• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
That can't be right. There's no requirement for using DX12 on PC for the GDK. We're running Quake with Vulkan fine on PC.

I did notice that on your Doom64 port on PC Gamepass there is no option to switch between OGL, Vulkan and DirectX. Whereas the Steam version has that option.

Why is that?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Also, quick curious question, is Quake on Vulkan on Xbox, too?
Heh, no, DX12.
I did notice that on your Doom64 port on PC Gamepass there is no option to switch between OGL, Vulkan and DirectX. Whereas the Steam version has that option.

Why is that?
From what I remember, we had issues presenting the login window for a couple of the renderers if you were in fullscreen mode, so it was better to just keep it on DX11 to prevent the user from locking themselves to a window they couldn't see. The code base is older so while it's been improved, we couldn't really backport any changes to it (the Windows Store version was the last platform we built for Doom64 at the time).

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, no, DX12.

From what I remember, we had issues presenting the login window for a couple of the renderers if you were in fullscreen mode, so it was better to just keep it on DX11 to prevent the user from locking themselves to a window they couldn't see. The code base is older so while it's been improved, we couldn't really backport any changes to it (the Windows Store version was the last platform we built for Doom64 at the time, and predated the new Xbox GDK, IIRC).

Interesting

Also, as an aside, I noticed that there still is a lot of random microstutter when playing the game regardless of which API I used. I read that you guys thought it might be audio related. Are you still planning on patching that?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I don't immediately recall that conversation. I can possibly think maybe it's when loading sounds? But it's not something we've recently noticed, and we can't fix what we can't see. :P

There was an issue that cropped up with the mouse though. Maybe you mean that? That's recent, just a bit of code I need to revert.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Apparently the PC Gamepass version of Bugsnax is also shit, very specifically because of the need for cross-compatibility.

I'm asuming the Steam version can use more than one CPU thread and doesn't have the framerate tank when there's more than a few NPCs on screen.
There is a new patch and it can't even manage to download it... it's just stuck there by ages.
I've just uninstalled it :'D

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
There is a new patch and it can't even manage to download it... it's just stuck there by ages.
I've just uninstalled it :'D

FWIW, I went to Library -> Manage Installs and it started downloading. Not sure if it would've started on its own after a bit had I just left it as is. Update said it would be 6.1 GB but it finished after ~20 seconds so who knows how large it really was.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, I went to Library -> Manage Installs and it started downloading. Not sure if it would've started on its own after a bit had I just left it as is. Update said it would be 6.1 GB but it finished after ~20 seconds so who knows how large it really was.
Yeah sometimes the Xbox app seems to struggle to talk to the windows store app and actually make updates happen. Sometimes going to the store app and telling it to do the update triggers it properly. Once the game is updated then the xbox app realises and updates itself to show that the game has in fact, been updated.

I've heard cryptic talks and good references about winget, which is a package manager that can hook into the windows store stuff and do the updates...but not really had change to mess with it.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Wolfenstein New Order on Gamepass. I had previously played it on PS4 at release.

I was thinking what a terrible port the game is on PC. I was getting input lag and constant microstutters. I couldn't believe it appeared to be struggling on my 3070 at 1440p.

I then did some Googling, and it turns out that the Gamepass version arbitrarily removed full screen mode, and only offers borderless windowed with no way of re-enabling full screen. Borderless window mode was causing all my issues.

I remembered that I had bought the game super cheap on Steam several years ago. I installed that version and sure enough it had the option for full screen. It plays extremely smooth and all of my issues are now gone.

Why in the hell did Microsoft remove full screen from the Gamepass version? It makes absolutely no sense.

There are people saying that it's because DX12 games don't have full screen modes, but Wolfenstein New Order is not a DX12 game.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Given that this is a problem unique to windows store versions of the games, and that several games have had these issues, "lol the devs should just fix it" is not the solution here.

Why? There is no evidence of where the problem lays. Without any inside knowledge of a specific cause you cannot say it is an inherent issue with the Microsoft store. Note my stance is there is not enough info to make a judgment as to where the technical issues are occurring.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
In the PC Gamepass version of Train Sim World 3 you can't display at a resolution higher than 1080p (even if you set it higher in the options). And there is no full screen mode.

Other storefronts have full screen and they can display higher resolutions.

Ugh.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if relevant I also noticed many of the games on the PC version of the sub are missing achievements? Wonder if that even matters to their cert process.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Bump as we finally have a developer confirming that Microsoft forces PC games to go through a lengthy certification process to appear on Gamepass:

steamcommunity.com

Should i play this on steam or gamepass? :: EVERSPACE™ 2 General Discussions

Is there anything different that would lead me to play it on one or the other?

Everspace 2 Dev said:
Further clarity for Gamepass!
If you have the game installed, it should update automatically at launch to an almost-full release build (this is to circumvent certification delays, so you can play as soon as possible). Our best guess ETA would be around a week when the true 1.0 goes live on Gamepass. Playing this build won't miss anything between saves, so you can freely start without the need to restart again.

This is why so many Gamepass PC games perform worse with missing features and bugs that don't appear on other storefront's versions at release.

So basically we are getting a beta of Everspace 2 at release while every other storefront gets the release version. And then *hopefully* in a week we get the release version.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
LMAO at MS "certification process", games like Darksiders Genesis and Mad of Medan were literally unplayable due to crashes and they were never fixed, so it's only a waste of time for developers that actually care about their games...
Btw games with both DX11 and DX12 support ending being DX12 alone on GamePass is another bullshit that need to go away.