• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Microsoft adding civilization is an excellent move. I was pretty surprised Google didn't attempt to get it for stadia considering it's a popular franchise that would be minimally affected by poor connections.

Games like this and Football manager that have no element of reaction speed in the gameplay are prime for streaming services.

Sounds like they're rushing the launch tbh. XB1 versions in 2020 is bad enough but only phone streaming is hardly ideal. And how are you going to stream games on a bus? And are you going to carry around a controller in your pocket or are you going to play with touch controls? No I don't understand their focus here at all. Seems like they're going after the Switch market or something.
I have Stadia, it works great, fantastic even, the problem there is the tiny games library and pricing. MS sits on the best solution ever with Gamepass included but if they're focusing on mobile phones then they're the ones shooting themselves in the foot imo, I thought that was just a beta thing.
Leave it in the oven until it's ready.

Dude it's a preview. It also makes sense to test on the most difficult devices. Work out the kinks on all the different mobile devices because the installed consoles or PCs you know will have decent WiFi or be wired (which they'll suggest doing on release).

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
And then start to beta test? Seems pretty smart that they are beta testing now. Why wait when you can do it already.
I'm not talking about the beta, I barely even know it exist. I'm talking about the upcoming launch.

Is it launching with XSX hardware and mobile+PC+"chromecast" streaming?
Or is it launching with XB1S hardware and mobile streaming?

I think they should wait until they have the first example working or they'll just get a bunch of bad PR for not having everything in place yet. We've already seen others fall into that trap. Sony didn't have the streaming quality. Google didn't have the games and pricing. MS seems to launch without the hardware and streaming devices.
But Sony is ready for round two... Is MS ready for that?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I'm not talking about the beta, I barely even know it exist. I'm talking about the upcoming launch.

Is it launching with XSX hardware and mobile+PC+"chromecast" streaming?
Or is it launching with XB1S hardware and mobile streaming?

I think they should wait until they have the first example working or they'll just get a bunch of bad PR for not having everything in place yet. We've already seen others fall into that trap. Sony didn't have the streaming quality. Google didn't have the games and pricing. MS seems to launch without the hardware and streaming devices.
But Sony is ready for round two... Is MS ready for that?

I think the problem you're having here is looking at the preview and assuming that's exactly what they'll do with the final release.

The preview is a preview, a test.

They're doing mobile because it allows them to test on the hundreds of mobile devices that exist in all of the countries the operate in worldwide. That's why mobile is the focus.

The device testing is easier for them because they know conditions for the XB1S, XBSX will be more predictable than all the mobiles that's why they're saving that bit. They can test that with their own QA staff.

You not even really knowing about the preview is intentional. It means any problems don't get widely reported as defects in an unfinished product because remember...

...it's just a test.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
When have I said that Stadia isn't rushed? It's obviously very rushed lol
But why is MS repeating the same mistakes? I know it's a beta now but it's launching soon, no? So why not just launch it when it's ready instead? with XSX hardware in servers, with PC and some dongle streaming etc

Idk why Microsoft won't release the xcloud we'll have 2 years from now this year.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i still dont understand what Project X is.

as far as i can tell, its just streaming an xbox game to a mobile device?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
i still dont understand what Project X is.

as far as i can tell, its just streaming an xbox game to a mobile device?
www.xbox.com

Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) | Xbox

Get a first look at Xbox Game Streaming. Stream your favorite Xbox games from the cloud or console straight to your Android phone or tablet.

All the details there. Project xCloud is streaming from datacenters, console streaming is streaming from your own console at home.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
when
I think you should speak for yourself. Stadia was obviously not ready for market as it shows.
No, you have to be far more objective with these technologies and what their aiming to accomplish. For example, Stadia offers things that xCloud doesn't and visa versa. Saying that Stadia is rushed is more of a commentary on the paradigm we're in versus one that may change or that we are headed to. Yes, Stadia is missing features at launch, but what it gets right is things that xCloud hasn't even mentioned about supporting like 4K60 on your TV, or no upgrade costs. On the other hand what xCloud gets right is their model (at least for not during the beta being free) with how many games they have and that it works across multiple android devices without sideloading apks.

At the end of the day, judging these services against each other will always happen as it should. But blanket statements that Stadia is rushed without stating what it does right is a little disingenuous. Also, have you had the opportunity to play Stadia?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem you're having here is looking at the preview and assuming that's exactly what they'll do with the final release.

The preview is a preview, a test.

They're doing mobile because it allows them to test on the hundreds of mobile devices that exist in all of the countries the operate in worldwide. That's why mobile is the focus.

The device testing is easier for them because they know conditions for the XB1S, XBSX will be more predictable than all the mobiles that's why they're saving that bit. They can test that with their own QA staff.

