• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Soon, Microsoft is set to expand Xbox Game Pass cloud streaming to the web, bypassing Apple's dumb iOS store rules and bringing xCloud to PCs for the first time. However, what about some of xCloud's current limitations?

Reports have suggested that Microsoft is planning to upgrade the Xbox cloud streaming servers from Xbox One architecture to Xbox Series X architecture over the course of this year, and we may have started to see some of the fruits of that labor. Trusted sources recently sent us this screencap from the Xbox streaming test tools for developers, which comes with a dev overlay for benchmarking network connectivity, as well as resolution

It appears as though Microsoft is already in the process of testing 1080p streams for xCloud, which would bring it in line with Google Stadia's baseline "free" tier and other similar streaming services.
microsoft-testing-1080p-xcloud.jpg

xcloud-hellblade-720p.jpg

Above you can see the comparison in resolution quality when compared to the 1080p shot sent to us from a trusted source. Our xCloud testing app is crushing the resolution because I'm too far away from a Microsoft data center that supports this 1080p test, presumeably.

www.windowscentral.com

Microsoft is testing 1080p xCloud streams for Xbox Game Pass cloud gaming

One of xCloud's primary limitations is about to go away.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Interesting! Glad to see it. I always assumed this is what they were waiting for with PC streaming and such. Yes, the next question is definitely if and when 4K streaming will come. I do wonder whether this is ACTUALLY using Series X blades or if this is just getting more out of the existing Xbox One blades.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are switching to Series X architecture, higher resolution is just one improvement we should. Perhaps even more significant to user experience will be way faster load times and better frame rates.

I am curious how they're doing it. Because original discussions sounded like they'd be using Series X blades to essentially emulate four One S consoles? Excited to learn more.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dam ok now when we getting 4k series x streaming?
It's very far off. As long as xcloud is based on Xbox one S hardware it won't be.

I never use xcloud as of now because it sux

720p was trash 1080p will be better
Hopefully the bitrate will be much improved
But most important. The hardware used. Xbox one s is Uber trash

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Soon, browser streaming from low powered laptop will be a reality.

Good shit.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very far off. As long as xcloud is based on Xbox one S hardware it won't be.

The rumor is that they are transitioning to Series X hardware for XCloud, and that this is a side effect.

"Reports have suggested that Microsoft is planning to upgrade the Xbox cloud streaming servers from Xbox One architecture to Xbox Series X architecture over the course of this year, and we may have started to see some of the fruits of that labor."

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The rumor is that they are transitioning to Series X hardware for XCloud, and that this is a side effect.

"Reports have suggested that Microsoft is planning to upgrade the Xbox cloud streaming servers from Xbox One architecture to Xbox Series X architecture over the course of this year, and we may have started to see some of the fruits of that labor."

I didn't even think that was a rumor, just the actual confirmed plan. Though I wonder how much the chip shortage is going to effect the plan

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I didn't even think that was a rumor, just the actual confirmed plan. Though I wonder how much the chip shortage is going to effect the plan
The good news on that front is for the Xcloud blades they can use chips that did not quite make the cut for home consoles. Basically some of them will have less CUs but will be overclocked to compensate. Extra noise and heat is of no concern in a data center.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think it will be even better when more Xbox games support native keyboard and mouse inputs on console as well honestly. That was one thing about Stadia and Luna that interested me a lot, that I could play with keyboard and mouse on PC or with a controller on my phone with no real disconnect

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Interesting! Glad to see it. I always assumed this is what they were waiting for with PC streaming and such. Yes, the next question is definitely if and when 4K streaming will come. I do wonder whether this is ACTUALLY using Series X blades or if this is just getting more out of the existing Xbox One blades.
If they are switching to Series X architecture, higher resolution is just one improvement we should. Perhaps even more significant to user experience will be way faster load times and better frame rates.

I am curious how they're doing it. Because original discussions sounded like they'd be using Series X blades to essentially emulate four One S consoles? Excited to learn more.

The good news on that front is for the Xcloud blades they can use chips that did not quite make the cut for home consoles. Basically some of them will have less CUs but will be overclocked to compensate. Extra noise and heat is of no concern in a data center.
Using series x to emulate 4 one s consoles will only be viable for last gen games and even some of those are not 1080p.

The new and shiny series x games that will entice people to pay for xcloud will be series x only, that on top of the other benefits like loading times, fps and resolution being much better.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using series x to emulate 4 one s consoles will only be viable for last gen games and even some of those are not 1080p.

The new and shiny series x games that will entice people to pay for xcloud will be series x only, that on top of the other benefits like loading times, fps and resolution being much better.
Yes but they can also emulate One X on the Series X to get old games with those benefits. I wonder if it will become a perk for Ultimate or what not.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Phew. I hadn't had chance to check out xCloud yet (iOS user) but 720p streaming in 2021 was a serious bummer and I've moaned about it plenty.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
1080p is very nice for tablets and phones! I even find 1080p nice enough on my 15'' laptop screen more often than not. Anything beyond will be something for later, IMO. Also wondering how XSX production shortage might affect the xCloud server upgradings given that the chip and semiconductor industry are just so tight in supply now.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming to PC when?

I don't care about 1080p. 720p > 0p when I'm out of town and all I have in my iPhone and this Surface Pro 3 laptop... neither of which are currently capable of doing xCloud.

