• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet (and there would be little point since you can download the games and play them in much better quality imo), but I suspect that's the long-term game plan (perhaps in 2 years, when XSX exclusives start dropping). Once Xbox Series X blade and installed into the data centers, and especially once they upgrade to 1080p, 1440p, or 4k streams, I have to image they'll enable streaming for the original Xbox Ones consoles.
Being able to do 4k streaming of Series X games on to something like a One S will be interesting (would that even be a possible use case?). I don't know how well it compares, but my only experience with doing 4k streaming is with nvidia gamestream/moonlight to my Shield TV and that literally looks indistinguishable from native/connecting my PC to my TV (local streaming though)

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I have found xclod to be very useful to try games I've never heard of before without having to download them. I hope xcloud gets integrated with the OS and gamepass to allow you to try games before you download them or even wait for them to download. I would've never downloaded or try Yoku's Island Express if it wasn't on xcloud and I'm glad I got to try it because it's a really fun game.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Being able to do 4k streaming of Series X games on to something like a One S will be interesting (would that even be a possible use case?). I don't know how well it compares, but my only experience with doing 4k streaming is with nvidia gamestream/moonlight to my Shield TV and that literally looks indistinguishable from native/connecting my PC to my TV (local streaming though)

It's definitely possible, and I have no doubt that will happen. It would probably look and work great, it would just have slightly more artifacts and a bit of latency.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I wonder if this is worth looking at an Android for my next phone, assuming Apple doesn't get their heads out of their ass about it. I've used Onecast a bit, but it's kind of laggy and unstable (even with a wired connection for the Xbox) plus I can only use it pretty close to the console.

How's Android compare to iOS these days? Is it pretty easy for a longtime iPhone user to switch over?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this is worth looking at an Android for my next phone, assuming Apple doesn't get their heads out of their ass about it. I've used Onecast a bit, but it's kind of laggy and unstable (even with a wired connection for the Xbox) plus I can only use it pretty close to the console.

How's Android compare to iOS these days? Is it pretty easy for a longtime iPhone user to switch over?

I doubt you will have any issues.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Can't seem to be able to stream.
I have both the streaming app and the gamepass one, but in the first I can't get past an info screen, and in the second one I can install games but cannot run them on the cloud.
I am not using an xbox controller, I sadly left it at home.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Can't seem to be able to stream.
I have both the streaming app and the gamepass one, but in the first I can't get past an info screen, and in the second one I can install games but cannot run them on the cloud.
I am not using an xbox controller, I sadly left it at home.

Are you using the Beta Game Pass app? For me the standard Game Pass app doesn't have the streaming option but the app with "Beta" in the title does.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Are you using the Beta Game Pass app? For me the standard Game Pass app doesn't have the streaming option but the app with "Beta" in the title does.
That might be it, I installed the fist game pass app I found that was from MS.
Nope, the app was not updated.
But I still can't launch the games, seems the controller is mandatory for launching them.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
That might be it, I installed the fist game pass app I found that was from MS.

I did the same and then had to download the Beta app afterwards. I think to the main app it's coming in September but if you want to try it now you need to download the app titled "Xbox Game Pass (Beta)".

Nope, the app was not updated.
But I still can't launch the games, seems the controller is mandatory for launching them.

When you say launch do you mean you can't start them? I started Killer Instinct using the Beta app. The title screen showed up but I got a popup message saying I needed a controller. There was an option to continue which I did and I just saw the intro video (can't do anything but the games launch).

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm in love with the service (works awesome here) but one thing they should add is a global pinch to zoom.
GeForce Now app recently add it too and it was a game changer.
It feels totally natural and solves the problem that you are generally playing on a small screen not made for many of the games available, with writings too small to be read.
Both writings heavy games like RPGs or simply read a tutorial for what to do next are totally playable with that.
Pinch to zoom feels totally at home with mobile devices and doesn't detract at all from the experience.
Sent this as feedback in the beta app as well, I really hope they add it.

Another thing I really would like to know is that if they will at least add YOUR OWN CONSOLE STREAMING to the iOS app (which should be permitted by Apple rules)....it's not xCloud but at least it's something.