You not even really knowing about the preview is intentional. It means any problems don't get widely reported as defects in an unfinished product because remember...

...it's just a test.
Fair enough.
So when is it launching? I googled and found some articles vaguely saying 2020, even early 2020, but it sounds like there is lots of testing left to be done.

About the test, someone said it was well received but if the limited tests are intentional so bad reports don't get widely reported, how do we actually know how well it works?
The preview isn't available here yet but ping tests to azure servers show 60-150ms latency.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
when

No, you have to be far more objective with these technologies and what their aiming to accomplish. For example, Stadia offers things that xCloud doesn't and visa versa. Saying that Stadia is rushed is more of a commentary on the paradigm we're in versus one that may change or that we are headed to. Yes, Stadia is missing features at launch, but what it gets right is things that xCloud hasn't even mentioned about supporting like 4K60 on your TV, or no upgrade costs. On the other hand what xCloud gets right is their model (at least for not during the beta being free) with how many games they have and that it works across multiple android devices without sideloading apks.

At the end of the day, judging these services against each other will always happen as it should. But blanket statements that Stadia is rushed without stating what it does right is a little disingenuous. Also, have you had the opportunity to play Stadia?

Have you read any of the editorial on stadia, do a google search for 'Stadia rushed' almost every outlet given the opportunity to review the product used that word to describe it.

It's not like people are just saying it for fun!?

Also I think there's a very obvious and good reason to not mention 4k60 considering a larger proportion of consumers will not have the connection or data cap to support it.

And xCloud preview doesn't require sideloading FYI. Its on Google play.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Have you read any of the editorial on stadia, do a google search for 'Stadia rushed' almost every outlet given the opportunity to review the product used that word to describe it.

It's not like people are just saying it for fun!?

Also I think there's a very obvious and good reason to not mention 4k60 considering a larger proportion of consumers will not have the connection or data cap to support it.

And xCloud preview doesn't require sideloading FYI. Its on Google play.
We agree on the xCloud thing not needing to sidload. You can reread what I wrote. But, I do believe their is an anger against Anything and everything Google which translates into biased editorials. If you try this thing and try to stay objective, you'll question the integrity of those outlets like I did.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Fair enough.
So when is it launching? I googled and found some articles vaguely saying 2020, even early 2020, but it sounds like there is lots of testing left to be done.

It'll release when its done, the point is to not release it unfinished and get the criticism of being rushed thats been fired at Google.

Also if there's an intention for mobile adoption waiting works in Microsoft's favour, better to wait for increased 5G penetration in western economies too.

About the test, someone said it was well received but if the limited tests are intentional so bad reports don't get widely reported, how do we actually know how well it works?

One way to know how well it works is to take part in the preview.

Another way is to wait until the release, when it's done. If its bad at release you'll hear about it, if it isn't you'll hear about that too. That's the beauty of releases.

The preview isn't available here yet but ping tests to azure servers show 60-150ms latency.

It sounds like you really want to know how well it's going to work. In which case I'd say try the preview, if you can't wait for the release. But pinging an Azure server tells you nothing really...

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think at some point we'll have to do an xCloud FAQ on resetera. I feel there is still a lot people need to know. (And there is a lot we don't know yet either)

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Also I think there's a very obvious and good reason to not mention 4k60 considering a larger proportion of consumers will not have the connection or data cap to support it..

I don't want to enter the debate as they are both completely different products but xb1s cannot do 4k and the internet cap and speed argument for a MAJORITY of customers is simply not true.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
We agree on the xCloud thing not needing to sidload. You can reread what I wrote. But, I do believe their is an anger against Anything and everything Google which translates into biased editorials. If you try this thing and try to stay objective, you'll question the integrity of those outlets like I did.

I think people are convinced streaming works functionally as in being able to play the games (on a good connection and minimal latency).

The main references toward being rushed were about he size/quality of the games library, missing basic features that were touted by Google and the business model (which relies on you paying full price for games that can leave the catalogue).

XCloud is unreleased but it is potentially in a better position because:

• Library size/quality: this is going to be backed by MS game studios and the existing deals between MS and third parties.
  • Features: Microsoft already has all the features of an online gaming platform because they've been running one for almost two decades.
  • Business model: MS already has a popular set of subscription services that they already have said they'll roll the xCloud provision into. So you know that at the very least you'll get Xbox game studios in the subscription as MS has said.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I don't want to enter the debate as they are both completely different products but xb1s cannot do 4k and the internet cap and speed argument for a MAJORITY of customers is simply not true.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Lol, XB1S can output full 4K video which is all it needs to do for streaming....

And with respect to the data caps, I'm aware this is a definite issue in the US where lack of competition limits people to around 1-3 broadband carriers depending on the state they live in, with unlimited plans being hard to come by.

