• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Can't find the normal version either, not sure why. Tried direct search and looking up apps from Microsoft Corporation. But both apps do show up on my phone.
Think Amazon devices go to a different store than google play so you won't see the Xbox app. Think its an Amazon thing. I've read it is better to use non Amazon android devices for xCloud.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wondered the same thing no one answered me though
From the OP:

This game streaming beta won't have the full 100 or more games that will be available next month, but expect around 30 or so titles to play tomorrow. Microsoft is still planning to discontinue its Project xCloud Preview on September 11th, ahead of the general launch on September 15th.

Sounds like it'll last until September 11.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft is releasing xCloud in stages over the next two years. As others have already said, the servers right now have weak Xbox One S blades. Can't do 1080p with those. They plan to switch to Xbox Series X blades soon so hopefully in 2021 we will start seeing 1080p as well as support for tv apps, etc.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously what the hell? Has there been any communication by Microsoft about when it would go live today?

To be fair, there was never any official communication through MS channels about it, it came out through The Verge and other sites so until we get something from MS themselves, I'm not sure what's going on.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't install the Game Pass beta on my Fire HD 10. It's not showing up for me in the Google Play Store, and trying to install the APK mirror version gives me parsing errors. Might try it on my phone, but I guess without a controller mount playing on such a small screen won't be fun.

what generation fire hd 10 do you have? if it's not one of the newest ones it won't have the Fire OS thats based on the updated Android OS you need for game pass. My fire HD10 i got for my son 2 years ago doesn't work because it's not on whatever Fire OS is required.

Oct 27, 2017

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
This is such an obnoxious post. It is 720p because their plan has always been to focus mobile at launch. They use Xbox One S hardware currently for streaming.

Xbox One S is capable of >720 though surely?

When they can offer 1080p+ streaming I will throw money at them, but this isn't going to touch Stadia until it can offer competitive streaming.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such an obnoxious post. It is 720p because their plan has always been to focus mobile at launch. They use Xbox One S hardware currently for streaming.
Wboxnlne s may render a lot of game sub 1080p but it's not the issue here the streaming is very bad. 720p with low bitrate. GeForce now or stadia mostly looks miles better at 720p

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Wboxnlne s may render a lot of game sub 1080p but it's not the issue here the streaming is very bad. 720p with low bitrate. GeForce now or stadia mostly looks miles better at 720p

Those games on Stadia are rendering at higher internal resolutions and will look better at a 720p/60 stream vs an Xbox One S running a game at a dynamic 900p at 720p/60.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Its mobile first. Rest comes when they upgrade the blades with Series X blades. Wich to be fair you want when you wanna play on PC or a TV
It's primary intention is for you to be able to bring your games on the go. That's how they're marketing it. I'd imagine though that we'll see PC / TV apps & 1080p+ show up when they switch from Xbox One to Series X blades in 2021. They've already confirmed that 1080p is coming soon and that a Windows 10 app is in development.

Appreciate the reply, haven't really been keeping track of it all on the xbox side of things. Good to hear its all in the works though. Honestly speaking after using stadia and geforce now more and more I can easily this sort of thing being the main way I game going forward so getting that support for tv and pc really go a long way for me.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those games on Stadia are rendering at higher internal resolutions and will look better at a 720p/60 stream vs an Xbox One S running a game at a dynamic 900p at 720p/60.
Im really speaking about the quality of the steam. Macro blocks everywhere. And any dark area has a lot of pixels on Xcloud (and that strange grid in the background )

Rnqx5sk.jpg

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does Tom warren know what's going on with this? Pretty sure he was first to report this was happening in the first place

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For the avoidance of doubt, if you WEREN'T in the original streaming preview you want the "Game pass (beta)" app:-

EDIT - i downloaded the beta app and it looks the same as the normal app...doesn't look like any streaming functionality has been added yet.

play.google.com

Xbox Game Pass (Beta) – Apps on Google Play

Discover and download new games to your Xbox One console from a mobile device.

If you were in the original streaming text (project xcloud) then you access that via a completely different app (note the "xcloud" in the URL):-

play.google.com

Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) - Apps on Google Play

Play Xbox games on your mobile phone or tablet.

Lastly if you just want the main/current game pass app then the link is below but this WON'T have any game streaming in it (either the new public program or the original xcloud program):-

play.google.com

Xbox Game Pass - Apps on Google Play

Discover and download new games to your Xbox One console from a mobile device.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
It just seems strange to me how there has basically been no actual communication. If it was some miscommunication I would have expected Microsoft to correct it by now though

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If it's any consolation you need decent broadband AND a decent 5ghz wifi signal...when it work's its great but please keep all your expectations in check.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Still nothing, etc, blah. I didn't know about then switching to XSX blades later on. If that manages to give good quality 1080p60 with HDR and good latency, I may keep my subscription at least until Everwild releases. I don't think I'll have a XSX by then, yet, so it's cool. If they manage a 4k60hdr stream on TV app then I'm already sold.

A71 will be like switch lite screen wise because of aspect ratio
wFjzVo6.jpg

What game is that down there?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still nothing, etc, blah. I didn't know about then switching to XSX blades later on. If that manages to give good quality 1080p60 with HDR and good latency, I may keep my subscription at least until Everwild releases. I don't think I'll have a XSX by then, yet, so it's cool. If they manage a 4k60hdr stream on TV app then I'm already sold.

What game is that down there?
Breakpoint

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
This probably was going to happen today but between the Halo delay and Series X launch month announcement, I wouldn't be surprised if they held off on this for a day or two.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine higher streaming resolutions and higher bitrates help a lot, regardless of the content's native res. Out of the game streaming services I've used (well, just GeforceNOW and xcloud on ios with mcc for now), xcloud was significantly worse in terms of image quality and the stream was very prone to artifacts.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why I keep checking. I'm already in the beta and pretty certain it will be the same games lol.

Weird that there is no official mention of this, even if the article was wrong