• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here are the multiple GOTY winners from Microsoft with how many awards the game won and the percentage of total awards for that year.
Sunset Overdrive - 5 1.22%
Forza Horizon 2 - 4 0.98

Halo 4 - 20 5.19%

Gears of War 3 - 5 1.24%

Halo Reach - 4 1.37%

Gears of War 2 - 8 3.92%
Fable II - 8 2.94%

Halo 3 - 6 3.8%
Mass Effect - 4 2.53%

Gears of War - 34 30.09%

Halo 2 - 11 20%

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
So 'GOTY' is about emotions, and emotions only come from story. Got it. Why is 'wowed' purely down to story? Why is emotion purely down to storytelling? Surely you don't mean that? Why is this so limited? Why am I still here?

This is my take on it and my opinion. First of all it depends on how much empathy and apatahy an individual has and imagination.

So movies = Passive Media
games = Interactive Media.

Only games and VR games can suck you in and put you in control. It makes you believe you are in control and it is up to you to finish the goal and purpose of the game.

The game with the best implementation of purpose = satisfying.
I think story and emotional investment and all that jazz are just tools you CAN use, but in general it is about PURPOSE.
(the fact why you play games is a total different story altogether)

Like what is the goal of the game. What is the story about. How much in control are you? WHat are your options. Without purpose it is just chaos. You need to be moved.

IMHO I think this is why Gaming has trencended passive media and will continue to do so, until we can play games like Sword Art Online or Ready Player One etc.. of course this is just my own take.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps Microsoft's new push with first party will make the difference, but their games haven't actually been getting better thus far. If anything the last period has been about as bad as ever.

I looked it up for another thread the other day, but only two Microsoft first party games this generation have a 90 or above on metacritic, FH3 and FH4. If that isn't dire, I really dont know what else you could call dire. Sony had three 90+ last year alone

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
How is that any different from movies? How many scifi or horror movies have won best picture?

How is this a response? How many of us complain about the fact that scifi, horror and especially animated films don't win those awards? We do it all the time on offtopic? Why are the flaws of the film industry the 'standard' for the gaming industry? You don't find that absurd? Its wrong in film, and its wrong in gaming.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Forza Horizon 3&4 more than half of the games on that list.
Both are 90+ on MC.

So I'm good.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Much like literally every other kind of award for popular media, GOTY awards should not be used as some definitive measurement of any game's quality or impact.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking for myself, the answer is their services and value offering is fantastic. Of my favorite or most played Xbox One games, a grand total of zero are MS first party efforts.

And controller. I can align with your reasons though. I also think my most played would be third party. I can't really say it's a bad thing too...i don't even take advantage of Sony's efforts save for their top franchises. Hhmm..

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You aren't wrong. But the fact that this is true reflects poorly on the gaming industry IMO. VERY poorly. That there truly exists a silent "genre lock" on GOTY awards is absolutely embarrassing.
Yeah, I think it'll always be a RPG, an action shooter, or just something open world.

A racer would have to be extremely unique to even be considered. Definitely not something like Gran Turismo or Forza.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How is this a response? How many of us complain about the fact that scifi, horror and especially animated films don't win those awards? We do it all the time on offtopic? Why are the flaws of the film industry the 'standard' for the gaming industry? You don't find that absurd? Its wrong in film, and its wrong in gaming.
Could it be that some genre are just more niche than others? I don't like racing games, therefore I would never pick it as my GOTY. Is that wrong?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And controller. I can align with your reasons though. I also think my most played would be third party. I can't really say it's a bad thing too...i don't even take advantage of Sony's efforts save for their top franchises. Hhmm..
Yeah their controller is incredible too (though this generation I feel all three have great controllers).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean Nintendo only have one game on that list too. What's the conclusion there? That Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Smash Ultimate, Fire Emblem whichever were all not worthy and Nintendo also need to up their game?

I think 'consensus GOTY' is kinda silly. Microsoft have released many great games this gen, never mind like nearly 20 years.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Nintendo only have one game on that list too. What's the conclusion there? That Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Smash Ultimate, Fire Emblem whichever were all not worthy and Nintendo also need to up their game?