Admittedly this is less of a problem outside the US, but even outside the US 7GB / hour to send 4K video is a lot of data to move. I'd work at getting 1080p / 1440p before looking at 2160p. The visual gain isn't really worth the hassle in terms of the compute required by the provider and the download speed needed by the user.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Sweden, aka Why would I want to live there? ;p
Nearest Azure server seems to be Ireland at this point according to that test site, but MS has actually bought some land in SkellefteĂĄ, if they would put up an Azure server there things could get really good.

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
Northern Sweden, aka Why would I want to live there? ;p
Nearest Azure server seems to be Ireland at this point according to that test site, but MS has actually bought some land in SkellefteĂĄ, if they would put up an Azure server there things could get really good.

Microsoft just opened two Azure centers in Norway. You should be good once the service officially launch in your country.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I think people are convinced streaming works functionally as in being able to play the games (on a good connection and minimal latency).

The main references toward being rushed were about he size/quality of the games library, missing basic features that were touted by Google and the business model (which relies on you paying full price for games that can leave the catalogue).

XCloud is unreleased but it is potentially in a better position because:

• Library size/quality: this is going to be backed by MS game studios and the existing deals between MS and third parties.
  • Features: Microsoft already has all the features of an online gaming platform because they've been running one for almost two decades.
  • Business model: MS already has a popular set of subscription services that they already have said they'll roll the xCloud provision into. So you know that at the very least you'll get Xbox game studios in the subscription as MS has said.
There's a lot of misconceptions about their business model which quite frankly is an echo chamber of those people that want a Netflix for gaming model. Why would you think the games can leave the catalogue? We don't say that about other digital games we purchase and if we do we don't put out under a microscope like the community does with Stadia. Of course you have to pay full price - why wouldn't you? Don't you pay for full price digital games that you but on Xbox or Playstation?

I fully expect MS to be in a better position for gaming as a whole since they are one of the market leaders. But let's not pretend that their service is equal to Stadia's, because it's not on a technical level, yet.

Many of the features are "coming" soon or at a later date, and that what Google is telling us. If these features which are not there yet is what you consider rushed, consider that Xbox just got folders for games. The point is that games are working, party system is there, and it has achievements whole they work on providing other features. Tequila Works president just said that Stadia is readying some really cool features that people will be amazed about. My guess is that these are the features that will be launched around the time that X1X and PS5 release and tie down their respective systems. But that is just speculation. I bring this up because we are all speculating on the future of these two platforms without much information other than empirical evidence and from what what insiders know about both. You know what hasn't been talked about on MS' end? xCloud at 4K. But again, all speculation.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
There's a lot of misconceptions about their business model which quite frankly is an echo chamber of those people that want a Netflix for gaming model. Why would you think the games can leave the catalogue?

Because the rights to those games belong to their publishers. The same way films leave Netflix, songs leave Apple music, games leave Gamepass. Games will leave the stadia catalogue. Admittedly Google has committed to allowing existing purchasers to maintain access to them after they go.

We don't say that about other digital games we purchase and if we do we don't put out under a microscope like the community does with Stadia. Of course you have to pay full price - why wouldn't you? Don't you pay for full price digital games that you but on Xbox or Playstation?

For most of us on this forum the games on Stadia are available to purchase on consoles we already own for less money. Additionally growing numbers of us are subscribing to services that allow us to access a larger (and arguably better) catalogue than Stadia has for a nominal monthly fee,

I fully expect MS to be in a better position for gaming as a whole since they are one of the market leaders. But let's not pretend that their service is equal to Stadia's, because it's not on a technical level, yet.

I will never suggest Microsoft's unreleased service is on a par with Stadia because its unreleased. It's why I underlined 'p'otentially' in my last message, MS hasn't stuck the landing yet, they're just in a better position to do it compared to Google so far.

Many of the features are "coming" soon or at a later date, and that what Google is telling us. If these features which are not there yet is what you consider rushed, consider that Xbox just got folders for games. The point is that games are working, party system is there, and it has achievements whole they work on providing other features. Tequila Works president just said that Stadia is readying some really cool features that people will be amazed about. My guess is that these are the features that will be launched around the time that X1X and PS5 release and tie down their respective systems. But that is just speculation. I bring this up because we are all speculating on the future of these two platforms without much information other than empirical evidence and from what what insiders know about both. You know what hasn't been talked about on MS' end? xCloud at 4K. But again, all speculation.

I get it, Stadia works. I'm not trying to downplay what Google have done because they've released something that works and does what it says.

It's just that Google could've figured out a couple of mistakes they've made here. They didn't need to release when they did.

I think Google thought they had to be first to this market before MS and Sony get involved. In reality streaming in the long-term is inevitable, Google should've worked to get this initial release right. Although a lot of outlets called it rushed, the biggest 'rush' in my eyes was the business model.

