• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
People, this is also for non-Microsoft Store gaming. Microsoft wants to know how they can improve the gaming experience for all users.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
They can start by catering to PC gamers and not Xbox owners. I don't care about streaming xbox games to my pc. Majority of PC gamers around the world don't even know anything about an Xbox one or Playanywhere. Or gamepass or wtvr else you are trying to do nowadays to compete with Sony.

Understand your audience. Create a separate client that is not tied to system updates and your entire os. Release a big first party PC focused killer app that will actually differentiate your store from other clients. Or at least make some attempt because its not 2013 anymore. You are competing with a lot nowadays. And don't moneyhat anything for some advantage because that is not competition.

And slowly build from there.

Its still baffling how long MS has waited to do something in the pc space. They jumped in with the Epic approach of moneyhating some timed exclusives like RoTR and slowly gave up right after. Epic, Bethesda, GOG and even itch.io have stepped up since. Steam has also grown so much over the past couple years. MS has done so little it could be a little too late for them.

I bet the reason they have been so quiet lately with their pc plans is because they are waiting for the streaming stuff to launch. All the gamepass and bc people are hoping for will just be a streaming only solution of some kind. They'll force pc users into a subscription to stream gamepass/360 stuff and none of it will be your local games. Its gonna be a disappointment.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me get rid of Game Bar easily, completely and entirely, on a system level, without having to deal with bullshit that most people won't bother. Plus any game enhancements that come with it.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Let me get rid of Game Bar easily, completely and entirely, on a system level, without having to deal with bullshit that most people won't bother. Plus any game enhancements that come with it.

It's weird that you have to go to registry to completely remove it. You can turn most of it off in the settings. Don't understand why MS doesn't accept that some people don't want the Game Bar.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
if they dont know by now theyre never going to know so good luck i guess

pretty sure they did this after gfwl

we see how that turned out

great listening to feedback microsoft

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I bet the reason they have been so quiet lately with their pc plans is because they are waiting for the streaming stuff to launch. All the gamepass and bc people are hoping for will just be a streaming only solution of some kind. They'll force pc users into a subscription to stream gamepass/360 stuff and none of it will be your local games. Its gonna be a disappointment.

tenor.gif

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody thinks it's a feedback thread, they just want to ensure that any conversation about improving the Windows Store doesn't happen.
the windows store will never improve. All these fucking years and it still fails at basic tasks like downloading. Just kill the fucking thing. Start anew , make a new store and don't make the store intrisically linked to the OS.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
They can start by catering to PC gamers and not Xbox owners. I don't care about streaming xbox games to my pc. Majority of PC gamers around the world don't even know anything about an Xbox one or Playanywhere. Or gamepass or wtvr else you are trying to do nowadays to compete with Sony.

This. It isn't hard MS. They know what they need to do. They just don't want to do it.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, ditch UWP entirely. It sucks and I hate it. Just get rid of it, please.

Going onto Steam isn't happening, so focus on making Windows Store usable.

Also, make the Windows Store app actually useful for downloading games easily and efficiently. Quit clunking it up and making downloads take frickin' forever (and wind up corrupted).

Stop forcing vsync and triple buffering on borderless fullscreen.
They don't.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This. It isn't hard MS. They know what they need to do. They just don't want to do it.

At E3, Phil Spencer mentioned this.

"I'd say our early work in... Xbox Live stuff for Windows was well intentioned, but anybody that's a PC gamer (I play a lot of PC games myself) saw this kind of imposter console work coming over," says Spencer. "You've probably seen us slow down on some of the progress we've made on some of our apps, and some other things because we're reworking how we're thinking about the PC audience to try to be more reflective of the PC community that's out there instead of trying to pull people into the things that come from the console space."

Spencer also notes that efforts like Discord and Xbox Live integration is an example of "recognizing infrastructure that exists on the PC side, apps that exist, and services that exist and try to be inclusive of the things PC gamers are about." Microsoft is slowing down on changes to its Xbox app right now, but "the long-term goal is for us to be much more native in the PC gaming environment, as opposed to this thing that feels slightly different than what PC gamers are looking for."
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/14/17463288/microsoft-xbox-app-pc-gaming-phil-spencer-e3-2018

Oct 25, 2017
Stop charging €10 extra on Windows Store compared to every AAA game on any other store. Even the monetization king Call of Duty launches at €60 on PC. Stop trying to make €70 happen, Microsoft.

If Play Anywhere makes this impossible, offer a "PC Only" option.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
And today we talk to Sinfamy about things that won't happen..

