• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just reading about how Microsoft currently has two major goals: remove barriers to entry in the software space, and remove barriers to entry in the hardware space.

A major way to achieve this is to no longer require a Xbox or gaming PC to access Gamepass.

I remember Jim Ryan saying that news is coming when asked how Sony is reacting to Gamepass. What if they're not trying to compete but integrate Xbox titles into PlayStation and Switch? Gamepass subs would go through the roof.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's not coming to Switch or PlayStation.
Putting it on Smart TVs achieves that aim of 'removing barriers'.

A major way to achieve this is to no longer require a Xbox or gaming PC to access Gamepass.

You don't need an xbox or PC to access Gamepass today. It's already on mobile phones via streaming.
it'll be on low power laptops and smart TVs via streaming.

What if they're not trying to compete but integrate Xbox titles into PlayStation and Switch? Gamepass subs would go through the roof.

When you realize this means making xbox fully third party, you'd see how unlikely this is.

This gen? No. At some point in the relatively near future. Maybe.

'Relatively near future' is this gen.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
A Gamepass like system on Playstation? Sure. (Though isn't NOW just that)

But no way Sony is letting MS come onto their system and taking a cut. Even with Sony's 30% cut, MS probably steals a good chunk of things like third party / other sales.

Nintendo? Not a chance.

It's not coming to Switch or PlayStation.
Putting it on Smart TVs achieves that aim of 'removing barriers'.

Yep. This is the play here imo.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. Sony and Nintendo have their own ecosystems, and would sooner launch their own service than accept Game Pass on it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They won't. Sony and Nintendo would gain very little by giving Microsoft a free pass to take their third party software sales away.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
it's not coming to platforms where other people are able to charge for the privilege of playing online and they can't

oh and like others brought up, sony and nintendo don't want to lose part of their 30% cut on games to microsoft

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the first time this fruit loopy insane suggestion has come up.

Do you guys actually just not understand how much money Nintendo and Sony would be giving up to do that? Sony makes billions in profit from third party sales, and no amount of money Microsoft could offer them would be worth giving it up

Oct 27, 2017
You realize Nintendo and Sony would have to approve it on their consoles, right? How does that make any sense? For them to essentially cannibalize their own 3rd party software sales???

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
what's with forum's fixation of thinking MS as the 'savior' of gaming?

you guys really want 'consolidation'? Have you really think it through other than 'it's good for my wallet'?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful that Sony would approve it if they did. Sony would lose more unless they restrict it to first party titles only which I can't see ms doing.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
what's with forum's fixation of thinking MS as the 'savior' of gaming?

you guys really want 'consolidation'? Have you really think it through other than 'it's good for my wallet'?

OP isn't talking about consolidation. He's talking about MS basically going third party with Game Pass. It'd be the opposite of consolidation.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It means computers and mobile. How many people own a PS4/5 or Switch (outside of children and even then...) and don't own a computer or mobile phone? That means the barrier of entry has been reduced. They're not going to put it on rival systems.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not by my definition, obviously, or I wouldn't have said what I said directly before. When I say 'relatively near future,' I'm talking 10-20 years, and I doubt this gen will last that long until the next gen and/or refresh.
If you said your definition of "near future" to something around the time the PS3 was launched, it would start happening either in the first half of the ps4 life or into the ps5. So it's a very "distant" future, if you catch my drift.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't decided by Ms, but by Sony and Nintendo and they would be crazy to allow it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
On a long enough timeline anything is possible. Do I think there's any inkling of a plan to do something like this? Absolutely not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It means computers and mobile. How many people own a PS4/5 or Switch (outside of children and even then...) and don't own a computer or mobile phone? That means the barrier of entry has been reduced. They're not going to put it on rival systems.

To be fair, nobody who owns a console wants to play AAA console games on their phone.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If you said your definition of "near future" to something around the time the PS3 was launched, it would start happening either in the first half of the ps4 life or into the ps5. So it's a very "distant" future, if you catch my drift.

Nah, I think I know what I meant better than anyone else. I'm good.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I can see a "gamepass lite" service that only includes MS first party going to them because it's a "the games are there only if gamepass is" scenario, but just general gamepass seems very unlikely for me for this gen.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
OP isn't talking about consolidation. He's talking about MS basically going third party with Game Pass. It'd be the opposite of consolidation.

MS is not porting all the games natively to the Playstation platform...that much is guaranteed because of the cost involved. Games porting and development is not a simple 'save as playstation format' in Visual Studio.

