• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I have! I spend a decent amount of time streaming from my PC to iPad using Moonlight, which uses the same tech as Geforce Now for compression+streaming. I can stream to my iPad at 120Hz and I swear the latency is imperceptible, feels native. It's nuts.

Great to hear that. I'm usually big on owning physical media and I will continue to buy my favorite games physically as long as it's possible. But the development in games streaming is really exciting. It opens up so many more possibilities to play and it already works great in general. I still dislike not having a real license for each game, so with the rotation, games come and go from these services. Still, exciting times ahead. I'm hoping MS keeps improving the infrastructure and performance and I'm looking forward to them switching to Series X blades as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we use 360 controllers? I might have an adapter somewhere to connect USB A to the USB-C on my phone and see if that improves input lag more.

I was surprised that Halo 5, a 60 fps game, felt like it had much less input lag than FH4 which is 30 fps. You would think a 30 fps game would have more buffer to absorb the input lag but it felt like there was 3X the input lag in FH4 than Halo 5. Maybe my senses are just wrong though.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing the reason people have wildly different input lag is mostly down to distance from servers? Is there a map of where the servers are located?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Can we use 360 controllers? I might have an adapter somewhere to connect USB A to the USB-C on my phone and see if that improves input lag more.

I was surprised that Halo 5, a 60 fps game, felt like it had much less input lag than FH4 which is 30 fps. You would think a 30 fps game would have more buffer to absorb the input lag but it felt like there was 3X the input lag in FH4 than Halo 5. Maybe my senses are just wrong though.
Needs to be a Bluetooth controller.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure FH4 is using 60Hz for input, despite the game being 30fps so that's why it feels less laggy than most 30fps games.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I'm stumped, help appreciated:

I have side-loaded the Google Play store onto my Kindle Fire, but no matter what search terms I use on the store or how much I dig around there is absolutely no Game Pass app, streaming, beta or otherwise, to download.

Any clue as to why it's not showing up at all? Does the Play store somehow filter available apps based on the device it's installed on?

Edit: Never mind, found a direct link to install it, only to be told my device isn't compatible. Oh well. Here's hoping Apple see sense at some point.

Last edited:

TURBO1112

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to login into my Ark server but having issues entering password. Says tap to enter text but no keyboard pops up

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Tried my fiancee's phone too and we just can't get the Play button to appear. We're on the beta app, subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate, & have a Dualshock 4 hooked up via blutooth. I'm in the UK if that's preventing anything? Wouldn't think so though

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
Found an old Lenovo tablet and seems to be stuck in some boot loop. Just keeps saying "Android is starting. Optimising 1 of 1" and then rebooting.

might have to buy a cheap tablet. Damn you apple!

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Albion
Got it going on my cheapo Chromebook, using my Stadia controller hard wired. Streets of Rage 4 was my first choice. Running really well.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in the Project xCloud test app already, but I just won a Bleeding Edge match while using the Game Pass beta app in Android, playing on a Galaxy S9 with a Razer Kishi controller attachment. Verrrrry mild artifacting and screen judder mid-match. Great button-tap responsiveness. This is all on my router's 5GHz band.

Stadia is so, so very screwed, if my smartphone on Game Pass Cloud has better button-press response than a wired Chromecast Ultra.
Overall thoughts on Kishi? Close to pulling the trigger.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
This is kinda useless on my small phone screen...will wait when I have a tablet or whatever...too small for now,like in For the King I can hardly read the text and its not launching anyway...might try other games tomorrow to see if I have the same button layout problems...I had to close the App completly because I could not get out of the game to try another one.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Tried my fiancee's phone too and we just can't get the Play button to appear. We're on the beta app, subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate, & have a Dualshock 4 hooked up via blutooth. I'm in the UK if that's preventing anything? Wouldn't think so though
You closed and reopened the app? That's what hat did the trick for me.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Seriously amazing, just synced the DS4 to my phone and is working flawlessly with the app.

Streaming has some hiccups (Portugal here). Delay is noticeable.

All my saves were available from the cloud as well.