I think 'consensus GOTY' is kinda silly. Microsoft have released many great games this gen, never mind like nearly 20 years.
But what was the last GOTY caliber game they released? Because since Halo 3, I don't think they have done that.

May 17, 2018
You aren't wrong. But the fact that this is true reflects poorly on the gaming industry IMO. VERY poorly. That there truly exists a silent "genre lock" on GOTY awards is absolutely embarrassing.

It's not only a gaming industry issue. The last comedy to win best picture was Annie Hall in 1977.

Some genres just don't hit the general public the way others do. It's just the way it is.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No, not necessarily story. BotW has the same shitty story as every other Zelda game and yet it easily won 2017. It can be as much about characters, setting, atmosphere or just the world building in general.
I mean yes. I am a gameplay first person but contexualization of that gameplay needs to be in place for.

I actually don't need a strong, ever present plot. Just an interesting world, lore, characters. Great and expressive art style, music. BotW has all of those.

It's true that most racing, sports games etc. don't have that and that's why they're never really on my GOTY list

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So GOTY sorta means nothing now or then. I couldn't count how many times I heard or saw GOTY on a game back then.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But what was the last GOTY caliber game they released? Because since Halo 3, I don't think they have done that.

Well I really, really like Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest. They are certainly very recent. Lots of people also like Forza Horizons which I haven't played as much as I'd have liked but from what little I have I certainly don't doubt their qualities either. It's admittedly not a long list but again Ori 2 is out next year and that might be the most exciting confirmed 2020 game for me ATM.

I'm not saying it's great overall but this seems far too... arbitrary and inconclusive a premise for this discussion. Like few people would argue against the Galaxy games being platforming perfection yet they might as well not exist according to that list since they released in very, very competitive years. Kinda why lists are frowned upon in general I think.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Could it be that some genre are just more niche than others? I don't like racing games, therefore I would never pick it as my GOTY. Is that wrong?

Plenty of genres are Niche. Racing isn't one of them. And yes, it would be wrong if you were a reviewer choosing GOTY awards and you refused to consider entire genres of games based on their genres alone. I would hope if that was the case you would at least inform your viewers of that bias so they would know to ignore or take into account the fact that several games in the runnings quality doesn't actually matter due to their genre.

It's not only a gaming industry issue. The last comedy to win best picture was Annie Hall in 1977.

Some genres just don't hit the general public the way others do. It's just the way it is.

I dont challenge that its more than an gaming industry issue. I just challenge that genres like Racing are Niche, and that the "General Publics" reception matters here. I don't think it does. MKWii sold 35+ million copies, and theres countless hugely grossing films the public like and drove up the box office charts that would never be considered for those awards.

I think its ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Goty awards have be on useless recently because essentially everybody is sucking the dick of certain genres of games is read if actually looking deeper. That's why I fuck with giantbomb. Where else is into the breach or Tetris effect going to get major goty hype. I swear people don't play many genre of games and try to just vote on the 3 things they played

Imo a racing game, point and click adventure, multiplayer shooter etc can all be goty

The oscars are bull shit for a reason. Don't turn games into that

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ResetEra community has spoken.

www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | DATA Notes: Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff for assisting in this year's GOTY effort. This year's trophy was designed and created by Rösti. Thank you community for voting and commenting...
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2017

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | FULL DATA Notes A special thank you to the amazing team behind this year's GOTY voting: BeardedMan01 and Muzy who helped with ballots, Hecht and OneAndOnly who created the scripts for vote counting and tabulation, ratrosaw for creating VoteBot, Rösti who...

In the GOTY threads for the last two years, Sony and Nintendo alternate between 1st and 2nd for best publisher, while Microsoft is 12th in 2018 and not on the list in 2017.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Goty awards have be on useless recently because essentially everybody is sucking the dick of certain genres of games is read if actually looking deeper. That's why I fuck with giantbomb. Where else is into the breach or Tetris effect going to get major goty hype. I swear people don't play many genre of games and try to just vote on the 3 things they played

Imo a racing game, point and click adventure, multiplayer shooter etc can all be goty

The oscars are bull shit for a reason. Don't turn games into thay
Giant bomb is as biased towards particular genres and types of games as other publications are towards narrative driven stuff. The only difference is that they like and talk about games you like. That's it

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I mean its nigh impossible to win consensus goty unless youre in the few mainstream genres.