With Microsofts recent push for pc gaming (Gears Tactics, Age of Empires 4, Play Anywhere, acquiring studios like Obsidian and inXile) I don't see them backing down.
Play Anywhere is far from recent, and I doubt they will have any major, personally aquired studios like Obsidian make anything that can't be played on Xbox One.

the windows store will never improve. All these fucking years and it still fails at basic tasks like downloading. Just kill the fucking thing. Start anew , make a new store and don't make the store intrisically linked to the OS.
Pretty much this. Microsoft has had ages to at least make it look like they care about their reputation on PC, and they've squandered it.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Microsoft in Reset Era: Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Honestly my only requests would be:

- Bring Xbox One BC to the PC for those Xbox and 360 games that do not have a PC port.
- Make a separate gaming store for high end games. For the casual user it can be quite confusing to see Forza Horizon 4 alongside Spotify, Netflix or cellphone games.

With all its faults I am grateful for Microsoft's initiative of putting their games on the PC. The Killer Instinct PC announcement was one of the best moments of this gaming generation for me, and then Forza. Some of my most played games this gen were windows store games, and no way in hell I would buy an Xbox or a console for a handful of games. Sony and Nintendo could follow suit... even with the caveats of the MS store or worse I would tolerate their stores on the PC.
I fully agree with this. If MS can meet these bare minimum requirements, they should easily see more success on PC.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Some thoughts:
  • Make it easier to multi task while gaming. Not all games work well with alt tabbing out of them. Perhaps Microsoft can do something at the OS level to make this task more smooth. Also, they could make edge browser accessible while gaming similar to Steam overlay with web browser. Picture in Picture video while gaming would be nice as well.
  • Bring Gamepass to PC
  • Do something, anything to improve Windows Store for gaming.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I want from MS is storefront that is to them what Steam is to Valve.

A completely separate storefront from Xbox that is about PC games.

No shovelware.

Linking Windows Account should be entirely optional.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It's also not realistic. It's like asking why isn't Sony offering Windows games. They want you in their ecosystem is why.
I don't see why it isn't realistic. Sunset Overdrive launched on Steam and Windows Store simultaneously.

It would be nice if they included benchmarking tools into Windows 10 so the layperson can still easily give devs the data that they need to optimize.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might be an opportunity for Windows to have a good place to gather all your games and launch them, irrespective of purchase platform. Imagine if it could auto-detect everything you've bought on Steam, Origin, Epic, etc and make it coherant?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this sounded familiar. Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself and the feedback is actually taken on board.
yeah i was just about to post, "this seems familiar."

I don't know what this whole thing is for. It wouldn't take them more than ten minutes on google, or fifteen on bing, to find out what people's problems are.

in any case, I doubt anything will come of this

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Get more games that are currently Steam-exclusive into the Microsoft Store.
Any PC game should be available through Microsoft Store and also Play Anywhere.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Before we even get to the Windows Store, how about fixing the 100% disk bug that's shipped on literally every PC I've ever encountered since Windows 8? And maybe you could give me some assurances that if I turn Windows Update back on it won't instantly install something that breaks my whole computer? How about giving me a way to remove Cortana or disable any of the new 'features' I don't like without having to muck around in PowerShell and enterprise-exclusive Global Policy settings?

How the hell do you think I can trust you enough to use your propietary app storefront, when you don't even seem to understand how to make an OS anymore? Give me DRM-free EXEs or fuck right off.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
As a Windows 10 home owner, I don't care about Microsoft Store.
My main complaint is system updates that download when I'm actually using my computer for games or just work. I don't know if they fixed this yet (I want a manual update option back, this is not a phone).

In order to disable updates on my PC I had to disable half a dozen tasks in Task scheduler and use a firewall to block some of the ports, disable some services too and Windows still somehow managed to restart its update service. I ended up disabling the entire Task scheduler to stop my computer from updating until I want to update.

Another issue is the 100% disk usage that happens. Ive seen it happen with multiple PC . Finally actually disabling telemetry services when I disable them.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Something I've thought about before, if Microsoft could have some guarantee of quality for games on their store, that'd be a massive point in their favor. Like, a guarantee that the game will run at a stable 60 FPS, at some settings configurations, on multiple mid-range devices, as well as a guarantee that the game will work perfectly out of the box. It'd go in hand with how hard UWP is to modify.
That requires the kind of awareness I frankly don't see Microsoft having, but considering jack all comes out on the store aside from their own output, they're in the position for it.

And honestly, I can't really get behind Microsoft approaching PC gaming because everything with their current approach implies that they don't care about servicing an audience they've left untapped. They care about PC gaming as a way to leverage other plans they have. Like how all of this started with them trying to expand the audience for UWP and apps on the Windows Store, or how they shoehorned DirectX 12 into the Windows version of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (which was still running the original source code from 2006) for no real reason other than to add to the list of DirectX 12 games. And considering they're backpedaling on a lot of what they were trying to push when they released Windows 10, like UWP and Cortana and all that, I wonder where Microsoft's PC gaming focus is going to end up.

