• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2019

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So im completely alien to xcloud.

Is it essentially netflix streaming but for games ? So I can play whatever games are loaded on their server on my phone with a controller ? Free with my gamepass?

I assume this works for android tvs as well?

Yes to everything...

I don't know about android tv though.

So whats going on with xcloud for windows? I can't say I have any interest in playing console games on a phone... but would love to use it on my old laptop.

Its coming but later (no date has been given yet).

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's crazy that the Verge don't require/use any citation in their articles. Like, where is Tom getting this info from? Why not cite your sources? Tom says you just need to be a GPU subscriber and have the XBOX Game Pass (Beta) app, but you would think MS would provide more info than that, such as regions, and how to use Xcloud, etc. I guess I'll take Tom's word for it and assume this is going to work in Canada, otherwise he would have obviously said otherwise.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish everything connected to my iPhones hotspot didn't run like a 56.6k modem.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Very true about screen size, but I'm an iPhone user so my phone can't do double duty as a phone / streaming device unfortunately.

That's kinda what I mean. Your iphone is already a normal convenient size for use as a phone, so might as well go bigger for a gaming device. That would be my thinking.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So im completely alien to xcloud.

Is it essentially netflix streaming but for games ? So I can play whatever games are loaded on their server on my phone with a controller ? Free with my gamepass?

I assume this works for android tvs as well?
Yup you've got it right as long as you have Game Pass Ultimate you'll be able to play all of them in an instant.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Any region restrictions?
I assume that the availability will be the same as when the service launches.
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Is it the same games currently in the xCloud beta or will there be some new titles?

I've been in the beta for a while...and have Ultimate

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet i can see how it works on my internet before buying a controller

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Microsoft should've added a clause in their bailout of Apple all those years ago where Apple couldn't shut out Microsoft from their future devices/platforms.

I hope they add a mode where you can use xcloud just as a screen but keep your controller synced to your home console so you can still chat and have better latency.
Imagine that, they bail them out then Apple turns around and does this. No loyalty, Steve Jobs would have allowed it.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone suggest a good, reasonably priced, controller, to use with this? I tried syncing up my DS4 via Bluetooth with my tablet, but the latency was terrible (I tried it with SteamLink). Would I be better off getting an XBox One controller, or something specifically made for Mobile?

Last edited:

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States
Meh...

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
Getting really close to buying a budget Android phone + Razer Kishi as a dedicated streaming set-up.... someone talk me off the ledge. It's either that or an Android tablet.

Needless to say, looking forward to the full launch.
I would recommend getting one of those clamps that attach your phone to a standard Xbox controller instead. I got my Kishi yesterday and I was a bit disappointed with it.

It has tight dimension requirements for your phone to avoid damaging the USB-C port. I have a Pixel 4 XL and I had to remove both the case and the screen protector(!) before I can assemble the phone with the controller.

The buttons and triggers are quite mushy and in a tight layout due to the overall small size of the controller. I found it much less comfortable to use than the Xbox controller or the DS4.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda what I mean. Your iphone is already a normal convenient size for use as a phone, so might as well go bigger for a gaming device. That would be my thinking.
Ah gotcha, fair enough. Yeah, I'm still a bit torn. The biggest thing drawing me towards the Kishi is just the form factor (Switch) and direct controller connection vs. Bluetooth. I tried out xCloud on my iPad and the latency is pretty damn good, but that direct connection seems like a big benefit for streaming.

Obviously still mulling it all over!

I would recommend getting one of those clamps that attach your phone to a standard Xbox controller instead. I got my Kishi yesterday and I was a bit disappointed with it.

It has tight dimension requirements for your phone to avoid damaging the USB-C port. I have a Pixel 4 XL and I had to remove both the case and the screen protector(!) before I can assemble the phone with the controller.

The buttons and triggers are quite mushy and in a tight layout due to the overall small size of the controller. I found it much less comfortable to use than the Xbox controller or the DS4.
Appreciate the impressions. Have you found the USB-C connection to be helpful in reducing input lag?

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Testing the service for a few months now and although it's not perfect, I've spent several hours playing Ori, Forza 7 and few other games. This is going to be a great service (if you have a good internet connection...)

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Now I really wished the new controller would go on sale. It sucks that the launch Xbox One controller don't have bluetooth...

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
PSA - if your phone can output to HDMI it is like having an xb1... That goes to 720p

Playing like crazy on my TV from my S9 as I don't have an xb1

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
Ah gotcha, fair enough. Yeah, I'm still a bit torn. The biggest thing drawing me towards the Kishi is just the form factor (Switch) and direct controller connection vs. Bluetooth. I tried out xCloud on my iPad and the latency is pretty damn good, but that direct connection seems like a big benefit for streaming.

Appreciate the impressions. Have you found the USB-C connection to be helpful in reducing input lag?
I used it for PS4 Remote Play yesterday and overall I don't think it's any different from a DS4 in terms of latency. I mean I'm already streaming games from the network, I'm not expecting a low latency at all!

I'm getting a bit worried that the USB connection can actually damage my phone in the long term. Thinking about returns...

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020

youtu.be

I didn't think this would be good! - Razer Kishi

Check out Displate's metal posters at https://geni.us/diplatescDid Razer make something that I would use to play mobile games? Also, it has USB-C so that's a...
Found a video from LTT on the Kishi and I find the comments fairly accurate, hope this will help.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Me in Australia.

source.gif

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think this September launch date is day and date with Series X launch. Series S in November before Black Friday.