If you are talking about xcloud on Playstation, that's even less likely as allowing that means ppl on playstation will have less incentive to spend money on the Playstation store. Why would sony (or nintendo) allow a rival platform into their ecosystem such that it will take away revenues from them?

You do know all the platform owners wanted out of its user's base is money, right?

This topic is so delusionary in its 'utopian' vision, it's astounding. It reminds me of myself when i was 8 and thought you can just plug in a sega genesis cart into a NES and it will work.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I think MS would prefer smart tv's and iOS to reach more customers. I could maybe see Gamepass on a Nintendo system far down the line...but PlayStation? Nah, never happen and I don't even think MS would want it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
MS is not porting all the games natively to the Playstation platform...that much is guaranteed because of the cost involved. Games porting and development is not a simple 'save as playstation format' in Visual Studio.

If you are talking about xcloud on Playstation, that's even less likely as allowing that means ppl on playstation will have less incentive to spend money on the Playstation store. Why would sony (or nintendo) allow a rival platform into their ecosystem such that it will take away revenues from them?

You do know all the platform owners wanted out of its user's base is money, right?

This topic is so delusionary in its 'utopian' vision.

Did you quote the wrong person lol. I was just explaining what the OP is talking about isn't consolidation, at least not in the traditional sense.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Did you quote the wrong person lol. I was just explaining what the OP is talking about isn't consolidation, at least not in the traditional sense.

again, i'm saying MS is not going '3rd party' as it's not going to port all their 1st party games natively to playstation due to cost.

and xCloud isn't coming to Playstation because why the hell would sony allows that? Someone needs to explain to me why would sony deliberately sabotage their revenue stream? because '4thegamers'?

both scenarios of it happening is next to nothing and even harboring that throught borders on delusional.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
again, i'm saying MS is not going '3rd party' as it's not going to port all their 1st party games natively to playstation due to cost.

and xCloud isn't coming to Playstation because why the hell would sony allows that? Someone needs to explain to me why would sony deliberately sabotage their revenue stream? because '4thegamers'?

both scenarios of it happening is next to nothing and even harboring that throught borders on delusional.

I mean, I know what you're saying. I'm just not sure why you're saying it to me since it doesn't relate to my comment. You're not wrong with your assessment or anything, I largely agree, just weren't sure how you were relating that to consolidation or people thinking MS was a savior or anything lol

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Nintendo or Sony ever allow Game Pass to come to their platforms? It would allow MS to directly cut in to their revenue.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It'd be awesome if Microsoft inked a deal with Nintendo, the switch really would be an awesome gamepass device and they could even add the option where if a game was ported to switch, you could download it to run natively. That said, don't see that happening for a number of reasons, Microsoft is likely way more into pursuing non gaming specific platforms to try and broaden the audience.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Nah. Going onto other consoles is thinking to small and harmful to the Xbox eco system (pretty much Xbox bending the knee to PS/Nintendo) so I don't see it happening. They'll make pushes towards being available on mobile devices and smart TVs through xCloud and completely skip the middleman. Same with PC, they keep their client but also have a streaming client like stadia. The next piece of the puzzle is keyboard and mouse support natively in all future XGS games so that the option exists

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They gotta make it to windows, Apple devices, TVs, streaming sticks (or their own stick), web apps etc first. There's still no way to play it on a TV, unlike stadia and Luna. They did that first. Heck, I even want a Xbox controller to connect via wifi to their servers, for less latency. Then there's the matter of being 1080p-4k

I'm surprised their competitors got there first

A lot of priorities to achieve first, before switch and ps5 being a thing. I see Nintendo being more open to it than Sony, in a far off future

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think it's too out there on the nintendo side of things. still unlikely though

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It'd be awesome if Microsoft inked a deal with Nintendo, the switch really would be an awesome gamepass device and they could even add the option where if a game was ported to switch, you could download it to run natively. That said, don't see that happening for a number of reasons, Microsoft is likely way more into pursuing non gaming specific platforms to try and broaden the audience.

explain to me why would nintendo allows that especially the bolded..

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Hardware includes PC and Mobile which is where Microsoft is expanding. Xbox already covers consoles, and Game Pass with Xcloud is meant to expand the brand to PC and Mobile.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Microsoft's "goal" doesn't have anything to do with Sony or Nintendo, and they're the ones who decide what goes on their platforms.