Edit: Killer Instinct is unplayable for me for now, too much lag.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Uff lag seems pretty bad here. Killer Instinct and the actions come out what must be 500ms late.
I also get a lot of sound distortion and mini freezes. Surprisingly the load times are great, better than on my (now dead) One X.
Streaming quality seems hit and miss - either heavy blocking or clean, depending on the game?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Overall thoughts on Kishi? Close to pulling the trigger.

It's..... okay. *Definitely* not worth $100, in terms of the button and trigger quality, but the joysticks are solid. I'm on the hunt for a better attach-to-phone controller option to test out for a future Ars article, because the concept is great, and in terms of instantly syncing to my Android USB Type-C set--just plug it in, and it works--the Kishi delivers. But Razer didn't really update the buttons when they licensed this whole thing from Gamevice, who made a nearly identical product a while back, and it's like, what? These ABXY buttons are MUSHY. A total head-scratcher.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've tried a few games so far, using an S10 and Razer Kishi.

Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 were by far the worst for performance (probably more to do with the XB1S servers than anything). They both had bad framerates and what seemed like dropped frames in hectic moments, and Forza suffered from some weird audio issues. I'd say Gears was far more playable than Forza.

Streets of Rage 4 was great however. Input lag was good enough for me, I blew through the first level with no trouble. Halo 3 from the MCC ran well also, and felt pretty good up until I had a server timeout.

Overall it feels like a beta, but I'm really hopeful for the service after this. I'm definitely going to keep trying the service since I'm already subscribed as is. It's definitely going to be a per-game thing for me, as some games will work better than others for this kind of setup. Still super cool.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Just a reminder if you have Android 10 you can direct connect an Xbox One controller to your phone to use this, which reduces input lag which helps with the overall lag. Same way 60 fps stuff plays better.

Thats also one of the reasons the Kishi is so desirable to me. Shaving off some Bluetooth input lag makes a difference.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lol playing Forza horizon on my Samsung with a PS4 controller is Fu** surreal.

Only overshadowed by me playing gears of war 5 on my PC with a PS4 controller in coop with a friend playing on Xbox using voice chat hahaha. I love this so much XD

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Uff lag seems pretty bad here. Killer Instinct and the actions come out what must be 500ms late.
I also get a lot of sound distortion and mini freezes. Surprisingly the load times are great, better than on my (now dead) One X.
Streaming quality seems hit and miss - either heavy blocking or clean, depending on the game?

This must be the day where they have the biggest number of people testing the service.

Severe lag with sound and image syncing in Streets of Rage 4 as well.

The touch pad in the DS4 acts as a mouse pointer inside the app.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impressions
Ori and Streets of Rage 4 are pretty much perfect
Halo MCC and Halo 5 has impressive input lag (not perfect but really playable)... but a bit too low bitrate stream
Forza Horizon looks just bad. Too much macroblocking but playa great
Sea of thieves looks and playa great!

overall i think the bitrate should be a bit higher but latency is ok. You can really feel that the xbone s server blades hamper the experience since many games drop frames - almosy none are a perfect 60 on that old hardware

will det use for local coop instead of splitscreen

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anybody else with strange button mapping in-game? The Xbox A button is the square button on my PS4 controller . Xbox B is x on PS4. Etc. Start button to open menu didn't work in Forza.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
There's more of us out there
EfLF8lKXoAUOVVU

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
... how do I access this? I've got gamepass ultimate in Android and the streaming app and nothing.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
One advantage of having an older phone is 16:9 screen so I don't have black bars. Just tried Plague Tale and it looks great on a small screen.

Oct 27, 2017
... how do I access this? I've got gamepass ultimate in Android and the streaming app and nothing.
Go to the Play store, update the app (45 MB update), force close the app, then reopen it and you should see the "cloud" tab on the left like in Falus' screen shot:

Unless you're in a region that doesn't have it yet. Some people are randomly getting issues even when they have compatible phones, controllers, and live in the US so maybe there's some luck to it too.

Oct 29, 2017
Working great for me. Played some MCC, video quality looked great, controller connected via Bluetooth felt great, a couple audio hitches here and there but extremely playable.