Those (together with the whole Gamepass catalogue) are my only requests for a great service.
After completing many games on it already (Gears 5, Halo 5, both Ori...) I'm playing a ton of Sea of Thieves on a Samsung 8+ with my son (on PC) and it's dead perfect.
Looks glorious too.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
Sideloaded this on my new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and it worked great. The IQ was not as good as on a native Xbox but very playable.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have found xclod to be very useful to try games I've never heard of before without having to download them. I hope xcloud gets integrated with the OS and gamepass to allow you to try games before you download them or even wait for them to download. I would've never downloaded or try Yoku's Island Express if it wasn't on xcloud and I'm glad I got to try it because it's a really fun game.
It definitely has become a bit of a demo runner for me and will in the future. Wanna try a game quick before I download. No problem. I will probably play most games on the console but being able to try something quick is amazing.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today is my worst xcloud day by far, I'm getting the "trying to reconnect" message every 2 mins and very noticeable input lag. Everything was fine yesterday

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I gave it a shot and I'm really impressed. When I had a good connection it was pretty damn Indistinguishable from a game on my local machine.

Funny enough though. On our wifi it ran pretty mediocerly. We have an integrated 2.4/5ghz with the router managing them on the same SSD. Which basically meant that it was trying to make us run off of 2.4ghz the entire time. That was pretty rough since you could see and hear the bandwidth of 2.4ghz capping out. It was only when I switched off wifi and used my 4G LTE did the experience turn butter smooth. So given that, it's pretty much guarenteed that if our router wasn't being stupid and actually put my device on the 5ghz network like I've told it to, I'd have a great experience on wifi.

Of course that said. The only two places I'd use Xcloud are on my Surface Pro 7... Which I have a dock+Ethernet...and in the road, which I have 4G LTE. So all of my bases are covered.

I tested it out with Forza Horizon 4 (and was reminded how much I suck at Forza) and Halo MCC where I did a Round of Firefight with the Grunt-a-polooza settings. Both ran great though and it was amazing to see Halo running on my Phone.

All that said, they've got me. I went out and preordered the Razer Kishi (Xbox) controller and I'll be good to go come September 1st

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it sounds like those devices might not be ideal for xCloud. Especially if you're using WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time, since the chip in those tablets combines them together.
Sound is choppy even without Bluetooth turned on, the stream plays perfect though actually better than my shield tv

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My gamepass app is loading much faster and pausing less since the update on both my shield tv and fire 8 tablet, I'm still getting static in my sound on the fire 8 though

Apr 21, 2018
Stupide question.
If i'm not interested in the Gamepass, Can i buy Xbox games separately and play them on tablet through Xcloud ?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is MS' future in the gaming space and they're going to get a headstart in becoming the market leader of streaming games.

They have the right model here.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is MS' future in the gaming space and they're going to get a headstart in becoming the market leader of streaming games.

They have the right model here.
Same. I'm trying not to "fanboy" out, but they're doing the most to push things forward. It's crazy that you get their new games when they come out with Game Pass. Sony really needs an answer next gen IMHO.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
hmm i have google play store sideloaded on my fire HD 10 tablet but the app says its not compatible in the play store, works fine on my phone.... but i want it on my tablet! i even tried to sideload just the apk and i get a parsing error.

anyone run into either of these issues and find a fix?

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
hmm i have google play store sideloaded on my fire HD 10 tablet but the app says its not compatible in the play store, works fine on my phone.... but i want it on my tablet! i even tried to sideload just the apk and i get a parsing error.

anyone run into either of these issues and find a fix?
Is it the 2017 or 2019 model? 2017 is Android 5 based and I believe not usable for xCloud.
I have 2017 and can't install and believe that's why. I hope I'm wrong though

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Without subscription ?
Thanks for your answer anyway :)
Yes, without a Game Pass subscription. Now whether there is a Cloud Gaming Sub outside of that, who knows. Google offers 1080p streaming for free I believe, so hopefully Microsoft will want to stay competitive with that and not charge you to stream games as well. But who knows.

