple Keynote

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use Office all the time for work and hate it. Wonder how they are going to mess around with the interface / location of tools some more...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I use Office 365 + Teams + MS Suite at work, and it's all great.

Man, I fucking hated using Skype. Our company has been a Lync/Skype for Business company for ever, but we piloted teams about 2 years ago, and then rolled it out company wide about 6 mos ago, but most people still used Skype. We went 100% remote 2 weeks ago because of the lockdown, and Teams has been a life-saver. Skype is slow, bug riddled, the text editor is shitty and out of date, it can't handle images or file transfers in any modern way, group chats would be delayed, error messages wouldn't be helpful just "Your message was not delivered..." Etc.

Skype for business was good for how it handled telephony, which was really seamless, and in meeting rooms. But 95% of Skype -- for us -- was using it as a work IM tool, and it was horrible for any normal work like file sharing, screenshots, sharing code/copy pasting anything, etc.

I liked Teams because I always used Slack for freelance, and so I was used to the Slack-way-of-doing-things when I jumped onto Teams.
yeah skype for business had issues because it was basically lync which sucked. i remember the file sharing issues you are talking about.

the issues i have with teams is mostly ui and user experience issues. i miss calls by outside numbers, because it doesnt pop up a notification and i have to literally navigate to their phone app to answer the call. if im not wearing headphones, i miss them altogether. navigating the app during a meeting is ridiculously hard. they need to support multiple screens.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't see much reason to subscribe for regular people. I use Office ALL the time for work and I do like it but I haven't ever really found the need to use it at home. I can't imagine a ton of people really needing Excel, PowerPoint, etc. at home to the point of paying for it instead of usin a "good enough" free version like Google Sheets or Apple Keynote

Microsoft have a free version too, the online web versions. Haven't used them much so can't comment on quality or features but imagine they are basic.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
So has Teams gotten any worthwhile updates? Back when I worked IT a few years ago, leadership moved everyone to Teams from slack and a week later the whole thing was reverted. Never heard so much complaining at the office before.

Oct 26, 2017
I would never subscribe to this, but I just bought the 2019 Office since the free alternatives for Excel kept crashing on me. I figure I will use it for a long time on, so it's worth it.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I hate teams. The only thing Microsoft does better than anyone else for me is Excel. I wish there was something as good.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
How many re-brands does Microsoft need to do.

They'll keep doing as things change.

Right now the money is in the cloud, businesses software, and the OS. Azure, teams and windows is what they call it for now.

Teams and AzDo needs better integration. I used to be able to paste emails with images into user stories and now the images don't copy over have to paste into paint (lol) and then copy paste into azdo.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's like an alternate reality in this thread compared to my experience. Everyone I know loves teams. Some schools are using it here during the lockdown as well.

llin

Dec 6, 2017
Interesting, is this rebranding also being done with Office 365 for businesses and organizations? My non-profit that I volunteer for uses Office 365 ProPlus.

Got this in an email:

Office 365 is becoming Microsoft 365

New name, same great value, same price.

Don't worry—you don't need to do a thing. Your product services, apps, and features will stay the same, along with the price. Your subscription name will update automatically in the admin center and your monthly billing statements on or after April 21, 2020.​

Office 365 Business Essentials
is now
Microsoft 365 Business Basic

Office 365 Business Premium
is now
Microsoft 365 Business Standard

Microsoft 365 Business
is now
Microsoft 365 Business Premium

Office 365 Business
is now
Microsoft 365 Apps for business

Office 365 ProPlus
is now
Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's like an alternate reality in this thread compared to my experience. Everyone I know loves teams. Some schools are using it here during the lockdown as well.

I love Teams too

Got it on my phone too so incase I need to speak with my co-workers/team.

Office365 is great but personally I still use Office 2007 since I only use Word and Excel for personal use.

Office365 is fine for work.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My brain is having trouble with who thought their Teams brand should be used for an individual user wanting Word on their Acer? Why would this person who just uses Office alone think they want a subscription to Teams?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
My brain is having trouble with who thought their Teams brand should be used for an individual user wanting Word on their Acer? Why would this person who just uses Office alone think they want a subscription to Teams?
They'll be getting a subscription to "Microsoft," not "Teams."

Teams comes with your Microsoft 365 subscription.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

They probably wish they had teams for consumers ready to go right now. People are looking for ways to stay in touch with groups of families and friends.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Teams, while clumsy in some areas, is phenomenal for my work. Once you wrap your head around the intent of the product, it is much easier to use.

Not perfect, but a lifesaver during this lockdown and its is ridiculously simple to use for meetings, calls, and file sharing. At least within my circles.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Teams would be so much better if it didn't take control of your mic and override your settings for gain and levels.

If it didn't do that and had a discord type slider to adjust for sensitivity it'd be great.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Teams, while clumsy in some areas, is phenomenal for my work. Once you wrap your head around the intent of the product, it is much easier to use.

Not perfect, but a lifesaver during this lockdown and its is ridiculously simple to use for meetings, calls, and file sharing. At least within my circles.

Yep. Going from Skype to Teams is a revelation.