No, but with Xbox One getting KB+M support you could see games being made with PC first in mind.
I honestly don't know what Microsoft's angle is with that. They made a big deal out of KB/M support arriving on Xbox, which implies they're going to do something big with it, but I don't see them making more native PC games because they can now sell them on Xbox. That just sounds cartoonishly petty.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
What do you expect it's the main complaint?

It's not something related to Windows 10 itself, which is what Microsoft is asking about and it's very clearly specified in the OP.

So instead of useful suggestions, this thread is being flooded by crybabies who can't even read a bold line in the OP.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Release your games on other PC platforms and steer away from the Windows store.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better prices on Windows Store would be nice.

I doubt it's going to happen for it's exclusives. Even Destiny 2 on the PC was hard to find sales. I'm looking at Artifact on Steam and so far I have seen one sale.

What I want is Game Pass officially supported. Not sure how they could, xCloud?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Multi monitor support should be way more stable, especially with monitors with different resolutions. UI is a mess after switching around (activate/deactivate cloning). And of course the Windows Store need to die, at least as the only way to get certain games.

I like, however, that they're asking.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
How about they stop changing all my windows settings every update that fucks with my games.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know what Microsoft's angle is with that. They made a big deal out of KB/M support arriving on Xbox, which implies they're going to do something big with it, but I don't see them making more native PC games because they can now sell them on Xbox. That just sounds cartoonishly petty.

the games are all going to have to have multiple input methods including touch controls for streaming.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Let the XBox folks handle the store and don't limit content based on region.
My country's XBox Live store has almost no games in it...

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
They do?

I don't really change many Windows settings to be honest..what do they change that makes your games not work anymore?
Last update screwed with my audio drivers, I've had previous updates that kept turning some settings on that gave me 30fps across all my games. It's not as bad as it used to be but its still left a bad taste in my mouth.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You all promised me you would ensure quality UI/UX work would be championed so I can stop yelling at people at work.

Also as to why these surveys or feedback requests are done, welcome to product management and new team structures with new leaders. As a product or feature owner you're often told to go gather fresh customer feedback to justify your feature requests and priorities.

And who said people aren't listening to various forums? I always have, and have fixed a few things along the way based on feedback from various forums in my career.

Now obviously feedback is just one of many data points that drive initiatives these days.

Also was hoping to see bigger ideas from ERA. Think past client wars and instead think about what could help improve gaming no matter where a game is sold or available. Would love to hear more stuff like this.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they improve the Windows Store for next gen.. With Epic joining the race and probably others planning to.. MS needs to make sure they got all bases covered.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
DS4 support to the same level as X1 controller support would be nice. The more plug and play with controllers, the better.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Give us a mpdeor install option to install just the services we need for gaming. I build gaming on PCs for just gaming. Even if I go through and turn off all the unneeded services the next update reverts everything.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
I didn't see one at the link so I posted a feedback to get rid of UWP from games. It's pending moderator approval. Now we will see if Microsoft actually wants to listen to gamers.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking gaming on Windows (10) itself and nothing to do with the Microsoft Store...:
  • Give users the option to uninstall the Xbox app and all other Xbox related apps. (My PC is not a console.)
  • Decrease DirectX 11/12 and OS overhead. Stop adding gigabytes of features like the Xbox Dashboard and instead focus on making the system leaner with even more lower-level access to hardware.
  • Get rid of the need to install multiple Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables. There's like 2 (x86 and x64) for every version of each year!
  • While Shade Caching is a nice feature, now supplied by both GPU vendors and Steam itself, I wish this was handled on an OS level.
  • Have Microsoft Touch and Pen Keyboard disabled by default! (causes crashes on certain games)
  • Create a Legacy DX10/9 or earlier complier that can rewrite the code to something low level like Vulkan/DX12/Mantle

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Steam posts are essentially port begging now. We didn't allow port begging for WiiU games even people hate the hardware and software. I don't understand how playing monopoly for Steam is so popular here.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt it be better if people would actually just give actual suggestions instead of having drive-by posts, or being snarky because they havent liked what the Windows Store has been so far? Honestly, I think it makes the website look bad with this type of behavior.

A few things they could do is make it more integrated with Xbox which I do think they will do. Also, I would like to be able to add their games to Non-steam games without jumping through hoops. I add them to steam because I have a special setup with my controls.

Another thing they could do on that front is make it to where you can customize controls. As an example steam allows you to configure your controller on all games, similar to what Xpadder used to do. If they did, i wouldnt even need to use Steam for my control method.