• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a fight to the bottom against the "what's a computer" girl?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Reminds me of that commercial where taco bell had people named Ronald Mcdonald talk about their breakfast menu. It's a lot less clever the second time. Especially when Taco Bell beats you to it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Considering Apple's history of PC slander with aggressively annoying Mac vs. PC ads, it's about time.

This isn't the first time Microsoft has directly targeted the iPad and MacBook in their ads. They had a long, super cringey series where Cortana talked to Siri...it wasn't great.

Apple actually hasn't run an ad like that in a while. I think they (smartly) realized that it would be hard to pitch themselves as the cool rebellious underdog after the massive success of the iPhone.

Honestly Microsoft's focus on the MacBook in their ads just seems kind of...unbecoming of a leading corporation, especially since Windows still has dominant market share. It'd be like if Coke took out ads to trash-talk Pepsi.

And yeah, it immediately made me think of the Taco Bell "Ronald McDonald" stunt.

Last edited:

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
We have a town here in the Netherlands called "Appel" (Apple), and Samsung handed out a lot of Galaxy's there for free one time.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that PC DOES WHAT campaign where people scream deliriously about garbage PCs that do things basically every computer does (even your phone)?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't the first time Microsoft has directly targeted the iPad and MacBook in their ads. They had a long, super cringey series where Cortana talked to Siri...it wasn't great.

Apple actually hasn't run an ad like that in a while. I think they (smartly) realized that it would be hard to pitch themselves as the cool rebellious underdog after the massive success of the iPhone.

Honestly Microsoft's focus on the MacBook in their ads just seems kind of...unbecoming of a leading corporation, especially since Windows still has dominant market share. It'd be like if Coke took out ads to trash-talk Pepsi.

And yeah, it immediately made me think of the Taco Bell "Ronald McDonald" stunt.

To be fair talking to Siri is never great, especially if you're Scottish.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft should be worthy of being taken seriously, though. They shouldn't act like clowns. Most of their ads are embarrassing.

Apple hasn't done this in years. Meanwhile Microsoft continues making petty Surface Pro ads like they don't realize they are pretty much irrelevant to Apple these days.

Microsoft is being very "I think about you all the time, Apple!" while Apple is "I don't think about you at all."

They're not behaving like the leader of the market, even though they still have dominant market share. It's an ad campaign built on insecurity: it's not enough to be the standard plumbing on every PC, they desperately want to be a platform consumers consciously choose, like Apple is. And they just aren't, and that bugs the hell out of them.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
kinda reminds me of

MW-HK359_macvsp_ZH_20190526183411.jpg

but not as funny

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that MS is dissing Macbook when they made an even more unrepairable laptop with Surface Laptop. Literally everything is glued, you can't disassemble it without destroying it first.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Should have hired someone named Mac Oss, cause I ain't touching that Surface as long as it runs Windows lol

Chub717

Alt account
Banned
Jul 11, 2019
This type of cringey marketing just makes me think "Yeah I'll pay an extra $200 just to go with a company that treats me with more respect".

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
So which one should I buy. I feel like I should buy a Mac after seeing that commercial because it was mentioned so often.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite was the Samsung "iSheep" commercials. Like, sure, spend millions of dollars to insult a massive number of potential customers.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Should have just shown people trying to type on that piece of crap MB keyboard.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't a great commercial, but it seemed harmless to me.

The SurfaceBook is a really slick laptop and they didn't really do a good job showing that. But like I said, it felt harmless to me.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Apple's history of PC slander with aggressively annoying Mac vs. PC ads, it's about time.
Sometimes I forget that these "Genesis Does" types of diss commercials still exist outside of consoles.
Yeah, it's sometimes off putting seeing these messages, but I will say with the whole "university laptops - what is with the MacBooks" thread, the macs are not as great as they used to be. I could definitely support MacBooks quality years ago as I had a a hp and dell (sells have gotten significantly better now), and they were just built kind of cheap where the chassis would feel flimsy, or molding would crack. Early to mid 2000's MacBooks in my experience with a couple of them were really shined as being a premium product that you could feel like was durable and felt better. Current MacBooks have fallen with keyboard issues, lack of ports on their more recent models (I don't even need legacy or different ports, just more than 2 USB-C ports on a MBP), glued internals (can't even replace basic ram or hdd yourself, and the meh touchbar).

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There has been a 4 year window for companies like Microsoft to ridicule Apple's keyboards, though at least that window is closing since Apple finally figured out how terrible they are for 2020 refreshes.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine paying a company to make this commercial and then releasing it to the public.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
MacBooks are overpriced garbo and I'll never own another one, but this is stupid.