No matter how good Forza is, or how good AoE 4 turns out to be, they aint winning anything.
Ori 2 might take a couple but its not gonna have a chance of majority, for sure.

And while first party had been lackluster, this "consensus goty" is the thing they have to worry least about. It means very little.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ResetEra did give props to Into the Breach and Tetris Effect. #11 and #13 on 2018's GOTY thread.

Oct 25, 2017
So 'GOTY' is about emotions, and emotions only come from story. Got it. Why is 'wowed' purely down to story? Why is emotion purely down to storytelling? Surely you don't mean that? Why is this so limited? Why am I still here?
It just needs to have a lasting impact. How each game goes about doing that will vary.

Halo was once a GotY contender/winner and I think that was more because of the MP and how it really stuck with folk. Never mind the impact it had on MP gaming in general.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Well I never played Bioshock myself, but yeah.. Some years games can TIE in a sense imho when it comes to GOTY.
Also I think everyone knows ME isn;t an MS game, but I am failing to see your point in that regard? Am I missing something here lol? :p
Mass effect was published by MS... How is it not a MS game?

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 2 and 3 were my personal GOTY for their respective years.

I still can't fathom how many hours I put into those two games my late teens through my early college days and mid twenties.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Neat
MixedYawningKookaburra-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
Neat

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just bizarre how many Naughty Dog games are there. While other games are focusing on improving the "gameplay" of their games, Naughty Dog relies on telling stories fantastically and that continually resonates with people.

Obviously they've improved the gameplay of their games, but they're still pretty reliably a 3rd person shooter that is completely dependent on it's story telling chops.

For the record I am 100% on board with that.
Also Naughty Dog gameplay is really underrated. Not the absolute top tier, but still tons of fun.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
You can flip this to the other console makers too, even PC storefronts and developers. There's just a lot of great games released every year.
Sony hasn't had a GOTY not made by Naughty Dog besides God of War in this time frame.
Nintendo hasn't had a GOTY besides BOTW in the same time frame.
Valve hasn't had a GOTY since HL2
Lots of third party games that are on all three consoles along with a few that were console exclusive until recently.

I understand the questionable Microsoft output, but Nintendo has a larger output of games with less GOTYs % and Sony has 1 without Naughty Dog.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but made by Bioware and MS never owned Bioware right? I know the game was exclusive at the time, but still. Maybe at the time you could claim it was a MS game sure. Like Splinter Cell?
Splinter cell was never published by ms afaik and Mass effect was. Mass effect was a ms game just like sunset overdrive was or just like any ready at dawn game or game like detroit become human is a sony game. They paid a significant amount to fund its development and had people from MS working on the game in partnership.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah but made by Bioware and MS never owned Bioware right? I know the game was exclusive at the time, but still. Maybe at the time you could claim it was a MS game sure. Like Splinter Cell?
Nah, Splinter Cell is a Ubisoft game. Mass Effect is a game that was published/funded by Microsoft and developed by BioWare. It's part of their output as a publisher. It's the same way you would say that Spider-Man is a Sony game.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has had a blind spot in the true AAA action/narrative genres that tend to win these awards for a while, but I think Cuphead and Ori both came away with a few GOTY wins. Forza is not something I would play, but they are consistent, high-scoring games that theoretically should be in the running if racing games were ever considered at the end of the year.

We have known this though. That is why they are buying up studios left and right to find some prestige of their own beyond the Halo franchise.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Goty awards obviously favours narrative heavy driven games only Botw being an outlier recently. Which is kinda bullshit when games such as Dark Souls gets completely glossed over even though it has been massive when it comes to inspiring new types of ideas in games.

That's when you question how relevant a "consensus goty" is. It's kinda same bullshit as when the oscars pick that Shakespeare movie over Saving Private Ryan .. examples are almost endless but anyway. Grammys are problematic in the same way lol

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Also 2007 was a crazy year... The fact that halo 3 has like a 94% metacritic but only 6(which is multiple) gotys is crazy.

And to be fair turn 10 or playground has one racing goty like every year even when a granturismo game has co e out since like forza 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.