Seriously... why no PC client yet? Why?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yes but they can also emulate One X on the Series X to get old games with those benefits. I wonder if it will become a perk for Ultimate or what not.
One x is just one s with higher resolution, it wont run new games, have better loading times or framerates either.

And I also do not remember them saying the series x could emulate the series x to where it makes sense, if it is 1 to 1 emulation and you cant even emulate two one x consoles, what is even the point?

Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One x is just one s with higher resolution, it wont run new games, have better loading times or framerates either.

And I also do not remember them saying the series x could emulate the series x to where it makes sense, if it is 1 to 1 emulation and you cant even emulate to one x consoles, what is even the point?
The One X is not just a resolution buff over One S. Often the graphics settings are much higher. Plus One X has performance modes in many instances that runs at higher frame rates.

And the Series X offers inherent loading improvements, even when emulating One S or One X, because of the SSD. Tests at the start of the generation shows massive loading time
improvements on games that were not even optimized.

I am confused what you mean in the second part when you say "Series X could emulate the Series X"? The Series X console runs backwards compatibility at One X settings, if that's what you mean.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The One X is not just a resolution buff over One S. Often the graphics settings are much higher. Plus One X has performance modes in many instances that runs at higher frame rates.

And the Series X offers inherent loading improvements, even when emulating One S or One X, because of the SSD. Tests at the start of the generation shows massive loading time
improvements on games that were not even optimized.

I am confused what you mean in the second part when you say "Series X could emulate the Series X"? The Series X console runs backwards compatibility at One X settings, if that's what you mean.
I edited it, I meant with one series x blade you wouldnt be able to emulate 2 one x consoles, and at that point there is no scalability advantage, just do series x games anyway.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't it be quite hard to upgrade to Series X based hardware since they are selling out all the time?

Is the bandwidth requirement any different than Netflix streaming at comparable resolutions?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I've been testing their Android app and have been extremely impressed with how well it works. The input latency is mostly negligible, the stream quality is excellent too, seems like a real, viable alternative to play some games.

Can't wait for the windows app too, I feel like that will work better than playing on my phone.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Microsoft really about to become the de facto leader in game streaming by simply letting Google and Amazon trip themselves up.

Amazing

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be quite hard to upgrade to Series X based hardware since they are selling out all the time?

Is the bandwidth requirement any different than Netflix streaming at comparable resolutions?

no the servers don't use exact XSX hardware and the board layout is different since it's designed to run inside a server blade.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you stream on a desktop/laptop yet? That's one thing that Playstation really has on Microsoft at this moment you can stream PS4 and PS5 stuff from your consoles directly on to your desktop devices as well as doing PS Now streaming. For as much as people try to clown on PS Now's offerings not being as robust as Gamepass the fact that EVERY single game on that library is streamable to basically any device you have is fantastic.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Can you stream on a desktop/laptop yet? That's one thing that Playstation really has on Microsoft at this moment you can stream PS4 and PS5 stuff from your consoles directly on to your desktop devices as well as doing PS Now streaming. For as much as people try to clown on PS Now's offerings not being as robust as Gamepass the fact that EVERY single game on that library is streamable to basically any device you have is fantastic.
This is true but Sony need to offer a mobile app for PSNow as well. 1080 streaming would also be welcomed like MS is doing soon.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
they are doing something like that
www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s Xbox Game Streaming app for Windows includes touch controls, gyro, and more

This app lets you stream games from Xbox consoles and xCloud

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
it's coming with the web/ios webapp release. it's literally in the first post

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Was interesting to look at the data figures on the screen shots. Around 13Mbs for 1080p should be doable for a lot of folks. If 4k is going to be around 50Mbs I can see why they're avoiding it for now, that would be a bandwidth/data cap nightmare for some

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Microsoft really about to become the de facto leader in game streaming by simply letting Google and Amazon trip themselves up.

Amazing

I wouldn't quite throw the white flag on Amazon yet, but Google certainly seem to be imploding.

Microsoft have been smart with xCloud thus far - being slow and deliberate, making sure to manage expectations at every stop along the way, starting it off as a toss-in beta feature for Game Pass Ultimate, etc.

I suspect they'll stay at 1080p for a long while, because I think Spencer still sees xCloud as a supplement to a console or PC experience, and not (yet) a primary means to engage in the Xbox platform. I think 1080p would mostly cover that goal for now. 720p always felt a bit too low, but made sense as a starting point to test.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I almost feel like the Gyro testing is bigger news for me and could warrant a thread. I would love to see the next Xbox controller have gyro support, then all three major companies would have gyro support, and gyro aiming would become more mainstream.

Gears 5 on XCloud using Touch Controls already has Gyro Aiming.

Check it yourself.

Sadly, no support for using with Controller though.

Last edited:

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

Up until the XSX release, you could stream every title you own via the Xbox Companion app on PC. It still works with the X1 consoles, but for the XSX specifically, we have to wait for this new app to launch it seems.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those people are usually the ones who don't actually use game streaming and are only it in for the platform wars.

Go to placed like the xcloud subreddit and you will see how many people have issues with xcloud due to poor device support/software issues.

But this news is good and hopefully xcloud will be better soon.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently users found a way to access this beta for PC without being invited to it. Read that the loading times also improved.

Not going to post links, google it. Haven't tried it because I am not putting my Xbox Account on the line for this.