• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense in a lot of ways for Microsoft to do this with the amount of desktop apps being built in Electron.

Microsoft will pump resources into the Chromium Project which although maintained and controlled is still open source. It is possible Microsoft make their own fork of the rendering engine like Google forked Web Kit to Blink, Microsoft could fork Blink to their own project.

As it currently stands Chrome is more resource and performance heavy than Edge or Safari. Microsoft's priority will be to make their Chromium browser as efficient as Edge is.

It does leave Firefox as the only major browser vendor that isn't working on a WebKit base which make it more important than ever for enforcing standards on the web.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft confirms that Chrome extensions will run on new Edge browser

Microsoft didn't reveal many details about Edge's transition to Chromium, announced last week, but company officials have now confirmed it's aiming for Edge to support Chrome extensions.

"It's our intention to support existing Chrome extensions," Kyle Pflug, a Microsoft Edge project manager, wrote on Reddit in response to users and developers seeking answers about the switch.

"That sounds like the bad guys teaming up." :p

XV3ugtA.png

Last edited:

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly it's uwp that makes edge a much better browser for laptops. It's extremely efficient for battery life and power. I honestly want other companies to make uwp apps because they're amazingly good for laptop battery life.
This is why I use Edge. Looked into some battery life tests and it consistently nabbed first place.

Another example is the built-in Windows 10 video app which absolutely crushed VLC in battery life tests wherever I looked.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If needed, we can make a new thread rather than bumping this rather old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.