They should've looked at Gamepass/Netflix and tried to figure out a way to pay publishers whilst giving their audience access to a catalogue for a subscription for a monthly fee. An example being something like having access to credits for games each month (just throwing an idea out, you get the picture). Because inevitably people were irked by the idea that they could spend $50 for something that lives in Google's cloud on a service that may not exist in two years from now, yes this could be hyperbole, but it could be true too.

I imagine Google will eventually introduce a subscription because recurring revenue in technology products is the trend at the moment but it would've been in their interests to build that model from the outset for at least some of their games.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works, you are
connecting to actual Xbox1s hardware. Unless I'm really out of the loop and the 1s can play games in 4k?

It's still good, but better hardware needs to be installed for 4k gaming which I imagine will be after next gen starts

There's a reason they're targeting primarily mobile currently. Also, think about the statement from Matt Booty that we'll see cross gen games for about the first year or so of the Series X, it's not a coincidence.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Good point. What you see today will look quite a bit different in 3 years. What I'm looking forward to is those UI and control options that will eventually be implemented for touch devices. Theres a selection of games on there that will work fine with touch controls and latency. No controller or anything else needed.
Definitely. Standard touch controls will be enough to make xCloud my go-to "Daily Login" app for some console games when I have time to kill away from my Xbox.

I already use PS4's Remote Play on Android to knock out my Fortnite Save the World login often.

And then as you mention, plenty of console games that could actually be played with traditional controls virtualized, or ideally devs utilizing platform tools to make unique, optimized touch controls.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason they're targeting primarily mobile currently. Also, think about the statement from Matt Booty that we'll see cross gen games for about the first year or so of the Series X, it's not a coincidence.
I know, it's a great strategy. I was just refuting that 4k is currently possible

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I know, it's a great strategy. I was just refuting that 4k is currently possible

Yea, a game running at 4K resolution definitely isn't happening until late 2021 at the earliest. That said, MS can do what Stadia is doing and actually send a higher quality stream (up to 4K/60) to your device even though the actual resolution of the game will likely be between 720p and 1080p. I do think that'll throw some people off, just like the Stadia stuff has.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Definitely. Standard touch controls will be enough to make xCloud my go-to "Daily Login" app for some console games when I have time to kill away from my Xbox.

I already use PS4's Remote Play on Android to knock out my Fortnite Save the World login often.

And then as you mention, plenty of console games that could actually be played with traditional controls virtualized, or ideally devs utilizing platform tools to make unique, optimized touch controls.

Yep. All I know is Slay the Spire could work fine on the go. And that game is the most addictive thing in my rotation right now. Any turn based RPG or turn based strategy game would be fine today. For me, streaming was always exciting as a compliment. The games that work well on it will get played on the go. The games that don't work as well on a small screen or on the go get prioritized at home.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xCloud works fine with other controllers, including the DualShock 4. You're all set.
Tried it last night with the Kindle Fire 7 and I think maybe the tablet is the problem. Paired over bluetooth and started playing - the controller was a laggy mess and buttons weren't mapped probably (square was mapped to A). Tried a micro usb cable and the tablet just didn't pick up the controller at all.

X1 controller works perfectly but no one has manufactured a clamp that holds bigger than a phone for Xbox controllers since 2017. Which is bizarre considering the push for streaming.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
As a time-poor gamer I am loving xcloud and would happily subscribe to the service right now. I don't own an xbox having previously owned a 360. Last night I seamlessly switched between Destiny 2, Hitman and Recore over the course of two hours straight wifi gaming from my phone using an xbox pad without a dock, headphones in the headphone jack. And I use a (now) shitty s7 edge. The quality was just fine, the stream barely hiccuped, I installed nothing and it took seconds to get into a game.

It's amazing and I want it to be here now. If they can have it steaming the latest versions of games in the future I would take that all day over owning a box. Clearly that is not going to be for everyone. But for me it definitely works.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Service is great, but I'm not finding a lot of situations where I want to play any games like this in my cell.

Tried side loading to my Firestick 4k to comedic results. Can't wait until this is offered on a big screen

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
As a time-poor gamer I am loving xcloud and would happily subscribe to the service right now. I don't own an xbox having previously owned a 360. Last night I seamlessly switched between Destiny 2, Hitman and Recore over the course of two hours straight wifi gaming from my phone using an xbox pad without a dock, headphones in the headphone jack. And I use a (now) shitty s7 edge. The quality was just fine, the stream barely hiccuped, I installed nothing and it took seconds to get into a game.

It's amazing and I want it to be here now. If they can have it steaming the latest versions of games in the future I would take that all day over owning a box. Clearly that is not going to be for everyone. But for me it definitely works.
Welcome to the streaming future!