A recent Verge article about xCloud and Game Pass had a little section talking about their future plans:
The Verge said:
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will be the only way to access xCloud streaming at launch, but it won't always be limited to Microsoft's top subscription tier.

"Over time we will continue to expand how we introduce streaming as part of the platform, and playing games that you own that aren't part of the subscription," says Microsoft's Xbox chief Phil Spencer in an interview with The Verge. "For launch we're putting it in Ultimate for no additional cost. We think it's a good audience for us to start with, and it's an audience that plays a lot of games."

Anyway, I believe their end goal is to stream every game to any internet connected screen. How long until they get there? No idea. They have been talking about a 2 year journey with project xCloud, so maybe it will take them 2 years to build it all out. We'll see.

Apr 21, 2018
Yes, without a Game Pass subscription. Now whether there is a Cloud Gaming Sub outside of that, who knows. Google offers 1080p streaming for free I believe, so hopefully Microsoft will want to stay competitive with that and not charge you to stream games as well. But who knows.

A recent Verge article about xCloud and Game Pass had a little section talking about their future plans:

Anyway, I believe their end goal is to stream every game to any internet connected screen. How long until they get there? No idea. They have been talking about a 2 year journey with project xCloud, so maybe it will take them 2 years to build it all out. We'll see.
Thanks again for your time ;)

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I got a new phone and been testing this out. It is only showing about 12 or so games to play. I was playing Streets of Rage 4 and it worked great...but I thought there were more games?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Is that under Cloud? Because when I hit that it says "Jump back in" and next to it is "show all" and that is where it lists only about a dozen or so games.

Yea, you actually need to swipe up from there.

SpartyCrunch this is actually a good point. I was talking to some friends and they didn't realize they could swipe up and see more game since there are no visual hints that there is more on the page like there is in the large game headers on the top. I thought I was crazy when they said it but suppose that without that visual cue, some people might not think to swipe up.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, you actually need to swipe up from there.
Hmmm when I swipe up it just shows 2 or so more games, but still the same games....and I just counted and it only has 8 games. Something seems off. I am in the Beta app and I think there is something I am missing since the games showing were games i played back a month+ ago when I was in the beta for xcloud.

edit-

I figured it out. I was hitting the jump back in instead of not hitting that and scrolling down. Now the other games are showing up.

Thank You!

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm when I swipe up it just shows 2 or so more games, but still the same games....and I just counted and it only has 8 games. Something seems off. I am in the Beta app and I think there is something I am missing since the games showing were games i played back a month+ ago when I was in the beta for xcloud.

edit-

I figured it out. I was hitting the jump back in instead of not hitting that and scrolling down. Now the other games are showing up.

Thank You!

Ok! I was just about to post a little video haha

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Does that work well with a protector on your phone or do you need to take the case protector off? I don't know what the Razer Kishi is...going to google that right now.

The S20 Ultra is gigantic so I have to pop off my case when I use it. The Kishi is expensive but it is a USB C connection to the phone vs bluetooth so it helps cut a layer of latency.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sideloaded this on my new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and it worked great. The IQ was not as good as on a native Xbox but very playable.

I've been searching reddit for instructions on this but haven't gotten anywhere, would you mind letting me know where you got the apk for this?

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been searching reddit for instructions on this but haven't gotten anywhere, would you mind letting me know where you got the apk for this?

Alright, Google got me there eventually. If anyone else becomes curious, I downloaded the APK from here:

www.apkmirror.com

Xbox Game Pass (Beta) 2008.315.813 APK Download by Microsoft Corporation - APKMirror

Xbox Game Pass (Beta) 2008.315.813 APK Download by Microsoft Corporation - APKMirror Free and safe Android APK downloads

(this was dumb and dangerous but I am dumb so meh) (the arm64v8 version which I am definitely not positive was the best one to use but seems to work)

Then transfered it from my android phone to my Shield TV with an app called Send To TV which you download from the play store on both your phone and Shield. Then install with whatever file manager you like, and it actually is basically working perfect. Really really fucking cool.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Well the app is now coming up with a mesage saying my region isn't supported so that's progress of sorts lol